Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Electronics and Navigation

apargoffapargoff Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Jeep
I have a 2004 Jeep liberty and the radio has gone crazy. The time is only in military time and won't change back. The radio stations won't show up correctly and the disc tracks keep randomly changing. How can I reset my radio?

Comments

• fitchly3fitchly3 Member Posts: 1
    The radio in my Jeep Liberty has also gone crazy. When I'm searching for a station it goes all the way up to 138.7FM and all of the buttons are set to 138.7FM and I can't reset them. I can set one, but if i turn the car off or change the station at all, it doesn't stay set. It goes back to 138.7FM Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should try to fix it? Everything else works fine...it's only the radio.?!
  • amentzeamentze Member Posts: 4
    I've experienced a couple of radio issues:

1. All presets get wiped out occasionally after restarting the vehicle. The problem eventually gets to the point where the radio is completely dead. The problem appears to be battery related. I noticed the negative terminal and cable were covered in what looked like green mineral deposits. I cleaned them off with a wire brush and the radio came back to life. After a short time, the growth was back and I began to experience the problems all over again. During my last visit to the dealer, they cleaned the terminal and cable and sprayed them with some blue substance and I haven't had any problems since.

2. Adjusting the mid-range slider of the equalizer to its lowest position kills the volume and causes the display to intermittently flash off and on as if there was a loose connection.
  • e_int_brewere_int_brewer Member Posts: 1
    I installed an ipod integration kit in my 2007 Liberty. It seems to work really well (with a premium radio), except for the display. It seems that it only displays the first ~10 characters of the song title (or artist/album depending on what mode is selected. Also displayed is the channel number and then the time, e.g,

song titl CH45 8:49 PM

The display does not scroll/cycle through the song title/artist like it does when on an FM station.

Is this normal, or some incompatibility with the ipod integration kit and my radio?
  • ree691ree691 Member Posts: 8
    Can someone please help my radio issues? It just stops working. After about 7 or 8 hours of playing it just quits.
    Terminals and cables are clean. Very aggravating on long trips. Please help....Going to dealer again tomorrow.
    Is there any kind of relay that would heat up and stop radio from playing? Just thought I'd ask this question again. :mad:
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    My 2005 CRD radio has a rare intermittent problem loosing or not making the satellite connection when starting the vehicle. It hasn't done this for a long time, knock on wood (forehead close enough). When it does this, all I hear is loud static and maybe faint station in the background. I believe that some people had their radios replaced under warrantee for this problem - I did not.

Anyway, after a stop, if I turn the key over to acc, turn the head lights on and off and then restart the engine the radio comes back. This also cures - until it happens again - a problem with my air conditioning. Is there a static build up that is drained by doing this? I don't know. This vehicle has more bugs that Missouri has chiggers.

I jerked the totally crappy radio out of my Japanese car and replaced it with a Sony that is terrific. How can a Japanese car not come with a good radio?
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    You may not believe this, but I read a long time ago that the ECU was also handling the digital radio signal :P

Stochastic interference should not build up during satellite transmission. You would need to be hard wired to the satellite. All depends where you live :confuse:
    It's not the Satellite radio at all, its the radio itself.
    My XM is separate from my Jeep radio. When the radio goes out, my satellite radio still works. :cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We're consolidating all the electronics and navigation discussions into this topic. This will include stereo equipment, computers, communication systems and so on.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nsande1nsande1 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering a 2008 Liberty and have a question about rear DVD. The MyGig system includes a DVD player which will play on the in- dash system with the vehicle in park. However, we want a rear DVD monitor for the MyGIG system but don't know if it is possible. It is not shown as an option through the Jeep build your own program at Jeep.com. So if we want rear DVD will we have to install an aftermarket player for the back seat? Sort of goofy if that is the case.
  • yakersyakers Member Posts: 10
    Stupid me, I bought the ipod kit and installed it. Worked the ipod very well and the stereo CD/radio is fine but I did not know that it would preempt the Sirius. OK, I can live without Sirius especially around town. What I did not know is that the ipod kit also knocks out UCONNECT. Now I can live without bluetooth phone through the stereo but my wife can't. So I disconnected the ipod kit and restored the system. Looks like $200 down the drain on the ipod kit. Would work great in a Liberty without Sirius & UCONNECT.
  • tbj08tbj08 Member Posts: 1
    There is no display on my radio. No time display or station information. The radio works as does the CD player. The back lighting is working.
    Is the display shot or can it be fixed?
  • tussrock3211tussrock3211 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my wife a TomTom for Christmas abd it has an option for a ipod hook up, but in order to do this your stereo has to have a 3.5mm connector on it. Does anyone know if the stock Liberty cd and cassette player has this. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!
  • gliebglieb Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a factory Sirius radio in her 2006 Liberty and we are trying to activate it, but we can't even get channel 184 audio, so something is wrong. We DO have a Serial number displayed so there must be a receiver in there somewhere. Sirius says they've activated it. Where is it physically, so I can at least check antenna connections to it? Thanks.
  • bedfordresbedfordres Member Posts: 5
    I have everything figured out on this vehicle but the ability to upload pictures to the HDD. I've tried using a CD, the digital camera and a DYNEX memory card R/W that reads a SD card. The sys does tell me the DYNEX is an invalid device. However with the CD and the camera it just indicates it doesn't see any pictures. The manual makes it sound pretty simple. The jpg pictures are smaller than 240 x 158 as recommended. And a suggestion to anyone trying to sync a phone. The list provided on UCONNECT is pretty bad. Most of them are old and don't work. I had to go to the Verizon shop and just basically try phones until one worked. The Chocolate works fine. The popular Razr does not work at all,
  • vicvillevicville Member Posts: 19
    I have a razr and the dealer guy set it up for me, the day i picked it up, works great on my 2008 limited. i have the 6 disc premium sound system with u connect.
  • bedfordresbedfordres Member Posts: 5
    I'm not familiar with the sys you have. Is the UCONNECT built into the dash with the radio or is it part of the rearview mirror? Perhaps they have upgraded the software. I actually spoke to a tech at UCONNECT in Oct and he advised that Razr was not compatible with my model. I have the one built into the dash with the navigation system and radio.
  • earlyman1earlyman1 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a '08 Jeep Liberty Sport and the radio is DVD ready. I can play a DVD and listen to it but the Jeep did not come equip with a monitor. What do I have to do to hook up a DVD monitor.
  • weralioweralio Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Jeep Liberty Limited 2006 (with the package 28G) and I read about been SATELLITE RADIO READY...
    It has a 6CD changer am/fm and the simple wire antenna so I think there's no SATELLITE RADIO installed...

Can anyone explain me WHAT THE SATELLITE RADIO READY means?? and if there's a lot to do to ADD SIRIUS to it??? :confuse:
  • skisgirlskisgirl Member Posts: 1
    2002 Jeep Liberty w/ 6disc changer in the cargo space - which has never been opened until this weekend. My son opened it took the changer out and immediately put it back in (correctly) and closed the door. Now when the radio comes on it sounds like someone is screaming in full blast!! After a second or two of this (and a needed change of clothes) the sound automatically mutes when the volume sensor (is there one?) comes on and the display shows the volume decreasing volume 4, 3, 2, 1 ending in "Volume mute". After it mutes there's like a background of static or a muttled static sound. Any input of what's going on with this I would be oh so grateful for.... :confuse:
  • rufus2826rufus2826 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 jeep liberty that I just bought a week ago
    It only has 39000 Kilometers on it
    I inserted one of my home made CDs in the player
    Everything played ok but when i went to eject the CD it wouldnt eject for some reason
    I went back to the dealer and asked him and the first thing he asked me was it a homemade CD
    I said yes it was and he told me that they have had so many problems with home made CDs and that Chrysler wouldnt honour the warranty if it was a homemade CD
    Now Ive had many vehicles with all kinds of CD players and never ever had this problem before
    Anyways he said that he would send it over to an electronics place that he deals with as he has repaired many of them
    Apparently they have to remove the stereo and take the cover off to remove it
    Has anyone else had this problem and is this chryslers way of designing a crappy stereo and using the excuse to get out of the warranty
    I will look further into this problem when i do take it to the stereo guy
    Had the same problem here but eventually the CD did come out. The dealer told me the same thing about the Homemade CD. I never put another one in it. Mine is also a 2004.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are some removal tricks gathered from the forums at How to Remove a Stuck CD.

And owners of other makes have reported similar issues with homemade CDs, but it's hit and miss.
    Thank you for all the help
    I will post back on how it works out
    :surprise: :shades:
    Ok I did disconnect the battery and it did eject after but not all the way
    It kind of jammed on the way out
    Anyways I did call the chrysler dealer and they took one out of another liberty which is a 2006 and installed it in mine
    The guy that installed it said that he plays home made CDS in his liberty with the same stereo and has for a few years without any problems so maybe there is a defective bunch of CD players out there
    Ill see how this one goes
    thank you for the responses
    ruf :shades:
    Good to hear. Makes you wonder if it's a defective bunch or if there was a slight change in the model. Who knows....
  • sandsuncoronasandsuncorona Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same thing happen twice with a homemade cd. All I did was remove the radio fuse and reinstall and the cd came out both times after I turned the radio back on. There are two fuses marked radio in my Liberty. When you get the right one of course the radio lights go off. Hope that helps.
    Did you remove the radio fuse with the ignition on or the car running? Or is the radio "hot" all the time?
This discussion has been closed.