Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SX4 Options

matthewhobbsmatthewhobbs Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Suzuki
Thinking about getting an SX4 next year. I have a question, though. The radio is listed as "XM-ready," and the options list has a separate $400 XM radio kit.

Do you need that kit to receive XM signals? I know you also need a subscription - I'm currently a Sirius subscriber. My question simply is about the term "XM-ready." If I need to shell out another $400, what is so "ready" about that? My Sirius kit sticks to my dashboard with suction cups and cost me $30 at Best Buy. Am I missing something?

Comments

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Seems like a very EXPENSIVE option. ;-)
  • scotta0e316scotta0e316 Member Posts: 5
    Yes you need the $400.00 box. With this, you can get readouts like:
    Channel name, Artist, song title, and save preset channels.
    It's pricey has all h***, but it is a genuine accessory that carries the full warranty. I just bought a SX4 for my wife 3 weeks ago and a new 06 Grand Vitara for myself. I looked at the accessories catalog and priced it. I got the unit for $360.00 because of a discount program offered by my dealership. I love satellite radio but I know I over spent on the unit. If you want to keep your car all "factory" go for it. If not, use your Sirus unit or get an aftermarket radio installed. My wife opted for the i Pod adapter instead of the XM unit [saved $250.00.]
  • csbdancsbdan Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy an SX4 sport. My local dealer is supposed to contact me when they get a 5sp black sport. My question is about the optional armrest. Does it fold when it is not needed? I researched an aftermarket sx4 armrest for $107.00 and it does fold up. This armrest also stated it could be installed easily by the owner. Any help would be great!
  • mjuenemmjuenem Member Posts: 8
    Could someone post a picture of the accessory armrest installed? I am thinking about ordering this but want to see how it attaches and looks from the front and rear.

Thanks
    New owner of a red SX4 with convenience package (54 miles old)

Mark
  • dudeboydudeboy Member Posts: 55
    I suppose you've already seen the picture on the Suzuki web site, but in case you haven't, here's a link to it:
    arm rest
  • rothgarrrothgarr Member Posts: 1
    I'd also love to see a pic of it installed if anyone would be so kind as to post one (the one on the Suzuki website doesn't show the mounting). The accessories book says it mounts into the existing cupholders... wha?

I'd also be curious as to what others have paid for to have theirs installed.

My silver Sport model with 5 speed comes in next week. Woo!
    So here I am replying to myself...
    I bought the armrest and installed it today.
    My first thought was the plastic finish didn't even come close to matching the stippling on the center console and the color was darker than the console color. It is definately a "generic" plastic console. Having said that - the install went fine (although the instructions are less than clear at times), ie. don't run out and purchase a 12mm hex wrench because the install calls for it. The actual hex needed is much smaller (maybe 1.2mm) and you probably already have a allen wrench that size in your tools.

It seemed to mount solid enough (although I wouldn't dare support my entire [non-permissible content removed] with my right elbow when shifting weight back in the seat). It does cover that little center cup holder, but the color and texture miss-match isn't that noticable when it's installed down in the darker recesses between the front seats. I haven't looked at it in full bright sunlight however.

It is perfectly located for right arm support while driving (for me anyway) and I am glad I got it. I will try and take a picture of it this weekend (weather permitting) and post it here if someone would be kind enough to explain to me how to do that here.

Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Mark, the easiest way to post a pic is to set up your CarSpace page (log in to CarSpace.com with your Edmunds user name/password). Then go to Manage Albums and follow the links for grabbing the photos off your computer and copying them to your album. The only trick is that the photos need to be in .jpg format.
    I setup a album under my account in carspace called Armrest. The front and back views of the armrest are there. Here is my attempt at including a link to that location - I hope this works:

http://www.carspace.com/mjuenem/Albums/SX4

Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good work. :-)
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Yikes. That is kind of ugly. Looks aftermarket.

Good photos though.
  • debricdebric Member Posts: 13
    scotta0e316
    Did you get the info (IE something to set up signal to receive reception once they put the kit in) from the dealership so that you could subscribe to XM Radio to receive the signal etc ???

Thanks

Debric
  • gemini6toadgemini6toad Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

Here's a heads up on the iPod adaptor. Once installed, a cord sits in the glove compartment, you plug in your ipod and shut the door. Title, Artist, and Album info appear on the stereo display, which is cool beans. You can move forward and back through tracks, set the Repeat modes and set to Random. Once it starts, it automatically sets your iPod to Repeat All. The system works with the CD Changer mode, so it starts playing 'CD 1' which is your entire ipod collection. You have to make playlists on your ipod (they must be named 'clarion1, clarion2 etc through clarion5 on your ipod) controlled by 'CDs 1-5'. For example, to play playlist clarion1, you must select CD 2.

The sound quality is fantastic, and for that alone, it's worth getting if you're using an ipod device that broadcasts the signal over the radio airwaves. You can't scroll through your artists to find a particular album or song; you have to set your playlists beforehand and change them periodically to access something specific. That is annoying and later models might be better.

If you use your ipod a lot, I would suggest getting the adaptor.
  • perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    Mark,
    Is it just an armrest, or is there any storage inside it?
    Thanks.
  • It has small storage inside.

If you look at your SX4, there are actually several colors and textures on the interior. That the armrest texture doesn't match the plastic console texture beneath seems no big deal to me, given it is a cheap car with lower grade interior materials to begin with. I think it looks fine.

A suggestion. Do order it off ebay. It is the same armrest as the dealer gets and it is easy to install. Several vendors. Add up the pay it now price with the shipping, and order from the vendor with the lowest overall price. That way, you will get it for less than half the dealer cost.
  • lpkaylpkay Member Posts: 4
    Can the armrest storage hold CDs? If not, what were they thinking?
  • Couldn't tell you what they were thinking. The design has several silly features, including the fact that if you are not really big and drive with the seat way back, it is mostly unusable as an armrest. And if you move the seat back to where you can use it, then the door arm rest becomes useless.

But I'm glad I got one. I keep my little mileage notebook in there, plus a pen, sunglasses and gas receipt and coupons. If you take out the inner liner (easy enough) CD cases will fit, but they sort of rattle around. I don't bother.
  • starfour4starfour4 Member Posts: 2
    i have been looking at the armrest for the sx4 i found one on ebay. but when i asked the seller about how it installs into the car he recommended just double sided tape??? wtf
    i read your post and it seems like there is an actual mounting procedure with bolts? if so where did you get your armrest? because i work at a suzuki dealership and in our parts department they didn't even know the sx4 had an armrest package... any info would be very helpful.
  • starfour4starfour4 Member Posts: 2
    oh and i forgot i would prefer an email instead of a reply on this forum considering i found it by complete chance while at work and could probably not navigate my way back. my email is [email protected] thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    i would prefer an email instead of a reply on this forum considering ...

And we would prefer keeping the exchange here. To do otherwise deprives our members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a forum. :)

I recommend using your web browser's bookmark feature to keep track of where you've been.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • That is alright. He won't see your response, because he doesn't know how to get back here. I emailed him and answered his question (it is installed with four self-tapping screws...easy as pie).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    because he doesn't know how to get back here

I hope you thought to provide him with a link so he could find his way back. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    I just received mine, ordered from dealerfit.com. Someone on another site said it was easy as pie to install. I must be very mecahnically inept because to me it seems hard with all the brackets and bolts. I must admit I haven't read all the instructions really carefully, but I may have to get someone to do it for me. Does it go over the original console? If so, do those metal brackets show? Or do you remove the original console cover? If someone has already installed one, please let me know. Thanks.
  • I don't know what console you got but it sounds nothing like mine. Mine simply fits in the rear console cupholder, and you attach it with four self-tapping screws. Voila. Done. Five minutes tops.
    I got it from dealerfit.com as I said. The picture of it when ordered looked exactly like the one on the official Suzuki site. Are you saying that you didn't get any brackets with yours? Maybe I won't need them. I really need to read the instructions more carefully. I don't remember the other site I went to, but it seems someone else seemed to think the instructions were not too clear also. Anyway the one I have has a metal attachment arm that swivels. Sound like yours?
  • Nope. No metal arm. One console with cover and a cup holder that pops out of the back, and four little self-tapping screws that you can easily install with a screwdriver. Put the screws through the bottom of the console into the bottom of the cupholder ()near each of the four little corners formed by the cupholder) and you are done. If you want it more secure, use Shoe Goo or Household Goop. In fact, if you use that, you don't even need the screws.
    Definitely sounds different than mine. I guess I'll have to have it installed by a shop. I have another question. Has anyone thought of dual exhausts? I have the chrome Suzuki tip on the one exhaust and I think it would look great with duals. What other muffler would be the same size but has one inlet and two outlets? One muffler shop suggested a 90's Camaro muffler but another shop said it would be too big and would not look good. Any suggestions?
  • gseveregsevere Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Suzuki SX4 sedan auto. I would like to purchase the flip up screen device that the 2009 models have on top of the dash to put my Garmin Navigation unit in. The dealer says it will be an option in maybe January 2009 but doesn't have a price on it yet. Does anyone know where I can purchase one of those at now? Thanks, Gk
    My dealer told me exactly the same thing. I think we will just have to wait. My question is though, I bought a Magellan. I wonder if it will also fit? Also will they wire it into the dash so the wires don't show? The dealer also said leather and a sunroof will also be options. I wish I had waited a little longer before buying.
  • As with anything these days, the product keeps changing and improving. If you wait, you will be like my friend who is still waiting for the right time to get his first computer. No matter what you do, more features will continue to be added and the prices of the more exotic options will continue to fall. Buy the car when you need one, and don't worry about missing out on something. You will always miss out on something.
    yes , you are so right! Unfortunately my less than two month old SX4 sport was nearly totaled yesterday by a teenage girl on a cell phone. Go figure! Any way it held up really well for what was almost a head on, so I think they are built well for crash impacts. I only hope when it is repaired, it is unnoticeable. I hate to think of paying on for five more years and not be happy with it as I was. I really love that car. I am driving a Nissan Sentra rental and the Suzuki is so much better!
  • beth28beth28 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting a new sx4 w/o the "touring" package...but I'd sure love to get the keyless option that the touring package offers. Anyone know if it can be installed at the dealer, and if it can be, would the quality be as good as factory installed? Also, guesses as to price?

Thanks!
    Beth
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i cant find this info out online but i wanted to ask you owners does the SX4 Crossover have lockable storage, like the Glove box?
This discussion has been closed.