Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Pickup (Scrambler?)

davertdavert Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Jeep
Photos and description of the Jeep Wrangler pickup, possibly to be called Scrambler, just appeared on allpar - http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/scrambler.html

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It sure looks good.

FV Report: Jeep pickup headed for SEMA

More photos at the link.
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Looks a lot like something from American Expedition Vehicles (AEV-conversions) Check out the wheels
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    Please, DCX, be serious about making a Wrangler-based compact pickup this time. I had my hopes up with the Gladiator for months, only to hear that the decision had been made not to produce it. C'mon, Jeep, stop me from buying a Ranger! (Sigh) Here we go again...
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Read the update. It IS an AEV. I would LOVE to AEV and DC pair up to offer a limited production of this. It would boost both DC AND AEV's reputation. It would help AEV with production constraints by providing a bigger location to produce it and give Jeep owners better chances of getting something like this.

-Paul
  • davertdavert Member Posts: 23
    Well, the Gladiator as shown ahs been ruled out, but don't be surprised if they show up with a Wrangler based pickup in mass production if this AEV deal goes through and they're really popular. No Hemi, but I'd expect the 3.8. Chrysler Corp hasn't had a compact pickup since the old A-series way back before the Ram 50, and even if you include AMC you have to go back to the 1980s. Back then it was a Jeep, too.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    AEV routinely puts Hemi's in their Brutes. :) Don't rule it out.

-Paul
    "We took a Grand Cherokee body and beat its roof mercilessly with a gigantic meat tenderizer until it got real flat and wide and mean and all the essence of suburban mom-mobile oozed out the sides. Then we threw it on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited frame and called it 'cool.'"

Detroit Auto Show: Jeep Trailhawk Concept

• dantheman492dantheman492 Member Posts: 1
    I saw some conversion Jeep Wranglers that were pick ups. There are also some 4-6 door conversions and stuff.
    its on www.backcountryjournal.com. I cant get the pic i have on so if you go there you can find em">
    Looks like an older Wrangler. The top was always removable. So are the doors. That could also be a foreign design - made by Jeep or by a company that had a Jeep license and then evolved its own "next generations."

As for CRD, a four cylinder diesel's in the works. Unfortunately it's made by mercedes, masters of overpriced engines that don't last as well as those made by Cummins, Detroit Diesel, etc.
    Too long for an older Wrangler isn't is? Looks like the 4 door Wrangler but with only two doors.

• mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    BUILD THIS!!!!!!
    Here we go getting your hopes up again. :shades:

"A Wrangler-based test mule with an extended pickup bed caught testing in Death Valley suggests a possible return of the Jeep Scrambler."

Jeep May Bring Back Wrangler-Based Scrambler Pickup (Inside Line)

• wantajtwantajt Member Posts: 4
    I am starting this so that anyone with information on the "jeep"(JT).Can post it here. I hope that it will co into production weather it is called the JT or the Scrambler!!
  • wantajtwantajt Member Posts: 4
    I have posted pictures of the Jeep (JT) on my page that show the spare tire now mounted on the tailgate.
    Love your Jeep video too!
    The Jeep Scrambler (Wrangler pickup) is still expected as a production model; hence all these SEMA vehicles and such. I think the main issue now is where they'll make it, and when. They could do a limited run using AEV, or they could wait for Wrangler sales to fall and build them on the Wrangler line. I find it interesting that they are apparently dropping the Pacifica and PT Cruiser - betting on the success of the new minis and Journey, or perhaps preparing to close one of the minivan plants? - if they do drop the Pacifica they MIGHT be able to adapt the line to build Scramblers. Or they MIGHT be able to put them inn with the Sterling Heights vehicles. That would be pushing the boundaries of flexible manufacturing, though! ... there's also the Dakota plant, which would make more sense, but again, the size differential is pretty huge.

A Wrangler pickup / Scrambler would sure be helpful now. The Dakota's fallen flat -- far too close to the Ram in size and mileage -- and the Scrambler would be both unique and more convenient for those who need a tough pickup but sometimes need to park in small spaces.
  • jroadsin818jroadsin818 Member Posts: 7
    I guess I won't hold my breath, though...
  • jroadsin818jroadsin818 Member Posts: 7
    For very much longer, anyway...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What, exactly, were you waiting for?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Scrambler.

A few things happened since then. Chrysler was bought by Cerberus, which immediately started to dump engineers and testers. That limited their ability to add vehicles. The Wrangler's sales were high enough not to need a companion vehicle though that's changed. And then they went bankrupt and now are under Fiat's control (20% ownership is enough for control in this case) and all bets are off.

See Chrysler-Fiat alliance
This discussion has been closed.