Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• Options
    factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    I agree, fighter. The G is a driver's car. The TL is a glorified family sedan. In all seriousness, I'd get a V-6 Accord and save 10 G's -- no pun intended.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Hmm...I wonder then if that may potentially be a safety issue. Picture this scenario: Mr. Absent-minded parks in his attached garage at home, closes garage door, cell phone rings, he answers as he exits vehicle, forgetting to turn off engine as he walks into his house. Engine keeps running, filling the garage, and eventually the house, with carbon monoxide! :sick:

In our litigious society, I'm surprised there isn't some safety check built into the system.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    The G is a driver's car. The TL is a glorified family sedan.

You're really stretching the difference here. Yes, the G is sportier with the RWD, but the TL hangs close, and it's just a matter of where your balance-point is. I'm sure some people who opted for the 350Z would find the G's ride too cushy.

There are similarities between the TL and the Accord, just like to some extent there are similarities between the G35 and the Nissan Altima (fast machines with less expensive interiors), but if you think there's no difference in how each drives, then you haven't driven both.
  • Options
    py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    It actually does. People won't stay in fast lane if they are the slow one, they move away, and getting tailgate is actually your fault to be slow in the fast lane. On the other hand, in the slow lane, you are not suppose to tailgate.

Very nice driving etiquette. Also, take someone training forever and a lot of money to get a driving license. AutoBahn is good. Unlike sometimes you see here, people driving 55 at fast lane and refuse to move away. When you pass on the right lane, they think you are crazy. :mad:
  • Options
    py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    But how is that different from the same absent-minded person forgetting to the get the car :confuse: key and turn off the engine because of the same cell phone ring?
  • Options
    Because most people have their house keys attached to their car keys...so they won't get far if they forget. And even if their car key is kept separate, since the key system has been around since the dawn of time, out of pure force of habit, people will take the key with them when they exit...and the key can't be extracted from the ignition without turning it off.
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Agreed tax! Anyone who things a TL drives like an Accord, really has not driven both. :surprise:
  • Options
    sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Why would the keyless entry be any different than someone with keys. The same absent-minded person could park his car, exit with his car key still in the ignition, and walk into his house. People with keys have been leaving cars running while trying to do other things since long before the keyless cars came along. At somepoint the onus needs to be on the darwin hopeful ;)
  • Options
    "At somepoint the onus needs to be on the darwin hopeful"

Agreed. However, my hypothesis is that since drivers have been using the key system for, like, a thousand years, whereas the push-button is brand new technology, there is a much greater chance of someone leaving a push-button car running inadvertently. Plus, because most people tend to carry their house and car keys together, there is significantly less chance of someone leaving a key-ignition car running parked in his garage at home, which scenario, IMO, poses the greatest safety risk.
  • Options
    sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Again...if someone can't tell that their car is still running when they exit the car then they shouldn't be driving. IMO I don't think it's any less safe having a push button or not. Unfortunately, I don't think that will stop some moron from trying to sue over it or something and just end up costing the rest of us more money.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    This is absolutely rediculous....
    I don't keep any keys on a keychain other than for the ignition itself.
    Just the key, and the keyfob.

I've never forgotten to turn my car off.
    Push button or key... either way, only a completely brain-dead moron would forget to turn his car off, leave it running for hours, and gas himself.

And if it did happen, it would just be an instance of "Cleaning the Gene Pool"

Also, the exhaust note on the G would never allow you to not notice it running.
  • Options
    I spent about 2 hours at the dealer today, and it was a fantastic experience.
    I was at Inskip of Warwick, RI.
    My test drive lasted about 40 minutes and we took the car through a gambit of driving scenarios.

I was very impressed with how the car handled through high-speed corners, and was wowed by the car's stopping ability.

The salesman told me where to drive, when to floor it and when to slam the brakes. I thought I was taking the car to the limit until he took the wheel.

The car corners fantastically and when the brakes are slammed, the car squats down and stops on a dime.
    There is no front end diving, which really impressed me.

When cornering, the car carves through the turns, very similar to the 3 series, and offers the driver great feel of the road.
    I've found that the TL has more of an understeering, plowing feel when hard cornering at high speeds.

Being in NE after a nice ice storm, he took me to a lot filled with solid ice.
    I drove slowly onto the ice and then came to a complete stop.
    He then asked me to floor the pedal.
    I felt the rear wheels turn and then I felt the power adjust to all 4 wheels, and the car jumped out like a rocket.

I've now driven the TL and the G35x.
    These are 2 completely different cars.
    Driving the TL, I feel like I'm driving a sedan.
    Driving the G has more of a sports car feel... I honestly forgot there was a backseat back there.

Both cars have the pros and cons, but I'll just say that I was very impressed with the G today.
    More so than the TL.

Oh, and thanks to those who had my back while I was away last week.
    I'm by no means a TL basher, just a guy trying to choose between the 2 cars.
    Both are beautiful and I wish I could buy both! :blush:
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    Welcome back. Regarding defending your honor, I think what some people don't understand is that some folks actually spend a fair amount of time comparing/contrasting/driving several different cars before making a decision!

I too, G'd and TL'd in late '04 for my '05 purchase. And for me, the TL was the right car. I'm 100% correct, there is no argument on earth that can prove me wrong. Until I decide that I was wrong. Scott, sounds like the '07 G is putting a rather large smile on your face. If you buy it, you are 100% correct in your assesment/purchase. No logical argument on earth (other than if you decide you goofed) can prove you wrong. Yet, there are those who insist upon trying to "prove" that you and I were wrong... Amazing.

Keep posting, but I'm sensing a victor...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    "This is absolutely rediculous...."

Well, it was a hypothesis...
  • Options
    Well, the G didn't go without a few minor issues as well.

At 65 mph, the thing is taching at 3,000 rpms.
    It is in serious need of a 6th gear.
    Without it, it suffers in the mpg dept.

As I was driving, I asked about what the car was showing for an average mpg.
    I couldn't watch his every move, since I was blasting between cars on a congested I95, but I did see him hit a few buttons on the display screen and just as I attempted to read the number, he hit the reset button.
    I asked what it said and why he reset it, and he said it was near 20.
    He's lying... it was somewhere in the low teens.

I found his move very shady and suspect, but decided to continue with my drive, and I'd check the # again when we got back.

I forgot to check again when we were through. :(
  • Options
    tayla1tayla1 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a new lease and I have driven both cars (and liked both). I am down to either the TL S-type or G35x so this forum is perfect for me.

I live in MI so I am leaning towards AWD, and the G35x, but the lease price is at least $60/month more. Has anyone had success getting the G35x price lower (on a lease) or am I just getting offered a great deal on the TL S-type lease. The stickers on both cars are around 40K.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I am having a really tough time deciding which car to lease - thanks.
  • Options
    A guy I work with bought a G35x before I got my TL. MPG is definately not a strong suit for him. I think overall he said he's getting ~19mpg commuting. I get ~23mpg (I did ~21mpg in my '99 Chrysler 300M), both autos. I wouldn't be thrilled with sub 20mpg, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me. It was just one of the factors that led me to the TL, though.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    ...I asked what it said and why he reset it, and he said it was near 20...He's lying...I found his move very shady and suspect

Agreed, but if the car you drove was their "test driver," you can't base MPG on that - it's not broken in and every driver is checking the accelerator over short distances. He probably reset it to avoid trying to explain that
  • Options
    "Also, the exhaust note on the G would never allow you to not notice it running."

That puppy sure does hit a lick....
  • Options
    Your contention is off base. Firstly, the 350Z is a two-seater sports car. It is not a sedan and thus the comparison isn't warranted. Secondly, the Altima is a FWD drive sedan comparable to the Accord & TL.

The G is a RWD sports sedan comparable to the 3 series & IS350.

Apples-to-Apples please...
  • Options
    You can't be serious?!? :confuse: :confuse:

The G is a more sedate, sedan version of the Z. Of course there's also a G coupe, which is even mmore similar, so, of course, a comparison could be made.

As for knocking out the Altima-G comparison, again, you're establishing "comparison rules" that don't exist. No one argues aainst the fact that the redesigned altima is a powerful car - the main complaints are a lack of refinement and shoddy (but improving) interior. Sound familiar? It should - they are similar to the way people speak about the G.

Anyway, you are correct that the G, BMW, and IS are RWD, and are comparable in that manner.

The G, BMW, and TL are sport-sedans that you can get with a manual tranny, so a comparison can be made there.

The G has an improving interior (like the Altima), the BMW has a spartan, but solid interior, the TL has a comfortable interior with bells & whistles that is 2nd only to the IS in this way, so a comparison can be made tere, too.

Loads of comparisons; loads of reasons why each car is fun and sporty - but face facts, the G is related in 1 way or another, to both the Z and the Altima - maybe not "apples," but they certainly can be "peared"!!! :P .
  • Options
    Given your rationale, why not throw in the 4 cylinder Toyota Tercel too?

Next...
  • Options
    I haven't looked at the Tercel, so I'm gonna take a guess at what you mean - you only look at 0-60 times without considerring driver-involvement? :confuse: If so, I believe the G and TL are still comparable, as would be the Buik Lucerne and the Mustang...

Anyway...since you didn't respond to my other comments, I'll just assume that your take on it is that all fwd cars are "glorified family sedans" and all RWD cars are sporty without any other consideration? :surprise:
  • Options
    No. The 350Z would be compared to the Mustang, GTO, Camaro, etc... -- Two-seater sports cars.

The Buick Lucerne isn't really sporty enough to be compare with the IS350, 330 or G35. However, the Cadillac CTS has the attributes necessary to be compared.

I think you see how I compare vehicles.
  • Options
    I go for handling, acceleration, and available manual transmission (very disappointed taht Acura got rid of the MT with the base model).

FWD and the related torque stear definitely hurt the TL, but it still deserves to be in the mix.
  • Options
    in 05 when I was in the market for a car, most car mags had the TL in comparos with bmw 3, g35 etc. and it ranked about in the middle for ELLEPS.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Recently, R & T did a comparo of the 3 japanese ELLPS; IS350, TL Type-S and G35 Sport. In the end,they were ranked- in that order. That comparo must be hard for some G fans to swallow i.e. ranked behind the IS and TL :surprise:
  • Options
    Not hard to swallow at all. It's taken with a grain of salt. It is, however, funny that you mention the only magazine that has EVER placed the TL over the G. There have been many articles of comparison on the these cars and that was a first. Was it to obtain more advertising dollars from an alienated Acura? Ummm....

One year ago, R & T did comparison with the 06 models that ranked the G higher than the TL. In all seriousness, how can a new & improved 07 G all-of-a-sudden rank behind the slightly tweaked TL?

Do people actually purchase those magazines? I might read one in a grocery store, but I won't pay for their economically-motivated opinion.
  • Options
    Not true at all CR ranked the TL above the G too. :P
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    hahaha..ok ;)

"Was it to obtain more advertising dollars from an alienated Acura? Ummm...."

Other than CR, what magazine isn't motivated by $$?? Far be it from me to choose a one car over another based on what some magazine says but the G did lose to the IS & the TL. As I have said before, I will spend my $$ on what suits me best. If a comparo finds the vehicle I purchased "better" than others then so be it. Likewise, if it ranked lower than others- so be it.

"One year ago, R & T did comparison with the 06 models that ranked the G higher than the TL."

So. was that was one unbiased but the new comparo is? :confuse:
  • Options
    Thanks for unintentionally conceding my point.
  • Options
    As a family sedan, true.
  • Options
    These various comparos tell us that these cars are very close, and are very nice cars. :shades:
  • Options
    jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    These forums are for positive comments on what you like. I own a 2007 TL-Type S and absolutly love it. I looked at the G, 335i, and Lexus. After considering any of these cars I weighed all the pros and cons, comfort, looks, and price. I ended up with the 07 TL-S Auto. Quit putting down other cars. They are all excellent cars. Make your choice and don't diss the others. :mad:
  • Options
    Funny. I have long legs and found the drivers seat in the Type-S to fit me much better than the new G. The lower cushion isn't as long on the G. :) And the 07 Type -S has good side support. Pick what you like and buy it. We all have a$$holes and opinions.
  • Options
    I had an 06 Accord EX V6 Nav. I traded it in on a 06 TL. NO comparison!!! Now I have an 07 TL Type -S and it blows away my 06 TL!! I guess a CTS Cadilac is a glorified Chevy Cobalt in that case!!! :surprise:
  • Options
    I couldn't of said it better! Awesome 07 TL Type-S owner! :shades:
  • Options
    I think you're living my fantasy, a new car every year! I was going to buy a new car, then I started doing my taxes... :cry: :sick: :cry:

• Options
    I test drove the g coupe and sedan, liked them both, but ended up with a TL. I could neve diss the G, almost bought one. :shades:
  • Options
    congrats on the new TL-S :shades:
    Now I am thinking of turning in my 05 TL for an 07 S :shades:
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    These forums are for positive comments on what you like.

Um, no.

These forums are to debate the the subject vehicles with an eye toward helping shoppers make their best decision. There is no requirement that only positive comments be offered. Let's let all express their opinions without telling them to keep it to themselves, okay?
  • Options
    Definitely agree with one of posters who mentioned that the point of referencing the car mags, regardless of who wins and loses, is to show that these cars deserve to be considerred as rival "sport sedans"!!! :shades:

I found your prior post a bit confusing :confuse: - you said the car mags should be "...taken with a grain of salt...One year ago, R & T did comparison with the 06 models that ranked the G higher than the TL...I might read one in a grocery store, but I won't pay for their economically-motivated opinion."

So...if you take their tests with a grain of salt, why the need to toss out another comparison? And you must have a photographic memory if you are you able to recall a year-old review from a magazine you don't respect and that you read while on line at a grocery store!!!

I'm envious!!! :mad: Of your memory, not your G35!!! :D
  • Options
    kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    On another forum this came up, so his mention of the previous comparo is based on that, it's true they trashed the TL and praised the G35 about a year ago, then the TL's the same model for the most part and the G35 is all new and it takes a back seat.

I think his point is relevant as he's demonstrating why to take their review with a grain of salt... because they flip-flop (Bushism) and have no real formal guide. there's nothing scientific about their reviews. over the past 5 years car magazines have become trash, with the paper they are using today they aren't even good kindling!

I don't read anything in them, I browse them at a grocery store or at the airport, but I pretty much laugh at their reviewing.

Like the Buick Lucerne, which is the same old piece of American crap. it's like driving drunk even if your sober, I just put 2400 miles on a Lucerne and walked away thinking it's the worst car I've driven in years. And the Cadillacs are getting all this high praise, but the bottom line is they are GARBAGE and not worth 1/2 what they charge for it. yet the magazines are all up their buttz.

don't EVER base even the tiniest bit your decision to buy a car off anything that ANY magazine (including consumer reports) has to say about a car.

Just test drive and pick what you like best.

I have an 07 G35S prem/nav/tech/4WAS I test drove everything an I chose this car because it is the indisputable winner of performance and sport, and that's EXACTLY what I wanted!!! anyone trying to say the TL even holds a candle is out of their minds. But I will definitely say that I can see a majority of people choosing the TL because it is more of a luxury feel and power is PLENTY and when your just looking to drive/commute, the TL is more comfortable and I think when your spending $40K you can't go wrong with either, but I think most will compromise and take the TL because of it's softer (in a luxury way) ride.
  • Options
    Could do worse than a G35 :P
  • Options
    "Could"...but I didn't!! :D
  • Options
    07 G35S...is the indisputable winner of performance and sport...anyone trying to say the TL even holds a candle is out of their minds...but I think most will compromise and take the TL because of it's softer (in a luxury way) ride.

Oh, yes, Kring - you have shown me the light :shades: ANyone who cares about performance would, of course, go with the G over the TL. How could I have been so foolish??? :blush:

Face facts, all cars have certain balance points, whether it's money, space, comfort or sport. I agree the G is more sporty, but to deny that the TL deserves to be on the same ballfield is ridiculous.

It's the same with transmission styles - an MT is more sporty than an AT - I think we can all agree on that - but due to commutes and various other reasons, many drivers who consider themselves sporty drive an AT, and there's no one making an argument that a Porsche with an AT is not a sportscar (although maybe habitat1 will jump o that!!). Just different levels.

PS - any of you G35 drivers have manual transmission sedans? I've never seen one and was just wondering if they're easy to come by?
  • Options
    LOL taxman! ;)
  • Options
    Hey Kring,

Great choice with the 07 sport. She's a real screamer.

And you're right, more people choose the TL because it is a more sedate sedan for everyday driving. My 05G is garaged and is only driven about once or twice a week. I have an accord for beating around town and to be kind to the environment with better fuel efficiency. When I was in the market for a sports sedan in 05, I opted for the G over the TL because I already had a FWD accord -- and I didn't want another. ;)
  • Options
    tayla1tayla1 Member Posts: 3
    I leased the TL S-type over the BMW 328 and Infiniti G35 last night. While I liked the other vehicles too, my lease price was under $500/mnth for the TL S-type and over $600/mnth for the BMW and Infiniti. At that price point, I chose the TL S-type.
  • Options
    I hope you enjoy your new TL S-type!
This discussion has been closed.