Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes Benz M-Class ML320 CDI

mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
Anyone have one of these babies yet? Driving experience? Please share.

Comments

• mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    Why change the title from what I originally posted? The ML320 CDI is a new model (only being delivered since Oct 15) and should have a separate forum for general discussion. Why limit it by adding the "Tried one?" comment to the title? :confuse:

How about fixing that title back to what it was so that it's a general discussion of the model, and not narrowly limited to only one small aspect. That way you just might get a few more posts.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    should have a separate forum for general discussion

We're trying to get away from the general single topic make/model discussion. Those general m/m topics tend to become huge and ultimately make it difficult for people to find the information they seek.

If you can come up with a better qualifier, I'll be happy to consider it.

tidester, host
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Speaking of titles - shouldn't the title by GL320 and not G320? Maybe there'd be some comments if it's really the GL320 which allegedly will be out in the 1st quarter of '07. I can't believe the G would have a 320.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm not fond of alpha-numeric car names - can't keep track of all of them.

There is a ML320 diesel, and it's new for '07 as near as I can tell. Why MB went from the new ML 320 SUV gasser up to the ML 350, 500 (and ML63 I guess) and then back to the 320 for the diesel... well, I was already confused so what the heck.

AFAIK, the GL is only available as a gasser in the US.

Here's the MB page about the MLs:

Powerful Alternatives

Any other MB fans who would like to shed some light on the subject, please jump in.
    "Any other MB fans who would like to shed some light on the subject, please jump in."

I would, and the reason is pretty simple; but it doesn't fall under the category of "Tried one?" Perhaps, if the title of the forum were made a little less restricting, you could get a little more discussion.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The whole idea is to get you to start your own discussion.
  • mnezaratimnezarati Member Posts: 1
    I drove a 2007 ML 320CDI about 3 weeks ago, after driving the ML 350. The 320CDI felt like the right engine for the car. I took it on the highway and got to 160km/h (100mph) incredibly quickly. The car is amazingly silent, both gas and diesel. I ordered the diesel 2 weeks ago. The car has incredible torque. The only odd thing is seeing the red line at 4000 rpm. Shifts were smooth and the behind steering wheel paddle shifters worked well.
    Perhaps, if the title of the forum were made a little less restricting ...

It seems to me that one possible answer to the question "Have you tried one?" is "No" to which one could append the conjunction "but ..." :)

Also, we're always open to suggestions regarding title changes and members are free to create a new discussion. (Use the "Add a Discussion" link on the Mercedes Benz M-Class group page.)

tidester, host
    "Also, we're always open to suggestions regarding title changes and members are free to create a new discussion."

I started this one with what I thought was an appropriate title; and a Host changed it to the more limited version.

Have it your way. There are a multitude of other forums that don't do this. Enough said. Feel free to delete or edit this to suit yourself.
    I'd say have it your way but Ronald McDonald may sue me. Enjoy. :blush:
    "There is a ML320 diesel, and it's new for '07 as near as I can tell. Why MB went from the new ML 320 SUV gasser up to the ML 350, 500 (and ML63 I guess) and then back to the 320 for the diesel... well, I was already confused so what the heck.

AFAIK, the GL is only available as a gasser in the US.

Any other MB fans who would like to shed some light on the subject, please jump in."

The number in MB Models refers to the engine displacement. The ML320 gasser is no longer in production. The ML320 CDI is a 3.2 liter Common rail Diesel Injection engined vehicle; and it has just been (10/15/06) released in the US. It meets emission requirements in all but 5 states. That is supposed to change in Jan 2007, when the BlueTec engines are introduced to meet emision requirements in all states.

The GL320 CDI is also now available to order for a mid-December to January delivery. Same engine as the ML320 CDI.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think I will wait for the GL320 CDI. I like a little more room. I would like to test drive the GL. Our dealer in San Diego is not very warm. I drove the ML350 at the M Class Road Rally.
    Funny that DC chose to call the diesel in the Liberty a CRD - guess that looked too much like crud. Maybe the next one will be a CRDI (cruddy)? :shades:
    "Funny that DC chose to call the diesel in the Liberty a CRD - guess that looked too much like crud. Maybe the next one will be a CRDI (cruddy)?"

Isn't it nice that Daimler is giving consideration to spinning the Chrysler part of their business off!
    Does anyone know how to find gas/diesel stations along 95 from MD to FL that carry the ULSD fuel?
    From what I understand, all Chevron stations have it, as do most BP.

Flying J Truckstops has an online list that is updated daily, although they're slowing down in their implementation. Here is the link:

http://flyingj.com/fuel/diesel_CF.cfm?state=ALL

I hear that all Pilot Truckstops also have it, but that's strictly hearsay.

TravelCenters of America also shows which centers have it. Here's the link for that one:

http://www.tatravelcenters.com/taweb/Content/DieselPrices.aspx?page_id=200

I'll be looking for myself starting today, as I get mine this afternoon.
  • danny318danny318 Member Posts: 5
    agree with all you've said... tested one this past weekend and was very pleasantly suprized with the performance... think I'm ordering one this week
    Thanks, the tatravelcenters website was very helpful. I've made many, many phone calls to all the big players, and frightfully, most of the people answering the phone (at the stations) have no idea what I'm asking for. I know things are changing, but not fast enough! Thankfully, I can say my car seems to get great mileage, so it can only get better on a long trip and after it's broken in. Again thanks.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I was wondering what the real world mileage expected from these vehicles. Please share your numbers.
    For my first 500 miles - at home, some short trips and a couple of 50 mile trips I was getting 27mpg. On my long trip - 1000 miles, with many, many extra pounds of stuff inside and a roof cargo carrier, and going faster than I'll put in print, I was getting 23.7 mpg. I now have 1500 miles on the car. (R320cdi)
  • msobusmsobus Member Posts: 3
    Need some feedback on this offer please.

2007 M 320CDI with Premium II, AMG appearance package, leather package and a few other things like lighting package for a total price of 59K.

Dealer offered $1032 for 39 months -- No money down.

My credit score is about is good as you can get, so I am wondering whether this is even close to a good deal.

I wasn't shown any money factor, or what price they were working from other than the MSRP.

I would assume there is room to move on this but frankly I have no way of knowing whether this even approaches a good deal.

any thoughts? thanks in advance.

mark
    I think you're looking for the Mercedes-Benz C-Class: Lease Questions discussion.

tidester, host
  • rwalker07rwalker07 Member Posts: 16
    I just purchased the 320 ml cdi with appearance package, 19 inch rimms. Silver.

I traded in a jeep commander that i was averaging just over 11.3 mpg.

I am giddy as I have had the car since last Friday and I still have half a tank left.

Better gas mileage, more luxury, safer and probably quicker (breaking it in right now).

I wish i wouldn't have waited as long as I did.

My other car is a 2005 e 320 cdi. I love them both.
    I've noticed that the fuel mileage drops off considerably above 70 mph.

I have a little over 2000 miles on my ML320 CDI. I just finished a trip of mostly Interstate 1200 miles at 70-80+ mph. Trip computer said the average speed was 62 mph and the fuel consumption was 24.5 mph. I like this truck!
  • ranger0824ranger0824 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know who makes all-weather mats for the 2007 ML-320? I don't like the ones offered by MB. Thanks
    Weathertech (not sure of spelling) usually has great all-weather stuff. My mats in my R are great to look at, but very impractical.
    I agree 110% on the MB mats. They're junk.

The Weathertech are pretty good, but they do not cover the left foot rest area and they are not an exact fit. Their cargo area mat is very good however.

I have custom made Cocomats; and they are really nice. They have a heavy duty rubber backing/bottom and will hold a lot of crap. Since they were custom made, they fit very well. If you'd like to see some photos of how they look, take a look here:

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=5890&mid=60366#M60366- -

They are available in a wide variety of colors. I chose the one I did because it will hide a lot of different kinds of dirt. Their website is here:

http://cocomats.com/

(No, I don't have any relationship - other than a happy customer - with them.)
  • subdensubden Member Posts: 40
    Anyone find a winter wiper blade for 2007? Dealer says they don't have one and Trico doesn't list one in their catalog.
  • bubbadogbubbadog Member Posts: 3
    Can someone look in their owner manual to see if there is any reference to a weight distribution hitch (WDH) / equalizing? I have a 4,000# Argosy 20’ trailer I want to tow that has a hitch weight of 400-425 #. The dealers cannot answer my question if a WDH can be used on a MB 320 CDI.
    From page 343 of the Owner's Manual, the maximum tongue weight is 496 lbs. This for the factory installed receiver. Maximum gross trailer weight is 4,982 lbs. There is no mention of a WDH.
  • dyoung46dyoung46 Member Posts: 2
    Live in Hi Desert where temps drop to low teens & single digits, read recently that low sulfur diesel fuel can "gel" at low temps, wondering if a) anyone has experienced something like this b) availability of this low sulfur diesel fuel, Plenty of Chevron stations here, do they carry it??
    thanks to all
    dyoung46
    ULSD is number 2 diesel. It is good down to about zero. Most cold areas blend in number 1 diesel (kerosene) when it is very cold to prevent gelling. 100% Biodiesel can gel at a much higher temp. It depends on the source. I would mix it with number 2 diesel anytime you are in the freezing range. Most all stations are required to sell ULSD or post if they do not have it. To be sure you can use additives that prevent gelling.

PS
    Welcome to the Forum
  • cneffcneff Member Posts: 65
    Just picked up an 07 ML320CDI and noticed an occasional sulfer smell and it stung my eyes....this happened at traffic lights and while idling in my driveway. Not brutal but enough to notice. What is odd is that the demo I drove showed no signs of this - I even stood behind it while it was running just to make sure. Mine is brand new, 42 miles on it.
    MB Customer service said that should not be, as the person I spoke to had the same model, maybe the dealer made an error and filled the tank with the wrong type of diesel.

Anyway...have any of you noticed this with the new CDIs? Does it improve over time?

I'm going to service just to be sure. Otherwise I am impressed with the drive ability of these Diesels. Over 20mpg on the computer and it is not nearly broken in yet.

Thanks in advance
    Check this out! Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Feel free to add your own to the growing list. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • subdensubden Member Posts: 40
    I have about 1000 miles on mine and have never even had a whiff of diesel fumes even when idling for long periods at cold temps (I live in Boulder, CO).I suspect that you may have a fuel issue.

So far, like you, I'm impressed with the driveability, particulary at altitude.
    You are not allowed any additives with the 2007+ MB diesels.
    4000+ miles on mine and no sulfur smell on mine either. Sounds like your dealer may have done your initial fill with LSD and not ULSD.

Best get that on record with MBUSA, as they very specifically state that the use of non-ULSD will result in no warranty coverage. Too much sulfur hurts the particle filter, and that puppy is about $3,000.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback - it makes sense. I also think there is a fuel problem and I have noted it with the dealer and MBUSA. I'll be taking the ML in ASAP...they are expecting me.

I do hope it is just the fuel as I am most impressed with the mileage (still on that first tank from the dealer) this ML is capable of...not to mention the gobs of torque right under ones right foot.
  • parockerparocker Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my ML 320 CDI about 7 weeks ago and am eager for its arrival. I have always gone for reliability when buying cars (TOYOTA AND LEXUS MOSTLY) and was disturbed to read the most recent issue of Consumer Reports which rated Mercedes at the BOTTOM of the list, even lower than Range Rover for crying-out-loud, in reliability. I am interested in your experiences with the M Class and Mercedes in general as Consumer Reports seems to consistently give MB and F. I buy new and keep forever and I though what better vehicle than a Mercedes Diesel (who know diesel better).
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I have been monitoring the message boards about the reliability of Mercedes as I am interested in buying a GL320 CDI. So far it seems to be a mixed bag. Some issues around the airmatic suspension and more recently a hose on the turbo coming off causing the truck to go into limp mode. Otherwise seems fine. It's hard to say for sure if mercedes has improved until after a few model years.
    I've had mine for just short of 2 months and have about 4300 miles on mine. So far so good. No problems of any kind; and I do have the Airmatic suspension - like it a lot!!.

I am very pleased with this truck. (Yes, it is considered to be a part of the MB Light Truck family.)

My only disappointment is that some important options - like the Off Road Pro option - are not available in the USA.
  • ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    I am interested in the diesel engine except for the the times that I will fill the tank! I used to carry a glove in my old diesel SUV, but it didn't take long to have to buy another glove. Is a glove still a necessary 'extra' in the new ML320 CDI or is there a better way?
    Most stations in my area supply plastic throw away gloves. Diesel does not evaporate into the atmosphere as gasoline does. It stays on whatever it is slopped onto.
    The glove is not always necessary; but at some stations the pump handles are indeed a mess. The new ULSD is not as bad as the old LSD, but is still does have a slight odor.

Buy a box of sterile disposables at your local pharmacy. You'll be just fine.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I stepped into a puddle of diesel while in Europe and the smell stayed with me for couple days. I enjoyed driving the car (BMW 525D), but boy I that smell gave me a headache. And Europe has been using low-sulfur diesel.
    My experience is that the European diesel has less odor than US ULSD.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Finally drove the ML diesel. Other then a little funny looking, what is not to like? Question to owners: What are you seeing- real world mpg??
    I am getting close to 25mpg on average with a mix of city and highway. Hit nearly 28mpg on one highway trip.
    80 mph interstate driving yields 24.5-25.0 mpg.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    That is good news! Mine will be here in 4 weeks..Silver/sport package, P1, nav, heated seats, CD changer and a trailer hitch. With oil on the rise, these vehicles will be impossible to get.