Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Hybrid Harmonic Drone/Noise Suppression

Comments

• jringojringo Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, tx, for talking about this low level vibration!
    I have a new 06 Accord Hybrid with 3000 miles and it is exactly as you describe and more than a slight vibration. It does this only in cold 30 degree weather for me, and in the eco mode as you state. I also don't believe it's related to the drone issue, but who knows?
    There is also a power loss. Have you noticed this also
    with your high vehicle mileage?
    When the car is idling at a traffic light, you can feel the roughness through the steering wheel. When the weather hits 40, or above, problem goes away. Honda replaced an "active motor mount" which did nothing :( Do you or anyone reading this have a solution. For 30 grand, this car should run smooth ALL the time. Thanks
  • dana9dana9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 HAH and it has been making this subwoofer sound for some time now. It is like I have a subwoofer in the car on high or something. Is this the drone sound that everyone is talking about? The mechanic said that it was the tires needing to be rotated. I let him rotate and balance them, but I knew that this was not the problem. It makes the sound sometimes at a dead stop. I think I just want to sell the thing than deal with all the problems and the mechanics that act so clueless on the matter. Like I am the first one with this problem! I am glad to see that this is common in others. But would you mind letting me know if this drone that everyone is talking about is like a subwoofer sound? Thanks
  • warbrowarbro Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 HAH and it has been making this subwoofer sound for over two months. This helocopter sound started at about 42 miles an hour. I brought it into the dealership approximately 3 weeks ago and they replaced a hydro-electric rear engine mount. This voltage sensative rubber blatter is suppose to be rigid when the engine operates on all 6 cylinders and becomes soft to absorb vibration when the engine is in "eco mode" and operates on 3 cylinders. It is an obvious engine vibration problem that sounds like the subwoofer noise.">

This repair work was covered by warranty. The repair succeeded in raising the speed to which this annoying noise occurs to 55-56 MPH. The noise/drone is more severe in scope and the car is now back at the dealership a second time within the month. The Honda District Service Manager visited the dealership yesterday and drove my car on the Interstate Highway at the 55-56 mph speed. After 24 hours of deliberations amongst themselves, they now wish to tell me that the problem is an audio speaker problem. As it has been stated here on this site before, and at others (hybridcars.com), the dealership technical people are completely useless and are being under-supported by their Honda factory technicians. This problem is extreme and there is no apparent solution. The technical people at the dealership are following the Honda policy of not commenting on the proposed warranty repair solutions and doing what they are told under their Honda warranty requirements. Remember, they get paid by Honda on this work whether they fix the problem or not.

I would not recommend the Honda Accord Hybrid to anyone and will look to unload it where it belongs--at another Accura/Honda dealership as a trade in on anothe vehicle. It is just not worth the headaches to own this vehicle where there is such an extreme problem with no proposed fix.
  • hahownerhahowner Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid and two months ago, at about 27,500 miles, it began making a low to high pitch squeel sound. The noise comes and goes. Sometimes it happens all day, and other times I won't hear it for weeks. There's no rhyme or reason to when it happens. Last week I took the HAH to the local Honda dealer where I bought the vehicle and drove it with a Service Advisor and she clearly heard the noise. I made a service appointment and dropped it off yesterday and they're telling me because it won't now make the noise with a Service Technician driving it, there is nothing they can do to fix it. I made them aware of the service bulletin, 06-005 concerning the faulty sound module on the noise cancellation unit and the fact that the Service Advisor heard the noise last week, but their treating me like I just escaped from the mental ward. I can't believe they are not aware of this problem with all of the postings on this blog. It seems to me they are trying to avoid the expense of fixing the problem. Fortunately for me I work at a TV station and will have my news department contact the dealer to run a consumer alert story if the dealer doesn't address the problem!
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    You know what they say about pay back. :)
  • weedaveyweedavey Member Posts: 1
    hahowner: Any chance you can send me a copy of the TSB 06-005. I also own a 2005 Honda Accord with the identical problem at 1600 rpm (around 40 mph and 60 mph).

Thanks.

Dave
  • marcyloumarcylou Member Posts: 1
    Well, Dave (or anyone else), any luck getting this problem resolved? I've been ignoring this problem the entire time I've had my car--just a case of life being too busy, but it's time . . .
  • jayngeejayngee Member Posts: 17
    I own a 2005 accord hybrid and for the most part have only good things to say. My biggest problem has been this mysterious vibration that began a year ago and reoccurs most, but not all the time, every jump up 20mph (15, 35, 55...) I have discussed it with the honda service people every time the car's been in for maintenance, only to be told they don't know what I could be talking about. the last time I was charged for the time the serviceman drove it around trying to duplicate the problem. A few weeks ago I called and referred to the bulletin by number as seen in the NYTimes, all I got was attitude from the first person and an overly sensitive manager who refused to believe I was not properly taken care of, and that I should come back again to have someone drive the car- at no charge only if they can duplicate the vibration. I even changed all four tires thinking it would help- it didn't and in fact lowered my gas mileage since I didn't know "special" tires that cost twice as much were required for optimal gas usage. I was disappointed when honda first remodeled and then discontinued the car, since I love the way my car looks and drives -in between vibrations. I drive over 600 miles a week so this is not something that I can easily overlook. I thought the service dept. just had a problem dealing with me because I am a woman and know more than most about my car, but after today's call I think it is a Honda problem they hope will go away. I really do think this is a great car. I drive 600 miles and more a week and get to know my cars pretty well- especially since my last two cars stayed with me approx. 10 years. Besides the vibration, another question, since I changed my tires. I bought good tires, but apparently not the right tires since my avg gas mileage has decreased significantly (from 28 to 22). I used the opportunity to have one old tire mounted and put in the trunk since two flat tires have convinced me that without a spare you will find yourself in this situation at the worst time, with the worst weather and without any options when offered the most expensive tire available by the local service station where you've been towed. has anyone experienced a significant change in MPG by changing tires and/or putting a spare in the trunk? Previously it was possible to maintain a higher MPG with a car full of adults, so the weight of a spare tire should not be at fault. I've been offered the opportunity to return for the "better" tires which were not originally offered due to the price, which will be $100 MORE PER TIRE (total $250 each) which I really wouldn't consider except for the 35-60 miles per tank I've lost- driving 600 miles per week this will soon be a net loss.
    I just thought I'd share a recent experience. I was called a few weeks ago by a company doing a survey on hybrid cars. I'm not sure where they got my name from, but at the end I was invited to take part in a group discussion that included other hybrid car owners- we ended up being a marketing test group for the new lexus hybrid coming out next year. The group was made up of accord and camry hybrid owners and two facts were obvious. One is that the camry owners LOVED their car- raves about gas mileage and general satistifaction- even from previous lexus owners with much lower expectations. Those of us who owned accords all wished we could fix at least one thing (I wanted a spare tire) in addition to the disappointing MPH in city driving. Now I could add Honda's engineering dept. that has not addressed the VCM vibration/lurching problem that is obviously not my imagination. The camry never did suit me for looks, and frankly has gotten too big. Maybe good for some, but I really do like the way my 05 Accord was styled. It is elegant and handles pretty well. The new lexus was way too flashy- looks like the new BMWs and smaller Mercedes- and very expensive. I've always had my cars for at least 10 years- and I hope this car doesn't become the first that needs to be traded in.
  • mtaballmtaball Member Posts: 1
    Can you please send me the TSB, I would really appreciate it. I am having the same vibration issue and would like to have the TSB when I bring it into the dealer. Thank you for all of your help,
    Matt A.

mattannen@gmail.com
    well it's about time, but my service dept. finally hired a new person who took my complaint seriously. all I did was mention it when in for an oil change, this guy drove the car around for two days, and even though he couldn't find anything in his manuals about it, he asked me to bring him my information- about the TSB 06-005 and he ordered it, installed it and today the vibration IS GONE. I wasn't able to get the bulletin itself because it required a subscription, but he was able to look it up right there at the desk and took care of it. I'm actually really mad that that was all it took. If you are under a service contract take care of it right away or you'll be charged.
    Great news for you!
    Now, could you please tell me on that TSB 06-005 ,
    what part was replaced? That is critical to know know.
    I'll relate my story after I hear what part was replaced that worked for you.
    Thanks, Wyatt
    sorry I forgot exactly what the "part" is, but the noise comes through the front speakers (not something I figured out) and the package is for "noise reduction" so I assume it is installed somewhere in the sound system. It took only about 2 hours, shorter than the time I wait around for oil changes, so it must not be a big deal. sorry that's all I know.
    wyatt-

it's been a few weeks and still no drone, so far so good. since I was never able to see the TSB report, I also have no specifics on the part. the panel inside the driver's door has been loose so I assume whatever was installed was in the door speaker. the man who helped me was Patrick and he works at P.S. Honda in Manhasset, NY. He was new and the ONLY person who seriously investigated the problem, despite my repeated complaints about that noise. When he couldn't figure it out he asked me for my information on the TSB. I gave him the number and he looked it up right there at the service desk, ordered the part and installed it the next week. I hope I don't get him in trouble for being so helpful. anyway, good luck. all I can suggest is that you insist they look up the bulletin and install it. I really didn't know for sure it was the problem so I was not insistant enough, but now that I see it cured my problem, I think you should feel confident enough to go over some heads if you have to. others have suggested going up to the regional manager if you need to. good luck! :)
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    The replacement part name or number should be on your copy of the work order, if you didn't get one go back to the dealer and ask for one for your records.
    found it- #06390-sdr-307 "noise kit"
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Thanks very much, does it sound like Sinatra now.
    Sinatra, Kanye, The Eagles and Air America/POTUS '08 (XM radio) loud and clear, no longer competing with the "drone." It actually used to make our teeth hurt!

:shades:
  • jbranjbran Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a CPO 2005 Hybrid Accord 3 weeks ago. At first I thought the noise was just part of the "regenerative breaking", but soon proved that theory wrong.

I took the car back to the dealership on Monday, 6/16/08. They replaced my 2 front speakers and the suppression module... no more noise. Luckily, it was a warranty item. I have no idea how much this repair would cost otherwise.

Thanks for listening.

JB
  • kngolfkngolf Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Did you ever get a copy of the TSB 06-005? If so, could you forward it to me at keans@shaw.ca?

Thanks. I have been listening to this noise for far too long. And same kind of thing with service managers... If we don't hear it, we won't fix it.
    I have a 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid purchased brand new.
    Love the car. At only 2000 miles, and ONLY in cold temperatures around 30 degrees, the car would sometimes run rough, idle rough and emit a roaring sound.
    Honda replaced FP number 38700-SDR-AO5 ACM Unit,
    (according to my warranty copy report.)
    That solved it for me. Over 30,000 trouble free miles since.
    I asked the "clueless" service advisor twice what the replaced part was, and he said he had no idea! Forget the service manager. Every time I tried to speak to him,
    they told me he was "out." $30,000 for a car, and they don't want to see or hear from you. Do you believe this arrogance? Anyway, that's my experience.
    If anyone knows what part that is, I'd like to hear from you what it is.
    Thanks
    Wyatt
  • accordhybridaccordhybrid Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Accord Hybrid, it's been an excellent vehicle. Two summers ago, in the heat, I noticed a low moaning noise when I would steer. I only noticed it at low speeds, or when the car's engine was disabled when the hybrid function kicked in. It started when the air temperature was very high, but its now occurring more often at any temp. The noise is very hard to describe but it sounds like an air vent is opening and closing, or there's something rubbing on the steering column. It could be plastic rubbing on plastic. Or even hydrolic. If anyone has had this happen with their car, let me know, esp if you have a diagnosis or fix. Thanks.
  • joncar1joncar1 Member Posts: 7
    I also have a '05 that is making the same sound. Mine makes it in relatively cool weather (60 degrees). I notice it when I am going very slow around turns or parking. It sounds like plastic rubbing when the steering wheel is moved but I can't find the cause. Any suggestions?
  • accordhybridaccordhybrid Member Posts: 2
    Yes, that sound almost identical to me issue. I'm going to talk to the dealer about it, I'll let you know what I find out. Hopefully, there's someone out there who has already remedied this with their service adviser and has a solution.
  • dickcdavisdickcdavis Member Posts: 3
    April of 2009 I purchased a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid at my local Honda Dealer, including the Honda Care extended warranty to 97,000 miles. The car is in perfect condition with only 37,000 miles on the odometer. It runs and drives like a dream, and is getting over 28 mpg average on every tank. My only problem is the DRONE when in eco mode at around 50 to 65 mph. This normally happens while driving in cruise control. I see others have had similar problems and I will take that information to the dealer.
    The last entry on the forum was Oct 11, 2008. I was wondering if anyone else has more information on this problem.
    to the newer posters, look back into the 60's posts on this problem. I bought the car new and it developed the drone after year 2. I was very frustrated and lost some money having the service department repeatedly search for the phantom sound that only one person agreed they heard- but had no information on. I was accused of hearing things and also had some serious gender discrimination lobbed my way- apparently being a woman I just didn't understand my car. I researched it myself and found a TSB-05-006 reference but was unable to pull up the report. the service person I gave it to did find it and ordered the part- #06390-sdr-307 "noise kit" that finally solved the problem. Honda did not issue any service report for whatever their reasons, leaving the service depts. either unable or unwilling to address it. I hope this helps. :)
  • dickcdavisdickcdavis Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply, and there is no question about the drone being real. I called my dealer with the TSB number and described the noise, he did say he was not aware of any problem like that, but that he would check out the TSB and get back to me. Within a week I got a call, he said he had the parts and was ready to make me an appointment to have it fixed at no cost. Well, since the repair, which involved replacing both front speakers and a module under the dash, I have not heard any noise since and what a wonderful feeling that is. :)
    great!

though we have been vidicated and relieved of the "drone," the only justice here is that the service was not charged to us. Otherwise I still feel Honda has gotten the better part of this deal by not issuing a report and taking responsibility. Though I will soon be in the market for a new car (89,000 miles since 2005,) I am annoyed enough to look elsewhere first. (My service center is absolved of any guilt here- except the guy who believed the imaginary sound was a woman thing) ;)
  • lbrown53lbrown53 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my son's 2005 Accord Hybrid last year and began noticing the "drone" in a few months. Now in the summer it is unbearable! through the forum, I found out what it is, downloaded the Service bulletin and took it to the dealer. Luckily, they were able to hear it on a test drive. Estimate to fix $650! It's out of warranty- 46,000 and I just spent $400 for a new wiper motor. What was your mileage? Should I take it to general mechanic? Can't afford this fix, but can't stand to drive the car!
    I really don't remember the mileage, but since my complaints had already been on record since the second year, it was probably less or similar mileage to your car. I also had the extended warranty from the date of purchase, which you may not have since it is a used car. I might fight harder with Honda- try reaching out to the regional manager- it didn't help me beyond getting the service people to call me in, but it was before I found out about the service bulletin- that made the difference in the end- and the newly hired service person who took me seriously. Honestly, I really do love this car and so far only Honda has done all the service maintenance. Probably could save money elsewhere, but since it was one of the first hybrids out there and most mechanics didn't know much about them at the time, I figured if Honda broke it they'd be responsible to fix it. I'm close to 90,000 miles and other than normal maintenance, a new battery and tires, no other repairs. The annual maintenance at Honda costs plenty, $200-500, depending on mileage, but I'm sorry they discontinued the car. I even looked for another when my son needed a car, but there weren't any used for sale. If your car is anything like mine, you have plenty of miles to go, and the "drone" will drive you crazy- so I'd make a big stink to Honda regional first, but eventually I'd get it fixed.
  • amyjt64amyjt64 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jayngee,
    Did you have any luck fixing your HAH? My '05 HAH has been making the similiar noise and when i brought it into the dealship the quoted me $650 to fix it as well and it's out of warranty. They told me I need a new Active Noise cancellation system put in. Did you find out if a local mechanic can fix something like this or if i should have the Honda dealership do it. I was hoping there was a recall on this issue since it's a huge known problem but I haven't found anything yet. Just curious what you did. My car is still at the dealership as I wanted to do research before I have them fix it since I can't really afford this either!!
    as I noted earlier, I've only had Honda service work on my car. because it was one of the first hybrids out at the time, I thought it was safer to have someone trained on the car do the work. Even though hybrids are all over now and a local service guy may be perfectly capable of doing it, I have no advice for you. I've owned used cars before, and big money repairs are always a possibilty. If you've tried going up to honda regional to appeal for a break, and don't get one, you're just going to have to find a qualified person and pay them. I would never tell you to keep driving with the drone- it just got louder.
  • soocitysuesoocitysue Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a 2005 HAH and it has some kind of wierd vibration/humming/shuddering between 38-53 mph especially if I'm not accelerating. Also does it sometimes as the car slows to a stop. I've taken the car to 7 places... Honda says to replace the electronic motor mounts ($1700), AAMCO says transmission problems ($2,000-$4,000), and the rest of them just don't know. I'm going nuts... it isn't something you could just live with, but having just bought the car, I don't know who to trust, I don't have $2,000 to put into this, and no one is guaranteeing that they are right. Help!!!
    Please review the older posts (back to #60's) since quite a few people have had the same experience. Have your mechanic look up TSB-05-006- it is a service report on the problem. When my own Honda mechanic suggested we "try" changing the motor mounts, I did my own research, found the bulletin, and gave it to him. He ordered the part- #06390-sdr-307 "noise kit" and that finally solved the problem. Honda did not issue any service report for whatever their reasons, leaving the service depts. either unable or unwilling to address it. As with everything else in corporatized America, you have to be the smartest person between you and your money.
    Hi -- thanks for answering. I'm at my wit's end. I'm wondering if my problem is the same as all of these, though... my car is seriously shuddering if I'm backing off the gas between 38 and 55 mph, and also coming to a stop. It only does it when the car is warmed up, too -- which is why I didn't pick up on it when I test-drove the car. Do you think it's still this TSB-05-006 problem? I hope so, because I sure don't want to pay another $1,500 for motor mounts and find that's not the problem. The Honda dealer wouldn't guarantee it. I really appreciate your help!!!
    soocitysue-

though it is going to cost you no matter what, the hundreds for the noise kit is less than the thousands for the motor mounts. if you go back through these messages, no one has yet solved the problem with new motor mounts, or tires, or anything but the noise kit. I would suggest you try this first- but also suggest strongly you make some noise yourself with the regional service manager. this is a problem that should have been covered by some recall, and I guess it might have if they didn't discontinue the car. good luck!
    Yeah, I read a lot of them, and that's pretty much the conclusion I came to, too. I guess I need to go to Honda to have it done, too. The 2 times I've been there, the service manager basically blew me off -- that's who diagnosed the motor mounts even though I had printed out a few of the messages from this blog for him to at least consider. Southern men still treat women like idiots, unfortunately. I really appreciate this blog, and you for answering!! I'll let you know how the car feels after I have it done.
    good luck....and just to let you know, even in New York, I complained for over a year to service "men" who thought I was imagining it, or being female, just didn't understand my car. I was lucky a new person was hired who kept the car over night- drove it multiple times, really trying to find the phantom noise. even after he heard it himself he didn't know what it was, until I came in with the service bulletin. he looked it up, ordered the parts, and actually checked to see if it was a warranty issue- and got it paid for. it's not just southern men, but men in general who have to stop thinking only the male brain understands cars- especially since most of the cars in this country are chosen by women to begin with- maybe we should also factor in service! ;)
    Went to Honda today, and took the service manager for a ride. He actually seemed interested in the problem. He agreed that it isn't the motor mounts, doesn't think it's the service bulletin problem (which they have seen before), but might be the torque converter. That sounds expensive.... anyone got input on this one?
    again, I find a lot of wisdom in the experience of people here, so I would defer to the long thread on this problem. I did not see anyone who solved the issue any other way than by the noise kit. the service people can only work with what they have dealt with or what honda reports to them, and for the most part, this car was put out of production rather quickly so there isn't much of either for them to fall back on. just being pragmatic, i would think about trying the cheapest remedy first, not most expensive or most disruptive to the engineering. replacing parts and system overhauls will only guarantee that honda, inc. and honda service will be better off - not you.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    My Accord Hybrid 2005 that my college son drives it now, got same "phantom noise" for years after my complaints to different Honda dealers. Luckily, last time, 1+ years ago, one of Honda mechanics was able to hear it when he almost gave up (as other previous Honda mechanics) after a test drive. He replaced some parts. It costed some $650 and it was paid off by my extended warranty.

This '05 Accord hybrid used to achieve 29 MPG in city, and 33 - 35 MPG on highway when I drove it. But my son gets only some 25 MPG as a non-hybrid Accord V6. Probably, he drives it "rough" as an (A GPA) college student. This car runs strong and smooth. I still love it

I am driving a '09 Accord V6 EXL (non-hybrid) now. It runs excellent. FYI, I am owning 4 Accord V6. My other son drives a '03 Accord V6. My wife drives a '02 Accord V6. Still love the smoothness and power of the V6 Accord. After one drives a V6 Accord he probably does not want to switch back to Accord I4. To the latest Accord MPGs are almost same either I4 or V6 (with VCM).
  • jbo3jbo3 Member Posts: 5
    The growling noise is sometimes referred to as a harmonic drone. I have a 2005 HAH and I had the same trouble. The hybrid engine makes the noise when it shut down 3 of the cylinders. The noise originates from the exhaust headers. When 3 cylinders shut down, the headers become untuned and the noise is generated. The engineers at Honda are aware of the problem and countered the noise issue with an Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system. The ANC works using the audio system in the car by creating a 50 Hz sound exactly 180 degrees out of phase with the header sound effectively cancelling out the untuned header noise. The noise is still there but you won't hear it.

Most dealerships are unaware of the issue or the fix. Your ANC is probably turned off. The fix is to reset the ANC to the on setting. To do this press and hold the on switch on the radio and press and hold the tuning switch at the same time. Look in the heads up display for ANC Then while the two switches are held down, press the scan button. You should see ANC ON or ANC OFF. By pressing the scan button repeatedly the display will toggle between ANC on and off.

This procedure fixed my harmonic drone but if you turn on the ANC and the sound doesn't stop, your ANC may need to be replaced. That'll cost you because the stereo speakers and the ANC are matched. Good luck.
    That is exactly what it was-although it couldn't be fixed with the radio thing. I had to have it all replaced-ANC and speakers. The dealer wanted almost $800 to do it, so I had a private garage fix it for $500. It completely solved the problem-although I think Honda should have paid for it and not me.
    That is exactly what it was-although it couldn't be fixed with the radio thing. I had to have it all replaced-ANC and speakers. The dealer wanted almost $800 to do it, so I had a private garage fix it for $500. It completely solved the problem-although I think Honda should have paid for it and not me.
    I had this problem. Thank heavens for this website!!!! I took the car to Honda, told them what the problem was, had the service page with me. They test-drove it; insisted on doing an engine test ($50); test-drove it again. Somewhere in there, the mechanic, maybe just to shut me up, disconnected the ANC kit and the problem was over. They wanted to charge me $170, I guess for the time they spent test-driving it. I refused to pay anything but the $50,since I TOLD THEM what the problem was when I brought the car in.
  • moosywmoosyw Member Posts: 1
    Wow... I'm brand new on this forum and joined first and foremost to solve my 2005 HAH ANC issue. jbo3... are you doing this ANC on/off thing on a factory stereo with or without Nav? I tried it on my non-navigation radio and I can't seem to get access to the ANC screen you speak of. I started with car on, radio off, then multiple variations thereof :). Any suggestions? I'm dying to get this fixed as the car I once loved driving has now turned into a torture chamber.

Many many thanks!
  • scwand51scwand51 Member Posts: 2
    Dear lbrown53:

I have 1 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid with this same problem. The dealership wants $100. to diagnose. Even though I already told him what the problem was. Can you lead me to the service page so that I can take with me also? I searched google for the Honda service page and your reply was what came up. I really believe Honda should pay for these problems, but......when your ANC kit was disconnected did it disable your radio or anything else? Do you know where the ANC kit connection is located? Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Thank you
    scwand51
    Hi -- What a nerve, asking $100 to diagnose the problem when you are telling them what it is!!! If you read back through all the emails on this, you'll find the number of the service bulletin. I know the part is #06390-sdr-307 "noise kit" . I just had mine disconnected, and that solved it. You (as the main driver) will probably still notice something at 1500 rpms, but you can live with it. The radio works fine.... I guess they aren't connected. It's pretty crummy that Honda won't do a recall on this, as every single Honda '05 hybrid must have this problem! Are you by any chance in the Charleston, SC area? If you are, I have not been happy with one of the dealers; the other was better but not by much, really.
  • tabceezeytabceezey Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem everyone is complaining about and I'm out of warranty. I'm not trying to pay $500 to fix this faulty part. The service Bulletin about this problem that was put out in March 2006 states that repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Pars and Service Manager or your Zone office. That would equate to just me paying for the labor and not the part. Probably like $100 - $200.

I tried doing the reset option that jbo3 mentioned but it didn't work for me. I have the Nav system and didn't see any type of display when I pushed down the power button and tuner buttons at the same time. jbo3 are you playing us?!!

I'm thinking of ordering the part and doing it myself. There's a dude that made a YouTube video showing how to do it. He claimed to get the part for $262. Its more than I want to or think I should pay but its better than $500.

art 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6IKK-C1-QQ

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ouA_fcIRY&NR=1

Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZHM2...eature=related
  • jbo3jbo3 Member Posts: 5
    This is a reprint of the correct way to reset your (ANC) Active Noise Cancellation systemon a Honda Accord with and without a navigation system. My apologies pro posting the incorrect procedure the first time. #97.

Harmonic drone accord hybrid by rhj88

Sep 17, 2005 (5:14 pm)
    If your harmonic drone sound is most apparent between 1500 and 1700 RPM try this.
    1. Accord Hybrids with Navigations system: Turn the ignition switch to ACC (1) or ON (II)
    2. Turn the Audio Unit off. (Radio on and Off button, push to off)
    3. While holding down the upper part of both the "CH/DISK" and "SEEK/SKIP" buttons simultaneously, press the VOL/Pwr knob.
    This will place it in Diagnostic mode...DIAG will appear in the upper window above the Nav unit.
    Now while the engine is stopped and while in DIAG mode, turn the ANC ON and OFF by pressing the SCAN Button, you may have to push SCAN button ON and Off a couple times... While in the OFF mode, This will be displayed in the upper window above the Nav unit..... a low frequency hum (50HZ should be heard. While this low frequency tone is sounding turn the engine on and the sound should go away. IF it does your ANC is working and now is reset to the on position automatically. Now drive your car and see if the low frequency drone is gone!

If you do not have the NAV unit follow this procedure.
    1. Turn the ignition switch to ACC (1) or ON (11)
    2. Turn the audio unit ON.
    3. While holding down both the "Preset1" and "Preset6" buttons simultaneously, press the AUDIO PWR knob.
    4. "DIAG" will appear on the audio unit display to indicate you have entered the self-diagnostic mode.

NOW, while in Diag mode turn the ANC ON to OFF by pressing the #1 button, A LOW
    frequency hum (50HZ) should sound for up to a minute. While this low frequency HUM is Sounding turn the engine on and the HUM should GO AWAY. Now drive your car and see if the low frequency drone has gone away!

There have been numerous cases where the ANC appears to toggle off all on its own.
    My car started this drone after only 250 miles since new and with NO luck with the dealership I purchased the shop manuals which describes the above diagnostic procedure. It worked for me. Do not change the order of events. Do exactly as printed.