Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• tex4tex4 Member Posts: 3
    Test drove a Montero this weekend. Me, salesman, and my wife in the truck. I always have thought that Edmunds was too obsessed with power in it's reviews, but they are right on the money in calling for a bigger power plant for the Montero. Just mild acceleration from a stop and you could feel and hear it whining and struggling to keep it moving. Big dissapointment as I love the interior room and overall look and feel. When do they come out with the 2002 and any chance of more omph?
  • z4lifez4life Member Posts: 1
    Regarding Edmunds test drive article on 2001
    Montero Sport XS. Structural enhancements were
    included as new for that model year. I am
    seriously considering the Montero Sport for
    purchase but the 1997 - 2000 vehicles do not rank
    favorably in current 2000 crash test data. New
    data due out Jan and Feb for 2001.

Question: Are referenced structural enhancements
    of 2001 models for improving current track record
    for offset crash testing.

Any response will be appreciated.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    I just bought a LTD. Agree that more power would be nice and in fact make it the closest thing to the perfect 4wd out today. Given the limitations of other SUV in areas that were MORE important to me I gave in on the power issue.

I dont think it is a major factor unless you are towing a lot. In that case however a pickup truck with a 5th wheel is the best way to go and the MDX would do poorly here despite its increased power.
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Agree with brill--a big ol' V-8 would make this the perfect SUV. But unless you are towing, the power is adequate. Yes, the Monte's engine growls during quick acceleration, but once up to speed, is very quiet. If you need to tow a heavy trailer, you'd be better off with another vehicle. If you don't, I would still keep the Monte on your list, and compare it to some other vehicles before giving up on it. With regard to a new engine, there is a rumor that Montero will eventually put in a V-8, but it is (probably) at least 2 years away, probably longer. It is conceivable that Mitsubishi may tweak the current V-6 (again) to squeeze out a few more horses...

Interestingly, the initial ML's purposely provided a little extra engine noise, to make the vehicle feel more truck like.
    Man, you guys need to go over to the Seqouia site....brill is a full Montero convert now!!! Brill, you better watch it--them thar Seqouia folks can get mighty touchy.....Found a dead horse head in my bed the other day with a note, "Seqouia rules--and we know where you live!"
    Brill, consider yourself warned......
    I research the hell out of things before I buy. It drives EVERYONE around me crazy, including myself.

I dont usually have all the answers but with sites like this you can get pretty close. I also have some very hard core 4wd friends and they are a great souce of info.

I look at things very objectively, hell, its my money afterall.

I dont think the Sequoia will be as great as some are saying. I actually believe it is an oversized Subaru. Not to knock Subaru's because they are great at what they do but they also dont cost 45K and get 18MPG.

If you think the Seq folks are loyal subjects go look at the MDX site developing.

I keep throwing info in the LC, Seq, MDX, etc sites because people are having a difficult time getting the info they need to make the best decision for themselves.

Someone put that Australian web site post showing the Montero to be #1. Boy did I throw that around because most people dont know how popular the LC and Montero are overseas.

I think some people will use the information in a helpful way and others will challenge it especailly if they feel they may have made a poor choice and are defensive about it.

I would rather have all the info possible.
    Brill, whatever you do, DON'T COMPARE THE SEQUOIA TO A SUBARU ON THE SEQ SITE!!! You will set of a chain reaction that will make WWII look like nothing more than a minor police action....

I did the same thing--researched and test drove everything I was interested in to death--took the Monte for the greater part of a day before deciding on it....It was not my number one choice going in (actually it was more of an afterthought when I initially checked it out); think it is vital to go into these things with an open mind if you want to be satisfied. I think the people who get defensive about their vehicle are the ones had made up their mind without botherin to check into other vehicles in the same class...Saw the Australian web site already--very pleased with what they had to say...

With regard to the MDX, one of my co-workers just bought one...parked the Monte next to it, and the MDX looked like a toy--reminded me way too much of the RX-300. Don't check out the MDX site anymore as I have absolutely no interest in the vehicle anymore...Still interested in what the Sequoia folks have to say though. I think the Sequoia is a near miss--give it a bigger V-8, real 4wd and a few tweaks to its interior and I think it is the clear cut winner in its class. As it stands now, towing, 4wd and price are a major issue with it, but these are all potentially correctable...
    I dont know why I waste my time at those sites because it seems those folks have already made up thier minds. As you know I bought the Montero. I am very happy.

The MDX site is even worse than the Seq site. I feel more sorry for those going with the MDX than the Seq.

Anyway, perhaps there are folks reading everything and have not bought an SUV yet...those folks may benefit from the info or at least stop and look. I too had the Montero more of an after thought. Perhaps because they dont put in all the ad $.

Enjoy
    By the way, are there skid plates made for the Montero
    brill: the montero has skid plates covering the gas tank, transfer case and engine already included. If you need something more durable than what is already on it, or to cover additional areas, I'd recommend going to suv.com and posting on the Montero site there--there are a number of people there that would be able to help you (they are sometimes so technical I can't understand them--goes over my head--but nevertheless a good site).
    Boy,

I am imbarrassed. I didnt notice this. I noticed some "bars" across the rear and near where the transfer case might be but I will have to take another look...thanks
    Don't be embarrassed....look at my post about the heated side view mirrors if you want to see embarrassing....
    Look, I cant even spell correctly now. You have me flustered.
    If you were trying to find out how to work them I was looking for the switch for a while until I realized the rear defroster controlled them.

My Accura has a separate switch for the mirrors.

I still wish the owners manual was specific to the montero.

Have you located a repair book anywhere?
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    We are getting active here, almost like Sequoia people (with more pleasant attitude though!) Here is a link to the Australian Company with many Montero 2001 MY pictures. There are many nice things in their catalog:
    http://www.jaosusa.com/
    And this is one of the items that I am plannig to buy:
    http://www.jaosusa.com/products/centerprotector/cp_montero2001.htm
    Keep the Montero info coming......the rest of the world will catch up with us later.
  • awallawall Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in buying the 2001 Montero XLS or Limited. Which one should i buy and how much over invoice should i pay? They don't seem to sell that fast...
    I finally got over my laziness and looked up the heated mirror thing earlier this week...The reason I looked it up was (and this IS embarassing) I saw phonos post on the snowflake thingy coming on at 37 degrees, and I figured I'd wait and check and see if the heat for the mirrors automatically came on...It beeps when the snowflake comes on, and I am a little let down that no mechanical gizmo is activated when it happens--seems if you are gonna have a beep, something should happen!

AWALL: If the extra dough not an issue, go with the limited. The xls is a very nice vehicle, but only has part time 4wd--the full time 4wd (not to mention the not absolutely necessary but still very nice luxury items tagged on as well) make the limited (in my opinion) much more appealing. The manumatic transmission on the ltd, however, is more of a gimmic than anything else in my mind.

With regard to price/availability, I see alot of XLS on the lot, the ltds move pretty quickly, at least around here. Mitsubishi only built 30,000 ltds this year; demand (especially when they first came out) was much higher than Mitsubishi expected in the U.S. That being said, the novelty of the ltd has worn off a bit, and I've noticed people are getting much better deals than say 3 months ago (with the exception of Phonos, who got an awesome deal considering when he bought his--of course his dealer probably knows how he drives, and was comforted by the fact that he will make up the difference in repair costs (just kidding phonos). At this point, I would shoot for between 34,000 to 35,000 for a limited with rear a/c (get the rear a/c--its worth it) not including tax/tags/title. If you have a volume dealer near you, you may be able to do a little better. When I bought mine, I also got 2.9% financing; was planning on putting a large down payment on it, but took the financing at that rate and put down substantially less than I had planned. The financing may even be more favorable now. I paid 35,400 for mine (with rear a/c, dealer installed hitch, cargo liner, cargo nets, and made them promise me a loaner vehicle for any repairs/maintenence)--and I know I could have done better elsewhere, but was willing to pay extra because I really liked the dealer (its a relatively small dealership, but has a good reputation).
    Saw your post in the Seq site...I can't stand posts in the category of "that SUV is bad because it is stupid"--Gipple kind of set me off...I didn't think the MDX/Seq comparison (which I still think is ridiculous) would set off such a chain reaction....

I can ease off the Seq board now that you have them all riled up over the 4wd issue--Keep up the good work!!
    I think you did great with your price.

My LTD with rear air and no other accessories was 34,700. I was going to drop it $200 but didnt feel like getting into it. Besides, they got the color I wanted with only 7miles on it straight from the port which was more important to me.

I think I am going for the rear mat, net, wheel locks from the dealer. Tow hitch I can get for 1/2 the dealer cost elsewhere. The rack on top is interesting (so my wet fly fishing gear doesnt have to go inside) but I wounder if Yakama or someone else offers a cheaper setup?

Steve
    Shoot for 4% over invoice.

Also, I bought the 100K/7 year warrenty. These used to be a bad idea and probably still are for cars but for a 4wd that you really plan to use I think it is worth it.

There is over twice the complexity compared to a car, there are multiple things that can go wrong and the warrenty covers just about anything.
  • awallawall Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your response. Helped a lot. Or shall I buy the MDX... It is just such a long wait... 3-4 months...
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    Neighbor bought Sequoia... Seems little bit disaponted, but is not saying why. Saw 2 MDX's, plain looking, wonder how they drive??? Maybe I will go and check one out, just for fun. Gas usage (probably due to the winter mixture or maybe idle running) went up. City driving is closer to 14 mpg, vs 15-16.
    Hey, do whats right for you. We at the Montero site look at things without the emotion and passion seen at the Seq and especially the MDX site. Visiting those sites you would think there are nothing but dealers and stock holders.

I went for the Montero over the MDX for a few reasons.

I wanted a more capable 4wd
    I wanted a more rugged 4wd
    It was cheaper
    It was smoother and quiter (I dont race my 4wd)
    I thought it looked better (more modern in an age of every car/truck starting to look alike)
    Since then I found out that it rated #1 4wd in Austrailia over the Landcruiser (what a complement that was)

Steve
    Is there a recall or are the Yok tires supposed to be changed at the POE due to balence problems?
  • nutmegstatenutmegstate Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone share the price they paid for their Montero Limited (2001)? Are they being sold at dealer invoice?
    awall: If you want a more car based SUV, wait for the MDX. If you will go offroad, or want something more trucklike, get the Montero. I personally think the MDX is too small, I don't like the styling, and I wanted something more trucklike. I think the MDX is a great vehicle, however (In terms of quality/performance/value, think it is the best in the MDX/BMW/ML320/RX300 class), and honda did a good job pricing it (as compared to Toyota and the Sequioa).

Nutmeg: look at all the posts on this site and the other Montero site w/r to prices--prices now may be better, with the novelty of the Montero wearing off, and more competition...Happy hunting!!

Brill: where did you hear about the problem with the Yok's? I haven't heard anything or been contacted by my dealer....Gonna need an oil change soon, I'll ask the dealer then--if you find anything out, let me know (I'll get it fixed with my oil change then).

Brill you may also want to check out the USA today review on Seq. on Friday...Overall a positive review, but it pointed out a couple of things both of us have concerns with--the part time 4WD, drivability (I did not know the turning radius was 2 feet greater than the Expo's), and VSC and A-TRAC (The VSC can be disengaged, but the A-TRAC, which breaks a spinning wheel, cannot be disengaged in 4WD--my fear of slowing down in this situation, possibly causing a rear end collision, was brought up by the author, who found the slow down annoying); the author also thought the Seqouia jittery on the highway....I would post this on the Seq board, but I am unsure if their fragile psyche's could handle it...
  • joublinjoublin Member Posts: 4
    Hello all! Just wanted to say thanks, as I have been lurking here for quite some time and I must say that all of the opinions written here prompted me to go and look at the Montero, even after placing my deposit for the MDX. On paper, it is the perfect car in every regard and I had almost made the decision to purchase it even before seeing it. However, I will NOT be buying this car and here is the reason why... the third row seat is the flimsiest, cheapest thing I had ever seen- reminded me of one of those fold up seats that you might take to a football stadium. It is so tiny that it would only fit a small child, yet I would never put my small child in that seat for the sake of safety. So, my opinion is that this car is AWESOME!!!!! and it is GREAT for someone who will not use the 3rd seat or will use it very seldom (imagine sitting back there off-road!?!?! ouch!!!). It is not a "family" (i.e., more than 1 kids and a dog) vehicle. For all of you who have the 2001 Montero- I am jealous! (I'll wave to you from my MDX.) For those of you who are still considering it, I hope this helps.
    I am confused about your post--which vehicle are you talking about? Are you dissapointed with the MDX or Montero's 3rd row seat? Just checking for clarification...I personally bought the Montero with the idea of using the 3rd row in a pinch only, and would never put my kid back there...I haven't been in the back of an MDX though so I would be interested (out of curiosity) on your opinion...
  • yakjohn1yakjohn1 Member Posts: 3
    Was wondering which other website you guys were referring to for the Montero? The www.suv.com one? Or is there another...

I feel the Sportronic used with the 4wdLow helps me in the deep sand. (as opposed to leaving it in automatic) I was able to get on and off the beach, and even up a slight incline without reducing tire pressure which makes me a very happy fisherman!

Have been very happy with it so far. (1,200 miles) The only problem I've had is my front speakers are not working. :(

Last question: what's the final word on the gasoline grade to use?

Thanks
    The Montero 3rd row seat is the horrible one. The MDX 3rd row seat is one of the nicest I have seen, with the ability to split (half up, half down for more cargo area) and shoulder belts.
  • burger5burger5 Member Posts: 7
    I'm getting ready (gulp), to purchase my limited montero this coming weekend. I'll be pulling a 20 foot speedboat in the summer months and was wondering what some of your experiences have been while pulling a decent load. Also, has anyone purchased from a chicagoland dealer that they would recommend?
    Thanks!
  • sdurrersdurrer Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my first Mits. Monty Ltd and we love it. Paid 35k at a dealer in Ore. It's all black w/ black leather its so nice when its clean and even nicer when its dirty if you know what I mean. Only has just over 1k miles. Drove back to the Bay Area and didn't see 1 full size monty. I loved it.
    I was at Barnes the other day a new mag (cant remember which) reviewed the Seq and stated "the rear end kicked out further than expected" with all the systems on. Seems interesting as these systems are claimed to prevent the rear end from being kicked out (not that Im saying kicking the rear out can be fun) but it seems that reports starting to come back now indicate it may not be the best thing since sliced bread.

With respect to the tires, someone else remembered it as well but thought it was on earlier models or earlier in the year or something. If you are not getting any vibration then dont worry.

Joublin: None of us, I think, have any intention of putting adults or small children in the back of these SUV's for anything more than short hauls in a pinch. We would have bought a minivan if we needed that kind of space on a regular basis.

I test drove the MDX before buying the Montero. 5 family members went with me. All stated the rear of the MDX was harsher, louder and uncomfortable for anything but short hauls. We took turns at different locations in the MDX so we could all see what the various locations felt like.

The MDX is a fine S>UV (sport>utility) being that it is more sportscar like and I wish you well with your choice. The Montero is S<UV (utility over sports) and now with the 2001 it does it with class and comfort blended in. Hey, it even beat the LC in Austrailia. WOW! now that is saying something because I think we all know just how good the LC is.
    Just got a quote from my dealer 34,700 limited w/air 34,100 without rear air. I rarely carry backseat passengers is the rear air really worth the extra $600?
    Get the rear air...I didnt want it initially, but it happend to be on a Monte the color I wanted..I asked the dealer to discount the price of the rear air, which he did (You might want to give this a shot too). That being said, I'm glad I got it--I've used it several times with passengers in the second row. I've seen a couple of posts from people regretting not getting the option...It may also help resale down the road (although I hopefully won't be selling it any time soon).

Good luck!
    I would get the rear air. It adds climate control as well which is really nice. I have it and love the setup.
    34,700 is a fair price for the LTD with air.
    Just thought I would update- posted some time ago about how I wouldn't buy this car because of the 3rd seat. Well, gave it alot of thought and realized just how infrequently I would really need to use that 3rd seat. While I wouldn't put my children back there, it certainly is good enough for when my MIL visits ;o)
    Picking up my new Montero tomorrow!!!!!
    Congratulations!! My guess is you will be very happy...

With regard to the 3rd row seat--I agree with you. In fact, the only person allowed to sit in it is my mother in law...
    My only concern is the lack of power for towing only. Around town I keep up with traffic easily. I went the same way with the third seat, havent even used it yet. If the only problem is the towing power that is going to be a mute point too because I only plan to tow a small trailer to local camping spots around OR.

Yes, I am lucky enough to have wonderful camping in my backyard......flyfishing heaven :)
    Picked up my Montero last night! I got the black limited with rear air - dealer dropped to 34,550. I appreciate eveyone's input - was a great help in making my decision! Can't wait to show it off!
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    August 14, 2000 article from AutoWeb.com.au

Posted for informational purposes only.

"'In its first full month since the launch of the all-new NM series, Mitsubishi's Pajero has blitzed its opposition.

Sales increased by 98% over the same month last year (increasing from 492 to 974), while it also showed Toyota Landcruiser and Nissan Patrol a clean pair of heels to become the top-selling medium or large 4WD on the market.

Pajero registered 974 sales for the month, while Landcruiser sold 942, Patrol 876 and Prado 793.

Mitsubishi's Director of Sales Operation, Ian Ludgate, said that it was obvious that the new Pajero had struck the right chord with 4WD buyers.

"The stylish but aggressive looking new monococque body, the superb on-road driveability and improved off-road capabilities brought about by the new independent suspension is obviously the right package. When added to the Australian-first of a five-speed tiptronic-style automatic transmission and the innovative third row of seats Pajero has set a standard for other cars to match.

"Journalists are saying that 'Pajero has lifted the bar', and obviously the consumers agree. It is obvious that Pajero could have opened the gap even more if it hadn't been constrained by tight supply and an overwhelming initial demand," Mr Ludgate concluded.

Pajero has racked up more than 80% of its initial sales at the top end of the range, with the luxury Exceed and feature-packed GLS being winners. Exceed alone accounted for 50% of the sales.

Mr Ludgate said the Company had increased their orders on Japan to help satisfy the pent-up demand, and he expected that the waiting period currently being experienced will evaporate by late September.'"
  • mondoconniemondoconnie Member Posts: 1
    How are the 2001 Monties leasing. My research leads me to believe they are soft on the residiual resulting in a less than stellar lease arrangement. Has anyone leased, and if so, please provide some details. I am looking at a limited with rear air. Does 34 + tax out the door sound like a decent price?
  • aldon1aldon1 Member Posts: 1
    I WANT TO BUY A MONTERO BUT I AM CONCERN WITH THE FUEL ECONOMY. IS IT TRUE THAT IT GIVES 14-17 MPG? OTHER PEOPLE TELL ME IT GIVES THEM 17 MPG, WELL I GUESS IT IS JUST THE WAY YOU DRIVE, ANY IDEAS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS
  • rnrxlowe1rnrxlowe1 Member Posts: 2
    I've been considering the Montero since Spring 2000. After months of researching a reading the comments in Edmunds, Motor Trend, etc., I finally compared the Montero & the Acura MDX (MT SUV of the year) back-to-back.
    Findings:
    Acura MDX- This SUV is bigger than the Montero on paper in almost all interior dimensions, but does not feel this way when actually inside it. There is also excessive wind noise protruding inside when cruising down the interstate. The handling seems better than the Montero, but the acceleration seems to be very similar (even thought the 0-60 time in MT is 2.2 secs faster for the MDX). When entering the 3rd row seats, the salesman told us we could enter from the passenger side only b/c the driver side 2nd row does not fold down for entry. After putting mud on the 2nd row seats while stepping on them to enter, we later had the mud rubbing up against our knees while sitting in the 3rd row. There is about 2 inches more seat width in the 3rd row but the overall comfort is a tad less than the Montero. Even though it is great to stow 1/2 of the 3rd row, I would usually just stow the whole thing when not using it. Interior fit and finish was very good and the nav system was intuitive enough for my wife and me. There is enough data contained here to dazzle the Jones', but I do not do that much traveling that I could justify the $2000 option and $100 upgrades when Huntsville, AL becomes more detailed. Also the rear air vents are similar to my father-in-law's LHS. Vents are needed in the ceiling to cool off the ALL of the rear passengers pronto. I do like the memory seats and the Home-link. The exterior design DOES NOT scream "Upscale", "Masculine", "SUV"-from the rear,"Unique"- especially when parked next to minivans, "Expensive". Also the running boards seem useless when entering/exiting the vehicle.
    After optioning out the MDX to make it look more masculine and less "minivan like" by adding fender flares & the tailgate deflector then putting more wood accents into the cabin, the cost can easily come to $42K in my area where dealers DO NOT budge and with 7.9%-9% APR. This is compared to an easily haggled-down $34,500 fully loaded Montero with the special 4.9% APR through 2/28/01.

2001 Montero Limited- This SUV looked distinctly different and seemed to have a less minivan like feel to it compared to the MDX (which my wife and I liked). I was concerned with the acceleration and handling before testing it. The acceleration was on par with the MDX and the 5.4 liter Tahoe we also drove earlier that day. However, the lane change maneuver did produce some top-heavy feel. The interior seemed very spacious and the 3rd row was easier to enter/exit with similar leg room, but no mud on our knees (see MDX comments). Volume behind the front seats is the same as the MDX with 82 cubic feet of space. The 2nd row seats recline nicely and passengers in the 1st and 2nd row can enjoy an almost convertible-like feeling with the HUGE moon roof. LCD instrumentation is similar to the MDX w/o the nav system. The #2 glove boxes are great. My wife also likes the 5 speed sport-tronic shifter, but it does take some getting used to after coming from a 5 speed Nissan Maxima-no clutch with the Monty and you always shift up when accelerating. Overall, the interior is of high quality even w/o the Home-link or memory seats. My only question is "WHERE IS THE CASSETTE PLAYER?!". The exterior is very sporty and unique. I do wish they would match the side mirrors and the crome tail-light accents to the color of the vehicle. Even though the rear hatch opens from the left side, that doesn't really concern me. Somehow, this SUV screams "Upscale", "Different", "Masculine", "Unique", "Rugged".

I'm beginning to see as many MDX's as Madza MPV's on the road. I'm having a tough time telling them apart. I think my wife and I are going to purchase the Montero before the 4.9% APR runs out and head to the country club after tackling the Appalachian Trail here in North Alabama. Good Luck on your choosing.
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    I get about 17 mpg consistantly using 87 octane ARCO gasoline with MTBE (which is about to be phased out) including freeway, paved streets, and offroad driving in SoCal. This is in a 2001 Montero Limited w/ rear A/C which has the 5-speed auto transmission that the LTX does not have. Other people on the 2001 Full Size Montero board have reported better gas millage using 89 or 91 octane. (As high as 21-22 mpg).

-PHOnos
  • plgunnplgunn Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 2 Monteros (1997 and 1991) and generally been pleased. I plan on buying a 2001 but haven't decided between the Limited or XLT. I wonder if the addtional perks on the limited will really be used such as the five speed shift transmission, heated front seats (in the South), heated mirrors, etc. I guess it is a question of price because I do want leather seats. For those who have puchase a 2001, how have you liked it, any problems. My 1997 had problems with the CD skipping and is tough on front brake pads. Thanks.
  • joepmcdjoepmcd Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 montero limited. Have had it about five months. 2 things which bother me about it. One is: the door seems to but right against the drivers seat so that the entire left leg, above the knee down to the ankle is jammed against the door. Has anyone else noticed this? At least anyone else 6 feet tall 200 lbs. 2nd is the car is emitting a burning smell everytime after it is turned off. I have read the undercoatin theory. But that smell is supposed to go away after a few months. All fluids have been checked. Any ideas. This vehicle is starting to scare me.
  • jsevinskjsevinsk Member Posts: 4
    The book of Montero accessories at the dealership mentions two baskets for the Montero: a "luggage basket" for $93, and a "luggage basket with net" for $267. Now, I can't believe that the baskets are the same and the net costs $174. Nobody at the dealership had any details on these baskets, only that the one without the net might be smaller. Nobody could give me dimensions. Does anybody know anything about these baskets?

John