Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• Has anyone leased this vehichle (Mitsubishi Montero Ltd. 2001). I am actively looking and have had a dealer offer me
    3500.00 Down + Lisence fees
    470.00 Per month for 42 months.
    I am having problems justifying this payment and need some feedback. Thanks, Southern California
  • I'm interested in 15,000 miles a year. Please post the jist of your lease if your interested in helping. THanks, Kenneth
  • Hello All,

I have a 2001 Montero XLS and love it. I'd also like to take good care of it. I can't find anyone who sells a dash cover. Has anyone out there found one? Also, I've been in contact with Dashguard out of Yuma, AZ (I've purchased covers from them before and love them) and they don't have a pattern yet for the 2000 - 2002 Montero. They are just waiting for someone to stop by and order one so they can use their vehicle to make the pattern. Is there any volunteers out there in Yuma????? I don't know actually where they are located in Yuma other than they are just around the corner from the Marine base.

Thanks for any assistant.
  • AAA quoted me $1860/yr for 02 Montero,but only
    $1300 for Sequoia. Did anyone get good deal in CA?and which insurance company?
  • OUCH!!!!

I have AAA in North Carolina for my 2001 Montero and it is $775/year. I moved here from CA two years ago. I guess for insurance reasons I'm glad I'm not in CA anymore. Miss the state but not the expenses of living there.

Good luck finding something cheaper.
  • I was quoted $1110 a year in So. Cal by American Express for a 2002 Montero Limited.
  • Does anyone want to share prices of purchase or lease for a 2001 Montero Ltd. with me. I'm looking at buying one and was just curious. Thanks, Kenneth
  • phonosphonos Posts: 204
    $34,500 + TTL, August 2000, 2001 LTD w/ Rear A/C. 3.9% for 48 months with zero down. From Anaheim Mitsubishi.
  • dskidski Posts: 414
    That's a tough one. I'd be pushing for nothing less than a complete new engine. NOT a rebuild. Even putting a new engine in presents lots of potential problems.

Modern vehilces have so many different systems and connections that the chances of the installer not getting everything just right when putting a new engine in is very high IMO.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear. I'd consider one of the other options for trade or selling back if it's a decent offer.

I had a similar experience on my 30K service. I found a huge amount of tranny fluid in my drive the next morning. Dealer had my truck picked up and they said the plug was in and it was just that the tech had allowed the fluid to drain onto the bottom plate without cleaning it out. They claimed that none of my new fluid was drained out. Now 10K later, my tranny is making weird whining noises on occassion. I may have been screwed!

Good Luck to you.
    Drew
    A word of warning to New Montero owners: Make sure to check your Rear Shocks before the Warranty runs out. I went to replace tires this morning and they discovered one of the rear shocks is blown. I can't tell much from normal driving but it does sound like it bottoms out when I hit a bump.

Your shocks are only covered in the Initial 36K warranty. Of coure, I'm out of warranty but it probably went bad within the warranty. My replacements are on order. I'm going with Monroe NOT OEM. Mitsu wants $150 per.

I replaced the OEM Bridgestone HT's with HL's. I think I'm going to like this improved tread design better. Too early to know for sure though.

Drew
  • viet2viet2 Posts: 66
    dski, you may want to try KYB or Blistein. Monroe is not very good. The front shock would be expensive, but the rear one should be fairly reasonable.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    I would also strongly consider an adjustable shock if available. Put on some new shocks on the car and was not too happy, too stiff. Seems the aftermarket shocks run stiffer than the OEM, at least that has been my experience.
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    I saw an article about the Jeep Liberty rolling over during the Autoweek testing...Did Autoweek test the Montero, and if so, anyone know the results?

And, in the realm of stupid human tricks, how low has anyone got their gas gauge? Got mine down to 23 miles yesterday, at which time the mileage meter turned orange, began to blink, and began to curse me quite rudely in Japanese.

In the realm of uselesss trivia, when I took it in to the gas station to fill it up, I noticed something kinda cool, and actually useful (although it won't be useful to you unless you like to sit in your car while filling it up and blare your stereo. It's cold where I live, so sometimes I won't stand outside.). If you turn on your radio while filling up (but not the engine, that's illegal in Wisconsin, but in the NASCAR run deep south, it's probably allowed and even encouraged), the mileage meter will (of course) be on, and it goes up while the tank fills. Now, I can blare my stereo, and when the mileage range gets up to about 350, I know its about full...No more sitting with the stereo down low, waiting to hear the pump finish!

And the best part, when the mileage meter hits about 200 miles, the navigation screen is replaced by a rolling video of scantily clad women playing beach volleyball.
    I've see the flashing orange display on the remaining millage computer but haven't gone much below your 23 miles. I would also like to know what happens when it goes to "zero".

At the other end of the scale, I have been able to have the display go up to 401 miles by shamelessly disregarding the "do not top off" warning inside the fuel filler door. Has anyone ever seen a higher number?
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    The zero thing is a good point--I wonder if there is any reserve beyond zero (kind of like the inverse of the amplifier setting of eleven in the movie "Spinal Tap".).

You may want to be careful topping off your tank though; supposedly this is bad for the catalytic converter. But hey, if you haven't had any problems, why not try going for 450, or even 500?
  • dusterduster Posts: 37
    How much are dealers charging for running boards?
    Is there a cheaper source? Carmax wanted $74 an
    hour for 4 hours to install them on my XLS.
    4 hours seems excessive, any advice would be
    helpful.
    If you can turn a wrench, it will takes you less then 1 hour. I did it in 45 minutes, did not even have to jack the car up.
  • dusterduster Posts: 37
    Thanks for the info, did you buy them at the dealer? I think they run about $300.
    I bought them at dealer, close to $300 out the door but no regret. I like mine.
  • Hi everyone,
    I was going to change the oil filer on my montero sport XLS 2001 and could not find the oil filter! does anyone know where it is hiding. The manual stinks, it does not give any information
    Look for filter of year 2000 model or before, any 3.5 engine will do. I used Motorcraft Fl-810
  • I need to know exactly where the oil filter is sitting on the engine of a montero sport XLS 2001. I was going to change the oil and could not find where the oil filter is? I do feel embarrassed.
  • I have had my 2001 Montero down to 0 on a trip once and we could not find a gas station open, drove for quite awhile like that and never ran out of gas. Don't know if there is built in reserve, but glad the computer is not right on the dot. Love my Montero.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    Oil filter is located on the front drivers sides of engine. You have to remove the shields to get to it.
    OK -- 2001 Montero LTD Power steering pump is now starting to get noisy after it warms up. Can someone give me a link to the site with the service bulletin with reference to this problem?

I know, I know, I should have saved it when it was first mentioned on this site.

I know it is not a recall.

I think Viet2, and others have information -- can you please post it for me?

Thanks in advance.

-PHOnos
    No aftermarket shocks available. At least that's what I'm being told everywhere.

These things should last longer than 43K IMO and I've only been off road a few times.

Dealer gets $150 per. I really don't feel like spending $300 plus labor for OEM shocks. I want something BETTER! I suppose with OEM I could just replace one. I just always think of these things in Pairs.

This along with unexplained noises in the drive train/ Tranny and lots of rattles and squeaks now with colder weather setting in --- I'm losing Faith here.

If anyone knows of available aftermarket rear Shocks for the 2001's, Please let me know.

Drew
    Check for air buble in the reservoir. Video tape/record the noise and bring it to the dealer.
  • anyone tow a trailer or a boat close to 6000 lbs.
    thinking of buying a new boat would hate to trade in my full size Montero-- thanks
  • My gauge (display) almost routinely goes to 428 miles when I fill it up. Has been over 450 extended road trips.

I get around 16 MPG in town and 19-20 MPG on the highway at 72mph.

2001 Montero Ltd.