Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• ghoststepghoststep Member Posts: 5
    I realize there should be some binding with a 4x4 but I can hardly turn into a parking spot with out a lot of noise and binding.

Is this normal? I dont expect to be able to turn on a dime but at least park the car.

I think on snow I will just snow plow right into the car next to me.

Anyone have this problem or is it just normal?
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    I have had no problems with binding when turning...What mode do you have the 4wd in?
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Sounds like you've got the center differential in 4-hi or 4-lo "lock". In most cases, this is not necessary on any paved surface and causes unnecessay wear. That is, the wheels need to be able to break loose on really deep snow or other loose surface rather than the differential action with it in "unlocked" 4WD.
  • mikestlmikestl Member Posts: 2
    I'm seriously thinking about buying a Montero Ltd. in the next couple of weeks, and I would like to get people's opinions on Mitsubishi. I've just read every posting (THAT took awhile), and I'm getting the impression that Mitsubishi isn't the most responsive company when it comes to fixing problems. Are a lot of people having this problem? The more important issue would be how many problems are people having with their Monteros? I've already dealt with a car with tons of small problems (owned a Saab), but Saab was very responsive and did what it took to get the problems fixed. I really don't want to deal with a company that I have to fight with to get problems fixed. Finally, I have to ask if people really find the stability of the vehicle questionable. I've watched all of the video on Mitsubishi's site, and it seems like an extreme maneuver that I'm willing to take my chances on.
    Thanks for you input.
    I don't think the problem is necessarily Mitsubishi itself anymore. I think the corportation has learned its lesson regarding hiding potential recalls, etc. It's the service department at the dealer where you purchase the vehicle. How they handle problems makes all the difference in having "happy" customers. Finding a good service deparment or mechanic is very difficult these days for any vehicle. (I've heard horror stories from a friend who works at a BMW dealer.)
  • ghoststepghoststep Member Posts: 5
    My model is the xls. And it binds in 4wd hi and low.

Actually sounds like it is grinding.

I think I will go test drive another one to check it out.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Had just the one bad one replaced - OEM. Parts looked up the old modle part and new one. They apparantly are NOT the same.

Drew
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    FYI...Bilstiens available for 69.95 ea.
    For Full Size 2001 Montero LTD, or 2001 Montero Sport?
    The Mitsubishi dealer's Service Writer just called me. They finished replacing the power steering tank on the 2001 LTD about 11:30. They promised the vehicle would be ready by 14:00 today but, --

"The TSB on the replacement says it can't be driven for 4 hours following completion of the job."

"Why?"

"I don't know, but that's what the technician told me the TSB says. You can't pick it up before about 16:00."

"OK, but find out - why?"

"OK, I will"

More later.

-PHOnos
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Mikestl: Agree with Phonos. My dad had a terrible time with his GJC and the lemon law issues related to the 99 and 00 problems there. They were smart and changed the vehicle this year.

I have read numerous accounts about toyota providing poor service and they have good quality vehicles across most of the vehicles they sell.

I have had some issues with my local service person who I feel is lazy, does not keep up on things or is hiding them from me until I bring in posts from here or the tsb.

Fortunately nothing they do can affect the TSB's from coming and there seems to have been a much more proactive step by Mitsubishi to tackle even small things before they become problems now. Perhaps the Japanese issue helped with this over here as well.

Clarification on something I said about Rancho shocks.

The 2000 Pajero has an RS9000 shock (f and r) listed, the 2000 Pajero should be identical to the 2000 Montero and the 2000 Montero supposedly has the same stock number as the 2001. Now if I have not lost you that means a RS9000 should fit the 2001/02 Monteros eventhough Rancho does not seem to know this.

I am going to try and find out the answer for sure because these seem to be good shocks from the reviews I read and are adjustable. Would like to consider the RSX which are thier new self adjusting technology that people are saying good things about but no application for the 01 Montero yet.
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    First off I must admit I did not read too many of the messages on this list so I apologize if I am covering ground that has been discussed.

Here goes my question for you Montero fans:

Currently I have a '96 Trooper that my wife drives. In a nutshell it is fantastic all around and a serious value at about $24k. But... the wife is itchin' for 7 seats, and I have a couple of issues:

1) Do not want to go HUGE!
    2) Rather not go American since I have had such good luck with Japanese and Germans vehicles.

So, given what you know about me, and the fact that I think my large, lumbering, 190hp, reliable, high quality, Trooper was a great vehicle, is the Montero a good replacement to give me 7 seating capability?

FWIW, we do a little snow in the winter and tow a 3000 lb boat in the summer.

Thanks all!
    I pull a 3300 lb trailer and will tell you that NO 6 cyclinder engine seems to be fitting for this job. Having said that a boat is very different. I have a friend with a large 3/4 ton diesel ford that notices a huge difference towing his heavier boat (easier) vs his lighter trailer (worse) and this is likely due to the wind resistence issues at speed.

So, you may be happy with boat towing with a 6-cyl but a large frontal area trailer is a different beast.

The ONLY issue I have with the Montero is that I would like a little more power but with the limited (5 speed) I am happy for 99% of the driving I do.

I think most of use would say the LTD is worth the extra to get this tranny. I have been 4wding now on mud, snow, etc and it is very nice to be able to control the gears.
    Picked up the Monte about 17:30 last night. Asked the Service Writer about the 4-hours the TSB specified when the power steering tank is changed.

"The technician said it was to let the air bleed out of the system. I asked him if he left the cap off the tank for this. He said, "'No'". I didn't persue it further."

We then gave each other a shrug and I drove off with the Monte.

Think I should check the level of fluid in the tank tonight? I think so.
  • fansof23fansof23 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there ever installed a remote starter in their Montero? I had experienced installing it on my previous Honda's and Toyota's with factory alarm on it but not with Mitsubishi's. I know it should be the same but I wanted to know how difficult to access the wires and existing alarm module, etc... I have a 2001 Montero Ltd. Thanks!
    What did you have to say, prove, etc to have your steering tank replaced. Is there a TSB for this? A build date?

Thanks
  • vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    I was told that a remote starter would void the security chip that protects the vehicle. There fore I would look into that concern before I would proceed.

While not related, I was also advised not to replace the headlight bulbs with the newer "blue
    whites, etc" as the bulbs require different refractions from the head light lens. (IE.Like you trying to wear your friend's glasses.)
    You might not notice the difference from the headlights but oncoming traffic would.
    I've seen remote starters installed that reprogrammed the "Panic" button on the Fob to start the engine. I that could interfere with the Alarm system potentialy I'd think. I suppose remote starters of any sort could in theory effect the alarm system. Something to think about. I'd have it professionally done. It's not that expensive to do.

I agree with the Blue Headlamp replacement Warning. Unless a vehilce is designed for Xenon Lamps your waisting your money on a the Marketing Gimmick of those Blue Replacement bulbs. Your results will be dissapointing.

Drew

PS. On the Shocks - again - I was told the 2000 and 2001 have different shocks - NOT the same part. Seems to be alot of confusion on this. I didn't check Bilsten out independantly but every shop and import parts place told me there is nothing available they could find. Wish I would have know about Bilsten -if in fact they have them for the New Model. I bet the source was thinking the Sport.
    On the power steering whine --which occurs after the unit warms up (30-50 miles), then engine stopped, then re-start and, in my case turn the wheels to the left stop, then back to center -- I don't know what the actual TSB says. I only had print outs of the TSB titles and numbers and the previous discussions (primarily from Viet2) from the earlier Edmunds Montero discussion boards (I had to search for them). I asked them to look at the actual TSB. They believed me when I said it was making a noise. It was their call to order a new tank.

I wish I had bookmarked the previous message input numbers so I could give them to you, but alas, I did not.

The TSB Titles are available on the ALLDATA and NTSB websites by vehicle type(Mitsubishi Truck) and year.
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    I was curious how you are liking your 01 Montero versus your 99 Trooper? Looks like you've had the Montero for a few months. How's the power, handling, 4Wheel, as compared to Trooper? I've been driving Troopers for a number of years and I've been thinking of a change. My second Trooper (00) was much better than my first (96) for power and drivability overall. Been driving a lot of 4X's for the last 20 years and the second Trooper with the TOD (all wheel drive) was the first I've had without the part-time (center lock diff) option. Off Road, the TOD just doesn't measure up to the part-time systems allowing a little too much slip before it kicks in. The best I've driven was the Select Trac full/part-time system in my old Jeep Cherokee which was great on and off road. I'm looking at the Limited Montero with the same idea of part-time/full-time setup w/limited slip. Looking at the posts, the reliability seems up there, but I've never had any problems (just normal maintenance) with my Troopers at all. Just seems the Troopers are a little overpriced now for the technology and the age of the body (should of had all the body stampings paid for by now). Although they are discounting the heck out of Troopers and there are still a lot of 01's out there. Still debating.

MK
    FYI, the info I received was from an email request I sent to SHOX.COM with a specific request for rear shocks for a FULL SIZE 2001 monte Limited...They responded with the availability of Bilstiens. Since I do not need these shocks I did not pursue the purchase of these shocks. I would suggest contacting SHOX.COM to verify if this application does truly exist.

As for remote starters...I have a remote starter installed in my 2001 LTD. What needs to be done to "trick" the alarm is that a PROGRAMMED chip key must be "buried" under the dash board in a location near the ignition switch so the alarm senses this chip and allows the vehicle to start. I received a new key fob that has every feature EXCEPT the "panic" mode. Had this for 29,000 miles with no problems. The down side is that if they break in your car a thief in theory will be able to start your car with a "screwdriver" because the ignition switch-key lock out interface will be overridden.

Regarding the bulbs, I replaced my stock halogen bulbs with "HYPER WHITE" bulbs and the lighting characteristics changes were minimal...But they do look significantly better. It gives a brighter and more modern look to the vehicle. If you think they look good go for it...
  • vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    In another part of Edmunds I found studies and potential legislations about the above and high mounted head lamp bulbs. Go to part 2.2 of www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html#specific
    I recieved an email from Peddlers in Austrailia. I asked if the 2000 Pajero and Montero use the same shocks and the answer is yes. Since the 2000 Montero and 2001 also seem to use the same shock it seems that there may be more shock options out there.

I was considering adding the 50mm lift kit (springs) which are a bit stiffer but would like to add shocks at the same time. Now the question becomes which shocks to use. I assume you can measure distance between mounts and give them the weight of your SUV and they can find an application from that.

Anyone else know how you judge shocks when you raise your SUV?
    >>Since the 2000 Montero and 2001 also seem to use the same shock it seems that there may be more shock options out there.<<

They are confusing you I think. The U.S. 2000 & 2001 ARE different. Now - the 2000 European Pajero may very well use the same as a 2001 Monti but not the 2000 U.S. spec version Monti.

Is anyone following me? LOL Cause now I'm confused but I know the U.S. '00 & '01 are not the same.

Doesn't matter now anyway. I got the replacement.

drew
    The following is from SHOX.com --

MITSUBISHI BILSTEIN

SHOCKS FOR TRUCKS

Montero 88-91 Utility 4WD (Standard Suspension) 6 cyl HD B46-1336 B46-1337

Montero 92-96 Utility 4WD (Standard Suspension) 6 cyl HD B46-1794 B46-1795

Montero Sport 00-01 Utility 4WD (Standard Suspension) 6 cyl HD B46-1794-H1 BE5-6425-H0

Don't see 2001 Montero only Montero Sport ??
    Question:

My son has a '99 Trooper with TOD and LS rear differential but there is a center differential lock position on the lever. In fact, the display on the dash lights up when in this position. Did they remove the lock position for 2000 model ??
    Phonos;

Nice to hear from you.

The TOD in the Trooper is an all wheel drive system that varies the percentage of power to the front wheels from about 13% to 50%. As with the Mitsubishi Limited, it has a center differential that allows slip between the front and rear axles for use on a highway. You can leave it activated 100% of the time. There is no center differential lock that I am aware of on the Trooper TOD for 4WHi. The lever has two positions, High and 4WLo and the 4W engage button on the dash. The 4WLo does lock the center differential at 50/50 but can only be used at low speeds (I believe 45mph is maximum speed) and on slippery surfaces. If you use it on varying conditions, like a paved road you will get the dreaded axle binding with turning. The 5-Speed Trooper like the XLS Montero uses a part-time system that has 4Hi and 4Lo (standard type two-speed transfer case) with a center lock. This again is only for slippery surfaces but with 4Hi you do not have the speed limitation (where 45mph is revving the heck out of the motor).
    With the TOD on the Automatic Troopers, the center light on the dash indicates (Auto)matic operation. Then the display shows 3 lights indicating % of power being delivered to front axles. For example, if your son stomps on the gas pedal with 4W engaged, the lights will go from 1 to all three being lit up.
    The TOD has been around since the 1998 model year.

Both the Trooper and Montero are marvelous vehicles. I'm a gadget guy, so the Montero has an edge with the Limited's Sport-Shift transmission and versitile 4WD system. But the Trooper has that 10/120,000 mile powertrain warranty. It is a tough choice. Do you think my wife would mind if we sold the house, bought both, and lived in them?

MK
    Refresh my memory...what does the little snowflake symbol mean on the display next to the outside temp? Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ibrollinover4u,

what does the little snowflake symbol mean on the display next to the outside temp?

Could it be the air conditioner notification?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • piwitopiwito Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a '02 montero sport xls. I had it for 3 months now, I really like it; but there is a small problem. If I go over 70, wind noise becomes a problem. I am wondering if any one had the situation.
    The snow flake comes on when the outside temperature is 37 degrees or lower. Why 37 degrees, I don't know--maybe this is the highest temperature it snows at or something; I would prefer 32 degrees, but hey, I'm a traditionalist..

I live in Wisconsin, so the snowflake is on 312 days of the year.....
    dski,

No, Im following you but I would like to call the dealer back again becasue I was told by my local dealer that the 2000 and 2001 Monteros call for the same part numbers for the shocks.

This makes sense as I look at the various online parts houses and scan across the various years of Monteros only to find that one shock covers many years.

It seems likely that what is going on is that the shock companies have not really looked to post an appication for the 2001 yet. This makes it appear that they dont have a shock for the 2001 when they just might.

I have several emails that suggest that companies like Rancho just have not looked into the 2001 yet. I hope they do soon, I sure would like to throw on a set of RSX or RS9000 on my rig.
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    mkaye...I still have my 99 Trooper and my 01 Montero. In the past few months I've come to the conclusion that the Montero is a MUCH "better" vehicle.

Here are some of my subjective reasons:

Montero rides much better over bumps as well as on the highway.
    Montero is MUCH more comfortable, I see this as a vehicle I could drive in 10 hours a day without a problem, the seats in my Trooper bother my back after about 30 minutes or so.
    The Montero has much better AC/Climate control.
    Surprisingly, the Montero smokes my Trooper for scaling slippery inclines offroad. The Trooper TOD as you stated seems to react a little slowly and the Limited Slip on the Trooper is pretty much non-existant, it only kicks in once in awhile. The Montero on the other has a very smooth LS that WORKS. The Montero has surprised me with how easily it scales slippery mud and rocks that has my Trooper clawing and spinning all over the place in TOD. The Montero all wheel drive seems much better than the TOD in the Trooper. The Montero also is much more stable offroad..it goes where you point it without undo body lean etc. My Trooper by the way is retrofitted with the Rancho 9000 shocks which are pretty high end and the Monty still is much more stable. My complaint from a design standpoint on the Monty is that even though it is larger than the Trooper overall, the useable space in the Trooper is a little bit better. Also, all of the body cladding on the Monty seems pretty cheap to me and I've seen more than one driving around town missing a big chunk of the molding over the right rear tire.

As for the issue with people saying the Monty needs more power, I don't really feel it is "underpowered". The Trooper has a little more kick and Torque, but the Montero hasn't ever felt anemic to me. I have towed the largest U-Haul you can rent with it packed with very dense stuff across 3 states. At the same time I had another U-haul on the back of my Trooper..the Trooper accelerated slightly better but bucked around a little more IMHO with all the weight on it. See my next post for thoughts on mechanical reliability between the two..
    ok...here is a problem that just cropped up in the past week on my 01 Ltd Monty. When I start it in the morning, the light in the middle of the little 4wheel drive display just starts flashing. If I run the car for a minute or two and then restart it, it goes away and the 2 wheel drive indicator lights up properly. In the manual it says "if that light is flashing, turn off the car and restart it, it should go away". Well it does...but thats WEIRD, the manual implies its nothing to worry about UNLESS after you restart the car it keeps blinking. So, does anyone know WHY it would start to blink all of a sudden, and how this can be considered "ok" according to the manual???

On a side note, by brother in law just bought an 02 Toyota Tacoma with 4wd. HIS manual says something very similar..it says that in cold weather the 4wd idiot display may blink in the middle AND it just means it is taking longer for the system to go in and out of 4wd. His manual says its "normal" for it to get stuck like that in cold weather. Well I'm in FL and we DID just have our first cold snap (all of about 60 degrees in the mornings)..:)

Anyone ever heard of any of this?

thanks!
    mkaye...

My Montero has had only the problem with the flashing 4wd light, and my Trooper has a problem with the rear door lock not unlocking when you push the "unlock doors" button in the car...neither vehicle has had any serious problems. I drive both vehicles moderately, have done light weight offroading with them both and I think they are probably very similar in the amounts of maintenance they will need over 5 years. I do think the Trooper will look "cooler" as it ages as it has more classic lines (IMHO). The Montero I think will start to look freaky with all of the body cladding etc, and FWIW I think it looks a little feminine..(uh yeah). Given the choice though I'd take the Monty offroad and onroad over the Trooper..its a much more liveable vehicle and no, I don't think you'll think its underpowered (remember the Ltd. comes with an auto 5 speed trans which helps). Let us all know what you think when you get one and hang onto your Troop as well!
    The wind deflector that pops up when you open the sunroof flops up and down...it gets buffeted by the wind..like the spring is weak or something...does anyone else's do this?
    brill... someone is confused - either your dealer or my dealer. I was told the opposite of what your dealer told you.

Curiously... I didn't ask my dealer until I went in to have mine installed. I told parts that I was having the shock installed regardless of their findings but they came back after looking it up and still claimed the parts are different. Who knows - hopefully it'll all be cleared up or '01's available by the time my second one goes.

Flashing lights: I have the XLS and this week in the snow I tried to use 4 wheel high. The lights began to flash indicating 4 wheel drive was ingaging but then they went out. It didn't feel as if 4 wheel was ingaged but I was on ice so I'm not positive. I tried again with the same results. Then about 5 minutes later on snow again I ingaged a third time and all four lights stayed on as they should. Strange and disconcerting. Is this thing working or not?

Drew
    You mentioned you have the rs9000 shocks (Rancho?. How do you like them? Did they make the vehicle ride too harsh. If they have an application for the Montero would you install them in yours? Would appretiate your experience with these shocks.

I also agree that while the Montero is not underpowered there are a few circumstances where I wish there was either a turbo/supercharger or small V8. One is high speed climbs up a long grade and the other is towing ability. Although rated at 5000lbs, I have a 3300lb trailer and the combo of the weight and air resistence you really cant "cruise" at 65. Perhaps this is good given safety considerations with a trailer but the pulls uphill can be slow.

In defense however, my friend with a 3/4 ton, diesel ?turbo tells me to stay calm, his rig doesnt tow at 55-60 uphill either and he has 10x the torque.

So I guess I should not be too disappointed, I just didnt have that perspective.
    I loved the Ranchos...they improved the ride of the Trooper quite a bit. They are easily adjustable with 5 settings (takes about 2 seconds). So, if you want ultra plush or ultra firm you've got it. BTW even at their softest setting they are more stable than the standard trooper shocks. Even though more stable they absorp bumps much better than the std trooper shocks. As for putting them on the monty, maybe, but I'm actually very happy with the factory shocks on the montero!
    99 Trooper:

I'm replacing my (missing-in-action) 2000 Trooper with a new vehicle. It was such a tough choice since both vehicles are really great. I did end up purchasing a new Trooper yesterday. The combination of factory incentives and the 10 year/120,000 mile warranty really swayed me.
    Couldn't get more than 3K off sticker for the Montero (taking the 1 year no interest/payments option, I believe there is a $1,500 rebate if you do not choose the 0/0/0 financing). There's already $3,500 rebates on the 2002 Trooper, I got that and more off of so-called "invoice" (I know, it's because they "have" to discount em. Current Trooper is a lame-duck since for 2003 it becomes a GM product off the extended Envoy chassis, called the Ascender).

Trooper Likes: As you mentioned, "classic" styling, will age well. Good engine power. Lots of room. Great Warranty (how about the 5-Year/60,000-Mile Roadside Assistance that includes coming out for dead battery, a flat tire or simply running out of gas). Huge discounts. Also had the RS9000 shocks on last Trooper and it greatly improved ride and handling (will order immediately for new one from www.hotrod-offroad.com @$59.00 each [best prices around]).
    Dislikes: All-Wheel drive w/o center diff. lock.

Montero Likes: New design, more current (inc. crumple zones). W/the Limited, great (and fun) transmission and sophisticated 4WD. Very smooth motor. Very comfortable and nicely appointed interior. Definitely better quality interior materials, like leather vs the leather available in Trooper Limited.
    Dislikes: Needs just a little more power or, at least, low-end torque. Couldn't justify the cost vs. discounted Trooper, but compared to the likes of Sequoia, Envoy, Tahoe, Land Rover, and others, hands down the Montero. Just wished for a little more power. If Trooper didn't have the huge discounts, would have chosen the Montero, period.

Although I plan on keeping the Trooper for years, who knows, maybe I'll take a loss on it if, for 2003, the Montero gets more uumph. That's what happened between the 96 and the 2000 I had. The change to a different drivetrain (3.5 DOHC vs. 3.2 SOHC motor and markedly improved transmission) completely changed the character of the vehicle.

The Montero is a great vehicle and I'm sure you are all happy owners. Thanks for the info and advice. I'll keep lurking around the Montero chat.

MK
    I like the Montero suspension too thats why I want to be very careful when considering changing anything. I thought about a combination of the 50mm higher and slightly stiffer springs with the ranchos and this should increase the off road ability (not that it isnt superb already).

A guy at Les Schwab who was rotating my tires had changed his 2001 Montero to gas shocks and stated he was very happy with the handling on side to side transitions and swooping dips.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with the Trooper. My intention was to sell my 99 when I got the 01 Montero, and well, I loved it so much I just couldnt part with it..and I'm not rich by any means! You brought up a good point which I didn't address and that is value for the dollar. I am totally in agreement that the Trooper is so heavily discounted that its a much better value. I've told almost EVERYONE I know to go buy a Trooper. The situation with the Montero is that the dealers do NOT discount very much. I bought my 01 as a "dealer driven" model with 9k miles on it, for 28k..and that was about the best deal going at the time (6 months ago). I am the first person the vehicle has been titled to, but it DID have 9000 mile on it. Since you can go out and pretty much buy a brand new Trooper with 5-6k in savings...its hard for the Montero to compete pricewise. Anyway, let us know your thoughts on the truck!
  • patrikkpatrikk Member Posts: 13
    Thought I'd cross post here because the Montero Sport board is pretty inactive. I own a 99 Sport XLS.

Had an oil chg ~3000 mi ago and just recently, the oil light would dimly come on when stopped in traffic, idling. Once I give it gas or accelerate, it goes off. Happens again when I idle at a light for more than 20-30 sec or so. It seems to just barely come on and kind of flicker between on and off.

I checked oil. Level is fine. Anyone ever have this happen?
    That shouldn't be happening. I would call the dealer on that one ASAP. If it happens every time you idle, show it to him (it may save you several trips back and forth to the dealer).

It could simply be a short in the oil warning light, or gunk in the engine, etc.--but oil lights are the one thing you don't want to mess around with (although if the oil level is fine on the dipstick, it's probably nothing major).
    In case no one has seen this website, there is a company called JAOS (http://www.jaosusa.com/welcome.htm) that makes a lot of dress-up parts for SUV's. The company (out of Japan) has teamed up with Mitsubishi to sponsor the annual Ramada Express Hotel International Rally (www.rallyusa.com). They make quite a few parts for the new Mitsubishi including up to 19" wheels. They also make a lift kit (2") and shocks for the 2001/2002. The website does not seem to work to get to the suspension part, but you can order a catalog or call the company for more information. The lift/shocks are from their subsidiary BattleZ.

Here is one of their Montero project vehicles (which I don't think has the lift):

MK
    Oh, now you have done it. I had tried to put my desire for those bull bars, 50mm lift kit, skid plate and cargo rack in the back of my mind, just cant afford it right now, but look what you have done :)
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2001 Montero Sport XLS with P255/70SR16 tires. Can I put P265s on it without worrying about anything?
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    Looked at the Montero the other day and we are impressed with the Limited. Actually, our holy grail has been the Acura MDX but we frankly don't want to spend what they are running now. We like the interior and the fact that it is a little different from everything else out there. While the third seat is not very easy to pull out (as opposed to the fold down MDX and Explorer), we could deal with that issue. Two issues concern us: The CR Reports "non-acceptable" rating for tipover potential and the fact that the dealers are not really up for making deals. Our thought is to look for maybe a used '01 or find a desperate SF bay area dealer. Our limit is $30k but would love $25-28k. This unrealistic?
    25-28 is reasonable for a used 01. I got a dealer demo 01 Ltd WITH the rear air option for 28k about 6 months ago. It had 9k miles on it.

Regarding the CR reports tip over rating, there was a huge controversy over that and Mitsubishi denies a problem. Also an independant testing company could not duplicate CR's results. Personally I would not worry about it. Most people in the auto business that I know totally disregard CR's testing. If you search the web you should be able to find detailed information about the Montero..start at Mitusbishi's website if you like. Remember this IS an SUV not a car and certainly IS more tippy than a Honda Accord...:)

One note though, I wouldnt buy a Montero with the idea that you are going to be zipping through traffic, its not built for that, no SUV is (except perhaps the BMW). The Acura MDX, while being a nice car is just that, a car, its not an SUV. Its basically a front wheel drive vehicle with no "true" 4wd. The MDX is definately faster than the Montero, and handles better on road, but would be best used for "light duty" offroad.

Good luck, they are both nice vehicles..
    Agree with 99trooper, the Montero (and most SUV) cant be driven like a sports car. If you want to do that the car biased SUV like the MDX and BMW are the way to go but you will give up on true off road ability.

The roll over issue is really a mute point. All SUV can be rolled easier than cars. Pickups as well, add vans and motorhomes. Jeeps are inherently prone to rollovers and more importantly on Ice/snow thier short wheelbase predisposes them to spinning out very easy. On the other hand nothing can touch the small CJ for off roading. In Austrailia they have had the 01 style Montero (called Pajero) a little longer then the US and they often disconnect the sway bars (which should make the vehicle more unstable on turns) for greater articulation and have no complaints about roll overs.

The point is that you need to match the vehicle to what you really think you will be doing with it.

I personally used the Landcruiser as the gold standard but did not want to shell out 60K. The Montero does everything the LC does, rides just as nice, has a nicer interior and you cant beat the price. In Australia it even beat out the LC last year. Now if it can hold up even 80% as long as the LC I will be happy.