Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    If your going up hwy 50 or 80 at 70mph then you are really moving and I dont see how or why someone else behind you would even want to pass. I have a cabin in Tahoe and in my Accura GSR those speeds might be OK but the limit on hwy 50 is 55mph and they do radar so watch out!

I am impressed with your 90mph ave from LA, I also drove that part a lot from LA to the Bay Area while going to school down there. Never went that fast though. They use radar and tracking planes on that section so be carefull there too. Perhaps if you open the large Monte sun roof you can see the planes at 90mph :)

My own experience is that the Monte is really only "underpowered" for towing and if you want to drive uphill fast, generally about the speed limits.
  • rberardrberard Member Posts: 22
    Well, the dealership could not reset my miles to empty function on the computer display. They ordered a whole new computer display. This is fine for now - its still under warranty. I hope it doesn't go out again. They told me they have only changed a few in the several years they have been in business. (What other Mitsubishi's have this?) He said that he thought they sold for about $150.00-$200.00. I guess if it would go out again - it is not something you really need in the vehicle. But you know when you get used to these perks - you don't want to do without them. Never had this feature in a vehicle before but I have come to rely on it before the gas gage!
  • mortonkbmmortonkbm Member Posts: 3
    To; rberard
    I had the same problem with my computer display which was verified by David the service writer at Roseville Mitsubishi. The Dealer ordered a refurbished one (only way they come) and after a three week wait (the dealer has to send it in and wait for an rebuild one to exchange) it was replaced. The new one worked for a few weeks and has since stopped working again!! The dealer said that the sending unit in the gas tank could be bad, hope so. I hated waiting and having to bring our Montero back in for service. Which I am going to have to do next Monday to replace the power steering tank.

David the Service Advisor said that they have had to replace several of the trip computers for this problem in the past but once replaced, they usually work without any more problems (I must be lucky)

Anyone good luck with getting yours replaced.
    mortonkbm:
    I don't know if I understand correctly. Did they take your computer display out and send it in to get a refurbished one? They did not take mine out, only ordered "new" one, or so they told me. Didn't say how long it would be before the new one would come in. I hope I don't have to bring my monty back it to remove old display.
  • kyoung7kyoung7 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at the MM Limited. We'd like to take advantage of the 0/0/0 deal, but feel like the dealer is trying to rip us off. We found out via Edmunds that they are getting a $1500 rebate from the manu. We used this as a negotiating chip. However they basically told us we could have one or the other . . . either the $1500 (off the price) or the 0/0/0 deal. We couldn't take advantage of both. This may be true -- how would we confirm this? Also, we feel like their invoice numbers are inflated. Can someone recommend how we can obtain the "true" invoice for this vehicle? Much thanks!
  • montemonmontemon Member Posts: 4
    "Montero RV Meter Reset Procedure"

The vehicle uses a complex calculation that involves the Total Distance Driven and the Total Fuel Consumed, witch are both cumulative numbers, to determine the Fuel Mileage of the vehicle. In some cases it may be necessary to reset the RV meter to reset an in proper fuel mileage number that could be locked into the system.

NOTE: Be prepared to calibrate the compass. This procedure should be done in an area that will permit the operator to drive in a tight circle.

1) With the key in the "OFF" position, push and hold the "DISP" button on the RV Meter.

2)Turn the key to the "ACC" position and continue to hold the "DISP" button until you hear a beep tone.(approx. 10 seconds).

3) Follow the instructions on the screen, Turn the key to the "ON" position.

4) After "System Connection" test has been completed the compass calibration screen will be displayed.

5)Press the "CAL COMP" button and follow the on-screen instructions. If you do not press the "CAL COMP" button within 7 seconds a blank screen will be displayed. If you are not in an area that will allow the vehicle to be driven in a tight circle, you can drive to a location that will allow this and push th "CAL COMP" button again.

Note: After the initial reset function the "miles" display will be "----". This is because the system is calculating the miles remaining. After about 30 seconds a new milage number will be displayed. If no milage number appears, make sure there is more than 25 liters of fuel in the gas tank.

I hope this helps LEN
  • gvr4wdgvr4wd Member Posts: 23
    After extensive research/test drives/dealer hassles, I just bought a Limited with premium package for $34K. I wanted to buy a MDX/Odyssey until I realized Montero has third seats.

Very comparable to other high priced SUVs and great reviews available on the net made my decision easier.

I just showed the dealer how much I can buy one at CarMax and asked to beat it, which they did. I wanted 0/0/0 financing and they wanted to charge more, then I walked off. Got a call next day, hehe.

Hope this helps,

Dong Shin
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    From the Mitsu site (mitsucars.com).

. Cannot be combined with any other financing program. Your participating Mitsubishi Retailer can provide you with additional details.
  • suepoasuepoa Member Posts: 7
    I've heard this noise that sounds like fluid in the transmission area. Especially when it is cold and from a complete stop. I've also heard it with the vehicle is just idling. This noise is heard all the time. Has anyone else experience this noise and is it normal.

Joe
    I followed your directions and they worked! My miles to empty display is working fine now. I wonder how the mitsubishi place attempted to fix the problem? I need to call them in the morning and tell them I fixed it myself!
    Thanks for posting the reset info. I have the manual as well and read about this but was too busy to post.

Interesting, I put in a small amount of gas on the way home over the weekend. This amount did not initially reset the miles to go info but after a little driving time it reset accurately. I'm not sure how but it did. I had previously understood by some that if you not putting in something like 6 gallons or more you could throw off the accuracy but I guess not.

For those of you replacing the unit see if they can get the GPS system from Europe. Was over there several months ago and they have the Pajero with a GPS that would fit the Montero as they are the same. I only wish they were offered over here. Maybe next year?
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Before the Consumer Reports flap, I had posted about rooftop racks (e.g., Yakima, Thule, etc.) and received a few responses. Yakima now makes brackets that hook onto the factory-installed luggage rack on the 2001 Limited and enable you to carry a Rocket Box, bike racks, etc. on your Monte's roof. Although I don't have any concerns about my Monte's stability in every-day driving and have been thoroughly pleased with the truck (except for gas mileage, that is), I was wondering if anyone else had put a luggage carrier on top of their 2001 or 2002 and noticed whether putting a couple hundred pounds of gear on the top of their truck created any stability issues. Obviously, common sense tells you that putting more weight up high will decrease stability to some degree, but what I'm really looking for are comments from someone who has done it and whether they had any problems. Thanks in advance.
    For those following the shock issue with the Montero I have some additional info. I was able to narrow down a fitment.

Apparently the Gabrelle (?sp) commercial valved shock fits and works very well. The guy I spoke with said it took out all the un needed sway but did not make the Montero too harsh.

This is a gas shock so I was worried it might be too stiff.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Are not the Mitsu Factory shocks gas as well?
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    We bought a leftover '01 for basically invoice along with the financing. Thanks for the wax tips.

As for kyoung7, we faced the same issue with our dealer who said no rebate with financing. All in all, we were lucky because we got a car that had been on the lot awhile and I am sure that the dealer had the manufacturer kick in more to just get a single car off the lot. (They can do this but would never tell you.)

The ads say they cannot combine the deals and that is pretty much the policy at the other dealers we shopped around at. When given the choice, I would choose the financing deal even if you were going to pay cash. $1500 rebate does nothing especially if are financing the car at more than 0%. I think your best bet is to take the "free" money over 60 months. Everyone I talked to including my banker friends mentioned that a 60 month 0% deal with nothing down is about as good as it is ever going to get. Another option is to buy a late model used '01 Monty with cash as there are a bunch out there (at least in the bay area).
    Claimed to increase gas milage (I dont see how) 10-15%.

http://capa.com.au/

Pajero site, interesting, some future features on the Montero may end up here first. Wish the GPS was offered over here.

http://www.pajero.com/english/top.html

I was happy to hear that the Montero took 1-5 in Dakar as did KTM motorcycle (my other passion)

• rodhewittrodhewitt Member Posts: 5
    I own a 96 Montero LS (88,000 miles) and I like the car except that it tends to be very noisy at higher speeds. I have noticed this especially above 80 MPH when a very load noise eminates from what I think is the top of the windshield (it has done this since new). I have visually inspected the area and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Brill:

Do you have, or can you get the Gabriel Shock catalog or part number that fit the 2001 Montero (so that we can cross reference to other manufacturers)?

Thanks in advance

-Phonos
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    They are doing a story on the Mitsubishi vs. Consumer reports on the rollover thing...
    Dont hold your breath on the 60min show. I have a political feeling that most of TV is run by people who would have us go back to the caveman days while they enjoy vast acres of private land in the recreation site of thier choice. I would be suprised if they say anything good about any SUV.

On Shocks, Gabrielle tells me they dont make a Montero 01 shock but the local shop found some. The guy should be back in today so I will find out which part number he used if he can remember now. I think that these companies have proper shocks but they have not checked measurements on the OEM to date so they dont have a public fittment recomendation yet. Will update later.

On Mileage, well I found out how much wind resistence affects mileage. Heading to the Bay Area with the wind a couple of weeks ago. Could not belive it when I got 21 mpg at 70-75 mph! Could see the grass blowing my way on the side of the road. Usually getting 18-20 at 65-75. Changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic now. Dont have enough time to tell if this makes any difference. I doubt it will on mileage but definitely on wear.
  • rbc3azrbc3az Member Posts: 6
    This question may already have been asked before but please bear with me.

Where can I purchase brake pads (f&r) for my 2001 Montero? I've checked the usual places but they say they don't have replacement pads. They said the only place to get them is from the dealer. Is this accurate?

Also, I thought the brakes would whine when they needed to be replaced. Mine aren't making noise yet but the dealer says I need to get the front brakes replaced (32K+ miles). Finally, do I need to get the rotors turned if the pads are replaced or do I only need to do this if the vehicle shakes when braking?

Thanks,
    R.C.
  • pinoy44pinoy44 Member Posts: 14
    Here is the link of 60 minutes preview:

http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,72161-412,00.shtml
  • scurscur Member Posts: 2
    I've just replaced my car battery and now my audio system is asking me for a code.

I've called the dealer that I bought it from but since it was a used car they have no records of the code.

I was then told that I would have to get the serial number off the back of the stereo and bring it to them to look it up. By the way, I was quoted $95 for them to perform this task.

On a small scale, this has the feel of some kind of scam.

One of the sales guy initially told me that all I would need is the VIN for the service department to look it up.

So, what's the deal here? Does anyone have any further insight about this.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Thanks for the post. Just what I thought it would be, nothing more than restating CU side. I noticed they didnt have the auto reps input. Real balenced reporting.

rbc3az: re brakes. Dont feel bad the GJC brake pads and rotors are needing to be replaced at 12-15K. Seems they used cheap metal. My personal opinion is that you dont need to turn unless you have a warped rotor. If you cant feel it it is probably ok. Everytime you turn them the get thinner so I would not do it just for the heck of it. I dont know where you can get pads as I have not had to replace mine yet. My friend with a 95 Montero did his own but I dont know if the pads are the same.

Im sure someone here will have info on pads
    The CU report was pretty much old stuff that has been argued back and forth for the last 10 years.

Same story about maybe CU does some things to increase cirucation of CR. Who knows? I don't think they have tested every SUV out there. There are probably several more that will fail if and when tested. Have to wait for their need for another circulation booster.

Changing topics,

Last time I was in for service I asked the sales manager about trading my 2001 LTD with 25,000 miles in on a 2002 for 0% 60 month financing (I have 3.9% for 48 mo. with about 30 payments left).

The dealer didn't seem very interested in the deal. Said he could give about $20,000 on the 2001 in trade which would make it about a push.

Any thoughts?
  • lennyllennyl Member Posts: 1
    Phonos - that tracks closely with what I know about trading in . . . . short version of a long story is that our Sacramento, CA area dealer told us our 2001 XLS was of no interest to him on a trade as he could get all he wanted at $18-19K from rental return sales. Basically there's no demand for used 2001s.

Lenny
    The TMV calculated with this sites computer and your 25k in outstanding condition indicated that the trade in value should be about 22K, to a private party sell at 23,500 and the dealer would turn around and sell such a vehicle at 26K.
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    Pads available after market from "raybestos"...My past experience with aftermarket pads on my Mitsubishi's have been negative. They have squealed badly and had vibration noises, switched to factory pads issues gone! The price I was quoted for aftermarket pads was within $ 20.00 of the factory pads...pads from dealer are $ 48.00 per front & rear sets. I strongly suggest having your rotors turned...any imperfection in the surface can cause the pad to vibrate and cause that annoying squeal and uneven pad wear. The brakes have a "wear indicator" that you will physically hear if they are worn to point of needing replacement. This will sound like a metal to metal rubbing sound when NOT apply the brakes. Having my done on Tuesday at the dealer for $ 340.00 front and rear. This price is competitive to local shops offers...Having recalls taken care also. I'm having an issue with what I deem as a transmission slip on cold shifts between 2 & 3rd gears...we'll see what the dealer says...expecting the "that's normal" answer. 2001 LTD, 31,000 mi.
    The price sounds about the same as for my '95 Honda for all four brakes at the dealer. Glad to hear Montero is about the same. I have the noise problem with the factory pads though when it is hot/dry.
  • skippydoskippydo Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking into buying a 1995, with 102K miles. They replaced the oil pan for leaks??, and when I went to drive it, would'nt start. We jumped it off, and the volt meter gradually decreased from 11V to 8V(over 20 minutes). Otherwise, the automatic trans. seemed a little rough(hanging in each gear)to start with but, ran smooth otherwise. I'm selling my wifes car to pay most of the $7K their asking...any body got any input.
    Have it looked at by a competent Mitsubishi mechanic before you commit. May cost you a few bucks, but worth it in the long run with the problems you describe.
  • skippydoskippydo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks,
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    Had my brakes done, recalls and 30,000 tranny service done. Their original response in regards to my tranny slip complaint was " never heard the complaint before"...now they tell me there is a TSA regarding this. It involves "flashing" the tranny computer and downloading new parameters via modem from Mistubishi. However, the computers where "down" at Mistubishi so they could not do this...another trip to the dealer to have this done. Interesting was BS info they give. Originally when I first complained about this slip @ 10,000 mi the SA told me that they was a computer problem and they where replacing the control unit. Did not have the time to leave truck then , 20,000 miles later and this is the "new" info. Curious to see if this is the fix. (I doubt it)
  • tykytyky Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Limited with 7K miles. Lately, I have been experiencing excessive wind noise inside the cabin at 50 mph and up. I tried to locate were the noise was coming from but I can't tell exactly. It seemed like the noise can come anywhere around the front cabin area. I know that someone has posted a similar problem before but I'm wondering if anyone is beginning to experience this problem.
  • fritzyugafritzyuga Member Posts: 1
    I have a 90 Montero with 170k on it. She's not the prettiest thing in the world, but she does her job. Until now. For a few days, whenever I drive it, it stalls when I come to a stop or even begin to slow down. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? When I am stopped, the rpm's just get so low that it cuts off. I don't want to keep driving it like that for fear that something worse will result. I would appreciate any insights.
  • alfie4alfie4 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if my question has been posted here before. I searched previous messages in this forum and could not find the same subject.

I bought a 1993 Montero SR two months ago with 102,000 miles. Lately, I have been hearing some noise which comes on and off. The noise arrives in a random pattern, mostly appearing when I am cruising above 50 miles per hour. I have been driving it mostly on 2WD. The noise sounds like clashing gears. The noise did not come up during my test drive with the seller. I also had the vehicle inspected by a dealer but the noise did not manifest itself either during the inspection. I told the dealer dealer about the noise. They have no idea what it is. They needed to hear it. Unfortunately, the noise just comes and goes. Any idea what it is? Thanks.
  • pinoy44pinoy44 Member Posts: 14
    I had experience the same noise/vibration. Have your wheel aligned/balanced and it should go away.
    Hi all...I lost my second key and key fob for my 01 Monty. My question is, as these things are darned expensive if I can just by the key and have them program it, or do I NEED to buy the alarm fob as well? If I lock the door with just the key, does the alarm get activated automatically, and if I unlock the door with just the key (with the alarm activated)will the alarm turn itself off? Thanks...
    On my 01 Monty if I have the sunroof open, the popup air deflector seems to have a weak spring? Basically it gets buffeted around (rattles) by the wind. Is this the way its supposed to be? Anyone having rattling from their deflector? thanks..
  • regalaregala Member Posts: 45
    You can just buy the key and have it reprogrammed thru the dealer. When you have it reprogrammed, make sure to bring all your keys. They have to be reprogrammed all together.
    We rented a 2001 Monty like ours last year in Denver. The only difference was that ours is a limited and the rental was not. The rental came with only the key, no fob. I have gotten spoiled and would not want to do without that fob!
    Quote from post at:

http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=69&t=004300

"I caught a bit of something a week ago about the Consumer Reports CRAP! If I remember they were dissing CR for BS.. and I got a REAL CLOSE GOOD LOOK at that 2001 montero... that thing looks like it WAS in low 4.. when it spins 180 smoke is coming off of the front tires (spinning out).. and one of the rims looks like it gets ripped right off.. like they had it in low range and just tomped it into the corner... jackarses!"

-89pajero
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    I took a 500-mile round trip with the family to central Wisconsin last weekend to do what passes for downhill skiing in the Midwest. We loaded-up the roof rack of our 2001 Ltd. with Yakima bars, a rocket box (16 cu. ft. luggage carrier), and several pairs of skis. I had been a little hesistant to do this after the CU flap last Spring but, given the lack of any reported problems since last June, decided to give it a go. Other than the ever-dismal gas mileage, the Monte performed flawlessly -- no stability problems or concerns whatsoever, even with a 25-mph cross wind blowing at the side of the truck. I can't believe now that I ever was worried about this. FYI, I used Yakima's "Doublecross" towers to attach the bars to the Monte's roof rack. Perfect fit, and very easy to put on and take off.
    If you have ever been on the door sills and yanked back and forth as hard as you can to see how much roll you can created with your body weight you would laugh at someone suggesting you cant add say 100-200 lbs up there.

I'm glad to see you couldnt notice the difference.

Hey for gas mileage try this, I towed a 3000lb trailer with a frontal area at least twice the Monteros. WOW, I thought I was in a big rig.
  • mortonkbmmortonkbm Member Posts: 3
    Well, I took my 2001 Montero LTD into Roseville Mitsubishi to have the power steering tank replaced (TSB) and to have the trip computer looked at again!!. I still have a problem with the "miles to empty" not resetting after I fill the tank. The computer has already been replaced under warranty and worked for a time, then the old problem resurfaced. I followed the procedure in the owners manual and reset the computer which again fixed the problem, but only for a very limited time. Now I have been told that the dealer is going to have to order another computer. AARGH!!!!!

I discussed the problems with the computer with Dave the Service Advisor at Roseville Mitsubishi, who confirmed that he has started seeing alot of the same problems with other 2001 Montero's. The real madding part is that Mitsubishi doesn't stock new computers (or radios) but makes the dealer send the defective unit in to be replaced by a refurbished one. This means that if your radio or computer goes out, you have to wait until the factory gets a refurbished one back from their suppliers (2 to 4 weeks). Man I'm I glad my radio hasn't gone out.

Has anyone else had to have the computer replaced more than once. I'd like to know.

Thanks and good luck to other Montero owners.
    Has anyone inquired who is exchanging a computer as to whether you can order the GPS unit from Europe. While there a couple of months ago I noticed this option and it fits into the same space as our computers.
  • sirpkpsirpkp Member Posts: 7
    My tank shows whatever it did before I fill up ONLY if I leave the key in the ignition and fill up. Try it and let me know. Is the computer the LCD display. Is there another one for the engine etc..
    A fellow 2001 Montero/Pajero owner in Greece has posted some interesting stuff on outdoorwire:

http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=69

that has started some interesting discussions including one on independent rear suspension modification.

Seems button actuated rear locker is available elsewhere in the world but not the U.S. Sure would like that rather than "hybrid" LSD.
    I reset my miles to empty function myself with
    the instructions posted on this board. When I called the dealer to cancel the order for the new one, they told me the new one had already come in. They had not taken mine out of my vehicle and I want to say that it was only a week later when I called. Unless they were not telling me the truth about the new one being in.
    They were probably shocked that I fixed it myself! Anyway, they didn't tell me that they needed to send one in to get it refurbished.
    Glad to here it.

For anyone else, I have the 4 volume set of manuals. I would be happy to look things up like this given the time. I think a few others have the shop manuals as well. The computer reset is in there and some other interesting things.

phonos, I brought over the advertisments from Europe. They have some accessories we dont have either. I wish I could post some of the pictures, perhaps I could get my digital camera out when I get free time....which is usually never.