Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Interesting that the Senior Editor said he would pick the Ford but thats because he does not tow or go off road. Just shows you how biased the testing is towards road characteristics.

Even more interesting is how low the marks were but how highly they rated the Montero in the comments except for road handling and power yet it finished last. Lets turn this around then. If the Montero had say 240hp and slightly stiffer anti-sway bars, from what the article says then it would be soundly in first place.

The review also has the Montero at 11. something seconds to 60mph and I have seen quotes as low as the high 9 second range so whats up with that?

Go read the paragraphs on the Montero and you will see why this would be true. "great interior, if you were going straight down the road you would think this is the best vehicle, best off road, etc"

Oh, dont forget the best warrenty and best observed gas mileage. I just got 21.7 over 370miles running from OR to CA. On the way back in the wind it dropped to 20 over 187 miles. I could not believe it. The only difference on this trip was that I used Mobil 1 but I find it hard to believe that the oil could help that much. Speeds ranged from 60-75 in mixed traffic, passing, and mountains.
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    "The lack of a fully automatic four-wheel-drive system cost it some points in the features category"

One can drive the '01 Monte in unlocked 4WD by putting the transfer case in this position. My understanding is that you can do this under all driving conditions and torques will "automatically" be applied where the traction is greatest.

Is the new one ('02-'03) different?

What does this quote mean?

That not having a choice of 2WD or 4WD is better than having one?

That most driver are too stupid to know when it's raining or snowing, or that they're not dirving on pavement?
    Phones, surely you jest. In my experience you have been very wise and I know you understand everything very well.

Of course those dummies dont understand that the ability to control the various modes on the Montero is almost unique to this one vehicle, and prefered.

While there are drivers who feel uncomfortable with learning how to use the 4wd system and would rather be in an "automatic" mode at all times, the majority of knowledgeable users and virtually all off roaders would say the Montero system is almost ideal.

Some might argue for a true locker in the rear or front but there are few if any SUV's today that offer such control over a system.
  • randyl712randyl712 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks!! I need ASAP!!!
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    DOES ANYONE IF MITSUBISHI WILL INSTALL A NAVIGATION SYSTEM IN THE 2003 MONTERO, AND WILL THEY MAKE CHANGES TO THE SUSPENSION.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sorry randyl712 - I looked around here, google & teoma and couldn't find anything for the '89 or '90 (which I understand is mostly the same).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Here is an Australian review of the 2000 Pajero which is identical to the 2001 Montero except they can get some options we dont have.

I like reviews from Countries that have real world experience with 4wd.

Notice at the end they mention that the Montero is in the running for top spot for family 4wd wagon.

http://www.4wdonline.com/Mitsubishi/Pajero/200009.html

Suspect 5000lbs but check this site out and email them. There are several there with the year montero you have questions about.

Good luck

http://www.monterooffroad.com/

• mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    Anybody care to respond to my question regarding what to replcae my Geolanders with? Post #1546. I'm sure someone has some good tire information to share. Thanks.
    I think I'm going to go with BFG AT's or AT KO's. Good compromise for on-off road. I like the tri-gard sidewall (triple ply). I might try some MT's (but I doubt if my wife will go for this).

They are all pricey.

Geolander AT's are supposed to be OK too from what I read. (And a little bit less expensive)

Size is the question -- LT265/70R16C, LT265/75R16D (give about a 0.5 inch lift), LT275/75R16D (a little less lift [0.5 centimeters])? I like the idea of increasing the load capacity from a C to a D range.

All of the above will fit a 7 inch width stock rim.

On that project Pajero in Australia, they went with the 265/75D size.

Keep us informed as to what you decide.
    You raise a very good tire question.

The rating of the Yok Geolander is very good for everything except mud.

The tire to improve off roading that I would go with would be the Goodyear MT/R

See these sites and many others that have rated this tire.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02january/goodyear_wrangler_rubicon.asp

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/technical.htm

• mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    A really good site to compare tire sizes including speedometer error is found here:

http://www.sgmotorsports.com/tiresize.htm#TireSize

Just enter in the values and go.

• sergio6sergio6 Member Posts: 20
    You are right on. Just ask any person from Australia, Latin America or Africa what is SUV of choice. Undoubtedly they will answer:
    1. LandCruiser
    2. Montero/Pajero
    3. 4Runner
    And this decisions are not based on the leather seats or buttons. They are based on whether you can rely on whether the vehicle makes it through desert, mountain or jungle to the next town...
  • seminole3seminole3 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Atlanta and just saw the news for the Lisa Lopes (from the music group TLC) funeral. They had shots of the accident that killed her and she was in a Mitsu. Montero. The vehicle apparently rolled over after some swerving and ended up in a ditch. Does anyone know if this was a new body style Montero?...I could not tell.
    I thought I read that she was driving a sedan - should be some links out there to verify.

[Edit mode - found one]
    "Lopes was trying to pass a car on a Honduran highway near Jutiapa when a truck approached from the other lane Thursday night, forcing her to veer sharply to the left, said police inspector John Cole of the resort town of La Ceiba. The Mitsubishi Montero she was driving struck two trees and flipped over several times."

link

Can't find anything about the model year.

Steve
    Host
  • pinoy44pinoy44 Member Posts: 14
    It doesn't look like it's the current model basing on the wheel the current model have.

See this link: http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/sh/entertainment/stories/entertainment-142197220020427-100410.html

What's your opinion?
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    The details of that crash don't support or refute the CU tests.

The vehicle flipped several times after striking two trees. I don't recall CU doing the "Tree Impact" test.

Your Healine in the Title "maybe CR was right" reminds me of typical Poorly written Media headlines. Sensational and suggestive Headline then admit to not knowing the facts or even if that was the vehicle in the crash.

Drew
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Judging by the bumper, it was the older design. Notice the plastic ends with the chrome middle. Not on the 2001 and newer model.

I definitely agree with 'dski'. Any vehicle that hits a tree or two most like will flip over. I was amazed that the 8 others survived. As I recall, the older models only have seating for 5 and not the third row seat.
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but is this the feature when you push on the compass button for a few seconds and numbers pop up? I have a 2000 Sport XLS. If so, then if you set it at 10 does that mean that you have 10 miles to go?
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    It does look like an older model.

Plus, what vehicle wouldn't flip if it went off the shoulder of the road first and the shoulder was soft (sandy?) or at a reverse angle to the road?
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    The article to which pinoy44 provided a link says that Lopes:

1) Was driving at excessive speed;
    2) Tried to pass another vehicle;
    3) Hit two trees;
    4) Rolled multiple times;
    5) Apparently had 9 people in the truck.

Like others above, I am astounded that 8 others survived the horrific accident. This shows yet again that people should not drive their SUVs like cars and should be more careful in the way that they drive any vehicle.
    Has anyone had to replace brake pads yet on the new Monty?. I'm mostly highway miles and mine are getting done today at 52,500 miles. I heard the normal replacement is around 25K to 30K.

They are turning front rotors and recommend but don't insist on turning rear rotors. I asked what benefit I'd get for turning rears for another $90. He said longer pad life.. I got 52K on the originals so I said skip it unless there is an obvious need. :) So I'm spending a little over $300 instead of over $400.. ouch.

Drew
    The reason I bought the Montero was that is was the closest thing to the Landcruiser. The LC is just priced way too high for what you get.

Interestingly since thinking that I have the second best off road SUV I read an article stating that the Austrailians had picked the 2001 model over the LC that year.

All the shops I speak with in Austrialia love the Montero.
    It still seems that people are targeting the Montero despite f/u reviews that have stated the Montero did not feel unsafe and using accounts such as the Lopes one where any veihcle might have rolled including a car
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but is this the feature when you push on the compass button for a few seconds and numbers pop up? I have a 2000 Sport XLS. If so, then if you set it at 10 does that mean that you have 10 miles to go?
    Did you ever get your new tires? If so, what did you go with?
  • tykytyky Member Posts: 5
    My 2001 Limited already have 7800 miles of normal driving. I have had the oil changed at 3000 and at 6000 miles. I read on the manual's maintenance schedule that Mitsubishi recommends changing the oil with normal driving every 7500 miles. Does anyone think the interval to change the oil is too far apart? If this is accurate, I am thinking of having the oil changed every 5K miles from now on.
    I always change oil every 3000-3500, use full synthetic. The oil can go a lot longer if you could just replace the filters every 3K. If you add a remote filter option and bring the filter up to the engine compartment you could not only use a better aftermarket filter but also change it without need to change the oil. Synthetics should last much longer than 3K.

Tires: just saw a picture of the new Geolander A/T's. They look more aggressive now and may be a step up from the heavy street biased Geolander that came on our Montero's. Yok also has an M/T but it looks much more off road oriented so may not be for everyone.
    New shocks look to be around the corner for the Montero.

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/new.asp#PRODUCTS

• pektradepektrade Member Posts: 2
    Have had the windshield replaced once & then resealed. Wind noise has just about gone away. Now I have an awful squeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiky noise everytime I go over a bump. Origin, you guessed it... the windshield. Try and get the dealership to reseal it for you. I heard that some of the windshields especially on the Sport had been badly sealed. Believe some of the full size Monty's are suffering the same fate. Goodluck!!!
  • pektradepektrade Member Posts: 2
    1. At approximately 12,000 miles. The engine started making a weird noise. Sounded like it had very bad & loud lifters. Problem has gotten progressively worse. Apparently a repair kit is being made by Mitsubishi to solve this issue.
    2. Wind noise repaired. Now windshield makes a squeaky noise every time I go over a bump.
    3. Vibration in brakes at 25,000 miles. Had rotors turned & new brake pads installed. Have 38,000 miles now & suffering from same problem again. Vibration when braking.
    4. Power steering pump makes whining noise.
    5. Air-conditioning clutch rattles and is noisy when air is not engaged.

If anyone else has any of these problems. Be persistent and keep returning to dealership for repair. Good luck!!!!
    I have Montero Sport XLS 2000 model. I have 255/70 R16s. Can I fit 265/75s or 265/70s? Thanks in advance.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    i'm looking to buy 02 montero limited. could any one give me a contact name or dealer in my area.IS 300 OVER INVOICE POSSIBLE FOR THIS SUV.THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPOND.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Thought I'd respond to several questions and comments from previous posts in one here.

I have 53K on my 2001 XLS. Replaced the tires recently with Bridgestone Dueler H/L and find them better than the originals.

Oil changes: I go about 5K with my intervals. Any expert will tell you that the "Average" person is wasting money with 3K intervals with todays oil technology. Many old school folks are still afraid of that but do your own research and I know you'll discover what I have. My dealer tech say's Synthetics are NOT recommended for this engine and can cause damage but I have not been able to collaborate his claim. Nor have I tried.

Rotors Problems: You have chronic rotor troubles? That is an odd one. In many cases of chronic rotor problems, I've found that someone is replacing wheels (such as during tire rotation) and NOT properly Torquing the Lugs equally to spec. If your having this done by someone using a torque stick, ask them to do it by hand from now on because something has been causing warping. My tire guy never complains about doing that for me.

Good Luck.
    Drew
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Did you know that Lopes and one of her assistants killed a young boy in Honduras again "driving excessively" just 2 weeks prior to her roll-over? No charges were made, but don't people learn? Even if the government didn't take their licenses away, you would think that it would've shaken them up quit a bit and to slow it down. It was her assistant who was driving, but carelessness and ignorance come to mind for the both of them.
    Synthetics will hurt the motor? I have never had anyone say that. The dealer told you this?

As far as your 5K interval, the only problem is that the oil gets "dirty" and the filter needs to be changed for optimal treatment but the synthetics can go for up to 7-10K without breakdown. Regular oils are better now but high heat can break them down much faster so I think driving style/loads etc need to be taken into account for each individual.

The remote oil filter option I discussed above would allow you to change filters more frequently than the oil and if running synthetics, save a lot of money. I havent done this yet just because I'm too lazy.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, and another major daily newspaper is looking for folks who successfully or unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate the purchase prices of their vehicles at the end of their lease terms. If you care to share your stories on either or both of these topics, please send an e-mail containing a short summary of your experience and your contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 14.

Thanks much,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yes the dealer told me this when purchased the Monty. I specifially asked because I've used synthetics in the past.

It's been awhile but he said something about this engine specifically that does not take well to Syn's in the long run. I have NO idea if this it true or not.. just something the service mngr told me. If I really wanted to use synthetic, I'd probably check it out with Mitsu directly given what I've been told. BUT, I don't see any warnings in the manual. You'd think they'd make mention if it were a problem. Maybe there are legal reasons to consider. Look what Toyata is going through with Oil Problems.

As far as the 5K change interval. We probably will never agree on it. 5K is just NOT too long a period for debris to be an issue for MOST of us and you already know the oil will hold up. Of course I said for "the average driver"... If your doing a lot of off-roading, 3K is what you should do. Maybe even sooner for some people. For me, I could probably stretch even further without worry. I'm 80% highway miles.

Best of luck
    Drew
    >>One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, <<

Well, I've always heard that Orange and Yellow cars from those years are the Least Reliable, so I've always avoided them. :) Pre 2002 orange and yellow cars are fine I'm sure.

What an odd request. Must be NY. Times. In Fact, I wouldn't be surpries to see them conclude that Yellow Cars are the least Crash Worth. CU did that study one year I'm sure, LOL.

Drew
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Must be NY. Times. In Fact, I wouldn't be surpries to see them conclude that Yellow Cars are the least Crash Worth.

If it is NYT, I would expect bias in favor of yellow cars - considering that is the color of choice for the thousands and thousands of taxis on the streets of the Big Apple! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    >>If it is NYT, I would expect bias in favor of yellow cars - considering that is the color of choice for the thousands and thousands of taxis...<<

LOL... as I was reading this I was expecting you to say they'd be biased toward Yellow since that's what identifies their Journalist best. :)

Drew
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Drew,

Now, now! LoL!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • curlyshempcurlyshemp Member Posts: 2
    As a 2001 Monte owner and a veteran mechanic, I recommend that drivers refer to one of the least-read publications that they possess--the owner's manual. Unless one lives atop Pike's Peak (or the like); regularly drives off road; idles the engine for inordinate periods of time; races; or drives the vehicle under severe conditions (e.g., like a taxi or UPS truck, with constant stopping and going); your best bet is to "follow the manufacturer's advice" with regard to oil changes.

Just as today's engines are far superior to the engines I started out on in the 1960s, so it is with motor oils. When I began turning a wrench, the best motor oils had a service rating of SC (for engines from 1967 and earlier). The latest oils have an API rating of SL, which exceeds the benefits of ALL PREVIOUS OILS, regardless of brand. While I do use synthetic oils for some of my cars (e.g., my antique Mercedes, which Mercedes-Benz itself recommends for their cars of those vintages) I rely on the non-synthetics for my late model cars. And I don't change my oil any sooner than necessary; to do otherwise is a waste of time and a waste of petroleum. When I was younger, an engine with 50-70K miles on it was a candidate for an overhaul; today, that kind of mileage unremarkable, due, in no small part, to the improvements of motor oils.

For those who remain unconvinced, I would refer you to the American Petroleum Institute's web site: www.api.org. This organization provides the service ratings for our motor oils. I apologize for the prolixity of this post.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I'm considering buying a 1998-1999 Montero or Trooper. I'd appreciate any comments from this group on the relative merits of these 2 vehicles. Thanks.
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    The techs at the dealership where I bought my 2001 Ltd. told me that synths are fine but once you use them you have to keep using them and can't switch back and forth between dino oil and synths. I put Mobil 1 in mine from the start and have had it changed between 3500 and 4000 miles. I've got about 13,000 miles on the truck so far with no engine problems whatsoever.
    You are probably right. If you put in good oil and changed it every 5k and compared this to 3k at say 120,000 miles you probably could not tell the difference.

The same holds true for the synthetic issue. Compared to regular oil changes with petroleum based oils you probably would not have anything serious happen in the time frame.

I do know of some racers who build engines who swear by synthetic and make statements like you cant even tell the engine wear.

Synthetic should not hurt the motor though. The only place problems should occur would be in motocycles with wet clutches where synthetic has sometimes been too slick and caused increase clutch slippage. I dont know of anything in our motors that would be equivalent.

Zinc and Phosphorus are the wear agents in oils of the past and worked well but then they were taken out or reduced and "additives" used in thier place. Many believe that these additives are inferior for wear protection despite what the oil companies say. You can see excellent discussions of this on motorcycle web sites as oil is much more critical in these engines.
    When I had my 1986 Suburban engine rebuilt after 130,000 miles, the rebuilder said all tolerances were still within factory limits for a new engine, with no signs of ware.

I always changed the oil (non-synthetic) and filter every 3-4,000 miles and used whatever 10w-30 was on sale or available.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I hate to ask a dumb question, but if all the tolerances were within factory limits then why was the engine being rebuilt?
    I had a '74 Volvo like that - everything looked nice and shiny and new on the insides at 60k. Too bad the flywheel had fallen apart.

Steve
    Host