Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• karonugma1karonugma1 Member Posts: 1
    kbmorton, I've installed 5" lcd (Addvision, $75 each from ubid.com) on the driver and front passenger headrest and it's being fed by a SoundStorm SDVD100 DVD/CD/VCD player. I initially planned on installing the DVD on the extra slot below the temperature knobs on the dash board but I can't remove the the cover. I might still try again someday when I get a tip on how to install in that slot (anybody how to?). Currently the player sits under the front passenger seat. I've used iRock FM transmitter to send the audio to the stock radio. I'm still looking for good deals on fm transmitter that hook directy to the antenna. Kids love the setup and future upgrade would be a headphone amplifiers so we can use our radio to play music while driving and another dvd player so they can watch different movies on each screen.
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Glad we all like our vehicles. Rebuilt the electric antenna. When putting the actual geared plastic portion in, something must be backwards as the antenna tries to go up when we shut off the radio and down when we turn it on. I'm (obviously) retarded (no offense to anyone) when it comes to electronics, but does anyone have directly applicable experience when it comes to this and can point me to the fix? (Talk about setting myself up for smart a## remarks - easy now.) Anyone?
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Sounds like the motor is wired backward.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    On your power antenna, I had the same thing happen to my T100. All I ended up doing was switching the wires around in the plug-in connector and it cured the problem.
    Seems like the motor reversed polarity.
  • lspivalspiva Member Posts: 49
    Hi guys.

I am looking for alloy wheels lock for my 03 Montero Ltd. Could anyone be so kind and tell me where could I get one from the Internet. I search several websites and unfortunately could not find anything.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    Leo
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you check Tire Rack? (they have an ad on the left)

Steve, Host
    Thanks for mentioning TireRack, I was there before and could not find anything.

I guess I would have to order those locks from the dealer.

Thanks again for your time in answering my question.
    Leo
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are some sites on the net that look like they have them - usual disclaimers!

Walkers Renton Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Parts Store

A net search should yield more. Good luck.

Steve, Host
  • softhds1softhds1 Member Posts: 26
    JUst wore out the first set of tires on my 01, not complaining, got 35,000 miles out of the set. I am looking for something with better and handling and quieter, have no use for off road. Anyone happy with their new tires, any ideas?
  • eebk17eebk17 Member Posts: 5
    Could someone tell me if they have hit 60,000 miles yet? If so, what did you have done for maintenance? The book has like 4 different schedules of things to do! Did you replace your timing belt? How about spark plugs? The dealer wants to do a bunch of checking for $400. They want $650 for a timing belt. How do you all feel about non-dealer service? I have had nothing but problems with mitsubishi dealer service.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    By the time you pay for the dealer to 'look' at the problem it already cost a bundle. Put it this way, if you bring your car in and tell them there is a problem and they said there is no problem. How would they be able to find the problem on their own? Beside, dealer are just way too expensive; the $600 they charged you for the timming belt does not complete the job. They do not replace the tentioners or water pump which would cost you a lot more. The best way is to find a trustable independence service. Spark plugs on the Montero is more labor intensive to replace, but any shop should be able to do it.
    Hi guys,

Could you please help me on one matter. I was thinking to install WAAG front and rear bumper guards as the area where I park is very crowded and not too many people pay respect to other parked vehicles. I almost ordered those guards until a friend of mine told me that because those guards are connecting to the SUV's frame, in case of even not too strong push, frame would be severely damaged. I talked to WAAG representatives but they refuse to comment on that, claiming that there is no such data is available.

Does any one of you have installed bumper guards on their Monteros? I am interested what do you think about it.

My only reason to get those guards is to protect my vehicle bumpers from scratches and dings.

Please advice. Thanks.
    Leo
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Your quandary is similar to mine. The only substantial protection I can find (at least for the front) is changing the complete bumper to an ARB winch mountable type (steel) with the guards integral to the bumper. Their bumper is designed to be air bag compatible

However, ARB recommends changing the suspension to their OME off-road "heavy duty" springs, shocks, and struts if you do this and plan to add a winch.

I changed my to the OME "medium duty" springs, shocks and struts which will probably be OK if I change out the bumper as described, but do not actually install the winch.

In fact, the added weight of the steel bumper will probably improve the on-highway ride when the vehicle is empty. Now, with the "medium duty" off-road suspension, it is pretty stiff with only the driver and/or one passenger.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I owned three Monteros (89, 93, 96) previously and thought they were fantastic vehicles on and offroad. When the current Montero came out in '00, it was so grossly underpowered with the ancient 3.5 V6 that I just couldn't buy. I'm in the market again, but find little info circulating on the Montero...is there going to be an '04? Any talk of finally equipping the Montero with a V8 or other improvements to put it back in the game. The new Touareg seems pretty good, but I doubt it'll have Montero reliability, plus it so bland looking.
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    I don't know what's new but one comment on the Touareg. I looked at one recently and came away very impressed with everything except the value ratio. The interior is great, it drives very well and has all the differential locks for serious offroad. However, once you add leather (a personal requirement) and a couple of other options, it's a $40,000 VW without a third row. If you opt for a loaded V8 (over $50k), I'm not sure why you wouldn't just spring for the fancier Cayanne that lists in the high 50s. Not knowing much about the 04 Monte, it would have to be a better use money especially if they continue to extend the 0% financing.
  • kbmortonkbmorton Member Posts: 8
    According to Motor Trend here are the changes for 2004: "This year, tire-pressure monitoring is standard on all models - previously Limited only - and a rear entertainment system is a new option for all Monteros except those with sunroofs. Side airbags are optional on the XLS.

Sounds like horsepower stays the same at 215 hp as last year.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I agree the Touareg is pricey...especially for a vehicle subject to lots of rough treatment in the boonies. A lot of that is due to the long list of expensive options that really do little for the rig. I would opt for the air suspension and rear locker adding about $2K. The V8 is a great performer, but adds $4K.

On the plus side, as long as one doesn't go nuts with all extravagent gadgets & options (nav, 4-zone a/c, etc.) most of the premium (over a Monty) will probably come back as higher resale. From what I read, they are also experiencing a high rate of first model yr teething problems.
  • joanng72joanng72 Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone,
    I'm new here......I have a 95 Montero which has been giving me lots of problems lately, I have had to replace the computer in the last month, because it has been stalling on me while driving in traffic.....anyway, what is the "normal" idle at a cold start? my idle seem seems to be very low (below 1000 - maybe at 600!) and I would like to see what idle other people have.
    thanks,
    JoAnn
    To Kbmorton,

I am finding a lot of discrepancies with MotorTrend article for new (2004) vehicle information.

It's funny to mention that per MotorTrend the changes for 2004: "This year, tire-pressure monitoring is standard on all models - previously Limited only - and a rear entertainment system is a new option for all Monteros except those with sunroofs. Side airbags are optional on the XLS."

I got loaded 2003 Limited and I do not have tire-pressure monitoring standard. Not even as an option. The DVD entertainment is offering only to vehicles without sunroof...its redicilious. Over half of all sold Monteros are Limited (read with sunroof). My dealer is offering aftermarket DVD system/navigation with navigation screen pops up from the dash (original screen with compass, temperature, etc is being replaced with navigation system) and two 5.6" monitors for DVD player is being installed into front seat headrests.

To JoAnn,

My 2003 Montero is idling at the range from 600 to 800 when its cold outside and at around 1,000 to 1,200 when its hot.
  • ckrollckroll Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 Montero LS that has been a great car thus far. 96K and never a problem (kiss of death). I recently started hearing a kind of clicking/knocking sound on the left front side. This happens mostly when turning (either way) but will also happen occasionally when making a transition from stopped to moving. My first thoughts were the CV joints. I had them inspected and two separate shops told me they were fine. One mechanic said he could throw parts at it but was not sure without really tearing it down as to what the problem was. I'm no mechanic so I'm looking for advice. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BTW - my email is ckroll@pmsyscorp.com
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Boys and girls, sorry to tell you this, but Mitsu's warranty is not the greatest and the dealer network doesn't step up where they should (IMHO). I have a '98 that has 58K on the clock. It's been pretty good. Here's the oddity: The male portion of the center seatbelt in the 2nd row of seats completely disintegrated. No. 1-this is the least used belt in our vehicle so why did it fall apart? No. 2-the dealer (Mark Mitsubishi-Scottsdale) told me the warranty on it was only 3/36. Mitsubishi said it was 5/60. Nice going. No.3-The local dealer is not inclined to replace this as a safety issue, but wants $50+tax for this belt. I hate this attitude of lying to the customer first, then nickel and diming us to death. I'm not pleased with this. Don't get me wrong, overall it's been a pretty good vehicle. Anyone have any other crappy treatment from the dealer?
    Just my 2 cents. In 35000 miles on my 01 LTD the car has been perfect except for noisy radio, replaced no questions asked. There is always a loaner car waiting even if just for oil change.I find the service department to be better than the one for my Lexus!!
  • chr12345uschr12345us Member Posts: 12
    I have recently had a transfer case error going from AWD to 4WDLC to AWD. the yellow light for the center diff started blinking indicating an error. To fix the problem, manual suggests turning ignition off and on again (this kind'a resets the transfer sensors). But it did not work. In the end I figured that the last successful position was 4WDLC so I put the shift level in 4WDLC, turn ignition on and then move to AWD. After a few attempts it worked. The next day I was able to reproduce the problem. Anybody else had this?
    Are you stopped with the transmission in neutral each time you go to and from AWD to 4HLC per the manual?
  • mtroccomtrocco Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into buuying a used Montero, but i'm having a hard time finding any around just to look at. Does anybody have a '98-'99 that could send me some pictures of the interior?

Also, i'm just starting to do my research, but it seems to me that the resale value of monteros is pretty low. For example a 98 Grand Cherokee can sell for 14,000 when a 98 Montero would sell for 12,000, but a new montero is more expensive than a new cherokee. Is this because of jeeps popularity? is there any other reason?
    thanks
    mtrocco
    Yes and no "phonos". The first time it happened I was driving (slow). But then the it happened also when I was stopped in "neutral". And I think that the manual states that you can change the transfer type while driving (under 60mph) and "if" stopped you must have the tranmission in neutral. Howver, since the problem bothered me, I moved it back and forth like 40 times stopped and in neutral and it never happened ever since.
    "And I think that the manual states that you can change the transfer type while driving (under 60mph . . ."

But only between 2H and 4H, not to 4HLC and 4LLC. Even then, things work better and faster with deceleration or at least no acceleration. When accelerating I've had it keep flashing (in transition) for quite a while (until I take my foot off the gas).

I've had it stick occasionly too when coming out of 4LLC in neutral. However, just put it back in 4HLC, engage the transmission, drive a foot or two and try it again. Usually the sticking is on a slope or incline or with the wheels turned left or right.

Everything needs to be nearly level and in neutral position (i. e. wheels straight ahead, no acceleration) to work as fast as possible. This is also a "problem" in manual transfer cases with automatic locking hubs which have been around since the 60's or 70's. So it's "just the way things work". It seems "no load" on all components in any direction is best and even then it may take a slight movement to "unbind" something.

I think what I just wrote is as clear as heavy mud.
    Thanks very much phonos. I thought that this was not necessarily a problem with the car but rather a result of the engineering of the transfer case (or any transfer case for that matter because as you said this is how things work). I've had this car for over a year now and still no trip to the Mitshubishi service (I do my own maintenance, oil change, filters etc.)
  • kun88kun88 Member Posts: 35
    chr12345, there are some switch for the 4WD. You may go to dealer ask them check it for you. switch should cover by warranty.
    Hi guys,

I'd like to ask if anyone of you is aware about any product that would make my life easier during parallel parking in the city. Yesterday, I had experienced that I scratched the bumper of the car behind me with my tail pipe when I tried to back up into a parallel parking spot. I do not have a problem with a driving SUV this size at any moment, but parallel parking is giving me chill. I would appreciate for any advice on any devise that is currently available for '03 Montero Ltd.

Thanks in advance for you time.
    Leo S
  • entropy1entropy1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to keep my 93 Montero running, but after 264,300 miles, I'm considering a used, replacement engine. What year engines, other than a 1993, can I drop in to replace my 93?
    One thing you have to say. This car is unbelievable in snow. Just put on a set of Firestone Destination tires. The car handles better, is much quieter, and in snow...wow!!!!
    I'd start looking at a possible turbo diesel conversion.
    Finally got my mechanic convinced to take out the rubber pads from the spring purchase on the shocks when he did the recommended re-alignment after 3000 miles.

The one on the front right side just would not stay in correct position. This seems to have cured the squeak and the metal to metal contact is not noisy as he had predicted.

He is concerned about the spring staying in alignment since the ARB-OME purchase is not cupped like the OEM model.

We'll see what happens.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    Good news, KYB now or very soon to have replacement shocks for the Montero.
  • claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    softhds1 or others, I have a 2001 LTD Montero with 36,950 miles, bought in Feb. 2001, so less than 36 months but over 36K miles and my radio apparently is going out with intermittent very high static for both CD and radio. It may work fine for 10 seconds to 5 minutes then goes to high static, even when on low volume, and have to shut it down. Has anyone had this or similar radio problems? I plan to take it to the dealer, but concerned he may not cover under warranty and that would be a real bummer. Does anyone have experience on Montero's warranty that is within time frame, but outside mileage? Any information would be appreciated!

On another issue, I recently got Bridgestone Dual A/T Revos put on and they seem Great! I took a 2000 mile trip with some bad road with snow & hardpack and they worked great. I hard time finding the right size in the NW in time for my trip, so I went to a little wider tire 275/70-16.
    Had the same problem at around 10000 miles and had the radio replaced under warranty. JUst recently, after a extremely heavy rain it happened again, but was gone the next day. I dont know if it is moisture related, but the static is independant of the volume control and is on am and fm
    Thanks for reply, my static problem also seems to be independent of the volume control and very load when it comes on. I though it might be a wet speaker problem, but you would think it would be proportional to the volume control. When they replaced the radio, do you think any work was done on the speakers? Anyone else with similar problems?
    I also think it has to do with a wet speaker, though I find no trace of moisture anywhere. The noise seems to only come from the subwoofer in the trunk. No work was done on my speakers when the radio was replaced. Dont know if it is important, but the factory radio was changed in the 2002 model year from the one we have
    Sounds like it might be a loose fitting, or moisture / corrosion (or broken wire making intermittent contact), on the antenna cable at one end (antenna end, more likely for loose / corrosion) or the other (input into radio), or like-wise the speaker wiring to the sub woofer.

I had a similar problem on my Honda. It was the antenna was loose on the rear finder causing a grounding intermittent.
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought a 275 tire required an 8-inch wide wheel?
    Check the Dueler site below, but the rim range is the same for 265/16-70s or 275/16-70s which is 7-9" rims for both tires are 8" rim width. The diameter is 31.2" vrs. 30.7 for the 265s.

<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo>
    It was a nice sunny day here today and the radio worked fine on the way home. It sure seems like a moisture problem. You might know, I was planning to take it to the shop tomorrow.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    My bridgestone revo a/t work extremely well in all conditions. I have been places in 2wd that took 4wd with the stock tires...no lie

I am happy to hear about alternate shocks coming out. Even with the ARB spings/shocks I would love to have something stiffer/more dampening control.
    Let us know what you find out when you bring the radio in for service
  • bldrdrmsbldrdrms Member Posts: 4
    Besides the new DVD entertainment system in lieu of the sunroof, anyone heard of other changes??
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    Had the same problem with my 2001 LTD Infinity system, Dealer replaced unit under warrantee even though it was an intermittent problem that did not happen at the time the dealer looked at it. I have not had a problem since. You should not have a problem being 1000 miles over warrantee, tell them it started before 36,000 and this was the first time you had the opportunity to bring the vehicle in. Good luck!
    rained today, the popping static was back though I notice it seems to be coming out of the passenger side only and occurs whether radio or cd
  • alex9528alex9528 Member Posts: 6
    new to this site. I recently changed my wheel/tire combination. i now have 265/70 17s on 17x8 chrome rims tires are michellin cross terrain suv. this combo seems to be the best for my needs.wider stance and higher ground clearance.offroad is much better and better cornering. i'll soon get OME shocks springs.let me know if anyone has gone plus sizing.
  • bldrdrmsbldrdrms Member Posts: 4
    The 3.8 V-6 will have 230 to 240 HP!