Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    I have 2001 Monty, only 22322 miles on it.
    The back door has developed rust spots around the window frame. Has anyone had any problems like this occur? Is there a TSB about paint problems?

Thanks
  • softhds1softhds1 Member Posts: 26
    I believe there was a 10 year guarantee on rusting on the car. Check with your dealer
  • sbeachsbeach Member Posts: 15
    Dude, drive it!!! You only have 22322 miles on a car that is 3 to 4 years old (depending on when it was manufactured within the year). That's like no miles at all. I think water is settling around your window frame because it hasn't been blown off the vehicle by the wind force of driving down the road. I have an '02 and already have almost 50,000 miles. I love this vehicle and drive it everywhere. The way this vehicle is built I fully expect to get over 300,000 miles from it.
  • dsgnr1dsgnr1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi
    I'm new to this forum. Just picked up a 96 mont w/133k. Antenna motor will not work. (no noise) How do you replace the power antenna. It looks like its sandwiched inside the fender.
    I searched other posts and found good advice on the whip, but nothing on the whole power antenna.

thanks,
    dsgnr1
  • dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    I do drive it, right to the Metro (DC's finest) every day. I drive it more on weekends. I plan on taking it to the dealer next week. I also have a lot of pitting on the alloys. I keep it clean but it is exposed to the elements. I plan on driving it for many years. Good truck, needs more power but otherwise still better than an "Exploder".
  • jlamarjlamar Member Posts: 1
    Advice needed. Just bought a 94 Mitsu Montero LS 4WD. 140K miles. Body and interior are in great shape. I knew there would be mechanical issues in my future. I need advice on a situation. First, the 3.0 V6 has a tapping sound. I have been told it is a lifter and that it is no problem. I've been told that the sound is common with the Mitsu engines because of the way the lifters are designed. The tapping drives me crazy but I will learn to live with it if it is not a problem.

I just replaced a cracked manifold. Not a major issue. Finding the part was the real adventure.

Now....there is a noise coming from under the hood...a clunking sound heard when accelerating or when pulling a hill in top gear. I have been told it is either 1) a burnt valve 2) A lifter arm which has malfunctioned 3) some sort of chain loose in the 4wd mechanism

-The engine (as weak as it is) is not losing power, skipping, etc. so I do not think it is a burnt valve.

-I have no opinion re: the lifter arm.

-The vehicle is not makes the same sound whether in 4wd or not.

Somebody. Please help me : (
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I previously owned three Monteros and traded the last (a '96) for a Jetta for my wife. I miss driving the bulletproof Montero and am starting to crave some off-road fun again. I'm considering buying the current model either new or used, but it's hard to find any discussion of the off-road capability of '01 and later Monteros. I have some misgivings about the 4W independent suspension and I'd appreciate any offroad performance info from the increasingly few Montero buyers who've ever used the 4WD-L setting. Its seems a shame that the "city-fication" of real SUV's seems to be dooming US sales of one of the best-engineered and toughest real SUVs ever built.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Just bought a 94 Mitsu Montero LS 4WD. 140K miles.

I'm curious - how much did you pay for it?

tidester, host
    Hi,
    I want to do some touch up work to the hood of my 1996 Montero. How would I find the correct color of touch up paint. The color is like a dark chocolate brown. I've tried to get this info from archive Mitsu with no luck. there is a plate with some color numbers under the hood, but it means nothing to me.

thanks
    dsgnr1
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    If you can't get touch-up paint from a Mitsubishi dealer, any auto paint supply shop should be able to mix a paint match for you using your VIN plate info, but you'll probably have to buy at least a quart and its not cheap.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I bet you could get a smaller quantity from a place that paints to match pickup shells and camper tops, bug guards and the like. I used to know a canopy dealer and they could crank out small amounts with their computerized paint mixer.

Steve, Host
    Thanks guys, for all the feedback. I did finally find a cool website that had the paint. Turns out that the paint spec under my hood was both colors. (base color and plastic molding)
    i.e., L77 for the top color, and S74 on the bottom. The website [https//:www.paintscratch.com] has pens and bottles and spray cans to fix chips. Thanks again. Now on to find the Chiltons Manual for the 1996 Montero
    dsgnr1
  • montero69montero69 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have a 1997 montero SR, i was wondering about a spare tire cover. i wanted to order a cover off a Pajero from Japan, anyone know if this will work? or how?
  • smkitesmkite Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious as to your fix. A dirty throttle body can cause idling problems, and Mitsu recommends a throttle body cleaning every 60K miles, I believe.

---------------------------------------------
    "Was wondering if anyone might know what the problem is that I'm experiencing. Have a 2001 Montero Ltd with 58K miles on it. No problems at all up to this point. On a trip from New Mexico to Arkansas with the family we experienced a situation where the Montero wants to die and not idle. I can start it back up and drive, but when I stop and try to idle it dies. It's Saturday evening at 7pm and the nearest dealer won't be open until Monday morning. We're staying in hotel right now in Fort Worth. Any suggestions as to what to look for in hopes that I might be able to remedy this myself?"
  • dandjnixdandjnix Member Posts: 3
    Oh My Gosh! I am on hold with Mitsu Motors Customer Complaint dept. because of the same thing. I went to the Mitsu dealership and they want $308 for a new one! So I came home and got on ebay and there are 3 that have the same problem as yours and mine. There has been no recall on this! I also noticed a car just like mine driving last week, with the same problem! It's like an epidemic and Mitsubishi doesn't or hasn't heard of any others! I don't believe it.
    Let me know what you have done.
  • dandjnixdandjnix Member Posts: 3
    We just had the same thing happen when we were travelling over spring break!
    We put in a higher grade of gasoline and it solved the problem!
    I happened upon this link while trying to find out what a "throttle body" is.
    http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/throttle_body/
    The web article shows how to clean v6 3.0 throttle body.

dsgnr1
  • brillmtb2brillmtb2 Member Posts: 14
    I have an 01 with some mods, ARB springs, struts, larger sway bars, Bridgestone AT REVO tires. The engine could use more power but it still would be hard to get this thing stuck. The only "complaint" from a review that I have read is the decreased articulation which is a result of the independent suspension. Something has to give to get this. However, in the review they showed the montero front or rear tire off the ground but stated the 4wd system was so good (x fered power to the other wheels) that you just couldnt stop it.

It is NOT a jeep but I know of someone taking a stock Montero 01-02 down the rubicon trail near Lake Tahoe (very rugged) and he made it. He lost some body plastic as you would expect. He was mad at his wife is the story.

The stock tires are horrid and the REVO's make driving in 2wd similar to what I had to do in 4wd before.

I have a Dodge Ram Diesel 4wd and if you compared its abilities with the Montero you would laugh. I ALWAYS take the Montero x mas tree cutting on the forrest service roads in the snow because it does so well.

I have had NO service issues, breakdowns and it runs like a top. The unibody does not flex much if at all.
  • formydaddyformydaddy Member Posts: 3
    hello! i am new to this site. i'm doing this for my dad. he just wants to know what the effects of changing to taller but thinner tires are. The tires he plans to put on his PAJERO (MONTERO) 2.5 Turbo Intercooler Diesel (Japan Model ’94) are taller but slimmer/thinner (not wider). The specs are 235/85/R16. The present tires are R15 (15 inch reams) but a little wider.
  • lumber2lumber2 Member Posts: 184
    Taller tires will cause slower acceleration, possibly poorer crusing at speed as the engine is out of its preferred rev range. Also possible is damage to the tires when they hit the bodywork as the suspension flexes. These tires may be way too big.
    Braking will be worse due to an increase in unsprung weight, and your speedo and mile counter will be inaccurate. Cornering will also be worse due to the reduced tread width. MPG will also likely rise as you tend to open the throttle more to get the vehicle moving.
  • tribalwindtribalwind Member Posts: 2
    i am also curious

especially regarding the tapping (engine knock?)

i have a ford explorer that has knock from a lifter/rocker arm probably.it DOES lose power/compression. .acceleration has suffered..but still driving for years like this

i am about to buy a 1994 Montero SR 4x4,109k all options,leather.looks great.....but it has a very small but noticable ticking from engine. he says it comes and goes..im thinking he didnt change/add oil religiously,
    what would a valve job cost for this truck.or what does a full engine go for? i'm sure it will last years as is.since my EX has run for 4 years this way. but id like to get it fixed if its serious and will get worse!!
    the deal seems great,he took my offer of $3k. i drove it and feels great

please email me at clujenul@yahoo.com if you have advice !
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please email me at ******* if you have advice !

Please keep the discussion here so everyone benefits!

tidester, host
  • tribalwindtribalwind Member Posts: 2
    correction. please keep the convo here, and CC me ! :)
    unless i'll get auto-notification through the boards software?
  • montero552montero552 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Montero Limited, slightly over 30,000 miles - it's been lightly driven, I use it when I return home to the USA every couple of months from my job in SE Asia. Very few issues since I bought it, this message board has been very helpful since all problems I've encountered were covered here.

Original tires still have plenty of remaining tread, but they're a bit old and I want to get new ones for peace of mind if the wife/daughter drive it while I am away.

I have seen various posts as to replacement tires, including one fairly recently on the Bridgestone REVO A/T which was very positive. What I would like is a tire that doesn't have a lot of tread noise at high speeds as the wife drives from Houston to Austin at a speed slightly below Mach 1. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Oh, will mention one other thing. Just a month ago I bought my wife a new Land Cruiser, she and my daughter are die-hard Toyota fans (the daughter has a RAV4). I have driven the LC about 500 miles, I must admit that I enjoy driving the Montero more than the LC. Tried to talk the wife into buying another Montero, she was scared off by all the recent concerns about Mitsubishi's continued presence in the USA. Needless to say this cost me a lot of money!! Mike
    They are quiter than stock tire on the Montero. My Father put them on his JGC and had a similar experience. I know the tread looks noisy but that computer design must be good for something

Aslo, look on the tirerack site and you will see they are #1
    May thanks brill. Will look for these tires when I get home. I'm almost ashamed to admit my ignorance on tires, guess I haven't bought a set in 15 years. Been buying vehicles every 2-3 years, I've hung onto the Montero longer as I really like it - and the trade - in value is so low I'd ather hang onto it than give it away...

PS I hope your Dad has better luck with his JGC than I did - i had two of them (97 and 99 models) and they gave me quite a number of problems. In fact I traded in the 99 at 19,000 miles for the Montero.
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    I put Firestone Destination LE's on our 2001 Montero Ltd about 10,000 miles ago. Great tire, wearing well, quiet, stable. Save your money and go with the Destination LE's over the REVO's, same technology for less money.

Our Monty also had the same problem with the tire cover but was out of warranty when it showed up. I started pricing a replacement when some kid rearended me and drove off while I waited to turn into my neighborhood. Problem solved as he got just into the cover. By the way I caught the kid two months later when I saw him at the gas station and followed him to school. I called the cops, he was arrested, fined $500, and I heard he lost his license for a while.

The valve noise described on the older 3.0 liter Monteros is similar to the sound I have heard on my Diamante. The noise on mine started around 65k right before I had the timing belt replaced. The noise is gone now thanks to the timing belt that broke at 87k due to a faulty part in the Mitsubishi timing belt kit. Mitsubishi did come through though and did a head/valve job on the engine which took care of that problem. My opinion is that other than being a little annoying, if the Monty has the noise you knew about it when you bought it and due to the cost of a valve job (around $3,000) you will have to live with it. Despite Mitsubishi's toubles I am amazed that they covered this repair given that the shop who replaced the belt was just an independent shop.
    you know I have had a metallic sound that I have been told is related to the fan belt. They replaced the belt but I have it back again. I dont think it is a lifter. I suspect it is a pully.

Have any of you had the same, I know that every Montero I have listened to around here has the same sound but I wonder if there is an identified fix or whether it is even important.

Of course, the dealers know nothing
    My Dad had problems with his 99 and they eventually traded him for a 2000. No problems with that one. One of the issues is the front rotors are crap and once you add aftermarket rotors the brakes stop warping at 15K.

I think overall the dodge, jeep products are improving in quality. I have an 03 Dodge Ram Diesel that is doing well and if anything can break a vehicle its that cummins motor in there. I dont think my auto tranny will hold up long term but I knew that going in and wanted to hold onto my wife and my coffee rather than the shifter.

Good luck on your tire selection. If you can afford the Bridgestones you will not be disappointed. The other advantage I didnt mention is that you virtually cant get them to hydroplane, not that I recommend you try, once off the ground the car spins fast but the original tires and other AT tires I have driven dont do nearly as well.

I just wish they made these in 17 inch high load rating for my truck.
    Brill, I checked out the tirerack site you recommended, great site. Must have spent 2 hours browsing through it. The number of choices is amazing. I read the REVO review, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

I must respectfully decline gtroop's Firestone recommendation due to personal prejudice - I lived (and suffered) through the Firestone debacles in the 70's and haven't had that brand since then.

Dodge must certainly have their act together, everywhere I go in Texas I see tons of the Ram trucks. I've talked to a few owners, they seem very satisfied. So far I haven't seen many of the new JGC's, will look again when I am back in the USA in late may.

No metallic sound on my Monty. Everything quiet under the hood.
  • rberardrberard Member Posts: 22
    Other posts suggested that the radio has to be taken out. Do you take out the radio and replace it, or take it out to get the code? My radio went out when we changed the battery. We've changed the battery before and this didn't happen. The antanae doesn't even go up.
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    Yup, I'm out of warranty and asked my service advisor about it. He said it was fairly common (I've seen at least 4 in my neighborhood alone with the same problem), but there has been no action taken by Mitsu to address it. He plans to talk to the regional service manager when he comes in (usually once a month) to see if he'll do anything about it. I'm not holding my breath, though. Poor, poor design and execution when so many spare tire covers are doing this.
  • rs_rogers1rs_rogers1 Member Posts: 6
    I see that the new 2005 Montero's have a 1367# payload compared my 1167# payload on my 2001. I can definitely use the addtional payload since I tow a small camping trailer sometimes and the tongue weight puts me right at the limit if I have a few people onboard.

Is this a modification or parts that can be installed on my 2001 to raise the payload rating (GVWR)?

Regarding my idling problems a few months back. Don't know exactly what the cause was. I assume it was just bad gasoline. Had a tune up and a new battery put in as quickly as I could. Never had the problem again. Thanks for all the help.
  • mujmanmujman Member Posts: 29
    you take the radio out and find the code from the back/under. Then using the code you reset the radio again.
  • marchforwardmarchforward Member Posts: 3
    After knowing that the Monterol will be dropped after 2006, should I still buy one? I want a new truck and I am thinking about the Montero. How come it is under sold? Is it because of the roll over issue that was mentioned back in 2001? I test drove one back in 2001 and I loved it. However, I didn't buy one due to budget issue. Now, I want the 2005 model. Should I get it or should I consider other SUV's? Any comment is welcomed.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Montero is a terrible gas hog and it's only 215HP. It has no side curtains (just side airbags) and there are hardly any dealers left to sell/service it... Plus it's a Mitsubishi - 99% of people think it's totally unreliable (we know it’s not true in this case.) The maintenance on this thing is very expensive. Did I mention the car itself is expensive? For $30K take a look at Honda Pilot EX-L and you'll see why Monteros or Endeavors are not selling. I used to consider a Montero but new ones, especially now, are not worth the trouble, I don’t think.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Well, I think that Mitsubishis are great values if you get them used (particularly a year old with low mileage), due to their steep depreciation - and if you aren't worried about re sale value yourself (plan on keeping it a long time). I agree with cracovian that if I were looking to buy a NEW SUV in the $30K range, I would buy the Pilot instead of the Montero. Another thing to consider is whether or not you will be doing any serious off roading. From what I have read, the Montero is a more capable off roader than the car based SUVs such as the Pilot. Regarding the Endeaver - In my area, 1 year old Endeavers are selling for @$18,500 with under 20K miles on them - and this is the sticker price that dealers are putting across the windsheild. In my opinion (assuming Mitsu will be around to service the vehicle), you get a lot for your money in this scenario, and still have warranty to boot. But again, if I were to buy one of these, I would have to buy under the assumption that I was going to basically drive it until it dies, and not concern myself with re sale.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Let's make sure that we compare equivalent cars here... If it's a used LTD 4x4 Endeavor we're talking about for less than $20K then I'd definitely consider it but chances are it's an LS.

Recent Monteros are always loaded and are now most heavily discounted new Mitsubishis. If I were to get one I'd go for a new 2005 (just shy of $30K before TTT - $7K off the MSRP). Used 2004s sell in high 20s, 2003s mid 20s, and 2002s low 20s. You'd really have to get something much cheaper than that to justify the loss of the extended powertrain warranty (only applicable to the original owner) and the risk of getting an abused truck.

But again, $30K will get you a nice Pilot or a new Grand Cherokee V8 4.7l for superior offroading. Montero's price should decrease a few more Ks at the end of the year (that's when loyalty rebates kick in too), so I'd wait as long as possible if I just had to have it... Who knows, they might even go back to the free maintenance program which is worth a lot when you have to change so many different fluids ($$$) in this monster.
    Thanks for the response. How many different kind of fluids do you have to change? I thought besides engine oil, transmission and differential, there is not much else, right?

I don't plan on doing serious off roading...I just like the way it drives and the romminess. However, with only 15/19, I am really worry about the gas expenses. If I can get a brand new Montero for lower than $30K at the end of the year, I think I will consider it. Otherwise,I might consider other cars/trucks. It is for myself and my wife have a minivan already, so I am not using it to take my kids around. I just want something that is fun to drive. Would you consider a Pathfinder?
  • vanjovanjo Member Posts: 1
    Having problem removing front rotors on mitsubishi montero. do i have to remove all the screws or is there an easier way to do this?
  • nasfd35nasfd35 Member Posts: 6
    I think I have an unusual problem. We've and an odor in our Montero that smells like cat urine. :cry: I've already searched the web and found an enzyme that "should" remove the smell, but I need to know the most likely spot to look. I don't want to take apart the whole ventilation system, or spray blindly hoping to fix the problems. :confuse: :sick:
  • bldrbldr Member Posts: 11
    A/C - Musty/Moldy Odors In Passenger Compartment
    No.: TSB-02-55-005
    DATE: July, 2002
    MODEL: All with A/C

SUBJECT:
    MUSTY ODORS FROM AIR CONDITIONING
    (A/C EVAPORATOR COIL TREATMENT)

PURPOSE

This bulletin contains instructions for applying Mitsubishi Cooling Coil Coating to help eliminate musty odors emanating from the air conditioner evaporator coils.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Symptom/Condition

The customer may complain of an unpleasant, "musty" odor in the passenger compartment when the fan blower is switched on. This condition can be related to the area where the vehicle is operated, occurring more often in humid climates.

Cause

The unpleasant "musty" odor from the air conditioner system occurs when condensation, which is a normal occurrence, forms in and around the air conditioner's evaporator coil and mixes with airborne pollutants and
    bldr.....Thank you for the reply.
    Where do I find the complete bulletin with the "instructions for applying Mitsubishi Cooling Coil Coating to help eliminate musty odors emanating from the air conditioner evaporator coils?"
    Follow-up questions... TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, right? Is this something the dealer pays to fix, or do I? I've found a list of TSB's for my year/model, will the dealer be able to tell me if they've all be repaired?
    "Bulletins differ from recalls in that they are not considered safety or emissions issues and they usually apply only when your vehicle is in its warranty period.

Even if your vehicle is within the warranty period, "the dealership is not going to do anything about it, if [technicians] cannot verify the concern.... "

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)

Steve, Host
    If you don't plan to do any serious off-roading, I'd definitely lean toward the Pilot.You mentioned the PF, and while I really like the looks from the outside (esp. the Off-road edition), the interior left me a bit wanting. I think it was the plastics and its texture. We were all set to love it and trade in the Montero, but both my wife and I got the same feelings regarding the interior. For the price difference between trading in the LTD and getting into the PF Off-road edition, it just didn't float our boat enough to justify.

LTD likes: rear a/c, room for 7 (in a pinch), tuck away third row, capable off-roader, nice interior, doesn't require premium fuel, good looks, good driving position.

LTD dislikes: tumbling rear seats don't offer enough cargo space, average brakes, a bit floaty (maybe I'm just used to my other car), hate the rear cargo door configuration, no optional NAV, spare tire cover clear coat is separating after only 4 years of life (garaged, no less).

How do you define fun to drive?
    Occasionally I'll get the center diff. light flashing, and if I restart the car it disappears. Now I have one of the tire lights in the dash go out. You know, the one that shows when you're in 2wd or 4wd mode. When the car is in 2wd mode only the 2 rear wheel lights are glowing green. Right now only the left rear wheel light is on. Is there a simple fix or do I need the assistance of the $tealer for this? It really isn't a big deal, but I hate looking at the lights and knowing one is out.
  • bldrbldr Member Posts: 11
    se your dealer only he can apply the TSB. Subscribe to alldata .com to see the whole list.. The diff light problem is also a TSB!
    Thanks for your response. I think it will give up not to get another car for now. My Accord is still running great and I should save up for my kids' education fund. Shelling out $30K+ is kinda pricey right now. Plus, gas prices right now make me think twice before getting an SUV even though I still want an SUV or truck down the road.