Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• dsgnr1dsgnr1 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how to get the rear door open when the lock is inoperable? :mad:
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Search the web for Pajero as it's called in Asia and Australia. Australia has a few shops that will send replacement parts for what you are looking for. I'm actually trying to find lowering springs and firmer shocks for smooth on-road use and can't find a thing. I've seen 2 different lift kits, both from Australia vendors. good luck.
    My rear door lock stuck on my 02 Montero also. I ripped off the inside of the rear door and discovered that the handle Spring was rusted. Still worked after shooting some gumout rust remover/oil on it. You don't have to take the door apart,
    First: Buy some and shoot it in the little holes on the underside of the handle. Get a little screw driver and insert in the drain hole of the handle and move it around till in breaks loose. Or just tap the handle till the vibrations and the gum-out break it loose.

Happens every few months. I haven't gotten around to getting a new handle assembly from Mitsu. Think it's about $60 since they don't just sell the spring. you can take the door apart with a phillips screw driver and pop off the plastic pegs. Plastic sealed the inside door, but I just pulled it back, cleaned the spring and pressed the plastic and that sealed it back up.
    Give you a maintenance update: Our 02' Monty Limited with rear AC 104k miles.

At 75k miles we did the timing belt and water pump as well as new rotors/pads aftermarket. Flushed all cooling heating tranny fluids. Brake Booster Recall done. The rest of the 60k tune up was done of new sparks ect.

OEM tires went at 60k miles
    Goodyear Frontera lasted 40k. Much quieter tire.
    Pirrelli Snow and Ice are on now. Better traction than above and surprisingly more quiet than the touted Frontera. Gonna get a set of summer wheels/tires.

At 101k, Brake Booster was making noise when ever I applied brake. Needed to be replaced. I was mad since the original Booster was fine, but the recall made them replace it, now the replacement was out.

At 103k, engine was running hot while idling so I had it towed to dealership. Blown head gasket. Head was fine after extensive testing. CHECK your Rear AC Cooling Pipes! Ours were rusted out and cracked. Not yet leaking but would have happened real soon. Another way to blow your engine. AC pipes were about $300 to replace.

We use 4x4 about 5 days a year so it's been working fine engaging and disengaging.

Overall, not much maintenance (the head gasket was expensive but it was a freak thing). Very reliable overall. I give it a thumbs up. Now I'm trying to firm up the suspension as the OEM is a bit mushy and going to be replaced at 120k (shocks/springs).
  • lonestarlawyerlonestarlawyer Member Posts: 2
    I am quite saddened after trading in my Montero Sport this week. She was so reliable for me for 150,000.00 miles. Never had to have any service on it other than oil changes.

I got into two wrecks in that truck, and came out the winner both times! :)

Godspeed, my little ol' dinged-and-dented silver savior, I'm really going to miss you.

That damn Montero got me through some of the roughest patches of my life without any problems whatsoever.

You were great to me and I know your "organ donations" will help other mighty Monteros!!!

:(

For what it's worth, if you are by some chance contemplating purchasing a used Montero Sport, I encourage you to go for it.

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have gotten rid of mine.

BEST VEHICLE I'VE EVER HAD :shades: !!!

:)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I got into two wrecks in that truck, and came out the winner both times!

I suppose anything short of a total loss or serious injury could be regarded as a "win." :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • djsaldjsal Member Posts: 1
    I have 1999 Mitsubishi montero and its having some transmission problem. When I drive about 30 Mph on a regular steet and then I let go of the speed padel. The transmission [non-permissible content removed] to lower gear and then and then when I step on the padel slightly I hear a kick sound from the transmission. It seems like there is a delay in shifting gear and when it shifts gears it makes a kick sound.
  • jasonb1jasonb1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1989 montero LS than ran before i replaced the head gaskets...
    but now it wont start....
    it has a spark and brand new spark plugs but it sounds like its not firing

can anyone help me out??????
  • semakulnsemakuln Member Posts: 1
    I am not sure what Mitsubishi Motors America has planned, but I would assume that they are bringing back the new Montero in the near future. If you look at the Shogun/Pajero for the rest of the world, that thing is a sure winner. It's looks like they are going after Land Rover's LR3. Not to mention the awesome track record that the Montero has all over the world. If you look at the Mitsubishi site for Chile, there is actually the new Montero on there. If you can read spanish, you should be good to go. But as the rest of us are, I am waiting for the debut. Can't wait.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    The following Mitsu site has the latest Montero/Shogun/Pajero info in English:

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Pajero/Montero/Shogun and it's involvement in motorsports as it happens: The All New Mitsubishi Pajero and Pajero Evo
    Sailing216,
    It worked! I sprayed the thing inside the door like you suggested and a few months later (probably due to warmer weather) it finally let me in. I then popped the panel and lubed everything in site. thanks for your input.
    dsgnr1
  • ladyj926ladyj926 Member Posts: 2
    I am having a really tough time getting a shop manual for my 2001 Montero. (It is NOT a sport!)
    I am not into downloading the manual & having to look at the computer for every move I need to make.
    Matter of fact...I am having a tough time getting any parts I need at the parts houses too. They inevitably get it wrong each & every time I need something. What's with this? :confuse: I really like my truck & would like to keep it for another 105K! The alternator recently went & it took over a week to get one. While in the shop I had the trans pan dropped & cleaned.......another problem getting the "proper" fluids.
  • ldanielsonldanielson Member Posts: 4
    Two questions - we bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport a couple of months ago and so far love it.

Question 1 - The owners manual was not in the glove box and we need an owners manual, but the dealership wants to charge us $49.00 Any suggestions??

Questions 2 - I had to disconnect the battery and clean the posts, as the vehicle wouldn't start. When I got it reconnected, everything came up OK except the radio, which indicated "code" on it's digital display. When we punched in "1234", it now comes up as "off" and we can't get any of it to work. On the faceplace, it shows that it is an anti-theft model. The dealer says that without the code in the owners manual, it has to come out of the dash and they would have to read the serial numbers on it to re-set it, which will cost us $79.00 plus tax - less than buying a new radio. :mad:

I need help, as I am getting frustrated.

Thanks for your help.

ge2feather
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online says that Mitsu doesn't have them online. Maybe eBay?

Some radio codes are on top of the radio, and can be seen by removing the fascia trim (aka bezel) surrounding the radio - often you can read the number without having to pull the radio out at all. Usually the surrounds pop off with a butter knife (any owners know?), but it depends on the car.

You might ask a stereo shop if they can do it, if there's one in your area.
    Thank you so much - you saved us a 90 mile trip (one way) and $79.00+. We got the radio back in order within just a few minutes. following your suggestion. Thank you.

I am still trying to find an owners manual, but will take your suggestion about e-bay. A friend had suggested calling junk yards, but again, we live 90 miles from the nearest city.

Thanks again.

Gary and Annie :blush:
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    Does anyone here know where i can find the fuse for the power mirrors? I have a 2001 montero sport. The manual shows 2 diff fuse boxes in the passenger compartment, and the only 1 i can find doesn't have the correct fuse. Thanks.
  • jetamericajetamerica Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. When I press the brake everything seems to work well except there is a quick series of 4-5 sqweeks coming from under the dash or more likely by the master cylinder. The accumulator shakes every time the sqweeks happen. Has anyone had this or know the problem.
  • ladyj926ladyj926 Member Posts: 2
    There is some type of booster for the abs which was on a recall list. I have had mine replaced twice so far, There is a series of clicking noises then the pedal seems to drop a little farther than usual. Check with a dealer to see if it is covered....mine was both times. JLH :)
  • montyvicmontyvic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Montero Sport LS with ~140,000 miles. It has a 3.0 liter engine and an AWD system. Despite the truck's current problem it has been a great vehicle.
    For about the last year I have hearing a noise from the engine compartment. The noise generally occurs when the engine has been idle, such as overnight. Sometimes the noise doesn't occur. Once the engine is warm, the noise disappears. At first I thought that the noise was a valve ticking noise as if there was no oil in the engine. I confirmed that it was not an engine oil problem. I then thought it was a loose "off-road" plate, but that was not the case. I have taken the vehicle to two different car mechanics and neither one found anything, heard anything or charged me. I have also been experiencing the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on for a couple of days continually. Then a day later it goes off for a few days. In addition to that, the engine has begun to buck between 1500 to 2500 rpms. I did have one of the O2 sensors replaced as well as a new gas cap. With the price of gas these days, I not sure the truck is running as efficiently as possible.
    This past summer my mother-in-law experienced a problem on her '03 Toyota Camry. The noise from the engine sounded very much like what I am hearing on my Montero. The Toyota Dealer ended up replacing her Intake Manifold. That solved the problem. I can't help but think that I may be having a similar problem.
    Can someone offer some advice?
  • lbarattalbaratta Member Posts: 1
    how do i manually reset the "check engine" light?
  • cadr333cadr333 Member Posts: 2
    How do you reset the computer on a 1996 mitsubishi montero after replacing throttle positioning sensor
  • msshelamsshela Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Montero Sport and I also got the "code" message on my radio after replacing my battery. Like you I tried "1234" and other codes to no avail until the message read "OFF". I followed the butter knife procedure and got the serial #.

My questions are:

1. How do you get rid of the "OFF" message so I can enter a new code?
    2. What is the code...the last four digits of the serial # or what?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Would you Montero owners prefer to have your own separate forum so that the Sport discussions don't bleed over into the area?
    Yes, I believe it would be very helpful. :shades:
    Yes sir.
  • newarnewar Member Posts: 1
    Yes, absolutely please.
    Done - if anyone sees a post or thread that belongs in a Sport discussion or vice versa, please let a host know so we can try to move things where they'll be more easily found.
    Thanks for making the split, Steve :)
  • mujmanmujman Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2004 Montero LTD and has 30,000 miles. The car is under 5 yr/60000 mile factory warrany. From last 3 weeks the brakes seemed to be making a grinding noise. My initial thought was maybe it was a sticking calliper. After I took it to dealer they also confirmed that the brake calliper is the issue. But they said the my particular issue is not under warranty as the stone or rock may hit the calliper and torn the boot. So it will cost me $180 to have the calliper repaired. I thoght it was rip off. Anyway If xied the problem by paying the bill. Anybody had an issue with their brake calliper going bad that early ? I think that particular Service manager is a fraud.
    We've got the same rig with 37k on it and we haven't had any caliper issues. We've had the brake pads replaced already though. How are your tires and brake pads holding up? Gonna have to get the tires replaced on ours in the next couple of months.
  • zenshaizenshai Member Posts: 1
    Stop trying to reset the clock while you drive!! =) :P
  • mujmanmujman Member Posts: 29
    Hello Mikevegas06 - I have reaplaced the brakes and cut the rotors in 28,000 miles. All work done by the same dealership. Also changed all the tires in 28,000 miles as one tire had a leak and was not repairable. So I have spent quite a bit on the brakes and tire replacment. But I do not mind that change . But the bad caliper threw me off - especillay when the dealer said it was not under warranty!!
    Mujman -- Oh, I don't blame you for being suspicious. I would've felt the same way. I guess the dealership is giving itself the benefit of the doubt since it's not possible to show that the caliper is defective.
    Yep, I had the brakes replaced and rotors turned at just about the same mileage as you. The dealer said it was normal to have them replaced at this point because it's a big/heavy vehicle. I was skeptical with their rationale, but I feel better now that you have confirmed it. I had the pads replaced by a local auto repair shop because their hours are just more convenient for me. Anyway, I paid a little extra and got lifetime pads. Basically, I only pay for turning/replacing the rotors (if needed) from this point forward. I went the lifetime brake pads deal because we plan on keeping the car for awhile.
    The OEM tires are Bridgestones and very few tire manufactures make anything in the Montero's size. I guess that I'll just stick with the Bridgestones as replacements.
    Sounds like you're set for the next few years though. You'll just be dealing with oil changes and tire rotations.
  • powderonepowderone Member Posts: 2
    Montero InfinityP912 radio. Have the codes, how do I get rid of the "OFF"?
  • rbt0005rbt0005 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact problem. Sometimes when I start the car for the first time in the morning it will make the noise very loud and other times it won't do it.
    Did you or anyone else ever figure out what the issue is???
  • rbt0005rbt0005 Member Posts: 2
    Response to this:
    I have a 2002 Montero Sport LS with ~140,000 miles. It has a 3.0 liter engine and an AWD system. Despite the truck's current problem it has been a great vehicle.
    For about the last year I have hearing a noise from the engine compartment. The noise generally occurs when the engine has been idle, such as overnight. Sometimes the noise doesn't occur. Once the engine is warm, the noise disappears. At first I thought that the noise was a valve ticking noise as if there was no oil in the engine. I confirmed that it was not an engine oil problem. I then thought it was a loose "off-road" plate, but that was not the case. I have taken the vehicle to two different car mechanics and neither one found anything, heard anything or charged me. I have also been experiencing the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on for a couple of days continually. Then a day later it goes off for a few days. In addition to that, the engine has begun to buck between 1500 to 2500 rpms. I did have one of the O2 sensors replaced as well as a new gas cap. With the price of gas these days, I not sure the truck is running as efficiently as possible.
    This past summer my mother-in-law experienced a problem on her '03 Toyota Camry. The noise from the engine sounded very much like what I am hearing on my Montero. The Toyota Dealer ended up replacing her Intake Manifold. That solved the problem. I can't help but think that I may be having a similar problem.
    Can someone offer some advice?
    ******************* Response *******************
    I have the exact problem. Sometimes when I start the car for the first time in the morning it will make the noise very loud and other times it won't do it.
    Did you or anyone else ever figure out what the issue is???
    The sporadic engine light/engine hiccup might be due to a failing catalytic converter. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
  • redeyerider11redeyerider11 Member Posts: 1
    please help me activate my 1999 mitsubishi montago clarion radio. the off light will not go off. I have the radio serial number #88258079A . I can not get the off light to go off. It will not go to enter code. thank you, redeyerider11
    It's been so long I can't remember....I know I tried to put the code in several times and it turned off. We called our delearship and they walked us through it. We got the code from the dealer after we gave him the serial number off the back of the radio.

Good Luck :shades:
  • homer67homer67 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. Cold start enging chatter. Goes away in 1-2 minutes once warm. Oil level is fine. Have you found the cause?
    try disconnecting the battery again. I think that this will reset you to your 3 tries.
    dsgnr1
  • bryetheguybryetheguy Member Posts: 2
    hey im new to this forum
    I have a 1997 mitsubishi montero (not a sport) and i recently dented the driver side door and driver side fender. I purchased a new door and fender and put the parts on and was wondering if i could take the speaker out of the door make a box for it and hook it up inside the vehicle.
    the only problem is i dont know who to get the wiring unhooked and then how to set it up once i have the box made?
    so i you could help me that would me much appreciated.
    thanks
  • powderonepowderone Member Posts: 2
    In order to re-set the anti theft radio, I had to turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position (do not start the car) for one hour, when I returned the radio was ready for the codes.
  • bryetheguybryetheguy Member Posts: 2
    im not trying to get the radio out im trying to get the speaker out of the door
    but thanks though
  • sylvanssylvans Member Posts: 1
    This has been a great car for me and the wife, yet with age some things are finally showing... the rear door had been hard to shut probably out of allignment, now the handle will not engage to open door, I saw a similar post using some rust-remover so I will try that first but then will need to properly allign the door on the hinges so that it closes easily, got any tips?? Thanks for this forum, Sylvan.

A closer look at the door revealed that the plastic handle on the outside is broken, now am looking at how to dissasemble the door to replace the locking mechanism?? got any tips??
  • tomindytomindy Member Posts: 1
    Hey- I havent found that out yet, If you have found out please let me know!!!! Im trying to sell my car and need to fix it!
  • fastvwg60fastvwg60 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everybody be ware of you brake booster accumulator going bad it makes a wierd almost like grinding noise, but don't be fooled that sound is only heard when you depress the brake pedal. It is actually a small nitrogen leak inside the brake accumulator. Do not let crooked mechanics rip you off, it only takes a few minutes to replace the accumulator which is the black metal ball that sits on top of the brake master cylinder. The price on the accumulator at the dealer is only 162.00dlls and most everybody with a little mechanic skills can replace it. ;)
  • montero_manmontero_man Member Posts: 1
    I have a Mitsubishi Montero Sport and recently replaced my stereo equipment (head unit, subs box, amps) due to theft & the box for my subs is about 2 inches higher than the level of my tonneau cover when it is extended. I don't want the outline of the box to be seen, so need to raise the level of the tonneau cover height itself. I'm wondering if this kind of thing has already been done by someone in the forum and, if so, they might have some ideas on how to approach such a project.
    getting a lower box is not an option because the JL Audio 12W7 needs the cubic inches in the box as it currently is. Any suggentions/advice that anyone has about a custom fabrication job to raise the height of the tonneau cover in the trunk would be much appreciated. Thanks.