Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• floydsterfloydster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Montero ( full size) with 52,000 miles and
    my power train warranty expires this coming April. Should
    I have a new timing belt installed even before I reach the 60,000 mark. The dealer said I should have a new water pump
    put in at the same time. About $750.00 for this repair.
    Any input sure would be apprecited.
    Thanks Floyd
  • truomegatruomega Member Posts: 1
    02 limited: Trying to figure out how to adjust the time on the display. Everytime i hit the adjust button, The only thing that i can select is the brightness. Any ideas? Thanx in adavnce
  • rflorescarfloresca Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 montero, when stuck in traffic the front wheel lamps light up on the dashboard and after a few seconds i hear a grinding noise, need help? going on the freeway seems fine.
  • softhds1softhds1 Member Posts: 26
    car must not be moving
  • dianeltd2003dianeltd2003 Member Posts: 2
    It's almost 2006, and I'm back with the same problem. This year, luckily, the dealership was able to replicate the problem!!! The bad news - they had to order 30 new parts, 3 of which were from Japan so it's taking FOREVER! Anyway, apparently my transfer case somehow got overheated, which melted and disformed some parts, which ruined other parts. I have no idea how this happened. They gave me some suggestions. First, to transfer to 4 low, you must stop the vehicle, put it in neutral, and then switch hears. That's fine, I knew that. Further, if you are transfering from drive to 4H, you must be operating at less than 20mph. Honestly, I had no idea about that. Further, the wheels must be perfectly straight, you cannot be facing uphill or downhill, you cannot expect and immediate transfer to 4H. THE LIST IS WAY TOO LONG. I must say, if that is true, this vehicle is WAY TO DELICATE for my needs, and despite the fact that I love it, I live in a horribly snowy and hilly area, and will need to trade this baby in. It's a sad day for me, but I need 4H to work when and where I need it, not under condition A, followed by condition B, only if condition C is not present, etc.
  • timt1timt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Montero Sport with the V6. It has 120K and started buring oil around 100K. Now, it is burning oil at about the rate of a quarter every 1500 miles. I have not noticed any drop in engine power and do not hear any engine noise. On take off, a nice cloud of blue smoke comes out though. Anyway, this concerns me because I need to keep the vehicle a few more years. So, just wondering if anyone had similar problems and had some suggestions. I was hoping maybe it just needed a valvue adjustment and not a full head rebuild.

Also, I have the problem with the shimming in the front when braking heavily. I will try to replace to the rotors with "beefier" aftermarkets. Thanks to this board for that idea.
  • montyfanmontyfan Member Posts: 3
    My 1995 full size Montero won't shift into overdrive. The O/D light comes on when you press the O/D button. It was an intermittent problem, but now it won't go into O/D at all. Is it a bad transmission electronic control module, stuck O/D solenoid in tranny, or something else? None of the lights are lit on the dash to indicate a problem or fault code. This problem began after I put a newly rebuilt engine in the truck. I do have a light lit on the dash that indicates an ABS fault code. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Montyfan
    Did you ever resolve this issue? Is it a safe practice and did it work for you? Thanks, Al
    It sounds like the valve guide seals are going bad on your Montero. Puffing a cloud of smoke at start up or after idling a while indicates the valve guides are worn. It doesn't affect the engine's performance at all, it just means that you're going to have to keep a close watch on your oil level so you don't run it low on oil. Unless the oil usage gets really severe, I'd just buy cheap motor oil at Walmart and add a quart when needed. Adding a quart of oil here and there (and putting up with puffs of smoke) is alot cheaper than a $1500-$2000 valve job. Been there, done that! Good luck. Montyfan
  • dsdriskilldsdriskill Member Posts: 3
    My wife (in a strange emergency) pulled the shifter in our '01 Montero from Park to Drive just as the engine was shutting off. (She had turned the key to "off", then panicked as the garage door came down on the back of the Montero, and slammed in into Drive with the engine's dying breath.) As a result, when I try to start it, I get a single "click" of the starter trying to turn, then nothing.

Also, if I take the emrgency brake off, the Montero rolls freely - even with the shifter in Park. I have connected a computer to it, but no codes are showing...

What do I do?! Any help is appreciated...
    I have an '01 Monty with the same gurgling problem. It didn't start until I had lots of maintenance done to it, including having the timing belt replaced. I have no idea what's causing it either...
    OK. Now I have better information. The shift indicator on the instrument panel shows that the transmission is in Reverse. How do I get it into Park or Neutral so that I can crank the car?
  • sbeachsbeach Member Posts: 15
    I also have the same noise. It started after the timing belt was changed. I had a shop change the belt and I believe the noise is probably from air in the cooling system. It looks like the cooling system must be drained to change the belt and most likely the system was not bled properly. Just an idea. I am taking mine back to the dealer to see what they have to say and will let you know.
  • mitcakmitcak Member Posts: 1
    Hi,I have 2001 Montero Limited-full size.I have 82 000 mil on it.I'm very happy with the car.I'm looking for replace my suspension(front+rear)-still there OEM.I was looking for it on web and I found it only OEM and products from KYB company,which is offer two kind- GR-2 Gas Shocks and Struts and Gas-A-Just Shock Absorbers.Can you tell me if somebody got experience with exchange suspension.Is it better OEM or KYB.I found somewhere on the web,that OEM Montero suspension is also KYB.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    mitcak
  • pajero101pajero101 Member Posts: 1
    here's what I did with my 01 monty ltd. (85000 mile)I changed the shocks and springs with ones from OME Suspension(medium rate is preferred). Check out Rocky-Road.com.I also changed the wheels/tires to 17s with 265/70/17 rubber.This mod raises the ride to 3.75 inches higher than stock.The overall effect is perfect for on/offroad performance.Cornering, towing, and full load driving is greatly improved. Also, I changed my stock air filter with cold air intake from Injen Technology(they make one from monty sport ltd.but will fit monty perfectly.this mod adds 10hp and 20mpg per tank. i still have original rotors with no other problems so far.
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    Does anyone have experience with aftermarket shock absorbers. How does Monroe stack up against OE, or others? Also, will aftermarket springs help improve the ride? Thanks.
  • monteroman91monteroman91 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 Montero 4x4 with the 4-speed auto w/OD. It often shudders into gear and has a hard time staying in gear when the wind blows really hard while I'm doing 50+. I was told that it was the torque converter. That's a $576 repair price. Is this for real, or is there something else I can do? It has almost 200,500 miles on it. Thanks!

M-Man91
  • toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    I own a 2001 Montero with more than 49,000 miles and have not had any brake problems. I'm sure they are approaching replacement time. I also ran the original Brdigestone tires for 44,000 before they neede to be replaced.
  • brjohnsonbrjohnson Member Posts: 10
    Had a 2001 with 80k plus and no issues that I replaced with a Denali Yukon to pull boat and trailer we got last year.

Now just replaced wife's car with 06' Montero Ltd...really missed it and with the pricing out there now, no better deal for this sized SUV. Looked also at the Commander, but with 3rd row, when folded down, the cargo space is really limited and optioned out, was still going to be over 12k more for us.

The Monty may not have a couple things (nav, memory seats, satellite radio), but for the money, really a great vehicle. I really like the updated white gauge faces too!
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Update on my sister's Montero. She still loves it. Has had absolutely no problems with it. Continues to take her to some of the roughest locations in the mountains of NC without complaints. She now has 85k miles on it.

Great vehicle, hate to see them leave the US.
  • sageh2osageh2o Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with the overdrive on my 94 LS- did you ever get this solved? please help!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Mitsubishi Montero: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion and report on your gas mileage. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • sageh2osageh2o Member Posts: 2
    I found the problem or I should say my realy nice local transmission guy did! All it was was some sort of plug not pluged in its just part of the overdrive i guess you can ask any tranny guy about it?
  • mharveymharvey Member Posts: 1
    The 4WD shift stick on my 1994 Montero SR is in 2H but the 4WD is still engaged. Any insights as to how this mechanism works or what needs to be adjusted would be appreciated as I do not have a mechanical manual on the vehicle.
  • ultraman1ultraman1 Member Posts: 1
    Cna anyone tell me what the SR stands for? Thanks!
  • montero1montero1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the Old Man Emu 1.75 lift on my '03, with 265 70 17 BFGs. Awesome.

">link titlehttp://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/712331link">
  • sortacrazysortacrazy Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with the tranny being in 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel trying to engage on its own. Usually after the 4-wheel lights start blinking and I've came to a complete stop. Did you ever find out any more information on the problem? Thanks Harvey.
  • crazygreencrazygreen Member Posts: 6
    i think the montero can be better...maybe the next evolution have more style and can be more weird than the one is one on the roads... :mad:
    they should start a revolution in 4x4...again :surprise:
  • milgirlmilgirl Member Posts: 2
    I recently have had the same problem. The top two wheels are blinking and I took it to the dealer. It only does it when I come to a stop or ride over a bump. I have never taken the car out of 2WD. The dealer said no codes were coming off and they were awaiting information from the Tech Line....this scares me because I travel alot and I cant afford transmission work. Can anyone help or tell me what may be causing this.
  • lemersonlemerson Member Posts: 5
    Dealer said it was my 4x4 detection switches. For my model year (mid-2002) there are 4 switches that needed to be replaced (parts = $182.00 + Labor = $250.00; sorry extended warranty does not cover these parts – go figure). Now, prior to replacing, the front Diff was engaging almost every time I drove the car…when the light was on (blinking) it would not engage again by itself. After I picked the car up from the dealer it ran fine for about 150 miles…Now the diff is still engaging & the light never comes on? One of the four sensors/switches replaced was on the front diff and I think this senses when the front Diff is engaged and controls the light on the dash (they will stop blinking and just stay on when you put the car into 4x4 mode & the diff is fully engaged). The dealer had a problem after they installed this sensor – the problem: the 4x4 light was just blinking so they shimmed it out (FYI this is leaking now!) and the light stopped blinking. Another issue I noticed today (probably due to being shimmed) I tried to put the car into 4 wheel drive high which did work however, the light never stopped blinking to let me know the diff had engaged???? It’s going back to the dealer on Monday – most likely still a sensor issue. I’ll let you know what happens.
  • bist2460bist2460 Member Posts: 5
    Since yesterday, there is a noise(grinding or two squeaky)coming from somewhere near or in the ABS cylinder that is located under the hood near the switch box. The noise comes every few minutes. Sorry if i couldn't more clearer or the right word. Please help with any advice how to eliminate the noise. I had great help in the past. thanks again.
  • bbygrlbbygrl Member Posts: 2
    This is my first time in any kind of forum whatsoever, so please understand if I don't exactly get it all quickly.

However, there is this beautiful, fully loaded Montero for sale down the street by a local relator - 85,000 miles, perfect condition - for $8,000

All I want to know is if there is any problems with the manufacturer, this model, or the year, (1999).

Got hosed on a Jeep Cherokee in the past, which is part of my fear.

None of my car family knows anything at all about Mitsubishi's - seem very distant about the whole thing.

My view is that the price is just right, can live with the gas mileage issue (really only 18?) since I don't drive alot, but do need a vehicle that will be reliable.

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    bbygrl
    Check out the True Market Value while waiting for opinions.
  • mujmanmujman Member Posts: 29
    Mitsubishi is a reliable brand. Especially Montero ( full size). I personally own a 2004 Montero LTD. But before that I owned '85 and '93 Montero. Montero has a long history of reliability. One thing you should think about 99 Montero is - this model year does not have stability control option as a safety measure ( they started inputting Stability Control from 2003 model). If you think you can drive safely and maintain the car, it will serve you for a long time. If you think you can live with 15/19 MPG fuel consumption, at 85,000 miles it is a definitely a better buy then any US made SUV undoubtedly. This is my 2 cents. hope this helps..
  • bbygrlbbygrl Member Posts: 2
    mujan:

You are my only reply and thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

The price is right at $8,000 and it is a totally luxury vehicle. I am not a wild driver, so the stablity control is not that big a deal for me. I do like sitting high on the road, out here in California anyway for the times I have to compete on the freeway.

Probably would never use the 4WH drive feature, so that is kinda a draw back. A little concerned about the gas mileage - but basically would use it only to and from the airport and grocery trips.

One question I have not been able to answer is whether the third row seats can be removed, and if the second row seats fold FLAT.
    Do you know?
    Please see the link - as per the MSN-Auots you cannot remove or fold the seats for 99 model. But it is always good to ask the dealer about that where the car is:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Interior.aspx?year=1999&make=Mitsubishi&m- odel=Montero&trimid=1566#trimsel

Hope you enjoy the car if you are thinking to get it. Take care.
  • dmellodmello Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for the delay in replying but this is usually sorted out if you dis engage the 4x4 to 2x4 and then reverse your vehicle back for approx 10 meters.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Mitsubishi Montero/Montero Sport
    Nothing at this point to my knowledge. Actually Montero is discontinued in US only- the euro-asian version of Pajero (same SUV) will be still manufactured. That suggests that Montero or similar will be back again redesigned so that it can be more competetive with other SUV in market. But nothing in near future..But who knows what Mitsu has plan for US !!
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    I have 2001 Monty, only 30k miles, the dealership
    states the belt should be replaced every 4 years or 60k miles. I thought it was every 60k miles, does it go
    by years was well thanks.
  • gazebrogazebro Member Posts: 5
    Same thing just happened to me on my 2001 engine with 80K.
    The truck got noisy. I pulled off the road and now need a new engine. I am being quoted 6k-8k for a new engine!!!
    Is there anywhere I can get a used, refurb, remanufacted, or something to cheap to get back on the road!??
    so much for faulty engine warranties.
  • gazebrogazebro Member Posts: 5
    My engine died at 80k. A cylinder was not getting combustion and noone could tell me why including the dealership. Now the engine is dead. I only found 3k-6k. I only owe 8k on the car now. Help! Any ideas? Other than that its looks new.
  • mmonsees1mmonsees1 Member Posts: 2
    95 Montero v6 24v My spark plugs were not firing correctly at all losing almost all power up hills and highway driving. I changed them about 3 days ago(and wires). Everything was great until today on the way to work they started going terrible again. Same symptoms as before i changed them. anybody know why they would fail so quickly?
  • wheelinwheelin Member Posts: 2
    i am working on a 1995 mitsubishi montero,it has a 3.0 24 valve v6,it,s my sisters car,the timing belt split in to 4 pices,and took out every thing ,i put on a new timing belt,a new crank shaft sensor,a new cam shaft sensor,that did not work,so i had the ecm rebuilt,and also put on a new idle air control valve,this did not work,i checked all the wiring it,s all good,checked all the fuses they are all good,the thing wont start,the check engine light goes out,it turns over good,the chilton,s repair manual dont say any thing about trouble shooting ,by all means the car should run but dont,i am a disabled vet,and my sister is a widowed single mom,we cant aford much money on auto repair,we have spent alot all ready,i would greatly appreate any help on this matter that any could give me,i went to the public library and looked through all the repair book,s and could not find any thing on the montero,s so i am preaty flustered,please help.thank,s :mad: :confuse: :sick:
    Some libraries subscribe to Alldata.com and can download info for you. Or you can subscribe yourself (link). This article has some more links in it:

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin

And you may want to post in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion while waiting for more responses in here.
  • pitterpitter Member Posts: 9
    I am about to purchase a 2007 2-door Mitsu Montero in Colombia S.A. The vehicle appears to be more or less the version sold in the US in 1992 or so. It has the 12 valve V6 engine. I´d like to upgrade to oversize aftermarket shocks as it will be driven daily on rough unpaved roads. I´ve been looking at Tokico and KYB shocks. Are there any reccomendations for what works the best on the Montero? I tried the search feature here but nothing popped up. Thanks.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Canada and Mexico will get the 2007 Pajero/Montero later this year. The salesman I spoke to said they are making the next US Montero up to the safety standards of the 07 line-up, starting with the 07 Outlander, then 08 Lancer, Evo X. Will it be an 08 Montero? who knows. But I'm sure the Montero will stay for a long long time, it's longevity guaranteed by good performance of the super production model in the Dakar Rally. 7 consecutive championships, 12th win overall this 2007, and that's a 1st and 2nd place for this year.

See the video Pajero Evolution MPR13