Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    The rep I spoke with is as honest as they get. The area I live in is paradise for hunter-fisher types so it does not suprise me if the story was true. When I looked at the MDX the FIRST thing I noticed is that the approach angle and the way the bottom of the vehicle is designed was going to hamper its off road ability. Then the off road tests came in stating the rear end felt too light at speeds and that there was problems with grounding out the front end.

Its probably a great on road SUV though.

Interesting that the milage the longer term reports are getting for combined on/off, etc are only 1 mpg than the Montero. I dont understand this given that the MDX is rated at something like 24mph on the highway.
    Agree with the need to break these tests up more. Also, consumers would benefit by a larger review that educates them as to why SUV's are placed into different groups. They could then quickly par down the choices based on what they want thier SUV to be able to do.

Just look at how much confusion the Sequoia has presented. Some think the VSC system is great and 4wd hated it off road....so it depends on what you are going to do with your SUV.

I took my Montero through the hoops at Tahoe the other week. Yes, you can spin out in the ice and this would be harder to do in the Sequoia but where people get into real trouble is driving too fast on ice and then trying to make a corner. No VSC system is going to prevent you from going off the road.

I personally like less electronics and more mechanical functions to a degree, less car controlling driver input and more driver controlling SUV. Thats basically what 4wd mag said in so many words.
  • ken131ken131 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone notice that when backing up slowly while turning (pulling out of a garage for example)or when going forward and turning slowly (into a parking space, for example) when the monte is in 4llc and/or 4wd that it is not too smooth and makes sort of a rumble? what is the reason for this? the dealer told me that it is just a function of the car being in 4wd /4llc mode. Any comments or info would be appreciated. This is my first 4wd vehicle, so maybe this is just standard on these types of vehicles. It does not happen when I am in regular 2wd mode.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    AAA rated the 9-5 Best in Class as well. Nice to see that the Saab is still getting high marks after 3 years of production.

Drew
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    Somebody correct me if I'm way off base here, but I believe that when 4WD is in part time mode (which I believe is the case in 4LLC), the differentials are locked. When you take a turn, the inside wheel is actually travelling slower than the outside wheel, which is what the differential is designed to compensate for. So when the center diff. is locked, you'd get the noise and a "hopping" sensation from the front tires because both are moving at the same revolutions.

That's why it is recommended that in 4WD mode w/ diffs. locked, it should only be used in slippery stuff. This is what my Jeep dealer told me, but the problem is that my Jeep was doing this even in full-time 4WD, which doesn't lock the center diff. But apparently the svc. tech. knew so little about 4WDs that he didn;t know the difference between part-time and full-time 4WD. --Jimmy
  • ken131ken131 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone notice that when backing up slowly while turning (pulling out of a parking space for example)or when going forward and turning slowly (pulling into a parking space, for example)when the monte is in 4hlc and/or 4wd that it is not too smooth and makes sort of a rumble? what is the reason for this? the dealer told me that it is just a function of the car being in 4wd /4hlc mode. Any comments or info would be appreciated. This is my first 4wd vehicle, so maybe this is just standard on these types of vehicles. It does not happen when I am in regular 2wd mode.
    Thanks for any help.
  • pro212pro212 Member Posts: 44
    Hi All,
    I had agood deal working on a former lease car at my dealer with 12,000 miles, Beige, all seemed perfect except a small burn mark and some soil on the cloth seats @$24500. I passed because: 1)the car felt rolling and lumbering on the highway and handling reminded me of an old Buick or my old 1988 Isuzu Trooper (which I grew to dislike) 2) not full time 4wd or AWD 3)gas mileage seems pretty bad considering the other unibody SUVs are in the mid -high 20's on the highway (why is the Monte so low @approx 16combined? tires, torque, auto trans?)4)fit and finish can't compare to Toyota, BMW, Honda, or even Hyundai Sante Fe 5) worried about reliability specifically brakes (the one I tested was making squeeling noises in reverse) and auto transmission which I heard anecdotal reports from "sister dealers, (eg dealerships selling both Mitsu, Toyota and other makes )as problematic (maybe untrue/unfair?? but seemed to make sense with stress in lugging around town in stop and go such a heavy underpowered SUV) Yet, the side airbags, the room, the design was very nice and seemed to be a well made car. What did I buy? I decided that mileage, excellent handling, AWD/ABS/traction control, and fit/finish were more important to me than rock hopping, size and side bags. I test drove a Hyundai Santa Fe LX 4wd with ABS/traction control which was a very nice, well handling, well made and extremely stabile ride fully loaded (with leather)@$23,000. So I think you are correct about needing to classify SUVs differently. If you want true off road ability and size, you're decision tree runs to Monte at a good price for what you get (though depreciation must be very high after the first year considering the deal I got on the 2001 XLS with 12000 miles @ 7000 off MSRP). On the other hand, if you don't need to rock hop or tow or need 6-7 passenger size, the Hyundai Santa Fe was very impressive on a variety of unpaved road and wet/icy, tight curve situations (and fit and finish reminded me of my BMW!). The Sante Fe to me was much better riding and handling than the Toyota/Honda/Mazda/Ford competitors. Tell me if I made a mistake when I passed up the used 2001 Monte XLS @$24,500!!!
  • sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    I'm seriously looking at the montero limited but concerned about the strain on the engine while on the highway. I read that the SUV is under powered. boat weighs close to 3500lbs,
    Anyone with comments?
    I was interested in your comments about the Sante Fe. A relative is considering this SUV because they want an inexpensive and smaller SUV.

I would disagree on the fit/finish comment compared to all the vehicles I drove.

Definitely look at the combined mileage in the longer term reports now rolling out on the new SUV. You will find that the Monte stays in the 17 mpg range. I get close to 20 on the freeway at legal speeds, never get below 15.

It is interesting that some of the quoted mileages on the MDX and Sequoia are substantially higher than what the owners are reporting as well as the testers. Most of the Seq owners are stating 11mpg, very upset and rightfully asking what gives? The last long term report on the MDX quoted combined mileage of 18mpg. This is only 1 mpg above the Montero yet the MDX claims 24 highway.

As far as drive ride quality you are really feeling the difference between heavy and lighter SUV's. Some people sense the weight of the vehicle and dont like it. Under even fast pased driving on or off road, mud, snow, ice, rain I have had no problems with my Montero. Under normal driving it is one of the best riding SUV's out there. Under very fast driving.....well...I get out my Acura GSR....why would I want to drive my Montero that fast?
    I assume you are not driving the Monte in 4LLC on dry pavement....that would give you tire noises.

But to answer you question, NO.
    Towing a 3500lb boat should be no problem. You wont be able to keep up with the American V8's but you should be able to tow at safe highway speeds. I plan on getting a trailer that will be just a little more weight and certainly have a frontal cross section that will catch a lot more wind. The boat should cut through the air.

We all believe the Monte is underpowered, certainly for towing, but generally bought this SUV because the scorecard is so strong in other areas. If the reliability comes in strong then in retrospect it will be one of the best if not the best 4wd/SUV made because of the features at this price.
  • pro212pro212 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks for your thoughful comments. Added to my choice dillema was that I've been using a 2000 Nissan Xterra SE 5sp for the last 10 months in my work (emergency rescue) which involves some off-road/undeveloped dirt road/and flooded road use, though also lots of highway miles. At $25,500 loaded (leather not available) the Xterra 5speed has been a very solid, rugged vehicle with excellent fit/finish, no repair problems at all and built tough. So, why did I not buy an Xterra for myself? On long highway trips (8-12 hrs day) it gets tiring, with the Xterra you feel most bumps on the road and hear some constant wind/engine noise. You know you're in a truck not a car!! Mileage is so-so at about 17-18 combined. So at first I looked at the Monte hoping for a blend of off-road ability and comfort, but the Monte didn't feel as tight or well handling as the Xterra even through the Xterra is build on a truck frame rather than the Monte unibody platform. I still don't get why this is so??? I'm used to running medium-heavy SUVs (I've owned a Trooper in the past and the Xterra is not that light) but it felt sloppy and lumbering, perhaps cause it was used rather than new.

I can tell your family member who's interested that the Santa Fe is very smooth and well handling on the road, feels incredibly stabile and well-balanced on tight corners (read last month's Truckin' mag review during SUV of year ratings; Santa Fe got the best bang for the buck award). Back to the Monte, I feel I should have been more impressed overall but sometimes the whole "Gestalt" doesn't equal the sum of the parts. "Part-wise", the Monte wins hands down over the Sante Fe (comparing similar prices with 23K for Santa Fe new and my deal of 24.5 for 2001 XLS used with 12K miles) with size, unibody construction, standard side bags, standard ABS, skid plates, ruggedness, etc. Yet for me to buy the Monte XLS, it probably had to have 1) better handling, or 2)better mileage (Santa FeLX is 19city/23 highway carrying 3752 lbs; perhaps I was mislead with the Monte figuers but the dealer himself was getting 16-17 combined)or 3)better power (than the Xterra or Sante Fe but acceleration and power across the three seems similar) or4)better anticipated or proven reliability (I guess I was turned off by dealer anecdotal stories of past and present auto transmission or brake problems).

All in all, I think if you need a true off-road vehicle, its hard to beat the Xterra SE 5 speed (5 passenger) at its price (25.5K) or for a 7 seater, the Monte XLS at its price (31K). But if you won't go "true off road" and instead go on unpaved, poor quality or slippery roads with highway and city miles, the Santa Fe's good mileage, good handling and good traction/ground clearance with modern (AWD,shiftronic and ABS/traction control) technology @$23,000 loaded is hard to beat. Its a good year for SUVs because there are so many choices out there. By the way, was the $24,500 price I got on the 2001 Monte XLS a great price or is depreciation expected to be this high?? With Monte reliability proving itself over the next year or two and I might come back to Mitsu or in any case will let you all know if my decision pans out. Best of luck and have fun in your Monteros!
  • rascalrascal Member Posts: 26
    With the massive quality problems of Hyundais over the years...I would not use a Santa Fe for a boat anchor..no offense to anyone who purchased one of these but they are a great car the first 10k miles, after that...ugh...

Rascal
    As far as your concern about reliability. The Montero is well proven in Africa and Austrailia. People feel less comfortable with it over here because it is hard to speak with owners in those countries.

In Austrailia they picked the 2001 over the Landcruiser this year. That's my personal gold standard.
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    From what I've read about towing, you need to take the ratings given by the manufacterer with a grain of salt--the maximum towing capacity is just that--and should only be used for short distances. If you are going to do ALOT of towing, you should only tow 75 percent of the maximum--about 3700 lbs. You will be cutting it close at 3500 lbs, but you should be all right. If you aren't going to do alot of towing, the Monte will be just fine. If you are going to be doing a substantial amount of towing, or there is a chance that you may be towing something heavier, you may want to consider something else.

For what it's worth, I was thinking of getting a 24 foot boat--it wasn't until I decided to hold off for 5 years (until the kids are a little older) that I decided to get the Monte, otherwise I would have gotten something with a bigger engine. I will do some lighter towing (probably gonna get a fishing boat, which I wouldn't think twice about towing with the Monte.).

With the exception of the HP issue, I absolutely love this vehicle, and don't want to steer you away from it.....
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Hi all. Been away a couple of weeks, during which time I had the chance to rent a 2001 XLS from Enterprise to tool around Florida. A few observations: (1) the driver's side mirror is distorted just like on my Ltd., so I can only assume that this is just the way the mirrors are (2) as somebody mentioned some posts back, when the truck was in 4WD mode and the wheel was all the way over, the truck had a weird motion, which I had not noticed in my Ltd.; and (3) I like my Ltd. a whole lot more than the XLS -- definitely worth the extra dough.

As for gas mileage, how the heck are you guys getting up around 20 mpg? I've got less than 700 miles on my Ltd., but I've been averaging around 11-12 mpg. Granted, that's all on Chicago streets with a lot of stop-and-go driving, and my wife isn't exactly light on the accelerator. Still, 8-9 mpg difference seems to be a lot. Did your mileage improve after the first 1000 or so miles?
  • rick130rick130 Member Posts: 6
    I've been a long time fan of the Mote, even more so now with the new '01. Always thought it would "someday" before I actually got one. Well, an accident changed all that quickly. After totaling our '94 Toyota Previa mini-van, my wife and I spent the weekend test driving mini-vans (yaawwwn). We were not at all excited about purchasing another one. With our kids almost at the ages where we could consider a more exciting 5 passenger sedan or SUB, we really didn't want to commit to 5 years with a new van, and forget about a three or more year old used one--have you smelled the inside of those things (even after detailing) after they've raised a family?

We were about to succumb to the new Nissan Quest when we decided to drive the Mote, just to get it out of systems. It was everything we were afraid it would be--solid, smooth, and secure. We decided then and there it was what we wanted. We do have some questions as to the safety of the third row in crashes. Is there any crash data that indicates the back of the Mote is any better/worse than the typical mini-van? Fortunately we wouldn't use the third row very often. We have a blended family of four kids (ages 8-14), so we don't have all four, all the time. In fact the 14 year old is beginning to want to do things on her own away from the rest of us (yeeessss!!).

Lastly, the dealer has a few program '01 XLS models with 16-22K miles for $25,900 to 27,900 (all similarly equipped with no extras). My question is with the 4.9% financing available on the new vehicles is it worth considering the used Montes at say, $24,500 vs. maybe $29,500 for the brand new one? I've seen lots of prices stated on the Limiteds here, but not much regarding the XLS. What is a reasonable price to expect to pay on a new XLS that invoices at $31,300? Any help or experiences other recent buyers can provide would be greatly appreciated.
  • claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    What octane gasoline are you using? I think most people posting mileage are using the 91-92 octane; that may make a difference. After my last tank my average is closer to 18 MPG with a 2001 full size Monte Ltd.s, mostly road miles.
    Have you been to this site on towing? It looks like a pretty objective test on Montes and other SUV's.

http://www.boatingmag.com/suvindex.html

Claybuster, so far I've used nothing but the highest grade of Mobil, which I think is 93. I have a feeling that my low gas mileage is more a function of the type of driving that we do (all in the city) and the low miles on the vehicle. Does climate make a difference in mpg? If so, then the lower temperatures in Chicago during the winter might be part of the problem. I'll find out about highway mileage later in the spring when we make the annual trek to the Upper Peninsula. I'm just hoping to get the EPA highway mpg rating (19, I think) and will be pleasantly surprised with anything more. All things considered, I'm glad that I've got a V-6 in the truck: enough torque to pull my boat, plenty of power for hauling kids around town, and probably better gas mileage than a V-8 would get.
  • mgast1mgast1 Member Posts: 2
    I lease a '99 Montero Sport Ltd. and have 8 months to go on my lease. One of the reasons I decided on the Sport was the Mistubishi factory early termination plan which they promote heavily. They say that when you have 11 months or less to go on a lease and you want to buy or lease another Mitsubishi they will let you out of the old lease early with no penalties or hidden charges. In fact I did this once before with my '95 Montero which also had about 9 months to go when I leased the '99 Sport. I simply walked away from the old lease saving the remaining payments and paying no penalties. Believe me I checked the numbers in detail and nothing from the old lease was packed into the new one. Well, they are now refusing to honor their committments and the dealer says they can't do this anymore because the factory doesn't back them up like it used to. I would like a new Montero Ltd. but am now turned off by Mitsubishi and their false promises and will get something else when this lease is over, probably either a Pathfinder, a Volvo XC or Audi Allroad Quatro. So long Mitsubishi--another example of how to lose a loyal customer. Any thoughts out there? I'd love to hear the Mitsubishi Factory B.S. on this one!
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Thanks for the post. What strikes me is that the trailer weight was 3300, and the Monte was pretty slow off the line....23 seconds to 60 mph with a 3300 lb trailer--I think the 75% (3700 lbs) rule apply. I would be concerned if I did a lot of towing about the strain on the engine over the years; that's why I won't tow anything that heavy on a frequent basis. As much as I hate to say it, IMHO if you are doing alot of towing (3500-3700 or higher), you may be better off with a larger engine....

Buy the way, how in the hell can Toyota claim a 4-runner can tow 5000lbs????
  • karno1karno1 Member Posts: 33
    FYI: Mitsu is now offering 90 days deferred payments.....which means I can now get my hands on a Monty!!! I'm aiming for the 4.9% approval. S So far I got the dealer down to a limited w/ rear air, and running boards for 34,259. Hoping to lock this deal in by next week.....wish me luck guys.
    karno1: I think $34,259 is an excellent price for a LTD w/ extras, and I'm sure the deferred payments doesn't hurt, either. Good luck!

rick130: I think the XLS qualified for the 1.9% financing, but I believe it ended on Feb. 28. Maybe you can still get it. I know the 4.9% for the LTD and Spyder ended last month as well, but some are still getting that rate, so Mits may be extending their special. You may want to check w/ your dealer or call Mits. 800 number.

The $5k you're saving by getting the used vehicle may be offset by the much higher interest rate you'd be subject to. You'll have to do the math once you find out the rates for both. Just plug it in to the Edmund's loan calculator. --JImmy
    is this rebate instead of the 4.9% interest rate or in addition too. also is the dealer advertising fees a real expense or are is it another way for adding profit. thanks
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    $34,259 is an excellent price for a LTD w/ extras. However, until you get that number on the final contract, watch out. Don't let them stick the, up to, $600 "advertising fee" or whatever they call it on top of the price. Only pay title transfer charges, tax, and licence fees (TTL) on top of the final figure.

Just got 4th oil change, turned 13,000. So far no major problems. The minor one is the squeek in the rear brakes/suspension at the end of rolling to a stop when the weather is warm/dry or when backing up. This also goes away when someone is in the back seat, but not when the cargo area is loaded? Go figure?

PHOnos, White/Silver, 2001 LTD w/rear air & climate control, August 2000, July 1999 build date, $34,500 + TTL.

(PS) About to buy 4 new Pedders springs from Austraila to give it 50cm (2") lift and (maybe) 265-75x16 BFG AT's or MT's.
  • eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    I am puzzle about the statement of Mitsubishi, not honoring a promise made concerning early turn in on lease vehicle. If it is in your leasing agreement that they will buy you out without penalties for early turn in, I would think legally they are required. If this was told to you by word of mouth, than I would not expect them to honor the buy-back program. Do you have anything on paper? If so than you have a case, this agreement is a legal binding contracts. Not a lawyer, just speculating. Good Luck.
    I'm shopping a new Monte too and my research indicates that the $750 incentive is a factory to dealer rebate and does not preclude the buyer from receiving the 4.9% financing (which is a customer incentive) too. If there were a customer rebate offered along with reduced rate financing it would be an either/or proposition. Therefore, we buyers can take advantage of both the 4.9% and, although the dealer is under no obligation to share it, use the $750 factory to dealer incentive, along with the 2% hold back, to negotiate a better deal.

I'm targeting $28,765 (Edmund's TMV minus the $750 incentive) for a base model XLS with no options. I ran a credit check on QSpace.com and I qualify for the 4.9% financing! I am sending ou faxed requests for quotes at this very moment. I have about 10 to 15 Mitsu dealers within a 50 mile radius, so I'm hoping to get a good response.
    MP19Fan, thanks for the advice. I've pretty much talked myself into the new vs. the used. You're right, the finaning costs almost make the the $5k savings negligible over the life of the loan. I also ran a check and found out I will qualify for the 4.9%. Now it's just a matter of getting my price. Anyone have an opinion as to my target price of $28,765?
    bought the silver ltd with rear a/c
    trailer hitch and hood wind deflector
    34,500 including prep and that advertising fee + tax tag title
    I may have have been able to get it for a little
    less but theres always the but. dealership offers every other oil change free so I figure it will add up.
    one thing-
    got to love the monty
  • 1strongcloser1strongcloser Member Posts: 1
    To add to eagle30's comments, my family owns a Mitsubishi dealership, and I know for a fact that the early lease termination program is still in effect. In fact, Mitsu is sponsoring a program right now to encourage existing owners to trade early on newer models. Depending on the individual and existing lease, Mitsu gives up to $4700 in rebates towards the new purchase/lease. This is to offset any negative equity (which usually equals the rebate). At the 12-month mark, Mitsu sends you a letter indicating that you are qualified/pre-approved for early termination, and in this letter, they disclose the rebate amount. Again, I've seen some get $0 and some get as much as $4700. It depends on each individual lease. My '98 Montero Sport lease reaches the 12-month mark this month, and I've already received the letter. If you want more info, call Mitsubishi Motor Credit of America.
  • upsscupssc Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone, for several months I've been reading the posting on this message board and all the information has been a tremendous HELP. However, I wanted to know if there are any ladies out there driving the full-size Monty LTD. If so, how do you like it for everyday driving? I'm a 5'3" young lady with no children, but we plan to start a family soon. I keep my cars for a long time, so I wanted to get something bigger than just a car that seats 5 people. I will be going from a Honda Civic to the Monty and I probably won't take it off the road. I'm in love with this SUV, but I'm not sure yet if I would like driving it everyday. None of the rental companies have the limited for rental, only the sport. I'm thankful for any advice.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Honestly, I'm always hesitant to recommend any SUV to people who are Not used to driving trucks. Particularly if they really don't need an SUV.

I know the stigma people have with MiniVans (me included) and their preferences for SUV styling but I recommend you think long and hard in your choice. FWIW, there are some absolutely fabulous new Wagons on the market now. For similar and even less money, you could go with a BMW 325 Wagon or a Saab 9-5 Wagon and they are both beautiful rides. If I didn't need the larger cargo area for work stuff, I'd seriously consider that route myself. The BMW can be had with all-wheel drive and the Saab is GREAT in snow - I have the sedan version. But if your comfortable and feel confident driving a truck, the Monte is certainly a great choice.

Best of Luck.
    Drew
    I would tend to agree with dski, if I didn't need the cargo capacity of the full size Monty, I definitely would consider one of the newer wagons offered by Audi, BMW, etc. The full size Monty handles very differently from typical cars, and the differences will probably be more apparent coming from a Civic. Plus, gas mileage will be an issue. I had two Jeep Grand Cherokees, and in the Monty you do need to pay a bit more attention, even though it handles quite nicely for its size. If you do decide on a 4WD SUV w/ a good compromise between size/power/gas mileage (better than my I-6 JGC)/price, the Monty is hard to beat. Hope this helps. --Jimmy
  • rhodes3rhodes3 Member Posts: 7
    If you score under the 700 target, I think it depends how far under as to how much higher your rate ends up being. I scored slightly below the 700 required to qualify for the 4.9% and as a result, signed the papers for a 7.25, which is slightly better than I would've gotten from my bank. A few days after I picked up the Monty, the dealer calls me back and says they need me to come in and resign because when they sent the paper work through, Mitsubishi Motors came back with a 5.4%, saving me about 2.5 grand over the life of the loan. I couldn't understand why they would offer me a lower rate when they already had me signed at higher. But you don't question those sort of things in life, right? I just took it and ran before they came to their senses.
    thought I had a deal with a signed buyers agreement but the dealer said with the additional installation service charges for the trailer hitch ($700 and change)they were in the red and couldn't put the deal through. Said since I did not take delivery on the Montero they were not liable to complete the deal. Sounds fishy,any advise?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A call to the Consumer Protection Division of your local State Attorney General's office would be one place to start.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Sounds like you are confronting the same issue that my wife and I did several months ago. We have three small kids, ages 6, 4, and 17 months. We had two Volvo 850 wagons, which we liked, but which we had outgrown. My wife would not even consider a minivan -- too "soccer mom-ish" for her (which is interesting because our kids play soccer and she is a mom). We looked at all the wagons -- Audi Avant, Subaru, Volvo XC, etc. -- and they were just too small. My wife (also 5' 3") also was not enthusiastic about SUV's because of the size and because we live in Chicago (city, not 'burbs), with many narrow, one-way streets, lots of parallel parking, and small parking garages. Finally, I talked her into buying the Monte and she has loved it, with absolutely no problem driving it. It can seat 5 kids (good for car-pooling), has tethers for child seats, and can accommodate the new standard child seat anchors. I love it because I can tow my boat, drive it through much worse terrain that I could take my Volvos on, and haul lots of stuff. Quite frankly, it's just a great vehicle. The other posts are right-on, though, that this is a truck and drives much differently than a car, and you will not get even close to the gas mileage that you would with a car. You ought to rent one for a few days (I think that Enterprise might have some Limiteds to rent) and see what you think. If it's not right for you, and you are absolutely opposed to a mini-van, then try something a bit tamer, like an MDX or a Rendezvous. But, if you don't have any kids yet, you might not need as much room as we do now; our Volvo wagons were just fine for us and 2 kids. What you choose probably also depends on how long you plan to own the vehicle. No use buying more vehicle than you will likely use in the next five or six years or however long you plan to keep it. Good luck.
  • karno1karno1 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the tip!

I'm on my way tomorrow morning to tie up a deal. I hope all goes well.....my situation is a bit tedious w/ the 4.9%, my credit rating, and the trade in I have. Keep yr fingers crossed for me guys. will let you know how it goes when I get back.

As for sgbassin: fight em till the end. That definitely does sound fishy, don't let them pull a fast one on you. Tell them you have it in writing!!!!! and that you'll know someone/will complain to the BBB, which will only give them a bad rep/rating!!!!!

Just for that,you should get them to throw something else in for free!!!
    They are full of you know what if they said that they'd be in the red because of the installation of the tow receiver. It should take no more than one mechanic an hour or so to install, and even at the outrageous hourly rates dealers charge, it shouldn't cost them more than 50 bucks or so. $34,500 is a very good price, but they are still making money on the holdback, and if what I've read is correct, there is also a $750 factory to dealer incentive that they're making.

Also, I read the fine print on the invoices they showed me. Get this: "This invoice may not reflect the ultimate cost of the vehicle because of the possibility of...return to dealer of advertising association fee by the distributor." That's anywhere from $700-$900! They wouldn't tell me one way or another whether or not they actully get this back. The ad fees were different in two places where they showed me the invoice. I was told that the distributor charges ad fees based on how large inventory is. More cars means less per car. So maybe it's wise after all to check out the largest dealer in your area.

I got mine 2 weeks ago for $35,000 with about $1600 worth of dealer goodies included + t/l, so your dealer should be able to honor your agreement. Sorry to hear you're having such difficulties. --Jimmy
    That's hard to believe the dealer reneged with the whole market so soft now. I would not want to do business with that kind of two faced dealer. Please publish the dealer and sales manager's name, we might all like to send him a little love note! Good luck!

I bought my 2001 Monte Ltd.s in Feb. for $34,000. + T/Lic @ 4.9% rate, w/rear air, factory hitch and front bug deflector.

Place to buy Mitsubishi Genuine parts.

http://www.mitsubishi-accessories.com/index. asp

Montero Trailer Hitch

Class 3

Easy installation

In stock

Sale Price $300.33

2001-2001 Montero All

No shipping charge for present

Terms of Use Privacy Security

Montero Trailer Hitch

Class 3

Easy installation

In stock

Sale Price $300.33

2001-2001 Montero All

Terms of Use Privacy Security

In trying to negotiate for a new Monty, I bring my package of data (as suggested by Jeff at carbuyingtips.com) to support my offer of actual dealer cost plus 5%. When I show the dealer the breakdown of costs (the invoice price minus $627 holdback and $627 floorplan assistance, minus the $750 factory to dealer incentive) they deny that there is a factory incentive offer on the full size Monty, they say it is on the Sport only. When I show them the Edmunds print out for the incentive (West region, CA and HI only) they say "those websites are frequently wrong, you can't trust the information." They take particular delight in pointing out that Edmunds lists the XLS as two-wheel drive on the incentive report, even though it shows the same $750 incentive for the Ltd on the next line. "See there," they say, "this is on the 2WD Montero" (which Mitsu doesn't even make). My question to any of you is, is there another source that I can use to substantiate the incentive? I think, since I'm only $650 off my target, it could close the deal. Thanks in advance.
    Perhaps you are going about this in an overly complex way. I would pick a price with the options you want and present it to the dealer. Kind of a take it or leave it. Dont let them add any advertisement on top of this. Most of us did not pay this fee.

I was able to get a LTD Montero with rear air for
    34,700 in the early days. Now I would not pay more than 34,500 and would probably try for an accessory.

Look up a couple of posts, some of the people here have done very well.

Stick to your guns. IF your anywhere near OR I know where you can get the deal above with no hassle.

I would pay the difference to go from the XLS to the LTD. Rear air nice and tranny much better from what I hear.
    Thanks, I wish I could upgrade to the Ltd, however, I'm stretching my limit in getting the XLS even. The payments on a Ltd would $100/month more.

The dealers are showing the $819 advertising fee on the factory invoice as a direct charge to the dealer. I've factored it into my offer by agreeing to pay it, if they will step up and admit that there is an incentive to offset it. No dealer will. I'm in Southern CA and there are approx. 15 Mitsu dealers in a 60 mile radius. The best price I have found to-date is the no-haggle internet price through the Autobytel certifed dealer in Costa Mesa ($29,950 for the base XLS). Maybe I'm too hard headed, but if the Autobytel price is the lowest, I've got to think I can negotiate a better deal with other dealers.
    I think my brother listened to the guys in CA too and they tried to pull the ad cost on him. I would recommend you consider shopping in Southern OR and have the Montero trucked down for $200.00. you might save the extra $600.00 not to mention you might get a better price.

A dealer in CA tried to hit me with 900.00 in ad cost and I did not pay this in Oregon. I think when I calculated my price based on Edmunds invoice I paid 4% over invoice total, out the door. No tax up here. I thought this was reasonable. I would go up to 5% over invoice but I would negotiate hard for 3% over in this current economy. They are going to be hurting real soon with the stock market dropping so much.
    Try Puente Hills Mitsubishi. As I've mentioned before, they have about 20-30 Montys, both XLS and LTD. Ask for Omar at (626) 964-5111 and tell him Jimmy referred you. I purchased a silver LTD about 3 weeks from him. He was the first I went to, and after about 2 weeks searching both the internet and other dealerships, his offer was still the best.

Give him a price you are willing to pay that includes dest. ($520) and ad fees (approx $750). He should come pretty close. It doesn't hurt to visit the lot as well to see their selection. --Jimmy

2001 Montero LTD- running boards, rear spoiler, sunroof wind deflector...$35,000
    How does out of state purchase impact registration in CA (i.e., DMV fees)? Is there a penalty for bringing a vehicle in? I assume OR smog reqmts are comp to CA, correct? If so, saving $2,200 in sales tax alone would justify the tramsportation costs. Interesting angle. Do you know if the cost from So OR to So CA is in fact about $200? Thanks.
    Dont try to avoid tax, CA will easily catch you unless you have something like 7500miles on the car it is considered new and CA will tax you.

You can legally buy in OR and pay CA "use tax" I think it is called but check with your DMV for sure. The bottom line is you wont be able to avoid taxes. (Why do you think everyone is moving up here from CA? Its not just the big steelhead in the rivers).

I bought my car in CA and had it trucked to OR at a time when there was only 4 on the west coast. I bought it through the dealer in OR but I could have bought it in CA and had it sent up. It cost me $200 extra but it was worth it.

If the CA salespeople are trying to hit you with near MSRP pricing, limited colors, ad fees then buying in OR could easily make up for the little bit of expense in trucking it down but I would discuss the tax implications with your DMV first.

Southern OR Mitsubishi 541-245-2001 Ask for 3% over invoice, no ad fee and see what they say. I cant remember my sales managers name but there are only two of them I would go straight to them and as, skip the floor person.

Oh ya, as far as I know these Monteros are 50 state legal meaning no special changes when you bring to CA but you could easily find this out for sure.
    After about 10 calls to the dealer and 3 to their coorporate office the general manager called and told me to pick up the truck. Like you people said I stuck to my original deal. When that survey comes around they'll really hear it from me.Coconut Creek Mits.in South. Fl.is the dealership.All in all the truck is great and glad everything worked out. Thanks for your support