Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• amers2amers2 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 all black Monte Ltd. with a manik brush guard and tail light cages. I would rather have a Jaos brush guard, but it's too expensive. Jaos has some nice modifications for the new Monte. You can check them out at http://www.jaosusa.com

By the way, I drove the Montero through the snowstorm in Buffalo when we got 25 inches in a matter of hours, and it didnt get stuck once unlike all the other SUV's. This truck is sweet.
  • ken131ken131 Member Posts: 20
    No, the A/C compressor stays on indefinitely unless it is manually turned off. What is the reason for this? Is the compressor really on when I am just heating up the car? (the green light is on, so I assume that it is). Any more info on why this compressor turns on (and stays on) ALL the time when using climate control (even to heat the car) would be helpful.
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Just because the green light is "on" doesn't mean the A/C compressor is engaged and running. The green light just indicates the clutch on the compressor will be engaged if the climate control system needs it to control the temperature setpoint, or if it needs it to reduce moisture in the cabin air. If you manually turn it off, you have just defeated one of the options the climate control has to "control climate" This is OK if your main purpose is to save on fuel, and not control temperature/hudmidty in the vehicle.
  • claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for all the posts on brush guards! The S.S. Jaos brush guards were the ones that I liked. The price is a little high (about$1,200.+ tax & shipping), which is surprising with the almost 2 to 1 exchange rate for Australia.
    Thanks for all the posts on brush guards! The S.S. Jaos brush guards were the ones that I liked. Will check price at the WA. distributor; I have a bad feeling they are going to be real expensive.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    The Jaos SS were my first chioce as well. Why the high price?

The Waag look OK but I dont see them in chrome/ss and with a beige montero I dont think black would look good.

Check out those Jaos skid plates, would like those as well.
  • karno1karno1 Member Posts: 33
    now that I have finally bought my Monty, its time to go over the things I really dislike about this truck. I don't like the idea that they decided to go w/ a retractable antenna......there shouldn't even be an antenna. It should be embedded into the rear window like most other cars are doing these days. I don't like the small, toy like rear view mirror......I thought it'd at least have a automatic dimming feature on it. even the motnero sport has a better rear view mirror in it. no memory seats, and no powered passenger seat. sound system could use a bit more oomph! tachometer is on the wrong side. there isn't one piece of metal incorporated into the interior design of this truck!

other than all of that, I have been loving every single minute of my truck, rides like a true dream....very nice and high up, huge sunroof, the biggest i've ever seen on a vehicle, enough power for its size, and awesome seats!
    Karno1,
    You forgot to mention no remote control of the radio, even Durangos have that. I agree no powered passenger seat was also a cheap shot for cost saving. Just think, they will fix all those things and a V-8 in the next couple of years, but who wants to wait?
    If we are going to get picky....they should have made the rear windows electric like in this years LC. I would like to push a button up front to open them.

I think there is a "diversity antenna" in the window. I dont know if the window technology is as good as a regular antenna. Why they have two in the Montero is something for the antenna experts.
  • ehollisehollis Member Posts: 14
    Here's what a diversity antenna does Basically, the antennas work by selecting
    the best-quality FM signal from the available antennas or by
    phasing and combining multiple signals. This gives improved fringe area FM reception.

Amen on the power passenger seat. Just think, it's a leather seat, with a heating element and an air bag. Would it have killed them to put a motor in it? My wife "loves" this feature. Even the car we got rid of (1885 Nissan Maxima - R.I.P.) had a power passenger seat.

Here's the other thing I hate. Where do you put the rear "shade" (the thing you use to cover up what you've got in the back) when you have the third seat up? (I don't have kids, but I haul a lot of them, and I'm always putting the third seat up and down.)
  • sd_montysd_monty Member Posts: 5
    I've been keeping mine in the garage. Even without using the third row seat, the shade thing is in the way. My kids like to recline the seats in the middle row sometimes and the shade won't allow it when it is in position. When it is not being used, it is too big and clumsy for the rear cargo area.

Speaking of the rear cargo area, does anyone use a pet barrier to keep a dog in the back? Any recommendations?
  • ehollisehollis Member Posts: 14
    Dear Brillmtb,
    I noticed back on your post 494 that you mentioned the motor trend show. Did anyone happen to tape that show? I'm putting together a video tape of commercials, clips etc. on the Montero. (I know, it sounds weird, but that's the way I am.) If anyone has the tape, I'd like to make a copy. I'll send back your tape, and provide a copy of the one I'm putting together. Any other video of the 2001 montero also welcome.
    Here is the address of a website that includes a bulletin board for Montero owners who are or would like to find out more about of-roading with their Montero.

Actually this group doesn't have a lot of information on 2001 model yet, so any input you might have, experiences, etc. would be appreciated.

Don't be intimidated by the depth of the topics discussed.

These folk are real friendly, and eager for new information. A few are really hard core rock crawlers, but most are only easy-moderate trail off-roaders.

For some reason, I can't post the complete address "You cannot post any words with more than 100 character". (?)

http://www.outdoorwire.com/

• lj3dlj3d Member Posts: 6
    I am new to this message board, but have been reading all the messages posted here over the last three months. I must thank each one of you for sharing information on this message board for people like me who are considering buying a mid-size SUB such as the Montero.

I am excited about purchasing a Montero in the next a few months. Judging from my own experience, I don't feel there is a significant quality issues with Mitsubishi cars. I have had the first generations of Gallant and Eclipse, and both of them had done well past 200,000 miles before I traded them in.

I am looking to some of your advice in the next a couple of months while I am shopping for a Montero. Has anyone had any experience with any Mitsubishi dealers in the Washington DC Metro Area. I have just moved to DC from Florida where I had very good services from Mitsubishi in Miami/For Lauderdale area.

I will be renting a Montero in Arizona next week, and can't wait the test the vehicle, and share my experience with all of you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Town Hall, lj3d.

phonos, long urls in messages skews our margins, so that's why the 100 character limit is imposed. Apologies for the hassle. (Besides, trying to steer out members away from Town Hall isn't really encouraged around here, you know )

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    After a month with it, I have decided to make a small list of goods and bads about my Montero LTD. Hope this helps anyone who is considering one.

Things I wish were better on the Montero: memory seats/power passenger seat, telescoping steering wheel (I seem to be too far from the wheel when I get it right for my legs), avg. mpg (not just miles remaining), nav. where the display screen is, 17" wheels, with the rear shade in place, rear passengers can't recline (silly), split rear door instead of one huge one, auto locking when the car is in motion, distorted driver's side mirror (replaced once already).

Things I LOVE about it: PRICE for it's class, good looks (get tons of compliments), relative exclusivity (still not too many around), decent power for the size, 3rd row seating (and ease of use), cargo space, perfect size for me, excellent off-road capabilities from what I read and hear (haven't tested yet, but hope to soon), build quality, better gas mileage than I expected, and did I mention PRICE?

After all that do you think I would buy it again? YOU BET! Despite some minor (very minor) criticism, I still think it's the best car for my needs (price, size, build quality/reliability). And who knows, maybe if Mits added some of the features I would like, it just may price it out of my range. --Jimmy
    Well put. Would agree with most of your comments on the good and bad.

I too would by the Montero again. After seeing the best others have to offer including the MDX and Sequoia there is just no beating the Monte.

ehollis: you could probably call the show and obtain a tape. I dont think it would be too much. I would be interested in seeing your final production!
  • photo3photo3 Member Posts: 26
    mp19fan: By the way, what do you get for your gas mileage?..and what is with that distorted driver's side mirror? I noticed that too when I took another test drive. It seemed to be worse with that particular car or my new glasses prescription. The dealer also said that he had heard complaints about it. He said it's because the mirror is made of plastic instead of glass...that doesn't sound too good.
    What does anyone else think?
    I haven't bought mine yet but plan to soon.
    By the way..does anyone know where to get information about the changes for 2002? I read somewhere that it is coming out in the summer.
    So far I'm getting about 16-17 in mixed driving, which is better than with my JGC I-6. The service mgr. didn't mention to me that the mirrors are plastic, although I'm not sure that would be the cause. I wonder if they're any different than most other cars. I'm thinking it may be a design element (a poorly designed one, though) to give the driver a wider FOV.

One drawback to the new Montero is the way the running boards screw in to the body. I was told by the svc. mgr. that prior models had bolts coming out of the body. Newer Monteros have the body threaded, with bolts going in to the body. Mine had to be tightened, but the svc. guys were unwilling to tighten too much for fear of stripping the threads. Question: what would be my options if they 1) cannot tighten it enough to get rid of the looseness in the boards, or 2) they stripped the threads going in to the body? Thanks. --Jimmy
    I would think they would have a service spec sheet indicating the torque to use on those bolts.
    <<I would think they would have a service spec sheet indicating the torque to use on those bolts.>>

You'd think they should...
    when I went to pick up the Montero, it was not much better. They said they were reluctant to torque it much more, afriad it will strip. I said this was unacceptable, period. They said, they'll see what they can do about it. A couple of turns later, it was much better. Nearly no play at all. Now if it loosens again...grrr. --Jimmy
    Perhaps if it loosens again they could add lock tight to the bolts?

I am considering side steps so I am interested in this issue.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    I install the side step the week I bought my Limited. I think I striped one of the screw on one side too. But I have not experience any looseness, and it has been over a year now. The bolts came with side step kit has lock washers, and some of the bolts are self locking. The problem with the threads strip is because of the underbody coating prevents the correct "start" for the bolt. The side step make the truck looks even better. Just don't get the after market one. They reduces the ground clearance. The one from Misubishi is nicely tucked.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    I have the Aluminum Tread Side steps from Mitsu. Fortunately, I have not had trouble with them becoming loose. However, there are a couple of things to consider if you want these.

First, I got them to help the kid's get in and out of the truck. They're fine for getting in but the step area under the rear doors is soo small that they are easy to miss when exiting. Also, it makes it very easy for your foot to slip off the step. In otherwords they are not very helpful for exiting the truck.

Second, mine are the type that has all the holes on the tread surface. Problem with that is that sand and gravel builds up when driving in the rain. All the water from the road surface comes up from under the truck through those holes. Good new's is that the dirt build up sprays off the aluminum surface very easily.

That said, I'd still put them on since I have young kids. Without kid's they are more of a hindrance for entering and exiting the truck as are most side step designs.

Good Luck
    Drew
    OK, I have the beige (solid) color. Should I go with the tubular or flatter side step and what colors would be best. I have a feeling that chrome might look the best.

It sounds like you all feel Mitsu's product is the one to go with. Why not aftermarket. Who makes the steps for Mitsu?

Thanks

Steve
    Auto Weekly reports at 11,500 miles that they have had absolutely no problems with the Montero LTD.
    My 2001 Monte has an idle speed of 1500 RPM in N when cold. This seems too high for a cold engine just getting the oil circulating. I am a little concerned with engine wear, during the critical start-up time. This might be a good reason for synthetic oil. Any comments?

I just read that the 2001 Monte engine mounts are liquid-filled; this is to reduce vibration and noise. Interesting!

Last 300 miles averaged 18 mpg with general driving to work and short trips.
    I am no mechanic but my understanding and from watching oil pressure gauges is that the critical time is shorter than you think. It is the initial start-up, within 30seconds, as the oil pump sucks up oil and generates enough pressure to distribute it to the engine. After that there should be no significant wear.

I dont think synthetic comes up to pressure faster (although thats what I use in all my cars) but there may be products that leave a better protective coat on the surfaces that minimize start up friction. I dont know if synthetic does this either.

Glad to hear you are getting 18 mpg combined becasue I do mostly city and getting 17. On the highway I have had up to 20mpg when driving slow and steady. It is interesting that some of the long term reports are down in the 15mpg combined. Perhaps they are 4wd more to see how the vehicle is standing up?
  • beazlebeazle Member Posts: 11
    Well, the coin has been flipped. After driving the Volvo XC, I decided on the Montero LTD. The Volvo XC was roomy enough for my bulk, but I would need to lose some weight to use the seat belt without an extension. I felt like I was flying coach class in Cattlecar Airlines! I still do like the Volvo XC, and may get one someday when it grows up, or I shrink!

That being said, my Montero and I are bonding nicely so far (only two days old). Not much competition in our area (2 dealers), but was able to get very close to TMV. Trade value and aftermarket accessories muddy the waters, so I won't bore you with figures, but between two dealers, they were about $1,800 apart. It pays to shop! Looking forward to a good Monty experience!
    Beazle, welcome to "Monty Land"! I have only 1400 miles on my 2001 Monte Ltd.s, but really loving the experience so far. Some features of the new Monty I really appreciate are the quiet/smooth running engine, smooth shifting transmission and big sun roof. Also, it's really nice not being another "Durango" on the road. In the last three weeks of driving I have only seen one other 2001 Monte Ltd.s on the road in NE Washington. You think will find this board very helpful. Did you get any accessories with you rig?
    I just got done adding all of the accessories to my Monty within the last week. So far, I've added the manick grill gaurds for both the front and back, and just got an over head LCD 6.4" screen installed into the cieling of the roof right behind the sunroof opening, along w/ a nice small dvd player hooked up under the last 3rd row seat. I was a bit sketchy at first, wasn't sure if the screen would look good up on the cieling, being that the sunroof opens so far back, thus making the screen too close to eye level. Long and behold, it turned out being A-OK.....just perfect, the screen opens farther back, and thanks to another good feature of this Monty, you can recline the back seats a bit to enjoy the visibility of the screen. Almost all set here, just waiting on my after market zenon head light bulbs to be installed. Will make for a much better package once I'm all done....
  • shakti4ushakti4u Member Posts: 4
    Raj could you post the details of the tv install. Manufacturer, cost, installation charges etc. You could also email me at [email protected]
    Could you please post after you have them installed? I'm considering upgrading as well but would like some input. Ease of install, brightness when compared to OE, etc. Thanks. --Jimmy
  • carmoniousmonkcarmoniousmonk Member Posts: 1
    i read in one of your posts that you got a deal of 34,500 for a ltd with rear air, trailer hitch, hood wind deflector, dealer prep, ad fee, and tt&l. my question is did that price include tax title and license? because i got an offer of invoice + $500. and the invoice from the website said 33,600 for a ltd with rear air. so plus 500 would be 34,100. so im wondering if 34,000 is doable for ltd with rear air and tt&l. i mean considering also that you had a couple of extras. and if anyone else has suggestions, feel free. thanks.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    >>No arguments here but what do you know about synthetic use. <<

I don't know enough to make an arguement for or against which is why I held back going any further in my last post. I can only document the Fuel Requirment facts.

Here's all I can say:

1)My service manager claims that there are in fact some engine designs that can be damged from the use of Syns and the 3.5 mitsu is aparantly one of them. Personally.. I have NO clue.

2)I had two Audis in years past that were purchased used. I switched one to Mobile 1 in the first and the second already used it.. both experienced dramatic oil. The first one was after making the switch. Both were higher mileage vehicles. No proof that synthetic had anything to do with it.

3)I believe Syns are Great for those people and engines that can benefit from them. However, from all my research on the issue, I find that Few People really need them or will find a noticible increase in engine life from them. I have no doubt that High Reving engines in Exotics and some Not so Exotics like a Honda S2000 will benefit greatly from this superior oil type.

Just my opinion from researching and experiences. If I wanted to use it, I would have asked my Service Manager to give me documentation on his claim for the Mitsu engine. ;)

Drew
  • sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    tax title and lic. were extra but I received a $26
    and change back for the Lic.
    Your deal is extremely doable and you may even do a little better if you have the staying power.
    I like the Monte more each day I drive it. The moon roof is huge.
    from what I have read from previous posts the AD charge seems to vary from dealer to dealer so it may be something you want to check
    Got to love the Monte -- Good Luck
  • beazlebeazle Member Posts: 11
    My accessories were relatively mundane (a trailer hitch and cargo mat(Mitsubishi) and 6-cd changer (Pioneer aftermarket, not in-dash. Mounted the changer on the driver's side rear wheel well. With the folding portion of the second seat back, the seat will still recline and clear it. The third seat has been removed, and will remain so until I sell the vehicle. (I like the storage space!)
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Steve, there have been a number of posts on the side steps. I put the black Mitsu tubular side steps on my black and beige Limited. On the advice of my dealer, I decided on the tubular side steps rather than the running boards for the same reasons noted by Drew in his message on side steps. Others on this board seem to prefer aftermarket steps. Mine have worked out well so far and look good.

Karno1, I, too, am very interested in your video set-up. I had just assumed that the monstrous size of the sunroof made an overhead screen installation impossible. But if it can be done, I'd definitely like to do it. I'm curious whether you considered an in-dash DVD installation (like where Mitsu puts the CD changer) or whether you know if it can be done.
  • erubrighterubright Member Posts: 4
    Hi all! I am seriously considering purchasing a Monte Limited. In my area of the US (NE Washington State) there is only 1 Mitsubishi dealer. The dealer has the Monte Limited stickered at $38k!!! The current Edmunds TMV is $33,874. This seems like a long way for the dealer to come down!

Can anyone post purchasing experiences in this section of the US? How about fightingchance.com method?

Also, I have been considering leasing through Mitsubishi. Is it true that lease payments on a 36 month contract financing around 30K should be in the mid $400's? Pro's or con's with the Mitsubishi lease?

Thanks in advance. This is by far the best SUV we have tested!(About 6 of them)
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    If you get quotes from more urban areas they are usually more competetive due to the larger number of dealers. Remember Edmunds TMV is a guide only. You need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples as far as options go in order to be able to get the best price.

And, if the local dealer won't come through for you, travel.
    erubright, you are not that far off from nj, where there are alot of dealers....why not come on up here for a nice deal on a Monty. You can get a ltd w/ rear air for 34,259 at Rahway Mitsu.

As for the TV, I was told by many that this would be undo-able to place the drop down 7 inch screen behind the sunroof, for it is way too huge!!! I thought about it, and decided to go with it. The good thing about this truck is that the 2nd row seats can recline 2-3 notches back, which helps makes this screen viewable. It works well...even when sitting upright. I made them put the screen as close to the sunroof as possible. Also got the dvd player installed under the 3rd row seat. The brand was by Accel & Apex, and the pkg cost was $699 for the parts, and $360 for labor, totaling $1059 plus tax = came out to about $1123. I got it done at 6th Avenue Electronics....which is a big chain store out here in NJ. What amazed me was that they installed it right way on the day I brought the it!!

Putting the in dash dvd would be too low to view, plus it is illegal to watch tv while driving. It's mainly for the rear passengers. Plus the in dashes are much more expensive than what I paid. Feels like sitting in an airplane.......lol.
    Took the Monte in for 15,000 mile service last night. The service writer checked his computer and said there were no recalls on it. Didn't someone mention something about the power steering pump being too small and there was a redesigned larger one being shipped?

I love the Monte. Not one real problem since August. (Other than the annoying intermittent squeak from the rear end when coming to the end of a rolling stop or when applying the brakes when backing up down a slight slope. The service writer said he thinks it is "glaze" on the pads and/or rotor due to dust. "Some vehicles just do it more than others." Why is I always end up with those vehicles?).

PHOnos, 2001 Montero Ltd, rear A/C, purchased Augusty 2000, build date July 1999, $34,500 (no extras, darn!)+ TTL, 4.9% for 48 months, Orange County, CA.
    Look @ the previous posts (way back), but you should be able to get into a 2001 Monte Ltd with rear air for $34,000 (or a little less) + tax & Lic. What worked for me was to test drive the unit several times and have them make their best offer (better with out trade-in)and run a credit check to make sure you qualify for the low interest and to let them know they have a "live one" (they hate to waste time). If they don't come through with $34K, which they won't the 1st few times, tell them to give you a call when they have a sales promotional or factory cash incentive. Then start e-mail shopping in Seattle area, lots of Mitsi dealers over there. The NE WA dealer will match any deal you can find. It may take a few weeks, but they will give you a call if you are not in too big of hurry. Expect to walk at least a couple of times.

Good luck!
    Re: Power steering pump. I think the post (not mine)mentioned the reservoir too small and caused squealing noise when maximum fluid required in hard turns. I also checked and my dealer did not have a recall or any information on this.

My Mitsi service rep. finally got back and told me the 2001 Monte engine is designed to use 92 octane, I not sure I am getting official information. Not all stations even offer 92 octane, as we are @ 2,000 ft. elevation. Try getting 92 octane in many places in Montana, good luck! Anybody getting different octane requirement for the 2001 Monte's,(or as related to elevation)?
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    Karno1,

Thanks for the equipment names. I was able to google the Apex DVD and it's the MD-100 which can be had for <$300 at Best Buy. However I had less luck with the Accel. Can you give me anything more to go on, such as a part number or model name? Most likely it is a rebadge of some other LCD but I'd like to make sure. I'm planning some handmade dual-dvd+videogame+4 LCD setup and a big/good/low-cost LCD screen is the missing ingrediant. I'm also looking to install in/behind headrests for a little more comfort.

cheers
    mine was a package deal. The screen is made by accel. I will have to look up the model number for ya. You can use about any brand name screen w/ that dvd player. I personally liked the Accel the best, for it was the cheapest, and more clearer than some other brands. I was going to put lcds in the head rests, but not a good idea for me. If ever my truck were to be broken into, they can easily steal the head rests along w/ the lcd's, for it is very easy to pull off of the seat. You are gonna pay a whole lot more for labor work too to get that installed. The accel is pretty big, a total of 7 inches diagonally. I feel sorry for the front passenger, therefore i'm considering to incorporate a small screen into the front sun visor. But will do that at a later time.
    Fog Light Question?
    I love the fog lights for lighting the side of the road for normal driving, but as soon as you switch to high beams the fog lights go off as designed (I know you don't use high beams in the fog). Any body found a simple way to defeat this automatic, not required or wanted feature. The high beams don't light the side of the road very good for deer and other criters crossing the road at night.

MPG: averaged 17.9 mpg for last 900 miles with 92 octane gasoline and general short trip driving.

Still loving this truck!
  • ken131ken131 Member Posts: 20
    When do I get the first service of the Montero? The book says 7500 is first oil change, but isn't this too long to wait? someone else told me 3000. What is the correct answer?
  • sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    Can someone tell me what the dealer charged them to put on their tubular running boards and can it be a do it yourself job
    thanks
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    ken131,

My dealer recommended an initial oil change at 1,000 miles. I don't know if that's a Mitsu factory recommendation or just my dealer trying to make more $$ off me. At about 1200 miles I had a complete oil and filter change (not performed at the dealership) and had my Monte filled with Mobil 1. I probably won't put more than 12,000 miles on the truck each year anyway, and so will change both filter and oil every 3,000 miles.