Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Does the Sequoia call for regular or premium. Also, glad to hear you are getting >17, many folks on the Sequoia site are getting in the 13mpg range and mad that the computer is wrong.

As far as the MDX. I think it is "rated" at 23 mpg highway and requires premium per the dealer in my area due its "high performance" (compression is what I think he means). On the weekly auto show on TV they were getting 19.something I remember on highway. I remember this because I was very in tune to the good mileage claims the MDX has and this real world test didnt jive with what I knew was on the sticker.

Anyway, I dont want a 4wd minivan. Dont take that wrong but the MDX just is not in the same class as either the Montero or Sequoia. You cant do any half serious off road 4wding in it.
  • xtski93xtski93 Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up new 2001 Ltd with Climate Control/Rear Air for $33,666. Also, Dealer gave me $4000 for my '92 Monte that we bought new. Great truck always dependable only major expense was change timing belt, brake pads and tires. '92 Monte still has original Stainless exhaust and AC blows cold (no recharge)! Love the new Monte and it's smooth shifting. Actually found my old truck on eBay yesterday from the wholesaler, I'm thinking about buying it back!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=588884456

How much have you paid for the rear spoiler installed. I got price of $350.

• toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    Brill,

The recommended gas for the SEQ is regular grade and that's what I use all the time. I also don't have gas brand loyalty.

My observation from my vehicle, as well as from other postings, is that the highway mileage is usually decent (relative to what the manufacturers claim) for most vehicles. The big difference is really on what we generally call "city driving", which is very variable because we really don't have a standard of how many stops and gos (sp?). I imagine that my SEQ would not do much better than 12 mpg if I were to stop at each city block. So I judge it based on highway miles at specific speed. That's why I was not suprised about your posting of about 20 mpg for the Monty.

I also agree with you that the MDX is essentially a minivan (IMO).
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Recently bought a Thule Rak-n-lok--what a wonderful contraption! Got the 2 bike extension (holds 4 bikes total) for $315.00 (got it from our local bike dealer--probably could have got it cheaper somewhere else, but I kinda want to support the local bike shop.). The nice thing about it is that the bike rack locks to the hitch with a kryptonite type lock, and the bikes lock seperately to the bike rack with a kryptonite lock (same key for both locks.). It tilts down, making it easy to unload. I would strongly recommend it if anyone is looking for a hitch type bike rack.

The main reason I am writing this however, is to warn everyone thinking of purchasing a bike rack not to make the mistake I did. I had an episode of brain flatulence and forgot about the spare tire--when I initially bought the rack, it barely fit, but there was not enough room to get bikes on...bummer. I went back and got the proper base for the rack--bike shop was great--no hassle changing to the proper base. (total difference in cost from the regular base is a measley six bucks.). Just a reminder for any of you out there who may be as dumb as me, if you get the Thule rack, make sure to get the extended base.
  • beazlebeazle Member Posts: 11
    " #93 of 105 Mitsubishi lost its import license in China because of its SUV saftey problem by peterisme Mar 24, 2001 (09:22 pm)
    When people talk about Mitsubishi’s new Pajero, they need to think it over about the following news I got from a Chinese news website (http://www.muzi.com):

This Feb. China cancelled Mitsubishi’s import license to this country. Mitsubishi has the largest share of China's SUV market. Its Pajero were widly used OFF-ROAD from Tibet to Shanghai. Since 2000, scores of Pajero related fatal accidents were reported. In most cases, the broken rear brake lines were blamed. It is said that the rear brake lines are too close to the rear suspension system. In long term off-road ride, which is a daily routine in west China, the brake lines are likely to be touched and damaged by the suspension parts, and it can lead to fatal break failure.

Mitsubishi made the thing worse by failing in recalling its defected SUV in time. The Chinese saftey authority finally decided to cancel its import license.

It seems such problem won't happen if Pajero were driven on paved road. But Pajero is a SUV and Mitsubishi's design forgot that a SUV is for off-road drive. The worse part is that Mitsubishi's sluggish response to its product defect and safety problem. "

ANY COMMENTS, ANYONE?
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Only that I didn't like reading it. I hope it's more of a political situation than reality. Certainly politics isn't an issue with the Chinese. Hmm.

If there is a serious safety concern with the Montero design, our resale values are going to be hurt. This combined with gas prices is not a good thing. Resale is a big issue with me. I start testing resale values after two years.

drew
    Hmmm...this is interesting...First I've heard of it. Part of the problem is the source--China--there may be more going on with the license recall than safety (in fact I'd pretty much bet on it.). You would think this problem would be noted in the Dakar rallies; it hasn't to my knowledge. Is there any info that this has happend elsewhere?

The Pajero is a two doored mini Montero--not sold in U.S. Does anyone know wether the brake lines are the same in the Pajero vs. the full sized Monte?

If Mitsu knew the problem existed and did nothing to correct it, that is of course reprehensible (and would be much worse than toyota's recent miscues). This is obviously something worth following closely; if anyone has any further info please post.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nothing specific recently about Mitsu in China on the Edmunds News site (stories roll off after a few days), but here are some articles that may interest some of you:

Mitsubishi Reports Huge Loss

Mitsubishi Motors loses more than expected

Honda looks to step up operations in China

Nissan to Enter Chinese Car Market

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Here's link to the (apparently)latest story on the Pajero problem in China.

A quick read looks to me like it was a problem in before the 2001 model Montero was sold in the U.S.

Link:

http://latelinenews.com/ll/english/1052777.shtml

• ocelot1ocelot1 Member Posts: 101
    after reading the article sound like mits is taking care of the proublem better than most automakers would paying for repairs/taking vehicles back/providing rentals/giving money for injurys or losses as I see it better late than never.
    Mitsu now seems to have a wiring harness for a tow hitch that is a separate part for those of you who put on or are planning to put on your own hitch. I dont know if it has an advantage over a universal wiring job yet. Will have to take a look to see if it just plugs in.
  • sirpkpsirpkp Member Posts: 7
    Any ideas? I have the Montero ltd. After a long trip (or when warmed up), there is a whinning noise from the engine area. Noise more at about 1500rpm. Noise in park, noise if moving from a stop at around 1500rpm. More so when turning, and therefore I concluded that it has to do with the power steering. If engine is turned off and back on immediately, the whinning noise goes away sometimes. Any one have this or have any ideas what it may be?
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    Yes, that is the power steering pump acting up. The power steering reservoir is probaly foamed up because of air in the system. My dealer replaced the pumb two times, and it only works after a new (redesigned?)reservoir is install. It now still whine a little bit when first start up.
  • rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    If you have power steering pump problems make sure that you get them repaired while under warranty. If you are out of the warranty period then you may be in for a surprise. When the power steering pump went on my 89 Montero the replacement part was $1600! I looked everywhere and couldn't find a new one cheaper. I ended up getting a used one for $500 and then sold the truck.
    This was one of the big turn offs about Mitsubishi for me. It was difficult and expensive to get parts after the warranty. Has this gotten better in recent years?
  • claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    sirpkp,
    What year & model Monte do you have? How many miles on your rig?

It will be interesting if it is a reservoir problem that requires a new(re designed?)reservoir. I asked the dealer about a possible recall on replacing the reservoir and that they had not seen the problem. I hope it's not another cover-up and hope the rig makes it until the warranty runs out.
  • erubrighterubright Member Posts: 4
    How loud is the noise? Do you have to have the windows down and air/radio off, or is it loud enough that it's very noticeable?
    I dont seem to be having any problems. I dont know of any "cover up" that has occured with Mitsu or the Montero. What do you mean. I am aware that Mitsu in Japan was putting complaints in a "file" and addressing them in modifications over the years. What they failed to do was make these complaints public and thus people were concerned that they may not be getting important safety information or perhaps felt that they may not have developed a recall program for known defects. Since that story broke I have not heard any "real" concerns come out of it other than the flawed process they were using.
  • rbreauxrbreaux Member Posts: 1
    Recently brought my 95LS to the shop for the 60/120k which of course includes the timing belt replacement. The service shop (Palm Springs) called a day later stating problems of getting the belt off and said that they would have to break the crankshaft sensor and blade to accomplish the job and also stated that "I" would have to pay for those parts $84 and $34 plus the labor?!? LS still there awaiting...Comments, Suggestions? I don't think I should pay for a thing that they break...the are of course the Mitsu-pro's right? The 60/120k service is already costing me $955.00! and that's even when I did half of the regular maint myself before I brought it to them anyway (oil, rad-flush, air and fuel filter), but getting charged premium anyway...Whew! Terribly frustasting..NEED ADVICE/HELP!!!
  • kcook01kcook01 Member Posts: 2
    Help.

I just bought a Montero Limited 2001. We have test drove and looked over the car many times. Apparently, though I did not test drive it on the right type of road conditions.

When we drive in neighborhoods with slightly bumpy roads at 10-15mph there is a very loud resonation noise that fills the cab. It even makes your ear drums feel very sensitive after the car is stopped. I find it hard to believe this problem is only with this truck and not a design problem.

Please help - I am thinking of returning the truck in the morning and I am sick about it because I love the handling and everything else about it.

Thanks in advance...
    Well, as you state in the thrid paragraph, it is a SUV based on a truck and not a car. Have you ever owned a "truck" before? Trucks are not as quiet as cars.

That "wise a**" stuff said -- the fact that it only occurs on certain roads, I'bet dollars to donuts that it's the tires. I've noticed that on certain roads, at certain speeds, the H/T Yokohama Geolanders with the GO39 tread pattern will produce droaning resonate noise.

I'm going to replace them with M/T or A/T tires when they are worn a bit more (16,000 miles currently). Then the noises will be louder but at least constant and consistant.

If you don't drive off-road H/T tread tires from a different manufacturer might solve the problem. You can probably get some dealer to let you try out different tires on your "test road".

PHOnos, White/Silver Limited, Rear A/C, July 2000 build date, $34,500, Orange County, CA.
    I think all tires can be loud on certain surfaces. Actually the Yok Geo's rated very well in a recent comparison so I dont think you will do much better.

I have not noticed my vehicle being that loud. Going to the M/T or A/T tires is something I am considering on the next tire change but this will most certainly bring on more noise.

Bottom line: more aggressive tread more noise, Trucks are louder than cars and the Montero is one of the most quiet full sized, serious off road SUV with luxury thrown in that I have been in so no complaints from me.
  • kcook01kcook01 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for your responses. I was just kind of surprised I didn't see any thread here about the noise.

Yes, I do have a truck. The montero is my wifes and I have a F-150 that I love. She traded in a 97 Montero Sport on the Montero.

After sleeping on it, I kind of figured out that it was the tires. The tire pressure was at 32 so I lowered it to 29 like it says inside the door and it helped some.

More importantly I went back to the dealer and had them drive it with me. They heard the vibration and couldn't give me an answer why.
    I drove a XLS that had bridgetones and seemed to sound the same. I didn't realize and neither did they that all of the XLS had bridgetones and the limiteds had Yokos.

I then decided to drive the Explorer and Expeditions to get a feel for what they sounded like. The explorer didn't compare and with the Eddie Bauer was the same price. Cheap and heavy feel. I could go on and on about why I wouldn't buy that one.

The expedition was too big and even with an 8 didn't have the pickup of the Montero and the engine noise sounded like the old time trucks and felt like a tank. With a sticker of 45 - forget it.

So, I am feeling much better today because in regards to quality of material (in particular the leather), handling and pickup the Ford's were not even in the Montero's league.

I even had the Ford salesman ride with me in the Monetero and he loved the display and the layout. He heard the bass vibration as soon as we left - without me saying a word. But said that all of them have their unique sound but overall he was impressed with it.

Does Mitsu only have Yokos and Bridgetones tires to offer or do you think there is another brand they could get their hands on that might be quiter?

I will say, that it has been raining like crazy here and the Yokos cut through it like a knife.

Thanks again for your time and responses...
    Thanks for all the response. Here are answers to your questions and more.

Viet2, Mine whinnes too when first started up. But more so when run for 1/2 hour or more. And only sometimes. Was that the same symptom you had? Do you know what is wrong with the current reservoir? Why does it foam up with air. Would you have a part # of that reservoir from your receipt I could give my dumb dealer so there are no questions. It seems like from your case that the dealer will upgrade to the new bigger better reservoir only for 2001 monte's that have the problem. I wish they would make it a recall.

Claybuster,
    2001 Montero limited 4K miles only. I know what you mean about the coverup that's why I am hoping Viet2 can provide a part # or such that I can go with into the dealer and ask them to order it to fix my rig.

Erubright,
    The noise is very noticable when at it's worst, with the windows up or down, radio on or off. You can even hear it if you were standing with the hood open. Ofcourse more noticable with the windows up, radio and air off. At idle, rev the engine momentarily to about 2500rpm and at some point it would 'whine' if it had the problem.
    OK guys, what am I missing here? What specifically was covered up? I know the Japanese story already where they were putting complaints in a file, not making it public but my understanding is that the changes were being made as needed to address any important issues. The concern was that in Japan they were not making the complaints public and that some safety issues may have been in the stack.

What else do you know about?

As far as the power steering pump, I have no noise. We should try to find out the part number of the affected part and see if there is any official recall on it. The dealer gets repair notices and we could ask if they have one on the pump. I will ask out here in my area and get back to the board.
  • sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    I have had 2 harnesses go bad on me. The trailer lights just stay on or the signals don't work. Sometimes the doors lock automatically when I plug it in. Anyone know of some solutions or recall on the harness
  • doubleedoublee Member Posts: 1
    Anybody driven the XLS and the limited back to back. I'm curious as to the performance gains of the 5-speed auto in the Limited. I cant find any 0-60 times for the xls, only the limited.
    Your power steering pumb condition is similar to mine. Sorry I do not have the part number of the reservoir (they did not give me the part number). The "redesigned" reservoir is not bigger, it is the same shape as the "old" reservoir, but I believed that it has different internal. There is two tubes to keep the fluid from churning up and mixed with air. Some times it is hard to convince the dealer that there is a problem. What I did was video tape the sound and the reservoir foaming up and show to the dealer. while some one is turning the steering wheel. The video tape is handdy if later you need to file a lemon law suit if they do not fix the problem.

re: Tire Noise by kcook01. My limited is very quiet at any kind of paved road. Off road, some road with lots off small road surface irregularity would upsets the chasis, but so far the car still feels very tight. The Montero is also quieter than my SVT Contour sedan and My Pontiac GTP sedan. Yes, the Montero shock tunning is better then the Pontiac!
  • rgreenbe1rgreenbe1 Member Posts: 8
    After dealing with the excessive whinning from last Otcober to present, I finally got my dealer to realize there was actually something wrong with the power steering. Here the part information from my Invoice:
    MR961246 Reservoir Assy, P/S Oil
    I drove the car alot today and it seems much better. The part looks much longer and not as wide. Hope this helps everyone with Whinning Montero's. Just give your dealer this part# as it is the "new" part.

2001 Limited Silver w/Rear A/C

HAS ANYONE EVER FIGURED OUT WHY THE A/C INDICATOR ALWAYS STAYS ON. IT WAS FUNNY SEEING A PUDDLE OF WATER IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER, WHERE YOU USUALLY SEE IT DURING THE SUMMER AFTER THE A/C HAS BEEN RUNNING. TELL ME THE A/C ISN'T ALWAYS ON????
    HELP!
    rgreenbe1, Thanks for the information on the power steering reservoir part number. I don't understand why this reservoir problem is just showing up in some Monteros or do most people (like me) just have their radios turned up too loud to notice the problem. I think we all need to check for the problem, while they are covered under warranty. This is what I consider a possible "Cover Up" if there is a design problem (which it sounds like is to me) they should do a recall and fix it! Not deny there is a problem and hope it will run out of warranty.

My A/C also comes on in automatic temperature control mode; but I just push the knob with the green light (indicating A/C on) if I don't need the A/C and it goes off.

With the warmer weather I am getting a consistent 20 to 21 MPG with 87 octane; with an occasional fill of 89 octane. This is general driving to work and short trips, so this is a little better than I was expecting.
  • rgreenbe1rgreenbe1 Member Posts: 8
    I understand you can switch the A/C switch off if you don't need it. But that makes the automatic climate control somewhat pointless. Seems like a design flaw or I don't read my car manuals well enough.

Can anyone add something here??????????
    Thanks everyone for the useful info on this subject. Great idea about videotaping, will do that since everytime I decide to take the rig to the dealer it behaves!!
    My A/C turns ON as soon as you turn it to Auto(climate control). I understand it is designed this way, but I can turn it off then.
    I'm not so sure there is a coverup here yet. Give them a chance to get feedback, remember these are 2001 models.

I have had steering pumps whine on me in past vehicles but my Montero is as quite as it gets. I dont know if there is a part number on the pump but I sure would like to know if perhaps some later Montes ended up with a different pump or just a few pumps are whining.

Thanks for the info.
    Just for info, my whinning monte was bought in January 2001.
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Motor Trend's on-line edition reports 7400 problem-free miles after a year of test driving the 2001 Monte. They report average fuel consumption of 14.8 (apparently a lot of those 7400 miles were off-road). The only costs they incurred were for an oil change and a "few drops" of coolant. No mention, by the way, of excessive road noise or whining noises from the power steering.

I just had my 2001 Limited on its first road trip (500 miles). I was surprised at how comfortable it is on the highway. Sure, there was more road noise than on my Volvo wagon, but hey, it's a truck. Tons of room for the family (3 kids), and the third-row seat was the perfect place to park two of the kids for a few hours. I remain very impressed with this vehicle.

So far, after 2600 miles and three months, I have only a few complaints: (1) gas mileage continues to be low -- 12.5 mpg in city driving, 17.5 on the highway; (2) there is a short in the switch that automatically turns the rear light on and off when the rear gate is open and shut, and the screw that holds the switch on the body was fried; and (3) one of the four mounts that holds the front grille on is broken, so a corner of the grille sticks out a little. When I first drove the truck, I thought that it really needed more power. However, now that I have lived with it a while, I find that 200 horses are plenty around town and are adequate on the highway. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has found the V-6 to be a problem, particularly while towing or in high altitudes.
  • rs_rogersrs_rogers Member Posts: 16
    I am getting ready to purchase a 2001 Limited and was curious about what things I might or should be looking for - like the power steering fluid reservoir.

Can I tell when I look at the p/s reservoir under the hood if it is the model that causes the whining noise? rgreenb1 has indicated what the proper replacement part # is. Sound I look for a manufacture date since January? Was this warranty or was there a charge for this replacement?

Also would be interested to know what people wind up paying for their 2001 Limited with Rear A/C.

Any help or guidance anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
    Review of 3-door Montero (Pajero) badged as "Shogun" in the world where available at:

http://www.worldoffroad.com/vehicles/shogunjun01.asp

To bad Mitsubishi hasn't seen need to import this model to U. S. of A.

• counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    rs rogers - In February, I paid $35,100 at a Chicago-area dealership for my black-and-tan Limited with rear air, side steps, trailer hitch with wiring harness, and wheel locks. My Monte was built in December 2000 and, so far, I have had no trouble with the power steering pump.

phonos - Too bad indeed that Mitsu hasn't brought the three-door to our shores. Quite a bit of torque in that engine, and 29 mpg to boot! Just from its looks, it would seem to blow away the RAVs, CRVs, and other mini-utes out there.
    Where is the build date?
    I bought a 2001 Monte Ltd. with rear air for $34,000. + Tax & Lic. in Feb 2001, with 4.9% financing and included a factory hitch and front wind deflector. installed. Dealer in NE WA. If you look back through the past messages you will find all the past deals and negotiating methods. You can get a good deal on any extras you want with the high markup on these items.

On the towing issue, I had a U-haul trailer loaded with about total of 3500 lbs and the Monte handled that fine, but no big hills.

Still loving my truck.
  • sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    Did your dealer install your hitch or u-haul.
    I've been having electrical problems with mine
    since dealer installation from day 1.
    On an sticker with a lot of other information in the driver's side body door jamb, below the latch, I think.

PHOnos; White/Silver Limited w/Rear A/C; July 2000 build date; $34,500 + TTL in August, 2000 (no extras included); zero down, 4.8% for 48 months; Orange County, CA.; 18,000 miles, slight squeak from rear brakes when dry/hot, probably glaze on rotors/disks.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll aim for around $34k. It would be nice to have them throw in a trailer hitch.

I took a look at the 3 door "Shogun" for sale in the UK. GREAT looking product. They would sell that thing like crazy around here. Also noticed that most of the models in UK burn diesel. That would be nice here too. And, the MPG for UK models is 16/26 MPG. What's up with that? Different emission controls?
    In AUTO CC the A/C light will be on because the system may need to engage the compressor clutch to control temperature.

Just because the light is "on" doesn't mean the A/C compressor is running. It just means it can be used by the system. If the outside ambient air temperature is below that of the climate control setpoint and it's after dark, the A/C compressor won't run at all.

But, according to the manual, the computer controlling the temperature looks at both the inside air temperature and the amount of sunlight falling on a sensor located somewhere, so it may cycle "on" under daylight conditions even in winter on a bright day.

This is something like the old "by-level" setting from 20 years ago -- warm air at floor, cooler air where it is sunny.

You can turn off the A/C by pushing the button, but if you reset the temperature it will turn on again. In other words, "AUTO" really means, "Set temperature you want, then leave me alone to do my thing". If you turn it off, one option the system has to control cabin temperature is eliminated.

By the way, it will also decide whether or not to recycle the inside air, use outside air, or a combination of the two.

In AUTO, I think the compressor will engage also if the temperature is below some level to aid in the "defrosting" function by serving as a dehumidifier the cabin air.

PHOnos; White/Silver Limited w/Rear A/C; July 2000 build date; $34,500 + TTL in August, 2000 (no extras included); zero down, 4.8% for 48 months; Orange County, CA.; 18,000 miles, slight squeak from rear brakes when dry/hot, probably glaze on rotors/disks.
  • hi5543i1hi5543i1 Member Posts: 6
    In reply to message 552...yes there IS a known tranny problem... when cold tranny is KNOWN by Mitsubishi to slip... brought this to my service managers attention, he ackknowleged that there is a problem and the repair is to REPLACE transmission control computer. The slipping is very evident on shifts between 2 & 3rd when cold. I am waiting for next service to have this fixed... anyone else have this problem?
    I did on occasionally found the trans slipping at 2 gear, but I could not duplicates the problem. I think the trans failed to engage in the next gear, the engine rmp goes up and finally it shifted, resulting in a jolt. I also have a ticking sound of the exhaust (not the engine) but the dealer says it is normal. Go figure!
  • hi5543i1hi5543i1 Member Posts: 6
    The problem will happen on a cold start...1st series of shifts, between 2nd and 3rd...nothing normal about a slipping transmission...
    My hitch is a factory hitch with factory harness installed by the dealer. No problems to date, but I have only hauled a trailer once and did not notice any problems; but all hauling was during the daylight hours, so may not have noticed a problem.
    My idle speed with a cold start (60 deg. ambient) is 1450 rpm until the engine starts to warm. That seems about 400 rpm too high. I don't like shifting into gear with that high of rpm, especially backing out of a tight garage. Dealer says it is normal cold idle rpm. Does anybody got a different cold idle speed?

Thanks for any help!
    Monte purchasing: 34,000 is reasonable, and I'll bet you'll get them to throw in a hitch (ask for the cargo liner too while you're at it).

No problems with the tranny slipping in cold weather (and I live in Wisconsin, and it was a VERY cold winter). No problems with fuel pump noise either, but I tend to play my stereo loud too.

The Monte's are set up to idle at relatively high rpm's. I used to know the reason why, but I think I infarcted that memory cell or something. It concerns me too--I worry a little about long term engine wear.

The motor trend report is certainly encouraging.

My wife is thinking about replacing the van with a seq. in a couple of years--which is good for me, cause that way I can get another Monte when the time comes. If we get a Seq. down the road, I would be interested in the Pajero, since I wouldn't need the extra room--is there any plans to market it in the U.S. down the road?? If so, can you get the Pajero with the same goodies as on the Monte ltd?
    Does anyone know if the 2001 Monty's engine has a timing belt or chain? I noticed it has a rather large air filter box. Does it require a unique or uncommon filter? Anybody put a K&N filter in it yet? Also, are there repair manuals (Haynes, Chilton, etc..) out for this vehicle yet?

Will be headed to the dealership tomorrow (Saturday) to look it over very closely and have wife drive it.

Thanks