Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• baydrivebaydrive Member Posts: 48
    I know what you mean. I have a hard time figuring out what the ratings mean. Truthfully, since the new models haven't been out that long I would wonder what a bad rating would mean. I read all the ratings for the Forester and some people didn't like it because to them the seats were uncomfortable or the interior seemed cheesy. I find my seats in my 2005 Forester to be very comfortable, so who knows. I am more concerned with safety and reliability issues. Forester ranks very high in the crash tests when compared to other cars in it's class. It is a top pick in Consumer reports and they seem to factor in comfort, drivability, safety and reliability.

Good luck with your decision.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    If you're referring to the consumer ratings, did you take a hard look at the 18 reviews? Pretty obvious if you're looking only at the average with its small sample size. You might want to also check the reviews on the '04's. As with any editor / magazine / owner reviews on anything, they have to be taken as a very rough guideline in your analysis & decision to purchase...you may or may not agree based on your experience, needs & preferences for each make / model / option pkg. Any issues raised reflecting a problematic trend or flaw would get my attention immediately for further investigation.

If you have any specific concerns or questions, please advise.
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    One of my fog lights on my 03 Forester just went out. I normally change headlight bulbs on my own. The owners manual says to let the dealer do it. It looks like I have to take the bottom cover off. Does anyone know how hard it is? Or where I can get instrctions on how to do it? Thanks
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    If someone could tell me how I could send you a private message to get your email address, I would gladly send you the .pdf files from the online manual I have which will show how to remove the foglight assy, then replace the bulb.
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    Could you also send the .pdf file to my e-mail address? temp030@hanmail.net

Where did you find the online manuals?
    There is an on place at Subaru you can signup for 24 hr access to all their .pdf manuals and download as many as you could in that short subscription period. But the 2002 and older manual names made no sense (MS5TL36A02 was radiator fans).
    I purchased a CD-Rom with the 2003/2004 manuals on it. A little more clumsy than the paper manuals I am used to. But I paid about $30 vs the $375 for the 2002 Forester manuals.
    I got my CD-Rom from a supplier in Mass. I found him with an online search. Also got my wife's 04 Highlander there also.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Please don't put your email addresses in your posts - the forums are searchable via Google and other engines. Your email address in your profile is only available to members - it is not visible to the general internet like posts.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • DonluceDonluce Member Posts: 41
    We are considering purchasing a Forester XT,and will be taking vacations to Orlando, Florida and Melbourne, Australia in the next three months.

Does anyone know the rental agencies that use Subrau Foresters in Orlando and Melbourne?

Thanks,

Don Luce
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I have rented Subarus from Hertz in other parts of the country.

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    In Florida I seriously doubt it. They rent in places like Colorado, mostly.

In Australia, though, you may have more luck. Subaru is big there, they have a ton more market share than they do here in the US.

If Graham frequents these boards maybe he can answer, he lives Down Under.

-juice
  • shortlidshortlid Member Posts: 50
    Hi, group my family has had MANY Roos. I still have my Grandfathers '98 Legacy L Wagon EJ22, AT with 137,750 miles on it. My girlfriends '97 Saturn SC1 is about to give up with 122k on the clock. We went to Subaru of Nashua, NH and took a look at a '00 Forester LIMITED in five-speed with 116k on the clock. It drove nice. Belts had been done, no wrecks, only a drone from the rear that the stealership said they would look into. They want $8,900 for it I offered $6,500. It books for $11,500 on Kelly? It is a strange car, it has the elec. compass, barometer, temp on the dash, ALL FOUR (FRONT AND BACK) DUEL STAGE HEATED LEATHER SEATS. Bumper guard, running boards, fog lamps with grilles, aluminum rims. Should she go for it? Any members have this vintage Forester with the Phase II EJ25 with more miles than this? Does this year Forester suffer from the wheel bearing problems of it's Impreza platform kin??

PS. Did this year Forester have a factory moonroof option, this one does not have one? What kind of MPG should we expect from this Forester?
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I've rented Outbacks twice from Hertz in, of all places, Myrtle Beach, SC. One of them had NC tags on it and originated in Wilmington.

Ed
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    There is no factory "Limited" Forester model (that I'm aware of), so that's probably a dealer optioned car. It's going to be hard to determine the exact book value of it.
    edit: Oh, NH? Lots of distributor "special editions" and different options I believe.

Bad wheel bearings would be my guess, and I think that's the same year as lark6's old Forester that had the wheel bearings worked on about three times. Ed?

-Dennis
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Forester "Limited" or "L"? I'm pretty sure there wasn't a Limited version in 00. From the description, it sounds like it could be a Canadian model. If not then it may be a vehicle that a dealer customized. When you mentioned the noise in the rear I immediately thought that it might be a wheel bearing going bad and yes that model year was prone to have wheel bearing problems. Of course with that many miles on the odo, I wouldn't characterize a bad bearing as an early failure.

-Frank
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An Edmunds.com reporter wants your opinion: “What are the coolest cars for soccer moms?” Please email jhelperin@edmunds.com with which vehicles you like and why. Please respond by this Monday, 11/8, with “soccer moms” in the subject line.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bchaplinbchaplin Member Posts: 5
    I've had my 2005 Forester X for about a month now. No problems so far!

I freaked out when I started reading the manual. There are about half a dozen things I'm supposed to be checking monthly, some when the car is cold, some when the engine is warmed up. Tire pressure, oil, rear differential something-or-other, steering fluid, brake fluid, etc..

Do Subaru owners really check these things every month? How do you keep it all straight? I feel like I shold make a chart or something and stick it in the glovebox.

Also, I am concerned that, due to the side air bags, I'm not supposed to cover the seats. I wanted to use seatcovers to protect the fabric. Has anyone had experience using Scotchguard?

Keep in mind that I haven't owned a car for a while! This is all new stuff for me.
  • baydrivebaydrive Member Posts: 48
    I have had my Forester X for 2 weeks now. I was not aware that I needed to check all those things monthly. I suppose I should take a look at the manual more closely.

About the seats. I do not know too much about Scotchguarding them but I will tell you that stains seem to come out easily. I have the beige interior. Unfortunately one of my passengers got sick and threw up in the car when it was only 1 week old. It happened during a trip and I just wiped it up until I could clean it thoroughly. There were dark stains but later that day I washed it with water and a mild detergent (as they recommend in the manual) and it came out perfect. No stain or even hint of one.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The most trouble free cars are those that are just driven. The more things you check, the more problems (mostly imaginary) you tend to find. Just check the oil every 1500 miles or so, the other fluids will be checked by the dealer during service. Tire pressure - good to check every couple of months. Windshield washer - another good thing to keep topped off. If something is wrong somewhere, you will get a warning light to let you know about it.
  • pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    We recently rented a Forester X from National in Victoria, British Columbia.

Unlikley anyone rents XTs, but it sure would help Subaru's sales....

JP
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Amazing, my '03 XS went from zero piston slap in 27,000 miles to a major clacking session this morning. Not sure how an engine can loosen up overnight. It was 54 degrees this AM, not an Alaskan freeze by any means.

John
    Hmm, check your oil level!

Craig
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Craig, I did check it the day before, it was spot on full. I have never had to add oil anytime between changes. It sounded like my diesel tractor engine when I start it using ether, only it lasted 2 mins before gradually fading.

John
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Congratulations on your new Forester! And congratulations on being a responsible new car owner by reading your owners manual. Not everyone does that but everyone should. Almost any owners manual you read for any make will instruct you to check all your fluids and tire pressure regularly. I have had my Forester for 8 months now and I check the oil about monthly. I check the tire pressure about every two months. I can visually see the power steering fluid, brake fluid and washer fluid levels when I check the oil. I have checked the automatic transmission fluid and differential fluid only twice since owning the car. It's a good habit to get into to check that stuff but you should find a schedule that works for you. It will get easier as you practice :-)

As for seat covers, if you get custom seat covers that are made to open with side impact air bags, you'll be fine. I would recommend GT Covers also known as Great Covers. I don't think they have covers for the 2005 models yet but it's worth a call. They have a couple web sites and provide custom seat covers for many dealers across the country. I have purchased three sets from them so far and have been happy. They retail from dealers for $160 but you can buy direct for $120 or so for two seats.

Elissa
    No such factory option, though the "Premium" package arrived in MY2000. You don't have it though, because it comes with a moonroof.

The drone from the rear probably is the wheel bearings. Especially if it changes pitch with speed.

If they replace those with Legacy bearings you should be all set. Gaskets would have failed by 116k miles so that's good to go.

-juice
    Under the hood, all the fluids you check and add have yellow dipsticks. It really helps you locate them quickly.

Only the gear oil is a long reach. The rest you can check at a glance. Just do it at each oil change. Odds are you'll never have to add fluids. At least I never have.

-juice
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    is a trim line in Canada. I think it denotes the leather option.
    Owen
    Maybe this was a fluke. If it happens on a regular basis, then I would say piston slap. But it could just be a fluke.

Craig
  • brc2004brc2004 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the help! The first Baby Step will be checking the oil level, just for practice.

Elissa, I sent an email to GT asking about covers for the 2005 Forester, since nothing more recent than 2002 is listed on their web site. They look good, though! Certainly better than what was available at my local Target.

Is there any harm to Scotchguarding the seats, especially the back ones, which I probably won't bother to cover?
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    When checking the oil level on my Forester and my wife's Outback, I pull the dipstick out and wipe it clean, then wait a few minutes before reinserting it. That allows the oil level to "settle" properly, so you get an accurate reading. Otherwise, when you first pull the dipstick out, the level will read higher than normal.

Len
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    This has been discussed before, but it's probably worth re-iterating for new owners. The Subaru boxer is notoriously difficult to get a good reading on the oil level. It seems like the angle that the dipstick goes into the crankcase, and the design of the dipstick tube is to blame. Pulling the dipstick and waiting a few minutes to allow any excess oil to drain out of the dipstick tube seems to improve the accuracy of the reading.
    HTH,
    Owen
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Where's the best value for the money in the Forester line? The X or the upscale ones? Sometimes I see the more upscale models deeply discounted to the point where they are only two to three thousand more than the X while the MSRP is more like 5-6k higher. Is there a major resale differential between say the X and the L.L. Bean version? Are there any features that you get in the more upscale version that make sense from functionality as opposed to more personal things like the sunroof? Finally, I see that the entry level Legacy wagon is priced competitively with the Forester but is a bigger car and even has a higher highway mpg rating along with side curtain air bags. How does that stack up against the Forester?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Well, Forester scored higher in the IIHS side impact test. Given it basically got perfect scores in IIHS front offset, and NHTSA NCAP 20/20 stars, I think Forester more than holds it own in terms of safety.

X is a great value. Even though it is a "base" model, you get AWD, ABS, power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise, CD player, A/C, temp guage, tach, rear wiper, fog lights, roof rack with cross bars, and a full size spare. Even side airbags that protect your head are standard.

Shop competitors and their base models are missing about 3-5 of those items at least. Seriously.

I happen to prefer the unpainted cladding, but you'll have to be the one to decide whether you do or not.

Basically the X has everything you need.

The XS adds things you might want, like heated seats, mirrors, wiper de-icers, 6CD changer, and painted cladding. Do you want those things?

The Premium package adds that huge moonroof. Boy is it sweet, though.

Legacy wagon will cost you more, street price. Forester X runs in the 18s with a manual, 19s with an automatic. A Legacy wagon would run 20-21 for manual, 21-22 for automatic. So it's a couple grand higher.

Plus the Legacy loses the full size spare, the fog lights, the cross bars for the roof rack. It gains side-airbag curtains but still scores lower in IIHS tests, so that advantage is dubious at best. You get rear disc brakes, too.

Legacy is longer, but not nearly as tall. So it'll carry more groceries, but not as big a box in the cargo area.

I own one of each, older models, but I prefer the Forester. It's just more spunky, more nimble, I dunno. It's hard to explain. On paper that Legacy should be better, but it's not.

Value is about getting all the basics you need for the best price possible, so the answer is Forester X.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't get a higher-end model if you want those things, though. You only live once and I'm sure you'll enjoy the extras. How much? $2000-3000 worth? You'll get some back at resale time. What's it worth to you?

-juice
    I agree with Juice -- the Forester is more nimble and a lot more fun to drive. SO that is one important difference that is hard to "price".

Back in 2000 when I was shopping for my first Subaru, I was looking at the Forester quite a bit, and was almost ready to buy a base model. Then I test drove a base Outback and decided it was a better car for me. Back then, there was a lot of overlap in pricing, and a base Outback was equipped similar to a higher end Forester for about the same price.

In Aug 2002, my wife bought an 03 Forester XS, and it reminded me how much fun the Forester is to drive.

I would reccommend at least driving the base Outback and Legacy models, to see what the differences are. The 05 models are extremely refined, noticeably more so than the Forester. If that appeals to you, they may be a better choice. Hard to say -- it really depends on which car feels "right" to you.

BTW, you can get all the cars for near the invoice price, so keep that in mind as you shop around.

Craig
    I'll borrow a quote from Lucien and tell you that I think the 2005 Legacy is "too nice".

My kids are just gonna have food fights all over those upscale materials. ;-)

-juice
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I sat in a Legacy wagon today and was surprised that even though the car is over a foot longer than the Forester, there seemed to be less leg room for the driver and a more cramped driving position. Maybe sitting higher in the Forester is the reason. I'm one who'd prefer the unpainted cladding with the top of the line package but they don't build it that way so the X seems to make the most sense. You are right about that extra large sun roof though. Makes it tough to pass on that. Is there any rebate right now? What should an X automatic cost? I can add on the invoice prices of stuff like netting and splash guards. The local dealer does after market leather for about a grand and let's you order two-tone if you'd like....you can specify the darker color on the doors to hide scuff marks and the like.
    Forester does offer a more chair-like sitting position, which I always liked, and it has more headroom for sure. It's actually got about the same back seat legroom as the 05 Legacy/Outback which is a poor reflection on the Leg/OB!! The cargo area on the Leg/OB is a smidge longer, but that's about it. I do think the Forester offers more interior space relative to it's size. Compared to Camry/Accord, which have upsized in recent years, the Leg/OB is indeed on the small side.

Craig
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    I plan on changing the front and rear differential oil. Does anyone know the torque specs for the front drain plug and the rear drain & fill plugs? Do I need to use RTV or threadlocker on the plugs?
    Anyone got an on-line manual handy?

I didn't use anything special. I was told it would be really hard to remove, but actually it was a piece of cake. I did have a long shaft 1/2" ratchet drive, just in case.

You can run a tube from above and pour gear oil in, or buy a hand-held oil pump and use that. I prefer the latter because if you spill it doesn't end up on the vehicle.

Forester's seating position is slightly raised, but not that much. It's very easy to get in and out of.

-juice
    Front Torque 44Nm / 32.5ft-lbs.
    Rear Torque 49Nm / 36.2ft-lbs
    On the rear threads use Three Bond 1105 (Subaru pn 004403010)
    I would have guessed 35 from memory, but I wanted someone to be sure. I seemed to recall it took roughly half the torque needed for the wheel lugs (65-72 lb-ft).

I didn't use anything, hope that rear diffy plus comes out next time. :-)

-juice
    Yeah, I'm not much of a perfectionist when it comes to torque specs either. With everything else I am a perfectionist, but I am terrified of torque wrenches. Funny, huh? They are ridiculously long and unwieldy and don't fit anywhere particularly well, without adding a silly number of extensions. Not to mention, the needle type wrench I have is like reading the galaxy to me - I can never really tell what I'm torquing to for sure. Have debated getting the click-type torque wrench for better accuracy but that is so expensive and unwieldy as well. *sigh* I'm doomed to hand-tighten everything and get more tows to the shop when I over-torque things like my aluminum coolant bleed bolt LOL
    Elissa
    Ask Santa for a couple click-type torque wrenches -- a large 1/2" wrench with extension, and a smaller 3/8" wrench with extension. Between the two of them you should be covered. You can even get a mini one if desired! I have a big 1/2" wrench and plan to add a smaller 3/8" wrench one of these days.

BTW, the beam-type wrenches are indeed hard to read, and get out of calibration real easy. Not worth using in my experience.

Craig
    Sears has their Craftsman click types on sale this week (Craftsman Club sale) for about $55.00. I used to have a beam type many years ago. They're nearly worthless at any angle other than when you are directly over the scale (which, of course, hardly ever happens). I got a Craftsman 1/2" click type about 4 years ago. What a difference! Once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. You may also wonder how you didn't damage more things by over-torquing them in the past!

Len
    Thanks Craig and Len!
    A click-type torque wrench for Christmas it is then! My husband is tired of getting me such unromantic gifts though LOL. Our first holiday together I asked for jack stands. Maybe this year I'll ask for a teddy (ya think JC Whitney sells those?) with the torque wrench so at least he can have some fun too while I'm working on the car. :P
    Elissa
  • chris2chris2 Member Posts: 5
    What do you guys think about spark plugs with two(2) or four(4) electrodes? Does it pay to install them in Forester 2001? Platinum or regular? Is the Bosch a good choice or is it better to stick with the original Japanese plugs? Thank you for yours opinions, Chris.
    My $.02, Spark plugs with multi electrodes or no electrodes (Fire plugs of the late 60's early 70's) are snake oil from my experience.
    I also tried Bosch in my wife's Caravan and my 90 Legacy (Platniums). I was unhappy with their performance and replaced them within 6 months of installing them.
    I have since used ONLY NGK's in all the vehicles I own and service. If it calls for platniums, I use them. If not I use the standard copper core plugs. They give good performance and last as long if not longer than advertised.
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    in Pa.
    Spring-Fall a consistent 180 miles per half tank in my 2001S. Current tank, barely 160 miles.
    I've noticed the same thing within the last few weeks here in NJ. I went from averaging between 26-28 MPG down to around 23-24 MPG over the same commute in my 2001 Forester S.

Len
This discussion has been closed.