Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Speedometer

Comments

• dragonstunnadragonstunna Member Posts: 3
    If you work for them, pass an email up the chain to get this speedometer recalled
  • wirenut2wirenut2 Member Posts: 9
    I have the same problem Chevy said took it to the dealer and pay 110.00 so they can tell me it is broken DA already know this purchased parts on ebay 6 stepper motors for 32.00 with shipping will repair myself when i get the parts.
  • psgtpsgt Member Posts: 1
    I guess I am looking in the right spot.My son was driving the trailblazer when the speedometer went out.Is anyone having any luck with it being replaced.My brother-in-law just had his replaced in his Tahoe.Free of charge! I can't believe how many are having this problem and no recall.What a shame!
  • mpprattmppratt Member Posts: 1
    We are also experiencimg speedometer malfunctions on our 2005 trailblazer. It has been malfunctioning for over a year now and as of now does not work at all! This is very frustrating and seems to be affecting many others. Chevy should take care of this problem!!!!
  • xchevyownerxchevyowner Member Posts: 6
    I just lost my Gas Gauge along with the Speedometer on my 05 Trailblazer. The Speedometer still works some times making it difficult to know when to trust it. My daughter is learning to drive on this car, which is very frustrating for her. I know she will never buy a Chevy. I just dropped $400 fixing the sending unit on the gas tank (which is also a wide spread issue with this model), and now they want another $400 to fix the Gas Gauge and Speedo (this time the instrument cluster). That is $800 invested in a simple GAS GAUGE, that should never fail.

Christina,

Is there a service bulletin on this problem so a DIY person could fix this problem, or is GM forcing us go to the dealer. I CAN'T believe GM recalled this same problem in the Tahoe, but not the Trailblazer!!!!

If I was to fix it, does the replacement part fix the issue. Or is it the same junk that will break again 4 years from now.

PS - I owned Chevys for 30 years, and will buy another if they will stand behind there cars. Why would I purchase something that I know will cost me $1000's in repairs.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    xchevyowner ,
    The replacement part should fix the problem. I apologize I do not have service bulletins as it is for our servicing staff. I apologize for your frustrations. If you would like to email me your VIN I can double check for recall information.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • botomgunbotomgun Member Posts: 4
    Christina,

It is nice to see that you will reply to some of us. Granted, my previous post didn't ask for anything in particular, unless you count the request for help!

Your ability to provide assistance in any official capacity on this forum appears exremely limited at best. You were unable to find a phone number for our friend over in Holland and your not sure of recall information concerning the Trailblazer. Do you really need a VIN to go forth and ask this great company if there is a recall concerning the instrument cluster on the Cherolet Trailblazer? If they ask what years, tell them ALL. Then come back with any bulletins that you are provided (I'm sure you can get them from the servicing staff). Bulletins are pretty specific regarding what the eligiblity requirements are. Maybe you can inquire why this problem warrented a fix on the Tahoe, but not the TB. Anything information coming out of Detroit would be appreciated, even if it is negative. At least we will have something to pursue.

Duane
  • xchevyownerxchevyowner Member Posts: 6
    I have already checked for recalls.

Why can't you give us the service bulletin to fix this? Or the Partnumber or the Assembly we need?
    edited January 2011
    xchevyowner,
    I apologize service bulletins are for the service technicians only, I cannot give out that information. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would recommend speaking with your service department about service bulletins.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited January 2011
    Not that this information should alleviate GM's responsiblity to do what is right, but I found a place in Syracuse, NY that will fix the dash cluster for $175. The price includes a 1 year warrenty.

I found out about this service while dropping off a home stereo component for a friend while I was in Syracuse last week. This is a large company that does mostly warrenty and extended warrenty repairs for a wide range of electronics.

I called the automotive section this morning and asked about our problem. The woman I talked to didn't even hesitate when I asked her about the TB gage cluster. Once received, the repair will be completed in 24-48 hours. If you are fortunate enough to live within driving distance and can drop it off personally, they will fix it in about an hour.

Worth a shot! Here is a link to the company:

http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive/
  • j_clay02j_clay02 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem not only in our TB, but also in a Silverado we own for our small business. We spent $400, 6months ago to have the sending unit in our gas tank replaced, and $800 to have the dash cluster replaced because the speedometer and oil gage were no longer working. I am at the point were I refuse to spend the same money on the truck that we just spent on the Trailblazer.

I contacted CHEVY, and asked why they were not assisting their customers with these repairs, clearly there are a lot of us:
    ' THE PROBLEM YOU ARE HAVING IS NOT WIDE SPRED ENOUGH, NOR IS IT CONSIDERED A SAFETY ISSUE. THEREFORE CHEVY WILL NOT CONSIDER THIS PROBLEM UNDER RECALL'

Who do they think they are? I consider this a huge safety issue.
    As a tax payer I have spent more than enough money on GM, when it comes time to buy our next 2 company trucks, I think we will go with FORD. And my next personal vehical will be a company who stands behind what they make, and belive in customer service.
  • auburnmom1auburnmom1 Member Posts: 2
    I too have problems with my speedometer on my Trailblazer. I have actually seen when mine goes bad. It kinda "sticks" while driving and then gets all messed up. Mine usually reads that I am going faster than what I actually am. Only once has it read slower than my speed. I CANNOT believe that GM is not going to recall this problem. I guess they just want to be sued instead. This is a major safety issue. I have two small children and cannot rely on my speedometer to know how fast I am going. Does GM expect us to just guess? I also do not have the kind of money at this time to fix this problem, as I have seen on many website that this is quite expensive. I feel I shouldn't have to pay for this anyway since it should be recalled due to the high number of the same type of problem. What is the explanation behind them recalling Tahoe but not Trailblazer on the same issue??
  • jwyckoffjwyckoff Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I have a 2005 Trailblazer EXT. The fuel gauge has not worked for months now and all of a sudden over the past few weeks the speedometer started sticking as well. We have 4 children. 2 of them live with their Mom part of the time in KY (we live in SC). So we have to meet in the middle to pick them up severl times a month. We have to drive through the NC/TN mountains, winding mountain roads, with 4 small children in the back not knowing what our speed is. You go too fast you can flip, you go to slow and the big rig trucks are barreling down on you because it is hard for them to slow down too much when going down the mountain sides. This is a very serious very dangerous issue.
    botomgun,
    In order for me to look up recall information I will need a VIN. Some recalls are VIN specific. Service bulletins are for the service staff only. I am a customer service representative and I am not able to access those. I would recommend speaking with the service department, but I doubt that they will provide you with the bulletin. They would be able to fix the vehicle for you. If you would like please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • theeshawntheeshawn Member Posts: 1
    Ours just went out yesterday on our 2005 Trailblazer with a bit over 53,000 miles. I wonder if anyone has filed a class action suit against them about it?

Because unfortunately when you're dealing with companies who put $$ before their product quality and customer service, a suit is the only option to get them to listen.

It's obvious that it's a problem, and one that shouldn't occur at any mileage let alone the mileages it's showing up on. This is the first car I have ever had a speedometer stop working in, I think it's pathetic.
  • tlbzrgirltlbzrgirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 EXT purchased used w/15000 miles on it, it's now at 78,000 miles. I have truly enjoyed my Trailblazer but I share this same issue with (as in all previous post) many others. I intend to make my call to lodge my complaint today.

I never expected to purchase a vehicle "problem free", but I'am very concerned about the number of these specific issues as a whole, to imagine the MASS number of these "daily drivers" out on our roads everyday is just case for concern. Even more so that the vehicles with the "RECALL" are out numbered by a wide margin by those of us driving the Trailblazers. Seems to me someone at GM thought these actions out fairly carefully for their outward apperances of doing "the right thing", but only if you have spent "so much money" with our company, right?

So as I said I will call and make my complaint and hope ALL of you will do the same. Maybe if we ever reach that "unknown" number of complaint makers we can all get our problems fixed.
  • ggilbert47ggilbert47 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, my speedometer will get stuck at 75mph, then once i slow down, i just bottoms out and stays, and when it feels like it, it will works its way back to zero, counter clockwise. Its frustrating to not know how fast or slow your going, and yes i have heard it can be very expensive. It would be nice if GM will fix this problem.
  • dragonstunnadragonstunna Member Posts: 3
    i think i found a suggestion to all of this, i read on msn.com about a guy who takes big companies to small claims court to sue them for anything that had affected him negatively, from banks, to computer companies, to travel sites. he has a 80% success rate. if all of us sue gm in small claims court, maybe they'll finally do something about these crappy instrument clusters
  • fedup52fedup52 Member Posts: 1
    I read some of these posts and followed the advice to call Chevrolet and I got nowhere. They told me that they could not assist me with the cost b/c my mileage is too high. Its 138k and a 2003. If anyone knows of any other help, that would be great. The dealership is quoting aroung $600 to fix this problem. :cry:
    ggilbert47,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • ssykorassykora Member Posts: 1
    2004 Trailblazer LT 48,000 miles, same problem. At start up all gauges not working, seat belt light, battery light, ABS light all lit. They will all start working after driving a distance that is variable. Still diagnosing! I did replace the stepper motor on the speedometer last year!
  • adrienne636adrienne636 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought our 2004 Trailblazer LS w/ 110,xxx miles on it and noticed the speedometer doing the same thing. We just bought it last night and it started sticking this evening. We also have 2 children, one only 2 children, one born just two weeks ago. This makes me very nervous to drive it. There has to be an easy, inexpensive fix. We certainly cannot afford to pay $600 to have the darn speedometer fixed at a dealership. Please help!
    adrienne636,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation for you.

Thank you,
    ssykora,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • jkinsmanjkinsman Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 04 trailblazer and I'm experiencing the same problem everyone else has. Speedometer and tachometer were sticking for a while. Then it failed at about 112,000 mi. This is in addition to the cheap plastic bolts they have to attach the upper third brake light panel. I live in Wisconsin and my Trailblazer doesn't sit in a garage during the winter. So snow got stuck underneath the piece from opening and shutting the trunk. It snapped off while I was driving and luckily nobody was behind me. As for the speedometer, I'm expecting a child in July and this is ridiculous that I even have to consider buying a different vehicle because my wife doesn't trust this one. It's just dissappointing GM sits there and does nothing.
  • mrose15mrose15 Member Posts: 2
    Wow..... I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS PROBLEM IS SOOOO EXTREME AND THERE WAS NO MAJOR RECALL??? WELL I HAVE AN 05 CHEVY AND MY SPEEDOMETER DOES WHATEVER AND MY GAS HAND DOESN'T WORK, I HAD ONLY OWNED MY VEHICLE FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS WHEN THE PROBLEM STARTED, AND MY AIR AND HEAT DON'T WORK, I AM NOT SURE IF THEY ARE ALL TIED TOGETHER BUT CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME ANY ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE OR INFORMATION AS TO WHAT STEPS I SHOULD TAKE?
  • eclarke67eclarke67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 TrailBlazer LT - 1 year, 3 months ago - I replaced the instrument cluster at the local dealership. This past weekend, I went to start the car and it was dead. I could not even get the key out - I had to get a ride to buy a battery charger - I got the battery charged and the key came out. I bought a battery 1 year, 5 months ago. So I backed the car up to take it to get the battery and that checked and the spedometer was pointing south. The needle does not move but you year it. So I called the dealer where I bought the car and had them install the new instrument cluster and they said the speodemter was only covered for 1,200 miles or 1 year. So all they will do is look at it. My question is why did the car go dead and what could that have done to the speodmeter. I'm so ticked right now.
  • dll66dll66 Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, my wife's 05 Trail Blazer speedo is out of wack. What gets me that we need to take it to the Chevy dealer to look at it to tell us that it is broke and pay for that then schedule to get it fixed and pay more on top of that. Really? A whole lot of people are having problems and GM does not consider this a "safety" issue? I guess a bunch of people may have to die before GM considers this a big issue.
  • mrose15mrose15 Member Posts: 2
    So I guess my question is, is there not some kind of class act law suit that can be filed? B/c surely this can't be right I refuse to have an accident or something more severe due to the fact that GM doesn't care. I truly had no idea so many others were experiencing the samething.
    mrose15,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership to be diagnosed? Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Click on my user name to get the email address.

Thank you,
    edited June 2011
    You used the magic word to get a response. Lawsuit. Unfortunately that seems to the only attitude that gathers a response.

GM is not concerned about this safety issue. UNTIL SOMEONE IS CRITICALLY INJURRED, or worse, nothing will get done. Eventually the TB will become old and people will move on to other vehicles. That is what GM is hoping for.

I finally had to send mine off to get fixed. Look on eBay and you will find a guy that does nothing but fix this problem. A look at the number of these he has fixed should be an indicator that this is a wide spread problem.

If sales decline, the corporate wallets will cry to DC that they are not making as much as they used to and we will continue to fill their coffers with our taxes.
  • ljksmomljksmom Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same issues with my 2005 Trailblazer xt my vin number is 1GNET16S456148949, speedometer and gas guage going crazy, i move 120 mph sitting still.

Can you please tell me what we need to do, apparently my car is falling apart we are also having the blower motor control issues that when I searched was a problem too on these vehicles. we are in the process of trying to fix it now.. we don't even have 100,000 miles on it yet, I think barely over 90,000 if that...
    ljksmom,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number) and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • chevtbltchevtblt Member Posts: 1
    My wife just had the same experience yesterday on her 2004 TB EXT as well. Is GM recalling?
    Caron
    I just sent you all my information via email.
    Thanks
    Sherri
  • heathera73heathera73 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post. My 2005 Trailblazer has had a speedometer and gas gauge problem since just after I purchased it last year private party with only 70k mi.. . I wish I would have read up on the trailblazers before I bought mine... it's left me stranded (thankful it was on my way to pick up the kids) and we are total CHEVY family (this is our 5th). I'm not sure if I would buy another Chevy after owning this clunker.. honestly. What are folks doing about the non working speedometer and gas gauge issue? Thanks for any info you can offer.
  • adrienne636adrienne636 Member Posts: 2
    Caron,

I am new to this site and unsure how to send you an email.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Click on the gmcustsvc member name to get Caron's contact info.
    A waste of our time, yes they contacted me, but wanted to set up a diagnoses at my expense and repair at my expense, ashamed that they don't step up to the plate and take responsibilty for faulty equipment.. So don't get your hopes up when they start sending you emails that it is being reported and checked into, just a way to get more money out of us at the dealerships.. I have a friend who is a GM mechanic and when I first had problems and asked him what he could be he knew immediatley and the cost of around 500.00 to have it replaced at the dealership.. Good Luck I hope you have better luck than I did... I will just keep calculating my fuel supply on paper and an estimate of how many miles I have driven, and hope I don't get a ticket for speeding one day until I can afford to get it fixed......
  • dochaleydochaley Member Posts: 11
    I tried to email them at socialmedia@gm.com and it came back as refused due to being a

BLACKHOLE LIST

WTF?!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Their e-mail works for me...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wirenut2wirenut2 Member Posts: 9
    I also have the same problems on my 04 tb first the speedometer stopped working had the step up motor replaced now the entire cluster took a crap this is unreal and I told I have to pay for the repairs what a rip off with so many owners having the same problem there is something that should be done about this my truck has 89K miles on it .Then they say buy AMERICAN ..... Why should we spend our hard earned money on junk this will be my last AMERICAN made car I have owned 7 GM cars corrently have 3 but enough is enough.
    Well I got contacted and asked for my VIN and other info.
    BTW my TB has had 3 new heads put on it!
    Factory one went south in 2008
    Friendly Chevrolets crappy work went south early this year.
    Now I'm on the 3rd one from Bankston Nissan.

Who knows? Maybe there will be some help or maybe not? Who knows?
    There is always the BBB and if enough are not helped or satisfied then
    filing a complaint, maybe in the thousands? would get their
    attention?

I'm gonna wait and see what they do and especially what the problem is.
    That'll tell you a bunch.
    Did they buy stuff from a crappy mfg?
    Did they install wrong?
    Etc, etc, etc.

Keep you up on what happens and I hope GM has learned it's lessons and
    maybe respects us taxpayers for keeping their butts out of the ditch?

Doc
  • iff_guruiff_guru Member Posts: 1
    I hae a 2005 Trailblazer with 97,000 miles and am now having problems with the speedometer sticking, jumping to 120 miles per hr, etc. I am seeing a lot of posts about this being an known issue and I am wondering if there is a way to get this fixed without having to pay for it. I have had a few problems with GM not wanting to cover the items even when they were under warranty. I love truck, but an nervous with seeing what everyone is saying. I am in the Navy and if anyones knows how I can get this fixed and not get screwed over, please let me know. Thanks!!!
    Here is the deal straight from the GM horses mouth.
    I have the same problem. They responded to me after posting questions and reading the negative feedback from this blog and seemed in the first 2 emails to me that they were going to work with me even if I had to pay half or actual costs, that's what I offered them.
    Then I got a call from GM and they said:
    "we know of the problem and it is a manufacturers problem. it is an outsourced part. they will not stand behind their product after the original warranty expires even though they know they made a faulty part. sorry."

So we are all on our own.
    I suggest:
    After the tax payer pulled GM [non-permissible content removed] out of bankruptcy that was caused by poor management and extreme salaries for exec's, we should boycott GM and any product they make.
    All the American car mfg's are the same. I for one am going with the import car mfg's from here on out. I've never found a blog with a foreign car with these types of problems that GM has on EVERY MAKE AND MODEL they produce in some respect or another.

Goodbye GM, I'll pass my experience to every car purchaser I run into. It's sad an American company saved by the tax payer won't stand behind a poorly manufactured product.

And when they email you don't even for a minute that they are going to help you, they are not.

Cya
    Doc
  • justin56justin56 Member Posts: 1
    FYI,
    I am in the middle of dealing with the same issue as the other 5,000 people here, and the gentlemen that runs the below website was very helpful and willing to answer my questions, even though I haven't even ordered anything from him yet.
    Seems that GM could take a note or two from this guy.

http://drspeedometer.com/
    Wow, thanks and a hearty helping of thanks for the Edmunds site with this blog in it. We would have never gotten anywhere without it.

Justin, I'm going to go to my mechanic and ask what the costs are to remove and replace the cluster if I provide the replacement/rebuilt unit.

By spending @ $250 or so (I'm just guessing at the total costs) GM could have made tens of thousands of customers happy and have kept them in the herd but as we have seen, they don't give a s**t about us, only our money.

Waiting till they fall to their knees again and hoping the government won't be as foolish as Bush was and bail the bastar*s out.
    They need to be broken up into separate companies.
    Cadillac
    Chevrolet
    GMC
    Etc
    Etc

F Them
    Doc
  • amyfajamyfaj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy Trail blazer that I bought in 2006. It did have high miles when I bought it (64k). Soon after the gas gauge went crazy. Then a few months later the speedometer went out. Now my RPM gauge is not working and I think the thermostat gauge is next. I have contacted several dealers in the area only to get prices. Each time the dealership knows exactly what the problem is. But funny, there is no recall!!! What a joke. The quotes I have gotten are anywhere from $475 - $575! OMG!! I can't afford that! I can't wait for this to be paid off so I can get a new vehicle. Never again will I buy a Chevy!!! NEVER!! :lemon:
    Join the club, The GM will Club you to death after buying their product!
    There is a message posted in this forum referring to a speedometer doctor or doctor speedometer.
    I contacted him and am going to pursue getting my cluster rebuilt by him for @ $189.00 or so.
    I have to get my car to my mechanic and work out a schedule where I can get the useless Chevy part out, overnight it to him, have him do a 24 hour turn around and ship it back to me overnight.
    I'll be without my car for 3 days but it's worth it.
    It'll be even more pleasureful to get rid of this Chevy product. POS regarding the inst. cluster.
    I'm going imported from here on out. Americans cannot build a consistent quality auto. None of them, period.

Doc
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you people been watching the news!

I know why GM puts out a pterodactyl poop for a car!

They have film footage of UAW workers on break drinking alcohol and smoking pot. Can you believe it! And then they go back and assemble our cars? WTF!

What an embarrassment for GM. And another reason I'll go foreign next time.
    Every American auto maker uses the same slouches, the UAW, paid $50 to $75 bucks an hour including benefits and they let them go out and get drunk and doped up before they come back into the plant to assemble our future cars.

I understand it all now.

Doc