Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• ymmot11ymmot11 Member Posts: 8
    I had to have them replaced about 24K ago and unfortunately I had also missed my warranty date/miles. It was relatively affordable at just under $150 for both installed at the dealership and it has completely resolved the issue. At least it works and no more clunking!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    While it is too soon to make a valid judgment, I can say that the Yokohamas seem to be much better in the snow than the departed OEM Bridgestones. I'll update as I put some miles and weather on these Yokohama Avid Envigors, but so far the choice seems to have been a good one.
    Haven't had any really good snowstorms (unless you count the 1ft of snow we got the other night!) to drive in since I put the Envigors on my SF, but I have a few observations:

1. Tire noise on dry pavement is down and is a different type of noise. Probably the best way to describe it is the noise is less bass--more midrange and a lower volume.

2. Ride has definitely changed and these tires are more sensitive to pressure change than the old Bridgestones. When first put on the pressure was set to 30 psi and the ride was good but felt a little soft. After trying a few different pressures, I set them to 32 psi and the handling is improved, rolling resistance seems to be better, but ride quality got a little harsher but acceptable. To get the same effect on the old Bridestones would have required going to at least 34-35 psi. 32psi seems like my sweet spot for these new tires.

3. Whether it is just psychological or real, my confidence level in driving my SF in bad weather is higher. It just feels more planted and sure-footed.

4. Gas mileage seems to be up some but that is questionable right now due to cold weather and winter gas. The real test for this will come as the weather warms up around here and we get some good gas. I'll drop in again when I have more info to report.

;)
  • loraine3loraine3 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what problems would be caused with a oil pump failure after they say it is fixed in a 2010 Sante fe with only 6000 miles on it?
  • birdman15birdman15 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2004 santa fe 60000 k miles when it is hot and sets for 15-20 min. it turns over but will not start for 3-5 sec. then it will start as i go to take off the car will sputer 3 times then run ok dealer changed fuel pump fuel regulator checked for vacume leaks . no change. thay checked with hyundai no help has this happened to anyone? help
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    I have a 2008 Santa Fe with LG navigation. I was wondering if anyone out there has done the update with MapnSoft. My version is 3 years old but I would really like to know if there is any real value to doing the update before spending $199 net That's very expensive. I called MapnSoft and really could not get any information from them as to the value of the update.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think so. For one thing, very few street changes take place in 3 years unless you live in BoomVille somewhere, and even then, you probably know these changes.

Secondly, for $199 you could navigate easily with a smartphone plugged into your MP3 input. True the screen would be small but you'd have audible directions through your speakers. Verizon's NAV is free with their phones and it's a *great* system. AND there's never an update needed--it's all automatically done.

Last of all, you might check into the cost of aftermarket, in-dash NAV and balance that cost against the $199. As you know, there's nothing as old as old tech.
  • patishapatisha Member Posts: 1
    I parked my 2009 santa fe in my driveway and as I was getting out of the vehicle it started to move and it dragged me sown my driveway and down a hill and into a tree. Of course the dealership can't find anything. As a result I fractured my tibia. I never had any accidents or tickets. Did anyone else have a problem with their vehicle moving while in park?
  • goramsblazersgoramsblazers Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Dash Board Airbag Indicator - We brought our 2009 Santa FE to the dealership because the airbag light stayed on. Seems a plastic water bottle rolled under the passenger seat; the dealer said that when we slid the seat forward the airbag sensor wiring was severed. Parts estimate is $800 plus; labor estimate $560 to $600. Dealer offered to pay for parts; we pay labor. Has anyone had this issue and is the price estimate resonable?
  • alj007alj007 Member Posts: 4
    This will be a top 10 mistake, but not too proud to ask for some help!!! I have a 2007 GLS and when I tried to replace the Cabin Air Filter, the tabs broke off. Yes, all 4 of them. Any idea how to get the door off to get at the filter? Is this a single replacement item if I have to remove it the barbaric way or is the door a combination piece with the entire housing?
    Thanks for all replies.
  • omar6575omar6575 Member Posts: 24
    i did the same mistake instead of squeeze the tab, i pull it and broke it.

OK, first thing to do is to remove the glove compartment door limiters and the single slider on the right , there are two limiters on each side. it allows the door to hang freely, more room to work.

your going to need either a smalll needle nose plyers or a very small screw drive.

with the screw driver pry on top of the cover near the broken tab, pull the tab up. do the same for the left upper tab. the bottom tabs are fairly easy to reach. once pry the tabs pull the tray out.

the tray cost about $13 at the dealer ship. to be honest if you master the technique with these tools you wont need to buy another tray. the tray still will work with out the broken taps,

hope this helps. :)
  • shawntshawnt Member Posts: 7
    Any luck on getting this fixed?
  • wachsfwachsf Member Posts: 9
    My wife's 2008 Santa Fe with only 13,000 miles had the same problem. The car went into limp mode and she had to restart the engine to get going again. I drove the car later that night and it happened to me 3 more times, with the Electronic Stability Control, All Wheel Drive, and Malfunction Indicator Lamp all lit up simultaneously.

I called Hyundai Roadside Assistance, and they arranged for a flatbed to tow it to the nearest dealer even later that night. Two days later, the dealer replaced the Throttle Position Sensor per TSB, and reprogrammed the ECM. The repair and tow were both covered under warranty. I am very satisfied with the service from Hyundai Roadside Assistance.

We haven't used up a tank of gas since the repair, but the average fuel economy has improved from 17 mpg to 19 mpg (she does mostly city/country driving).
  • monkeyboy3monkeyboy3 Member Posts: 2
    My girlfriend and I have just moved to Seattle and are after a car for moutain biking and getting to the mountains and think the Santa Fe fits the bill.

We've found a 2003 2.4l 4 cylinder Santa Fe with 137k on the clock that is listed for $7000 (I think we can haggle down to about $5700). The car seems in pretty good nick.

But I have a couple of concerns that I was hoping you guys could help me with (please excuse my general car ignorance):

1) The coolant level was quite low (are leaks quite common? as long as we keep it topped up is that ok? or is this indicative of something else?)

2) There was a small leak of a red transparent oil coming from approximately the middle of the engine and running along a seam (is this the crank case??). Is this just a bit of engine oil or is transmission oil? I've looked at the reviews on this site and most people love the Santa Fe, but the ones who don't have had problems with the transmission. Is this indicative of a major problem, or is small leak ok and perhaps expected in an older car? I had a look at the engine oil on the dipstick and this seemed to be a similar red colour.

Cheers.
  • natesbugnatesbug Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same issue...I have a 4 wheel drive 2002 Santa Fe, and they have to keep tearing down part of my transmission and repairing the seals on them, because they leak.....I think its a defect. But I can't find enough people having the same issues that I am having.
  • santafeowner1santafeowner1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same exact problem. The dealership wanted to oil the caliper which I have never heard of so I took it to my mechanic whom had to replace the back breaks and rotters at 24,000 miles. The best part of all is it was of course not under warranty!
  • suzyq35suzyq35 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem when I pump gas. Sometimes it lets me pump 2 gallons before it shuts off sometime just 1 gallon. I just took it in to my Hyundai dealer and they replaced the fuel cut off valve, but that wasn't the problem. They tried to pump gas and it did the same to them after replacing the part. It cost $120 plus $6 for the part. Now they want me to bring it back for an all day inspection to see what else they can do to try and fix the problem. I want to know if anyone else has this problem and was it fixed? I don't want to take it in and come out broke with still no answer, but all new parts.
  • mn_drivermn_driver Member Posts: 1
    We just had the Throttle Position Sensor replaced (under warranty) on our 2008 Santa Fe AWD with 32,000 miles. The car was surging when we started it in the morning and sometimes when we would pull up to a stoplight. The RPMs would bounce a bit. They also updated the ECM. Hopefully this helps anybody having the same symptoms.
  • aloftyladyaloftylady Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2008 Santa Fe with about 75,000 miles. I've had no issues with my car, knock on wood, and really do enjoy driving it. I'm very good about maintenance, and I like and feel confident about the service I get at my dealership. I pretty much evaluate their recommendations after a service and typically follow through because I feel they are in line with the manufacturer's recommendations. Recently, they made a recommendation that the vehicle needed a power steering system fluid exchange, as their inspection revealed that the power steering fluid is "dirty/contaminated". I would expect that from a 3 year old vehicle. I've checked my use and care manual, and it does not list this as a recommended routine service. I'm not experiencing any problems with my power steering...no noises, etc. However, I don't want any problems either. I do a fair amount of weekly highway driving, and our NH winters can be harsh. I'm wondering if this is really a necessary service for something that is not currently a problem. What are your thoughts on the priority of this recommendation? How routine is it? Thanks for helping me sort this out!

Aloftylady
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    Hi "Aloftylady"~
    Like any other fluid in your vehicle, the power steering fluid does break down and get dirty. The question is does it need to be changed? In my opinion, I think it's a good idea to replace it. There are tiny amounts of metal that break down from the moving parts within the steering hydraulic system. These will contaminate the fluid and can cause wear. Having it changed is good insurance that you won't have any trouble down the road.
    One of the tricks I've used in the past, is placing a steel fuel filter in the return line of the hydraulic hoses that run from the PS pump. This will catch a lot of the metal chips that can be present in the system. This was especially an issue with '80's GM vehicles, as they had bad steering racks and the metal chips would eat up the PS pumps. Then you would have to replace the pump and the rack. Very expensive, indeed.
  • tany1tany1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I have a problem and I'm hoping someone can help:

A couple of weeks ago we had really heavy rain and I got stuck into a flooded street, got water all the way up to the middle of the doors, water inside the car, until it finally stopped, got all the lights on, but car would not start, we were expecting it was because it had gotten wet,

We waited until the next day but engine would not start, It does not give us the Check engine light, and mechanic says it does not have the ignition spark.

In the attempt to get it to start, they have tested the computer and it works, we tried changing it and nothing, we changed the ignition module, we reviewed the entire "harness" and it shows charge everywhere its supposed to, really do not know where else to look...

Any ideas if this car has some kind of sensor or plug that is sensitive to moisture or humidity that might be preventing the car to start?

REALLY REALLY WILL APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET!
  • kukskuks Member Posts: 3
    I have a problem with my hyundai santafe 2007.When am driving, the gear changes alright but when it gets to the third gear it does not move again.Thus it does not move to fourth or fifth gear or move back to second or first when i slow down or even stop.i have to always reset it for it to start all over again but still stops at the third gear.Does any one have any ideal.I have changed the transmission oil and the input and out put sensor for the gear.

Thank you
    have your technician do a( freeze frame data on your cars ecu,) it sounds like your crankshaft position sensor its not reading properly, with out that signal the ecu can't start the engine.
    can you shift tru all gears manually ( manual mode).

if you can,
    it sounds like your have a bad solenoid in your transmissions valve body.

if you are under warranty you need to have it check

there is a big chance your adaptive shift logic is not holding the program, that's why when you re-start the car it runs ok.

how many miles do you currently have?
    it is an automatic gear transmission. So it shifts by itself and stops at the third gear. It is however able to shift to reverse when it gets stack at the third gear. when I stop it still remains at the third gear until i reset it.and by the way am able to know that it is on the third gear by shift to the semi manual mode,

thank you
    I am not able to shift thru the gears when on a maual mode when it gets stack at the third gear.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    I am very disappointed in the lack of activity on the Hyundai Forums.
    I have seen posts that go unresponded to for weeks, even months.
    I joined an ACURA MDX Forum back in 2000 that a posting usually generated a half dozen responses before the day was over. Is there a different breed that purchases the Japanese product over the Korean or has the amount of knowledge to be shared ?

I posted a question dealing with Climate Control on the Sante Fe Forum over a month ago and the only response I got was another issue. This Forum can be a valuable tool, but you need to be willing to participate and share your input.
    edited July 2011
    You can also try our ANSWERS department. That's usually pretty active.

You have to remember that this topic is pretty specific--it tries to solicit only 2007+ Sante Fe owners, so it's a narrowly-focused topic.

Visiting Host from Answers
    Sorry you missed my whole point. I don't know how many Hyundai Sante Fe owners belong to the Forums, but with the huge spike in that models sales the last few years, there should be a couple of thousand prospective posters.
    As near as I can calculate, there were only 13 posts to all the Sante Fe Threads last week, including mine and yours. Often you see an issue or question posted and no one replies or it comes several weeks/months later.
    You moderators should have to contribute, only on rare occasions.

I'm not sure why my last post went to the Maintainence and Repair Thread, but I had hoped that my viewpoints on participation would generate increased input from Forum members. Could you please move it to somewhere where it might be more visable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Owners tend to subscribe to existing discussions and overlook new ones. Maybe people aren't posting much in here because they aren't having repair issues? :shades:
    The 2010-2011 Sante Fe transmission issues seem to be the "bigee" this past year based on owner's postings. I feel a lot of us owners share those problems and don't realize it since you don't expect that with a newer vehicle.
    I tend to agree with your Host here. People come here often to complain and to solicit solutions to problems. If there are no problems, then you'll often find the Santa Fe owners in other types of topics---buying, leasing, etc., or a particular issue where they all pile in.

One reason we started ANSWERS was to help people who needed ONE answer ONE time RIGHT AWAY. So we are certainly trying to fill all the gaps.
    I could not agree with you more. I posted a question regarding the value of the Mapnsoft update for the 2008 Santa Fe LG navigation(the map version is dated 2007) and got 1 response telling me to buy a Garmin. I find it hard to believe nobody on this forum has purchased the update and can give an opinion of it's value.
    Have you tried THIS SANTA FE TOPIC?
    13 posts in a week in ALL Sante Fe posts speaks for itself ?

Not too many concerns about buying/leasing etc.
    Well you could have bought Car X and you'd be on the keyboard all day. :P
  • edgarnpedgarnp Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys, do you have any other ideas on this same problem? I got the same a couple of months ago, and the workshop is telling me that only after 30000 miles, I need to replace the full transmission with a new one. Odd enough, they tell me that will sell me a brand new one at cost price and will install it covering the labor costs. Not sure if this happened to anyone else, but seems to me they cannot be doing these flimsy transmissions if they really want to honor a 40000 miles / 7 years guarantee as they are offering in Panama right now. Any inputs are VERY welcome. Thanks!
  • reggieburrisreggieburris Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my 2011 Sante Fe Limited 3.5L AWD on the Washington Beltway last Thursday late at night close to 12:00 am when my truck stalled and the engine light came on.

It stalled after I heard a subtle clunk then the gas paddle went dead - no matter hard I pressed it the truck would not accelerate so I carefully pulled the car off of the busy Interstate with a big tractor trailer barrelling down on me. The truck was still running when I pulled over but it would not accelerate. I turned it off, waited a few minutes, re-started it, then it accelerated, however with the engine still on.

The next morning the engine light went off. I didn't drive it again until yesterday. While on the Beltway again this time in Maryland the truck exhibited the same behavior. Mind you - I drive 49 miles to work one-way and I was in the left lane with usual Washington Beltway traffic and this truck is dying on my. I was within 7 miles from work and successfully pulled over. The engine was still running but although I turned the car on and off multiple times - it would not accelerate. Finally after about 5 agonizing minutes, it started, accelerated and I was able to go to work.

Coming back that night while traveling through DC on I295 it did it again and I pulled over while in a bad, bad neighborhood, luckily cops were around while I coasted to a stop hoping the truck would gain momentum but it didn't. After a minute or so, I restarted it and I made it home to Virginia.

My son works at a Hyundai dealer so I he took it in this morning and they said it was a throttle body issue and they ordered the part and will fix it tomorrow. I am dissapointed. I've owned 10 Hondas and never, ever experienced anything like this. My Hondas weren't perfect but none of them ever experienced any issue like this.

I also experienced my 2010 Genesis brake lights switch go bad and power driver seat short out, so it's just not the Sante Fe.

I guess no matter what you say about Honda, they just have an edge over Hyundai in quality control although they cost more.

I doesn't bode well for my future decision to buy other products from Hyundai. I shouldn't have a 2011 anything, put me down on any road, anywhere.
    Sounds like it's the Throttle Position Sensor. I had the same problem as many people did on my 2008 Santa Fe Limited AWD. While I did get stuck and had to have it flat bedded to the dealer, it is the only problem I've had in 3 years and 40k miles

This is my third Hyundai. I purchased a new 2000 Tiburon for my son in college. He then passed it on to my younger son. 5 years economical and trouble free service. In 2003 I purchased a new Tiburon V6 GT for my wife. Even though it was the first year of that model it is now 8 years old and has been completely trouble free. Okay, the sliding sunroof inside shade is no longer attached to the sunroof so you have to slide it open by hand and the radio display washes out sometimes. That's it. And I still have over 2 years left on my warranty.

Last month my best friends daughter was in a head on collision at 40 mph in her 2007 Santa Fe when a Honda driver bent down to get his cell phone or something and swerved into oncoming traffic. The Santa Fe did everything it was supposed to. Engine dropped, front end crumpled, airbags deployed. A little bruised and a lot shaken up, she walked away without a scratch. One week later she bought a new 2011 Santa Fe.

My point is while it is unfortunate you have had some problems with your Hyundai's I want you to realize in my experience these are very well engineered safe and reliable vehicles. I'm sure once these items are fixed you will have many miles of trouble free service.
  • lvoierslvoiers Member Posts: 2
    Have 2007 Santa Fe w/ 33,000 miles. I'm original owner. Drive 15 miles to and from work on city highway, plus in town driving. No off roading, now towing. At 3000 miles, noticed wobble in steering wheel, front end, Took to dealership, couoldn't find anything. At 20K, noticed front left rattle and klunking noise on uneven pavement, right side was fine. At 26k, bought 4 new tires and all wheel alignment b/c inner edge of left front tire was worn to belt(?), almost disentegrated. Still wobbly plus vibration at various speeds, nothing consistent. At 30,500, dealership replaced sway bars and links, repacked wheels bearings. Crappy job. Took back to dealership w/ 31,500 miles. Rpacked wheel bearings, Ball joints(?), recalibrated and retorqued (?) all wheels/tires to Hyundai specifications. Drove like a new car...for 3 days. All rattles, wobbles, vibrations and wonky steering returned. No problem with this service advisor/dealership. Any ideas? Sub-frame not machined properly at factory? Do I need new front axle assembly, front end, struts? Please help me! Thanks!
    Sounds like you need to contact a factory rep.
    have them check your struts, if the car ran good for 3 days, whenever the vehicle is off the ground, depending how your driving it takes a day or two to settle, please also look into your strut mount plate and bearing on top,

this cars have issues with their lower ball joints, check tsb on santa fe 07-09 :)
  • lvoierslvoiers Member Posts: 2
    I agree. After visiting the NHTSA website and researching complaints, service bulletins. I am now prepared to go to dealer on Monday and request that every part from the sub-frame up be replaced with brand new Hyundai parts. Ball joints, wheel bearings, struts, tie rods, sway bars and links, wheels, etc. whatever is needed. Don't want to be quinea pig while Hyundai figures it out. Suggest that all 2007 Santa Fe owners do the same. No camber kits, or after market adjustments accepted. Thank you!
  • empowernvempowernv Member Posts: 3
    Hello -
    I've owned this Santa Fe for about 6 months and a week ago this issue started:
    When I park and turn off car and remove key, radio stays on and the door chime sounds as if the key is still in and the car is in ACC. It's not! The key is in LOCK and removed.

The key fob will not lock the doors in this condition so I am locking them manually from inside.

After a little while I can use the key fob to lock the car (lights flash, etc) and I can also unlock it (door chime stops).

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance
    Hmmm...maybe a stuck relay. I was going to say a defective door sensor but that wouldn't account for the radio staying on. You'd probably need a wiring diagram to figure out if the radio and door chime are on the same circuit, and if so, what control that circuit.
    You have a defective ignition lock, behind the cylinder you have a (key-sense) device, for some reason your key-sense is detecting the presence of a key in the lock cylinder. did you add a remote start module to your truck?
    if not you need to have this issued repaired tru the warranty,

there is a chance the service dept. have to issued a new key for your ignition.

:shades:
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Why not simply return to the dealer and have them repair it :confuse:
  • cherrmancherrman Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2007 santa fe the driver side fog light is burned out. the owners manual says to take to dealer for replacement. I just need to know how to get to it. Its a light bulb how hard can it be? I don't want to pay the dealer to change a bulb.
    Thanks for any help
    If you are mechanically-inclined, it can be done. You need to go up under the wheel well and remove a few snap fasteners to allow you to pull the liner away and then you can get access to the foglight housing. If you go to www.hmaservice.com and login there, you can get detailed instructions on how to do it. I have done it on both sides on my 08 SF and it is not difficult, but can be a little frustrating. Good luck.
  • sen1sen1 Member Posts: 23
    Anybody know how to do that?