Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• sen1sen1 Member Posts: 23
    re Head rests. I should have said it is a 2011 Santa Fe.
  • mrmagoo1mrmagoo1 Member Posts: 15
    Recently had oxygen sensor replaced. Check eng light was on, now out. At same time dealer said Rt Ft Balljoint should be replaced. Have others had similar problems. I see posting re front suspension.
    Thanks.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    Did you ever find out how to remove the rear headrest ? You could always use bolt cutters.

Guess no one wants to be a First Responder.
  • btj1btj1 Member Posts: 6
    On my 2004 you just push in the buttons where the head rests go into the rear seat top and pull them out?? Plastic little buttons on the top of the seat that allows you to adjust them also. Push in and pull them all the way out.
    The push buttons let you raise and remove the headrest.
    They collapse real nice when you lower the seats but won't budge otherwise.
  • sen1sen1 Member Posts: 23
    OK, I finally got them out. The button is at the hole where the two chrome like support rods go down into the seat back. You push the sliding button part towards the rod. Then, you have to get tough with the head rest and really pull hard to get it out. Then, to my surprise there is a long black cable attached to one of the support rods. I may cut it off. Right now the head rests are dangling behind the seat back. Rearward visibilty has increased 100 %.
  • pen2guin3pen2guin3 Member Posts: 5
    I know I'm probably in the wrong section considering my Santa Fe is a 2004 but this section seems to have the latest/most responses. OK - first thing first I have a 2004 Santa Fe (4 cyl 2.7 L FWD) with only 42,000 miles on it. Coming from home work roughly doing 25 - 35mph my car all of a suddenly stalls - coasting to a stop (while crossing a very busy intersection I might add). After putting it in park I try to restart it - the engine cranks over as usual and starts but roughly 4 to 7 seconds afterwards it stalls again. I did this 4 or 5 times again with the same results. I'm almost positive the check engine light is on. The next day I popped the hood to see if the belt broke but its fine so I tried to start it again (same results engine starts but after 4 to 7 sec. stalls again). Before this engine trouble I haven't had one ounce of trouble from my Santa Fe. Not to be funny but yes there is a half a tank of gas in it...lol.. with plenty of fluids in it. After some research I kind of think its the Crank-shaft sensor (seems to be a problem with them in the Santa Fe's). Does anyone have the same issue and/or solution before I finally take it in to the dealership...? Thanks......
  • btj1btj1 Member Posts: 6
    I had something simular with my 2004. I took it in and it was the throttle control "Something". Mine was under warranty and they just fixed it. It didn't die on me but it spit and sputtered all the way home and I could only go about 35 mph. Hope this helps?
    You are definitely in the wrong Forum if this is the first problem you have had with a 2004.
    T he newer model boast a different engine and transmission. You can get a quicker/better response if you present your problem to one of the Experts.
    Good Luck
    edited October 2011
    Thanks guys for the quick responses. I really appreciate any and all responses so I can have somewhat of a clue before taking it in to get fixed. Like I mentioned before this is the first time I've had any problems since the day I first bought it. Actually I'd love to hear more of possible causes and/or solutions. When I take it in and get it fixed I'll post back so hopefully it may help someone else out. I guess posting it in the correct forum (sorry) would up my odds of a possible cause and solution. Again guys - thanks so much..!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You say it is a 2.7L 4-cyl...

There is a 2.7L V6, and a separate 4-cylinder (2.4L, I believe, for 2004). Do you know which it is? Hyundai has never put a 2.7L 4-cyl into production.
    I'm sorry I do believe you are correct with it being 2.4L (not that mechanically inclined). Thegraduate do you have any suggestions on what my problem may be...? Any help would be much appreciated.....!
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone had this recall performed on their Fe, installing a Teflon protective covering on the lower portion of the front springs? I had this done about a month ago and am now getting a squeaking noise from the front each time I start and stop. Sounds like the A frame bushings are worn out. It wasn't making this noise prior to the recall. It is very noisy when the weather is cold and damp as it was on a trip I made back east. Here in southern New Mexico it's dry and still warm so the noise isn't as pronounced. There is also a mild popping noise when I turn the wheel full left. Other than that, the car runs great.
    I'm wondering if anyone living in a cold, damp area has heard this same noise after having the maintenance done. Thanks in advance for any input.
    BTW, I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday, but I don't have much hope in getting this resolved. But at least I'll have documentation to show possible problem.
  • mrmagoo1mrmagoo1 Member Posts: 15
    Not had that problem w/mine. You could try NHTSA website for recalls. On that note I had similar problems w/2001 SF and rear suspension rusted and wheel came off while driving. Upon contacting Hyundai Corp. as to why no recalls notices were sent they said "they send recalls intermittently". Nice. They also don't pay for towing or loaner cars.
    I would be keep an eye on the suspension from past experience and also would be interested in dealer's response.
    Good Luck
    Plenty of cold and damp this Fall up here in PA.
    Had recall done 7 weeks ago and nothing is different than before.
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    Took the car into the dealer and they found that the springs were not properly seated. Dealer ticket says "Springs slightly repositioned". Apparently when they removed them to perform the recall, they didn't install them correctly.
    Fe is nice and quiet now. Thanks for all the responses.
  • tito2011tito2011 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the throttle position sensor replaced and ended up with another round of problem. The vehicle slugs and is hard to move when the steering is turned left or right at almost 60 to 90 degrees (when moving forward or reversing).
    Took it to the dealer with initial thought that the AWD was on but nothing was found wrong with the AWD. Eventually had to do rear differential service as the manager thought the oil may be old causing some resistance on the back wheels. He said I should drive it for another 500km and call him if the problem is still there.

Has anybody experienced this or is there anybody with some idea of the problem here? It ts a 2008 Santa Fe with 80,000km and has been a good boy until this.
    edited December 2011
    Had the Cabin Filter replaced ( by Dealer) several weeks ago as per mileage recommendation (21,000). The wife just noticed recently an offensive, musty odor when the blower is on, both in outside and re circulating modes. Bothers her more than me, but I do notice it.
    Not sure why it wasn't noticed right after install. The air quality was never a problem with original Filter.
    Should I pull it and check it myself --- I dread going back to the dealer 4 weeks later.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Won't be the first time someone has put it in backwards.
  • magoo43magoo43 Member Posts: 4
    I would remove filter and check, it is a simple operation, it is shown in owner's manual. Maybe they "forgot" to put in a new filter (I am not a dealer repair booster). Good luck.
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2011
    Or perhaps the filter got wet in shipping unbeknownst to the dealer. If you don't want to take it back to dealer, just buy another and pop it in.

(I would never have a dealer replace a cabin air filter - they tend to charge more than double the price you could get from an auto supply place)
    shoot, we've had people in the forums who had cabin filters replaced in cars that didn't even have cabin filters! :P
  • geobcongeobcon Member Posts: 11
    The MPG, when having first purchased the Hyundai Santa Fe, was upwards of 25.5 on trips and around 22 to 23 in the city driving.
    This was the prime reason I got rid of my Dodge Dakota which was giving me 16MPG/18MPG city/highway respectively.
    My total driven miles since the lease of my Santa Fe are 3800 +/- as of 12/12/11.

About a week ago, 12/05/11, the MPG had decreased to 19.0 MPG on trips and very little change in city driving.
    I filled the tank and noted that the MPG reading went back up to 24.0 MPG for a few miles then dropped back to 19.0 MPG whether I was on the road at a constant 60 MPH or driving in the city at 30 MPH
    Checking the actual miles driven since the last fill-up (on 12/12/11) with the gallons of gas consumed, i.e. Miles/Gallons used, the MPG calculated to 18.0 MPG. Why??
    The odometer resets the MPG after fill up. I’m up to 19.8MPG having driven 3 miles from the gas station and will continue to monitor the MPG to see if it reaches the expected MPG (the reason I purchased a Hyundai)

I brought the car to the dealership (where leased on 09/12/11) to have the problem checked and they weren’t able to find any problem other than the tire pressure was down by 3 psi. Our temp had fallen to below freezing that day but even so, when the problem first occurred, the temp was in the 60’s.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and if so, is there a solution?
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    Usually, I know it's time to change ours when it starts getting stinky. My wife says it smells like "dirty socks". I change it once a year, just before summer. I also spray a deoderizer/disinfectant specifically made for automotive HVAC systems, into all the vents BEFORE I replace the filter. Helps kill any "bugs" and "dirty sock" smells. Then it smells as fresh as a daisy!!
    Give it a shot....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2011
    What kind of daisy - a benzene one or perhaps a phthalates one? :shades:

I'd consider using something like BG Frigi-Fresh if I had mold in my HVAC but not on a regular basis.
    Actually, the Cabin smelled better before the replacement. Spent the weekend in the Hospital so I haven't had a chance to pull the new one.

The deodorant is not an option since most remind you of Restrooms.
    If unable to obtain satisfaction from the dealer on problems with a leased 2011 Hyundai,
    Where does one one further direct it's complaints?
  • agouletagoulet Member Posts: 2
    This is going to be a long one, and I hate to post it but I am pretty disappointed in the dealer where I purchased the car and would like them to finally admit there is a problem with my car! I have been going in for the past year and telling them the same thing every time. Their response to me is simply we can not diagnose what we cannot duplicate. this all came to a head lastnight when I tried to push on the gas pedal and nothing happened. It was all I could do to curse and put the car in reverse and let it idle me back to my driveway. Luckily I was in the near my house and not somewhere remote as it took 2.5 hours for the Hyundai Roadside assistance company to show up, which in this case was someone from CAA. Yup I am in Canada. I could see those response times in a snow storm, but I could be driving my motorcycle as there is no snow on the ground.

I have gone in and told them that I was driving on the 401 and went to make a lane change and accelerate when all of a sudden, I had nothing, no power behind me and making a change to the fast lane with someone barreling down on me at 120km/h, the engine then got supply of gas or kicked in after a few seconds of hesitation. The dealers response...Ya thats the way the transmission works. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Other than that it has been apparently routine maintenance they are hosing me with. Tranny flush, fuel injection, power steering, brake fluid, coolant flush, cleaning service for the brakes that prolongs life (ya right see how that works for me). All of these things you would expect a car running in top shape. not so much for this Sante Fe.

Needless to say I am not very impressed. When I mentioned to the service manager that I researched online what the problems could be I have been having he responded with 99% of the time the blogs are wrong and dont know what they are talking about. Googling my engine problems I found various things from Fuel Pressure regulator to EGR valves and maybe a throttle position sensor. The Service Manager also told me that my Sante Fe doesnt have an EGR valve, I said ok fine I am not the mechanic but can you give me something other than duh well the computer didnt show anything so everything is fine!

I am not imagining these things they really do happen to my car.

Anyone able to help me out or tell me a better Hyundai dealer in the Ottawa area to go to?
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    Sounds like the throttle position sensor.
  • wachsfwachsf Member Posts: 9
    If you get the Check Engine light, then I would think it's the Throttle Position Sensor. Someone posted the details of the Technical Service Bulletin here:
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/186-entourage-forum/110599-tps-tsb.html

The TSB would only go into effect if the computer has stored the trouble codes to confirm that the TPS is defective. It sounds like your dealer either didn't see those codes, or didn't bother to try to read them.

But if you don't have the Check Engine light, then it could be a TPS, a faulty wire harness, or even a transmission problem.
  • gabsdadgabsdad Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 07 Santa Fe about 6 months ago. We are having the same problem with the floor not receiving heat. I had the vehicle to the dealer today and they are telling me that there is a piece of duct work that is missing. They are ordering it, cost about $25. What did you discover was the problem with yours? Same missin duct work? thanks.
  • parentonceparentonce Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have just started having headlight dimming issues while braking. Some flickering while not braking started last night. Also, some lights were flickering along the clock and radio mid-panel a few weeks ago. This is after I have replaced the altenator, the fuel gauge no longer worked ($500+ for a new one last month), the rear-view mirror broke off, visors fixed, paint coming off the roof, steering wheel column buttons not working, and many other problems. I would love to hear any information about working with the BBB, or other agencies. My car is no longer under warranty, so the repair costs are adding up fast.
  • omar6575omar6575 Member Posts: 24
    this cars are truly expensive to repair. you need to look into an aftermarket warranty coverage for this truck, there are a lot of components on the awd version that only the dealer ship can service... (esc, awd tranfer case and coupler, abs ) in regards of your lights, you need to be sure you have the correct amps for your altenator. also may need to check your battery terminal for corrosion.
    the worst thing that could be is the body control module under your driver side dash. if the work was done tru a dealer, you need to have them troubleshoot their work. there are problems with the clock spring for the 07-09 santa fe , its probably the reason why those items do not work.
  • parentonceparentonce Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your quick response. :) I will look into the amps. That could very well be it. I had to have a AAA repair shop replace the alternator in my vehicle in a small town while vacationing.
  • santefeboundsantefebound Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sante Fe and the exterior paint started peeling off of the hood and has rapidly advanced to both fenders as well as the top of the vehicle. Does anyone know of any recalls for the paint. Thanks.
  • vjrao1vjrao1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 santa fe used to give 340 miles per full tank. now it's at 250 miles. Basically makes the vehicle unusable for my purpose. The vehicle is covered under warranty but Hyundai claims the vehicle is performing 'as expected'. Last time I am buying a Hyundai
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    Have you measured the range - or is that what the gauge says? I'm not sure how accurate the gauge is.
    I'm using the actual odometer reading to calculate the miles driven until fill up. I.e. diference between readings at last fill-up and the present fill-up then dividing it by the gallons to fill-up.
  • pleaseadvisepleaseadvise Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, V6, 2.7L. Bought it used a year ago. All was OK until I started using the A/C a few months later--noticed very small, metallic(?) flecks in red/green/silver, only visible in sunlight. They were all over the dash panel--actually, I noticed it stuck to all the plastic inserts in the dash and armrests. Service said the plastic was a hard rubber w/ a spray-over to look like plastic, and that possibly when worn down the metallic flecks in the spray-over would show? When I wore body lotion these flecks stuck to my forearms, legs, clothes, etc. It was everywhere! I had a body shop remove all of the plastic inserts, remove the spray-over and repaint them--then detail the inside of car throroughly. Cost me a bundle--all was OK until I turned on the A/C and front windshield defroster, and the specks were all over the dash again. Is this a byproduct of the AC coolant? Is is something in the compressor or in the air ducts, a sealant the factory puts on that breaks down with time?? I have new cabin filters installed, my car did not have them when purchased (2003 and 2004 models don't come with them factory installed I've since learned--from this site!!). I don't think that the over-spray paint in the passenger compartment was ever a problem---I used Armorall all over the interior surfaces when I bought the car, and I think the metallic flecks imbedded themselves into the plastic surfaces. I AM GOING TO SELL THIS CAR...but I don't know what to buy. I'm worried this will happen with other cars, too, and this is my only complaint with my Santa Fe (I love it otherwise). I went to a Hyundai lot and looked at a a 2011 and 2012 Santa Fe---GUESS SWHAT?? Speckles on their dashboards! I noticed the metallic(?) speckles in a 2006 Tuscon, a 2005 Santa Fe, even in a 2006 Honda CRV. Is this a problem with all Japanese cars....I'm going to look at some American-made models (Ha!) and see if this problems affects these, too. If you have any suggestions or know what these speckles are, please let me know. They glint in the sunlight----if you dryclean your clothes, they come off. If you have any body lotion on, they adhere to your clothes and DO NOT COME OFF IN THE WASHING MACHINE, AS THEY'RE IMBEDDED INTO THE FABRIC. Weird!!! PLEASE ADVISE!!!
  • jodes97jodes97 Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if you guys can help me out, but I have a 2003 Sante Fe with the 2.7L V6 engine. Within a year of getting new spark plugs and wires, I had another major issue with this vehicle.

After 221 thousand km's and change, I have no power, and it is burning a lot of oil and the exhaust is almost white in color. The engine itself runs quiet. There is no oil in the coolant either.

The nearest Hyundai dealership is over two hours away, so I had no choice but to take it to a local mechanic who said he needed to do a compression test, but wasn't sure if that would be the issue, that itself would be $300 on top of the 200 I paid just for him to look at it. I thanked him for his time and took the vehicle home, since it was sounding like it was going to be in the 1000's of dollars to repair.

Fast forward a few months later I took it to our local high school where they checked the timing chain (had been done about 80,000 km before) and that was fine, they also did the compression test, and he said that was in normal parameters as well. Since they didn't work on a lot of imports, there was nothing else they could find.

My other mechanic friend says that it could be the head gasket.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • oceang2oceang2 Member Posts: 40
    I've got a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. I began hearing a grinding noise which sounded like it was coming from the transmission. Did not want this kind of expense but I've got 156,000 miles on the car. The grinding was intermittent when I put the car into park or neutral. Everything was fine when I put the car into drive or reverse and when I drove the car. Smooth shifting during acceleration and it ran fine in the city and on the highway.

I looked on the internet for info and took the car to a couple mechanics but the trans mechs. said it was very strange that the car didn't make the noise when in gear.

Info from the internet pointed towards the starter and flywheel. When all said and done, it was the ignition switch that needed to be replaced. Had I not done a little research, I may have been taken for a whole transmission from someone. Thanks and Kudos to Edmunds.
    I hope this helps someone else if they have the same symptoms.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Great story, thanks for posting.
  • LS37LS37 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe, Limited, purchased new in 2008. Just had the car to the dealer to have the Air Bag recall issue resolved. Got an estimate of over $500.00 to have both of the fuel sending units replaced. I am told this is a VERY common known problem but Hyundai is not covering the repair under warranty. Just curious as to how many other people have run into this issue. The fuel gauge had started acting up so I suspected the sender units were to blame. The repair is not difficult since there are two access doors under the second seat.
  • bgrundmanbgrundman Member Posts: 1
    My wifes Santa Fe has two "reflectors" in the rear of the vehicle, while changing one of her burned out brake light bulbs, I noticed that they don't light up (the reflectors). The screws on them are completely rusted and stripped. My question is, is there a bulb in those reflectors or just reflective material. Thanks
    Recalls are only safety or emissions related and your car is way out of warranty, so I don't think there will be any factory relief for you. Probably your clear coat is deteriorating, and this is usually environmental in nature.
    what happens to the fuel gauge, what problem occur. i have a 2008 santa fe. :surprise:
    well , as i expected, the check engine light did came on, gave me the P0464 trouble code. It was the fuel sending unit was not working properly, my fuel gauge kept going up and down for not apparent reason,
    took it to the dealer and got it fixed under warranty the same day. :)
    Has anyone found a Good Discount source for Hyundai OEM parts and accessories ???
    Stuff like Air Filters, Mud Guards, Door Mirrors ??

Used to have a Dealer that specialized in Offers and contributed to issues when I used to frequent the Acura Forums.
  • supawingsupawing Member Posts: 7
    www.shophyundaiparts.com

I needed to buy a replacement sun visor, reasonable price, came when expected, no problems installing.
    So far, so good
    Had the Sante Fe in last week for an oil change. My Service Advisor came to me with Clipboard in hand with some recommended service in addition to the oil change.
    These were a Coolant Change along with Induction Service each @ around $120. Remember, my vehicle has only 25K. I passed on both and couldn't wait to get home to check my owners docs.
    Couldn't find anything about Induction Service and the first Coolant change should be @ 60K
    Has anyone else run into this and/or know what Induction Service is all about ?