Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• mleone7mleone7 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Sol5,

We picked up our new 07 (with Infinity system) last evening and I noticed the hiss right away. Same results as what you had found. I'm planning on calling the dealer but was wondering if you ever inquired yourself and what they told you the problem may be.

Best Regards,
    Mike
  • sol5sol5 Member Posts: 2
    Sadly I have not followed up with the dealer yet (we just had our second child and life's been a bit hectic!)

I actually hit the forums occasionally on the chance that someone else has had the issue... also my wife's the primary driver and she doesn't seem to mind the hiss ;)

My guess is it's a grounding issue. Will let you know when I finally get it ironed out.

Cheers,
    Sol
  • grandillusiongrandillusion Member Posts: 13
    I got the base CD/MP3 player on my 07 Santa Fe Limited and am having several problems with the MP3 playback. Some only play out of one side of the car (left speakers) while others playback a periodic scratching and or clunking sound (best I can describe it). Dealer claims its a problem with the mp3s but when I was having my car serviced the other day, they gave me a Sonata with an infinity system and the mp3s played just fine. They also play fine in my other two cars. Anyone else seeing this one?
  • bkirk1bkirk1 Member Posts: 21
    I have the 2007 gls Santa fe with the 2.7 v6 automatic I have noticed a lot of road noise from the tires . I have had the dealer check out the noise and they claim it is normal. Does anyone else have this issue.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have the 2007 SE AWD and have noticed the same thing. I think it is more the tires than any defect in the vehicle, but the noise I hear is not that loud. Yours could be louder. You might check with the tire manufacturer and have them check out the tires for defects and another opinion. Good luck.
  • retiredpilotretiredpilot Member Posts: 16
    While I don't have a Santa Fe yet, I am having the same tire noise problem. A tire dealer here in Florida (I am wintering in Panama City Beach) told me the noise was being caused by my tires being "out of round". The fix seems to be "get new tires". My current tires (Goodyear Triple Treads) have about 25K miles on them. I am not going to do anything as I plan on trading the van (2002 Toyota Sienna) for a Santa in the very near future.
    Hope this helps.
  • westvirginiawestvirginia Member Posts: 15
    I have the limited AWD. We took a long trip last weekend and noticed the tire noise depends on the road type. Course asphalt was the worse although it wasn't bad. On concrete it was super quiet. I'm positive it's the type of tires. Overall, of all the cars I haved owned, this is the most smooth and quiet. No wind noise. Absolutely no engine noise.
  • jhoffman720624jhoffman720624 Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks,

I have had my Santa Fe for a week now and it was time to fill up. I was unable to get the gas pump nozzle to seal properly on the fuel tank so I could only pump a small amount of gas at a time. After lots of attempts and trying to insert the nozzle at various angles I gave up. Here in California all the nozzles have the spring-like recovery attachments and they need to seal properly in order to pump gas.

Lots of others were using the same pump and did not experience any problems. Unfortunately this was at Costco and there was no attendent available to talk to.

I eventually left and tried another station and I was able to fill the tank as expected (though the gas was more expensive...).

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a problem with the car?
  • tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    Hmm, I have just filled my new Santa Fe up twice, but this same thing happened to me on my second fill-up. I was eventually able to finish on the same pump with just a bit of delay after figuring out where to hold the pump handle.

Strangely, my first fill-up was completely normal. I think it is possible that the pump I used on the second fill-up had a very new head or nozzle. It looked brand new. Maybe that made a difference, because when I filled up the first time, it was at the same exact station. It might have been the same pump but I wouldn't swear to that.

Ok, at least it is good to know it wasn't just me having trouble with the pump. Of course, it is not good to know that this is a problem I may have again in the future. I pretty much felt like an idiot trying to get my tank filled up! I have enough opportunity to be an idiot all day long that I don't need my vehicle contributing to the problem. :)
  • journey01journey01 Member Posts: 6
    I also have the exact same problem. I took my car back to the dealer, and they were able to duplicate the sound on another santa fe with the upgraded infinity stereo. However, they could not find a solution to the problem. They did suggest that a car audio specialty shop may be able to find the solution.

I have taken the next step of calling Hyundai consumer affairs. They keep trying to tell me that it's just a characteristic of the car that I need to get used to. I've insisted to them that it's actually a defect, and I'm now at the stage where they promise they will get back to me after researching the issue.

At this point, I don't have high hopes at finding a solution through Hyundai. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
  • steph88steph88 Member Posts: 2
    Had my brand new 07 limited with ultimate and touring package all of 2 days before noticing the noise. I would say it's like a high pitched dog whistle and the more you hear it the more it bores a hole in your head. I am on the road all day and listen to my cd's all day. Can't anymore. The dealership has now had my car 11 days - first they claimed they heard the noise, now they're claiming they never heard it. Hyundai refused to authorize a replacement of any parts. They yanked out my fuel pump, all the seats, the carpeting and more. No noise, they say. I say I'm revoking ownership and rejecting a defective new vehicle (per the state atty generals office). Haven't received a reply to that yet... :cry:
    Yep, that's the noise I am hearing. Btw, if they claim they can't hear it, it's much more evident when you listen to the AM stations as heavy bass music tends to drown it out.

I'm about 99% sure that it's some kind of grounding issue. I may bite the bullet and have a third party audio specialty shop look into it. But I'm waiting to hear back from Hyundai first.

If anyone with the upgraded infinity system DOESN'T have the noise, could you please post so that I can tell Hyundai that it's not a normal feature of the car?
  • mleone7mleone7 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

A user on another board sent me this information about the Infinity Stereo hiss: Hyundai Tech Line is aware of the issue and the ticket number for it is 258277. Maybe if enough of us call our dealers and tell them to reference the tech line ticket number, they'll stop with the "oh it's normal" nonsense. Between the hiss being "normal" and the fact that the rest of the trailer wiring harness is "not available yet" I'm getting fed up with my dealership. How can you advertise a "pre-wiring" feature and not sell the rest of the wiring kit yet...but now I'm off topic.
  • canuckercanucker Member Posts: 19
    I have leather in our 07 Santa Fe and over the weekend I folded and locked the rear seats flat in order to transport our MTB bikes inside the vehicle. Well, I now have a nice front to back imprint on the bottom middle seat cushion caused by the back cushion center arm rest/cupholders. Also while the seatbelt buckles retract into the bottom seat cushions they don’t retract enough, they also caused imprints. I’m hoping all these imprints will eventually fade and the next time I fold the seats I will not lock them down flat, it applies to much pressure on all the cushions and buckles. The best thing to do will be to just fold them and use some kind of cushioning material in between them.

Obviously the Santa Fe engineers never tested the rear seats folded flat for an extended period of time.
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    Hi Canucker,

I also have the 07 Santa Fe Limited with leather seats and have noticed the same thing. The imprints go away within a week on mine. I also noticed that I have to make sure the seat belt receptacles are correctly positioned within the little cutouts made for them, so they don't leave an impression.

I find the same thing happens in my Highlander and RX350, which also have leather seats. The imprints always go away on their own.

P.S. I installed a hitch on mine and use a very clever hitch-mounted bike rack (Swagman XC Cross Country) so I don't have to put the bikes inside. They go on and off in about 30 seconds, way faster than putting them inside. Hitch photos

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Touring and Premium packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
  • citadel1citadel1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks, I have my AWD Santa Fe for about one month now. It's a great vehicle. However, It has some "click" noise when I break, I mean, every time when I break, it's very annoying :mad: . The noise goes away after about 10-20 minutes drive. Is it normal? Anyone else has the similar problem? Thx.
  • lzerfinglzerfing Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue with a 2003 Santa Fe and finally used the lemon law to get a 2005 model. It has been fine for a little over a year and now, it is doing the same thing as the 2003. When I am going slow, the engine starts racing and surges forward. I apply the brake and the car does not stop. I have to quickly throw it into neutral and then, sometimes the engine stops racing and sometimes it does not. Dealer has never been able to duplicate the problem and thinks that I am hitting the accelerator by mistake which is definitely not the case. It has only happened to me in drive, never in reverse. I am getting ready to take this car into the dealer. If anyone hears of a fix,, can you let me know. It is very scary when it happens and I have always been afraid that I may hit another car or a pedestrian before I can react and throw it in neutral. Thks
  • lzerfinglzerfing Member Posts: 2
    anthony

Have you heard anymore from your service manager friend about this issue? I am very anxious to find out if Hyundai is finally acknowledging a problem because last year, they never did and now that this 2005 one is having the same problem, I would like to have it fixed and not have to take it back 4 times for the same problem like I did with the 2003 model.

Thks-Zerf
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    Had my brand new 07 limited with ultimate and touring package all of 2 days before noticing the noise. I would say it's like a high pitched dog whistle and the more you hear it the more it bores a hole in your head.

It could be a grounding issue. I had a loose connection inside one of my amplifiers in an old car of mine. It cause engine noise to enter the stereo. As the engine revved, the sound would go up and down in pitch. At highway speeds, since revs usually stay about the same, it was just a nice high pitched whine.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Just got home. Was out test driving the Veracruz. Real nice but thats off topic. Anyway, the shop has had only one Santa with this issue and it turned out to be a vacume line. I was promised that they would continue to look into it. I was told what we see on the Hyundai Webtech site is what Hyundai wants us to see. Although very helpful, its not the whole story. WHATS NEW! Will update as more information is sent my way...
  • neeedvanneeedvan Member Posts: 17
    I took the delivery on 04/02 at night (was forced being the last day for 1750 rebate promotion.) I noticed few scratches on the rear driver side pillar and showed it to sales person. He said it was just the wax left over from buffing and will clean it next day when I come back to pick up papers. He did note it down on delivery papers.

But, scratches didn't go away as they are real scratches and not the wax and now the dealer is telling me that scratches are present in almost all new vehicles they will try to touch them up.

What options do I have? Can I forced them for exchange?

Thanks
  • gangsplattgangsplatt Member Posts: 11
    Sounds like this dealership has questionable customer service.

When I bought my new Santa Fe last November there was a small chip on the driver side door. I didn't even notice it, my salesman pointed it out and said they'd take care of it just setup an appointment with service. I called the service dept. a few days later and they gave me a couple of options. One was to drop it off for a few days and they'd bring it to the body shop they work with. Second option was to try one of the touch up sticks which is what I choose. If I didn't like how it turned out they said to bring it in and they get it done professionally.

I'd start with talking to the GM at the dealership. If he doesn't budge I hear Hyundai Customer Service is good to deal with. Good luck!
    I don't hear anything. Then again I have the basic stero (SE Model) and have some high tone hearing loss. Sometimes it is beneficial to be a bit hard of hearing. LOL
    It only happens with the upgraded infinity stereo system. BTW, my dealership now tells me that Hyundai is acknowledging this is a problem, as they have been getting complaints nationwide about the sound. However, they are still searching for a solution...
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    The Infiniti system has an external amplifier. I'll bet that's where the problem lies. If anyone who has an upgraded stereo like this with an external amplifier and has to replace a speaker, you have to make sure the replacement speakers are the same Ohm load. My 2000 Dodge Intrepid has the optional Infiniti stereo and uses 2 Ohm speakers which are hard to find. If I were to replace them with 4 Ohm speakers, I'd be cutting the wattage going to them in half.
  • ricknjricknj Member Posts: 5
    i have just recently purchased 07 santa fe limited awd, is the tire pressure recommended on the driver side panel correct :confuse: 30 psi somehow the tire looks under inflated when i look at it but thats the recommendation same with the manual.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    In a moment of weakness, I allowed my husband and son to take my one week old SF to run errands. There are now small scratches :mad: on the center console (where the shifter is-and if it's not called a console, then my apologies). This is also where the "wood grain" look is. Is there any way these will come out :cry: ????
    To my previous message. Now I have found out one of them broke the cover on the passenger power outlet :mad: . Can you hear me screaming?????????? On a brighter note, we go pick up the cargo cover and get the door locks set for 15 mph tomorrow :) .
    I originally brought them up to 35lbs. but it ran too rough with the 18in rims and I was forced to bring them back down to 30.
  • colonel717colonel717 Member Posts: 20
    I always use the manual shift and often have an issue when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Doesn't always shift from 1st to 2nd when I shift. All other gears shift okay. Anyone else have this issue?

07 SF Limited AWD
  • dbz36dbz36 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD with Premium Package (no 3rd row seating) about one week ago. After the 1st couple of days, I began to notice noises that seem to be coming from the underbody (suspension??). It is a clunking sound as if something is loose. The noise is most noticeable when I am driving at 35-40 mph and go over even minor road irregularities. I also notice similar noise when making low speed turns (especially left turns). I have scheduled an appointment with my Dealer Service Department for later this week. I hope that they don't come back and say "It's normal" or "We can't duplicate the problem". The spare tire is secure and there is nothing loose in the rear storage compartment. Does anyone have any knowledge about the problem that I described?
    After we went down a one mile gravel road, I insisted we take the SF to a full service car wash. After we were down the highway a bit, my husband stuck his hand in the channel, and it was wet. It was only in the channel and did not migrate to the rest of the interior. Is this common?
    I would double check the storage compartments, especially the area where the jack and other tools are stored and make sure they are secure. Good luck.
  • shc1shc1 Member Posts: 10
    Purchased the '07 SF less than a month ago, and I love this vehicle. The one thing that troubles me is what I consider excessive wind noise when driving over 35-40mph. It is noisier than my full size pickup truck. Is this normal? If not, is there a fix for the problem? Plus I also want to ask if it's really necessary to take off the radio antena when going through an automatic car wash as stated in the owner's manual. I'm short and that would be a problem for me. Thanks for any help anyone is able to provide.
  • bkirk1bkirk1 Member Posts: 21
    I don't hear wind noise I get alot of tire road noise exspecialy at 40mph the rougher the road the more noise.
    the Bridgestone tire are awful on rough old roads.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Suggestion...if you have roof racks, make sure they are all the way to the rear...Mine is pretty quiet...except for those Bridgetone tires...hwy they are ok...around town...NOT!.

The antenna is a good question...anyone know for sure...sounds like a pain...is that for touchless too?
    If you have cross rails for the roof rack make sure they are installed correctly. They are designed like airplane wings and will cause unwanted wind noise if on backwards. As for the antenna, I have read you should take it off but I have not done so after 20+ car washes. Luck or a really strong antenna, your guess is as good as mine...
  • shc1shc1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'llhave the dealer check out the cross rails. What do you think about the extended warranty? Generally I hear it's not worth it, but on the other hand I keep my vehicles a very long time, usually at least 10 years.
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    I posted previously about wind noise. I found that it was coming from the space between the bottom of the outside mirror and the mirror mount. Look at it and you will see there is a small space for air to pass through. I put a strip of Velcro in the space and the noise was eliminated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Very good! Consider writing a Guide detailing the procedure.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    dbz36, have this noise issue been resolved. I've had my SF about three weeks and I hear a rattling noise. I'm not sure where it is coming from-but I think it's on the inside; and the passenger side of the car. I notice it more at 25 and it's not noticeable at all at around 50mph and up. I've checked the cargo area, and the seat belts and I can't figure it out.
    My husband has figured out the problem. The headrest on the passenger seat is too loose. It seems it can me moved too far forward. We'll have it looked at and hopefully fixed at our first oil change.
  • drkcherryredmndrkcherryredmn Member Posts: 1
    I had this same thing happen to me during a high pressure car wash (twice). I went to my dealership today to pick up my license plates and asked about my leaking sunroof. I was told that this is common and is part of the design of the sunroof.

It is likely to happen when going through high pressure car washes. Less likely to happen during a rainstorm. The design of the sunroof has channels that direct any water that leaks in to an outlet towards the front of the car where the water will drain. The interior of the car should not get wet at all.

I was told that sunroofs used to be built with hard plastic around the glass & that was problematic with temperature extremes that occur in the summer vs. winters (this applies here in MN).

The sunroof on the Santa Fe has a softer material around the glass that allows for the expanding and contracting with the temperature. Therefore because it is not as snug of fit, there can be a gap for water to leak during the high pressure car washes.

I stood up on the door rail of my car to look on top and could see what the service guy was telling me- especially with the sunroof in the open position.

Sorry for the long answer, but wanted to detail what I was told. Hope this saves others from wondering about this as well :)

Michelle
    2007 Limited w/ Premium Pkg
    Dark Cherry Red with Black Interior
  • technikaltechnikal Member Posts: 14
    Is there any reason why the front bar is restricted so far back on the rails? Most roof rack allow the front support to be at least even with the B pillar. On the 07 Santa Fe, it's restricted to about 1/2 between the B & C pillar. This makes it useless for a standard bike roof rack as it forces everything too far back.

I noticed that you can remove the plastic 'filler' thing that prevents you from moving the bars to a more reasonable forward location. Is there any reason why I couldn't do that, drill a hole in the rail to allow the clamp to work and actually be able to use the roof rack?
  • dezman1dezman1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi All,
    Yes, I also noticed exact thing on my GLS. If you look good, there is a screw head/bolt on the rail as a limiter for the movement of the cross bar to go past this point. I was going to post this same question but forgot to. I was wondering if anybody ventured out and tried removing the screw and even tried drilling a similar size hole in the rail?

My thoughts is that it may work but don't want to mess up anything on this new car. I was going to speak to the dealer mechs but I know they wouldn't have any worthwhile answer to this question and would likely say don't do it. My Nissan Pathfinder was so versatile having the rails moving freely front and aft to haul long bulky items. Now, it is like Arrrgh, what can i put on top now.

Does anybody know if the rail can be carefull removed too? IT would easy to remove it then drill a hole rather that doing from on top the car. Afraid to scratch the paint by accident.

Aloha,
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    I believe the noise sounds like what was wrong with mine, I have owned mine about 3 weeks also and I just got it back from the dealer where I had it in for 3 days because of squeaks and noises, this particular noise that was coming from underneath was a loose heat shield from the exhaust, you can actually see it when the hood is up, it is right below the firewall of the vehicle, mine would make noise between 15 and 21 mph and then nothing. I still have a squeak on the passengers side they haven`t been able to find yet, it seems to be coming from the small speaker mounted on the top front of the door but I`m not sure. I hope this helps you.
  • technikaltechnikal Member Posts: 14
    I did take the screw out and that allowed the plastic filler thing to slide freely. I was hoping I'd find a continuation of the 'holes' behind the filler strip, but there were none. There are removal instructions for the roof rack referenced somewhere on this forum - so you could definitely take it off and drill a new spot for the clamp to attach. I'm curious as to why they just didn't do this in the first place. Maybe something to do with sunroofs? (I don't have a sunroof, but I imagine they probably try to standardize the rails). Whatever the reason, it certainly does reduce the usability of the rack.
  • powerman5powerman5 Member Posts: 6
    Hello all, I am a new member. Just purchased a 2007 Santa Fe Limited with option package 37. Did lots of research prior to purchasing this vehicle. I have read this forum several times and was pleased with the responses that were given to the individuals that asked questions. So many other forums have members that are rude or downright mean. I hope to be able to help out later as I learn more about this vehicle and any problems or information that I acquire in the future.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Congrats on your new SF...enjoy it and I hope you have a good dealer...makes it so much easier!

I am lucky...dealer is great and goes the xtra mile!
  • jimirljimirl Member Posts: 31
    Welcome Powerman :)

I too did lots of research before buying my first Hyundai and this forum helped me out a lot too. I am still waiting to see if someone here comes up with an easy way to install the Limited rear spoiler on an SE :))

But it is a great group of people. Makes me feel even better about owning my Santa Fe