Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    was the tune up done already (spark plugs)? and a fuel system cleaning (not just pouring in something in the gas tank) do those b4 thinking about changing the injector. i suppose you do your own maintenance? If not - just ask the mechanic for the info next time you're in for service about which cylinder is which...
  • shmshenshmshen Member Posts: 20
    Last Saturday, I drove the 08 Santa Fe for around a hour and stop at a gas station, turned off the engine and filled the gas. Then I tried to start it again. With the key on, I can not start it. The Check Engine/Low Oil Pressure/Check Battery light is on. (I think it is normal since the engine can not be started). Everything else seem normal, the coolant temperature gauge is normal as well.

Then I wait for about 20 mins and tried again, it got started without problem this time. All lights (The Check Engine/Low Oil Pressure/Check Battery light) were off when the engine got started. I drove for another 1 hour and the same thing happened again.

Does anybody have similar problem? Thanks.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    my 1st guess would be fuel pump problem or neutral safety switch problem because there is no svc eng light present. both those things could shut you own - but then - so could so many others. those 2 things though - don't present a svc engine light... get to the dealer quick b4 you can't start at all... could also be a relay going bad or malfunctioning security system - get checked b4 you get stranded...
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Sounds like a classic case of vapor lock, although cars these days are supposed to be immune. How hot was it that day? Cold gasoline into a hot car could do that. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock
  • shmshenshmshen Member Posts: 20
    I went to the dealer yesterday and they checked but could not find any error code. Then they drove it for 40 miles and tried to reproduce the problem, but they can not reproduce it and asked to take it back when it happens more often in the future. So there is no answer now.
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    Funny. We have an '07 SF and had that same problem last summer. Maybe did it a handfull of times, so when I brought it to the dealer for service, they checked it out and found nothing either.
    The only thing the dealer thought, was that the signal from the key to the ECM may have been faulty, so he checked that out and all seemed well. We started using the spare key and haven't had any trouble since. Get the dealer to check your keys. They have a little chip in them that the ECM has to read. Gotta love computers! Good luck! Hope this helps.....
  • chasoychasoy Member Posts: 1
    hello... newbie here, i have a 2009 hyundai sante fe 2.2 crdi. can you help me out? i am trying yo locate the intake air temperature sensor on my engine... can you send me pictures of the location if you have any..TIA
  • eyoeyo Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2011
    I’m just reporting to you all guys, that I had two costly problems in a month with a 2007 2.7 Santa Fe. First the AC compressor died replaced for $1400 and then the throttle electronics (I don’t know what they call it exactly) along with some central lock actuators. That together was $500. So, within a month I spent almost $2000 and I was thinking of buying a Veracruz… Well no thanks enough of the Hyundai. Oh, and the sun visors fell off again after both has been replaced a while ago. I didn’t bother replacing them because I know it will fall off again as Hyundai doesn’t give a **** about modifying it.
    For a while I was really thinking that Hyundai has got things together, but unfortunately I was wrong. I’ve got to go back to Japanese cars! No I have a Korean and an American and I’m busy fighting with dealers about the problems there cars causing. But it’s entirely my mistake.
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    We have an '07 SF that we bought in Aug. '06. It's almost 3 years old, and we have not had a bit of trouble with it. Sunvisors falling off? Never heard that one before. Are you playing Tarzan on them?
    Because you said you had to spend 2 grand on repairs, I'm assuming your vehicle is out of warranty? Warranty covers the parts you mentioned less the freon. Hmm, must have been built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon. Sorry to hear of your troubles...We had a '98 Grand Caravan Sport before our SF, and never had any trouble with it either. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.
    How's your tires? Mine have 50K kms, and they're just about toast....
    I guess those Bridgestone Duellers really are crap.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Until this past tuesday, I hadn't had any problems with my 07 SF SE AWD (32k miles) Then the alternator failed. Service manager said that is a first for him. I am in a loaner now waiting for the part to be delivered. Hopefully, this is the last problem I have.
  • ragdoll2376ragdoll2376 Member Posts: 4
    I am trying the research the Lemon Laws in Illinois. I have the above noted vehicle and it has been in the shop 4 times for the headlights dimming so badly upon braking that they nearly brown out, as well as the headlights blinking from dim to bright while driving. I have almost 43,600 miles on the car. Does anyone know about these laws and if I have any sort of recourse with Hyundai? The last time the car was in for over a week and the entire wiring system was pulled out, tested and put back in the car and I was told that they "thought" this would resolve the issue but they have made a case file on it in case anyone else has similar issues. I filed a complaint with the BBB for the Lemon Law and I guess I will see where that gets me. Any comments or ideas?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I filed a complaint with the BBB for the Lemon Law

I'm not sure I see the connection between BBB and Lemon Laws. Can you elaborate?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I trust most people realize that the BBB is entirely supported by private industry, and also has no enforcement powers?
    Actually there is a whole section of the BBB devoted to Lemon Laws and those vehicles that are out of the Lemon Law status and into a "supposed" Warranty only status. I have all of the information here and I am filing a complaint with the BBB as well as with the State's Attorney in Illinois, as well as contacting Hyundai Corporate. I guess I just wanted to, at this point, let everyone know the BBB does settle disputes or at least arbitrates them on your behalf. On a non-related note, the BBB did just settle something else for me and I did get my money back. Otherwise I was wondering if anyone else had any headlight issues as I did not see any posts regarding such problems.
    Yes BBB can mediate but they cannot enforce. The idea is that the "good" people in the auto biz finance the BBB to clean up the "bad" ones. The BBB can be effective if the dealer in dispute is a member. But the BBB has no teeth per se. They offer good info, though.
    I see. I did not know that. And in this instance, Hyundai in Illinois is not a member of the BBB to comply. The website stated that they will forward the complaint to the Corporate Headquarters. To make matters somewhat worse the dealership I bought my Santa Fe from is no longer in business, so I have to take it to another dealership to have the work done. Thanks for the information.
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    I might be off base here, but it seems to me that it shouldn't matter if the selling dealership is out of business or not, or if Hyundai is a member of BBB in Illinois or not. The Lemon Laws that apply are different from state to state, but the responsible party in any event is the manufacturer/importer, I would think. The dealer is only an agent (weasel word to get out of responsibility), so your beef is really with Hyundai corporate. I think.
    Here you go---some info on Lemon Laws in Illinois. I just happened to stumble on this and thought I'd post it, since I sort of diverted you off course with BBB stuff.

Illinois Lemon Law Info

Visiting Host Here
    Well here we go again. Another dealership and still the same issue that they cannot replicate the issue. I believe that Hyundai Corporate has taken issue that the BBB complaint has been filed and now they are just trying to make me look stupid. I was told, and I ma not sure if this is true, so I will pose the question, does anyone know if the only way to fix the problem, under warranty is to take it to a Hyundai dealership? I mean they already have it a case open on it, and they act like I am making it up. I gave very specific instructions on what happens, when it happens and so on. I have even stated I would drive with the mechanic or whoever is test driving the car to show them the issue and they have declined. Any ideas?
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    I go to an independent mechanic and he stated the left front CV boot was leaking grease. I scheduled an appointment for the following week.

Over the weekend I experienced what some others have, ESC light off, cruise won't work, brake lights won't function and can't shift gears without using the override button.

Both were replaced under warranty, the brake light issue they were familiar with and looked to see if my VIN was covered under recall or TSB. It wasn't but replaced the ECU, according to my paperwork, under warranty along with the CV boot.

On another note, they had a Equus in the showroom. Looks great.
  • rayden19rayden19 Member Posts: 6
    Figured it out! Our Santa Fe finally did not start after we shut it off and figured out the fuel pump went out. Took it to Dealership where they replaced the pump. Here comes the shock.....it had been re-wired directly to the fuse box causing the pump to function all the time with the key on/engine off! Yes, you read right...it was "hot wired" by passing the original harness and relay switch.

We purchased it used in Las Vegas, NV.

Anyone have an idea why someone would do this? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    did they fix the sun visor under warranty? my friend's also fell down..

thanks
  • rwaltrwalt Member Posts: 1
    What is the other site that talks about this issue.I am having problems with my tires cupping and alignment issues.
  • auxfireauxfire Member Posts: 4
    If your tires are new, I would contact the tire maker, as they can replace your tires for free. I'm not sure an alignment will help unless you get new tires.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    '07 Santa Fe Ltd - saw the rubber split and drooping down on my rear wiper today, so read the manual for replacement size and Whoa ! - it says simnply to refer to Dealer for rear wiper replacement.

I went to the dealer and they wanted $40 (yes- $40) to replace it. i said I wasn't paying that much for it and went to Pep-Boys. Got a 13" blade for $6-99 and they replaced it for free.

However, be warned - the OEM blade arm assembly is a plastic arm, which would not come off, so the Tech. had to pull out the old rubber blade, take out the new one from it's metal arm and push the new one in to the existing prongs on the original blade arm.

Anyone else had the same problem or an easier experience for replacement?
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    Are the cross bars on the Santa Fe roof rack easily removed? If so an explanation of how is greatly appreciated. I might be taking a long trip and I understand the cross bars could reduce mileage by 4%. Thank You.
  • ryanorryanor Member Posts: 11
    The site that mentions the cupping is hyundai-forums.com.
  • ryanorryanor Member Posts: 11
    A follow-up: I had an alignment done back in July; I'm still getting the excess tire/road noise, but hopefully the condition will not get any worse.

I happened to get down on my hands and knees to inspect the tires last weekend, and noticed the inner 1/5 or so was severely worn (the fronts worse than the backs). Some squeaking occurs when making tight turns, due to this wear I'm sure.

I now have 31,000 miles (on the original Bridgestone Duelers) on the car. Have been rotating tires every year, but now will every 6 months. I plan on getting new tires sometime next spring.

Hopefully better tires will end up with a quieter ride with even tread wear!

Ryan
  • ralph1970ralph1970 Member Posts: 28
    Last week we were over 400 miles from home and 200 miles from the nearest Hyundai dealer, when both sets of keys got locked in our 2005 Santa Fe. Standing there in the rain, I called the Hyundai 800 number on the window. Within 45 minutes Hyundai had a wrecker there and the door opened for NO charge. Within a half hour Hyundai called me to be sure were OK. I could not have asked for better service.
  • bmrichbmrich Member Posts: 10
    I am thinking of getting a 2007 Santa Fe for my wife. What are some opinions on the reliability of the car? Are their any maintenance quarks or known problems I should look out for?
  • np01np01 Member Posts: 17
    Two things come to mind: some of the sunroofs leaked (not mine), so if you're looking at one that has a sunroof, run it through a car wash, or look for leakage. The passenger's air bag light has issues with lighter-weight passengers.
  • srmcsrmc Member Posts: 6
    I bought a new 2007 Santa Fe and it was okay for about 12,000 miles. Then it developed piston slap. The dealership and the Hyundai district representative will not fix the problem. The warranty is useless. At first, I could only hear it at start up on a cold day, now it is all the time. So, I would not ever buy another Hyundai product.
  • rob87rob87 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone notice a frequent popping/creaking sound from the center console? Especially evident when cornering. Mine is being caused by the "plastic wood" trim around the shifter. It's really annoying me. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet - I'm expecting the usual "it's normal" response.

08 Limited AWD. Touring pkg with RES.
  • toycam11toycam11 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2007 santa fe with 43000 care free miles,i recently experianced the passenger side sun visor fall into my wifes hands after she attempted to use the mirror,anyone have a similiar issue,is this common?
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    It's never happened to me with my 2007, but common enough that others have
    posted about the same problem.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    Are you able to duplicate the noise for the Hyundai Rep'?
    Yes, I can duplicate the noise for the Hyundai rep. He says it is piston slap and he will not fix it. So, I can get a lawyer, file a complaint with the BBB, or ...
    My dealer will not discuss it with me unless I appear at the dealership and he has no choice but to speak with me. He said the Hyundai rep told him to stay out of the situation.
    oh that sounds like the "good cop, bad cop" routine. The factory rep has no authority to tell a dealer to stay out of anything. The dealer should be your advocate of course---but his hands are tied somewhat since the dealer will NOT fix anything if the factory will not compensate him for the repair under warranty. If the rep denies the claim, then the dealer is left holding the bag. But there's nothing to say that the dealer cannot ask the rep to evaluate the car and make a decision in your favor. After all, it's work for the dealer's service department in lean times.

Piston slap may indeed be a characteristic of an engine (Subaru has a similar issue, due to very short piston skirt design and GM has had tons of complaints). But in that case of it being "normal" one would have to say that all engines of that type should do it---otherwise, it is "abnormal" to that particular engine.

Piston slap itself has often haunted engine designers. There is a huge debate still raging about whether it does, or does not, in fact, affect engine longevity.

From what I'm reading, automakers won't do anything about piston slap unless you seriously threaten them with action.

If this condition is intolerable to you, then perhaps Lemon Law procedures are your only course of action.

Visiting Host
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    Hyundai made the car, not the dealership, who is franchised to sell and repair the car. Lemon Law is the consumer vs. the manufacturer. That is why the dealer won't become involved.
    The condition wouldn't be called "normal", but "not abnormal". It does not affect performance.

Good luck.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Yes - I have noticed it too, along with vibration noises from the upper panels by the door openers on the front driver and passenger doors. It's annoying. The reardoor panel has also started squeaking, but that's a known problem and there's a TSB posted for that, due to a poorly fitted bracket that holds the metal and plastic panels. However I don't trust the highly "trained" techs to do a good job anymore so i'll probably leave it alone.

I've also just received a recall notice for the brake switch replacement due to the safety problems it causes if it goes out. My original brake switch actually went out when I frst got the S.Fe back in '07, but I'll get it replaced again with the recall, just because.
  • jservicejservice Member Posts: 11
    Hi all.

I have a 2007 Santa Fe, and have experienced the problem of gas pump nozzles shutting off prematurely when filling the tank. On the last 2 fill-ups though, I have had fuel spray out of the filler neck and the pump doesn't shut off at all.

This has happened on my last 2 fill-ups, at 2 different gas stations, Has anyone else experienced this?
    I have had similar problems. It seems to vary with the gas pump manufacturer. Some brands I have no problems with, others, like costco, I have to hold the nozzle at a certain angle to fill up.
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    Is this the 2.7 or 3.3 liter engine we're talking about?
    Mine is the SE AWD 07, with the 3.3 l engine.
    Mine is the 3.3 Limited. Are you having the same problem with your Santa Fe?
    Nothing major. I just have to hold the nozzle at a certain angle on some pumps in order to pump gas.
  • joma1joma1 Member Posts: 9
    I get a check engine light ever so often. It will come on generally at first start and remain on through several starts then go off. Then will be off for a long time (weeks). I don't live close to the dealer but they can catch the numbers.
    However they say the numbers are not in the book. Has any one else had this problem.
  • colonel717colonel717 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe limited, with a little under 20K miles. I developed a squeal from the wheel area. I knew my brake pads weren't too low, so I was trying to figure out what the deal was.

I took to a dealer today, and they told me that the rear brakes are sticking in the caliper and they would have to rebuild the brake system, but it is not a warranty item. I would have to pay around $150 for this repair. The service advisor agreed it should be a warranty issue as he has seen this become a common problem on the Santa Fe. But he said they could not do this under warranty as he said the brakes are not covered under warranty. I was not happy. He gave me the # to contact Hyundai.

Anyone else have this issue and have any luck getting Hyundai to cover it. THis is my second Santa Fe and I have been generally happy with both. But the service advisor was really critical of Hyundai, and all the crap they are putting out there. Especially now with all vehicles prior to 2007 going to bve recalled for frame issues rotting and falling apart.
  • colonel717colonel717 Member Posts: 20
    I just saw the thread for this issue below...
  • r_magoonr_magoon Member Posts: 2
    My engine ck lite keeps coming on. The problem detected is a defective fuel temp senser. It does not effect the performance, but the car will not pass the state insp.
    Labor cost are at $95./hr ny suggestions