Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• Options
    djpbnl1djpbnl1 Member Posts: 3
    Now I know why there are mechanics.
    Daughter's 2000 LS timing belt slipped, did the replacement myself using the manual from the forum.
    It was a bust, checked compression got nothing in cylinder 2,4 & 6
    Pulled the intake plenum, no compression in 1, 3, 5.
    Checked the timing marks, everything looked good.
    Came to the conclusion > bent valves.
    So pulled the valve cover, on 2, 4, 6
    And what did I find,
    A single cam (which I knew) four valve per cylinder engine! (which I did not know)

Now I cranked the engine and all 12 of those values are working (only viewed one side)

So back to the manual, found no reference to a 24 valve, single overhead cam engine!
    Any suggestion or ideas?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are some stalling posts in the archives that may help:

kavasagi, "KIA SEPHIA AND STALLING" #1, 12 Sep 2000 2:27 pm

Also go to the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion and ask for advice in there. Good luck!
  • Options
    Is that a Lincoln or Montero/Galant or ?.

Try the Search Forums on the left sidebar to get a list of the make/model boards. Hopefully there's a maintenance and repair discussion for your daughter's ride.

If it's a Lincoln LS, try Lincoln LS: Problems & Solutions.
  • Options
    velcro999velcro999 Member Posts: 5
    Let's hear some opinions on this Car and Driver article comparing MDX to some popular competitors..http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12669/eight-tickets-to-para- dise-we-compare-eight-50000-luxury-suvs.html
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check the Automotive News & Views group for a suitable topic.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    mistyreneemistyrenee Member Posts: 1
    my power steering is bone dry...apparently I have a leak; but why have I read that I will need to put automatic transmission fluid and NOT power steering fluid??? I am taking it in to the Volvo Doctor in Fort Worth tomorrow, but I am boggled at this discovery. And why aren't car manuals specific...it does not indicate WHAT I should be putting in there. :confuse:
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Try the general Volvo S70 discussion. You might also want to pose this question to the folks who hang out in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion.
  • Options
    noeskimonoeskimo Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2003 TDI,I drive 55000/yr. But the low beams just quit one AM, both of them. The high beams still work, but not real bright. Any ideas ?
  • Options
    There's a VW Jetta - Headlights and Bulbs discussion so try posting in there. Or try the VW Jetta Electrical System Questions discussion if you think it's more of an electrical problem.
  • Options
    djpbnl1djpbnl1 Member Posts: 3
    After I posted I realized I didn't specify the make of car, it's a Mitsubishi Diamante
  • Options
    Head to the Mitsubishi Diamante Group. There's actually a timing belt discussion there, although it's not particularly large. But the maintenance and repair discussion you'll find in that group would be a good place to post.

There's also the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion as well.
  • Options
    ga_boy1ga_boy1 Member Posts: 3
    hi,i have a chevy blazer 4.3L..and the other day i was coming home and it lost all power and shut off on me,not your average spit and spudder stall out...just up and shut off,so i coasted to side of road..im wondering what would make it do this?my brother showed me it wasnt getting fire.we bought a coil and still no fire..any suggestions,help ..clues..thanks
  • Options
    Try posting your question in the Chevy Blazer Starting and stalling problems discussion.
    The Blazer owners who post there should be able to help you sort this out.
  • Options
    commuter3commuter3 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Maxima SL and like to know how to protect door key from lowering windows by thiefs. I was told (see message #3362 ) you need flat screw driver and 3 minutes to open door and steal everything available including xenon lights? Is it possible to do something?
  • Options
    Check the topics in Nissan Maxima. You may use the "add a discussion" link if none of the topics match your interest.

Nissan Maxima: Stolen Headlights!! may be of particular interest.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    cyndykcyndyk Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 GMC Yukon Denali & love it, but it has mechanical problems every few months or so, as older vehicles sometimes do. It has sadly broke down showing DTC P0452 (Evap Pressure Sensor Code). We have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter & battery, checked the fuel cap & the gas tank along with other tune up items. We can't get a GMC service tech to even comment on DTC in Dallas area at any Dealership! Can someone that has possibly been thru this let us know their outcome & or an expert repair person point us in the right direction? Any advice, besides take it to the dealership, is greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening to our car cries for HELP!
  • Options
    A good place to post this would be in the GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems discussion.

I also did a little digging and found a more specific description of that code

Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input

Sounds like whatever it is that sends a pressure to that sensor isn't creating the pressure it's supposed to. (NOTE: I'm not a mechanic and did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;) )

Hope this helps you track it down!
  • Options
    jack84jack84 Member Posts: 1
    A friend who is familar with Isuzu's replace all the belts on my daughters 95 Rodeo. The speedometer hasn't worked since. I bought the repair manual for for 91 to 97 Rodeo's but not too much info there. Removed the speed sensor from the transmission, put it in a vise and metered it while running it with an electric drill. No readings but I don't know if that is a good test. Don't know where the other end of the harness is that comes off the sensor. Think I located the right fuse and it is okay. Wondering if there is a plug in the harness near the belts.
    Another problem is a squeal from a belt when first starting the engine but on a second try the noise is gone. Sprayed belt dressing on all the belts a couple of times but always comes back after a few starts. Can't determine which belt.
    That's my problems folks and would sure appreciate any help. Thank you all. Jack
  • Options
    Isuzu Rodeo Maintenance and Repair would be a good place to start.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I am looking for a good general forum that would include discussion of the '07 GMC Sierra. There are lots of Sierra/ Silverado discussions but they all seem very focussed, I just want impressions and maybe comparisons.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'll take a stab at this, but I'm not very familiar with pickups in general. Another host may have a better idea, but you can start in the Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra group and look for discussions with "owners" in the title. There are several. Or you can start a new discussion specifically aimed at the Sierra which interests you.
  • Options
    As Pat suggested, going to the Silverado/Sierra group is your best bet. These two stand out for your needs:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra: First Impressions

Article Comments - 2007 GMC Sierra Denali Full Test

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Great, thank you both.
  • Options
    akossowakossow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Olds Ciera that has a bad evaporator. It is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. I have removed screws from the engine compartment and under the dash but it still seems to be attached. Any ideas?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Best place to check in would be the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    carsandsuchcarsandsuch Member Posts: 1
    Need some advise on what is happening here, water is in the resevoir, car overheated this morning, is it common for the theomstat to be replaced,
  • Options
    Try posting in the Grand Am Maintenance and Repair discussion.
  • Options
    shartsonshartson Member Posts: 3
    WHAT'S BETTER? A PLYMOUTH BREEZE OR SATURN SL2, BOTH 2000, BOTH 70K MILES........ADVICE NEEDED!
  • Options
    I'm not finding any discussions about either of those vehicles. I suggest going to the Sedans group and either using the "Add a Discussion" link or asking the hosts there for assistance.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    us957165us957165 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Toyota Rav4. The dealer has repainted an area about 1cm in diameter 2 times since I have owned the car because of rusting. First time at ~9 month and again at ~16 months. I am currently trying to lemon the car since this is one a number of problem I have had with the car. I have been unable to determine what type of impact to the valve to the car the rust and repainting would have and would like to have it as part of my case.

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    First recommendation is our famous Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. I'd also recommend Pricing used vehicles involved in accidents/reconditioned.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    noahchunnoahchun Member Posts: 2
    I received a letter from my insurance company.

My insurance company still needs for being the SUBROGATION DEMAND FROM ONE OF CLAIMANT ON OTHER CARRIER to other.

In response to above letter, I believe that my insurance company does not responsible for being paid to other without their right documents. Is my idear correct?

Please give me an answer as soon as you can.

Thank you
  • Options
    You should post your question in Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    cm16cm16 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a mother of three in the market for a new family SUV that combines safety, comfort, and fun. I've been looking at the Ford Explorer and the Chevrolet Equinox. Any other ones you would suggest taking a look at?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, you can get opinions about those two vehicles in our Ford Explorer and Chevrolet Equinox groups.

If you want other suggestions, visit the main SUVs board and have a look at those discussions. There's one about SUVs for moms that you might enjoy.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    olehagunolehagun Member Posts: 2
    I have a f 250 super duty and when i shift to into 4+4 the 4+4* light comes on but the front wheels don't drive .I also tried it in low range the transfer case does shift into low but the front wheels still won't drive any ideas I am new to this truck.
  • Options
    Check the topics in the Ford F-Series group. If you cannot find a suitable topic then use the "Add a Discussion" link at the top of the page.

You may also find Got a Quick, Technical Question? helpful.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    bapoerbapoer Member Posts: 1
    My rear AC was blowing hot air while the front was cold. Took it to Ford, they said they fixed a vacuum hose to a valve in rear, worked fine for 2 weeks. Started blowing warm air again, took it back, I think I go an idiot for a mechanic this time, says I need new compressor, accumulator, expansion valve, etc (about $850 worth). The compressor blew out some Freon while I was showing them, then it shut off (like a high pressure relief valve). There is only one temp control and that is on the front panel (no rear temp control, just a fan switch in back as well as the one on the front).

I don't believe all these components are bad because the front cools fine even with low Freon after it blew some out.

Here's what I think. I have once replaced the heater valve under vehicle (behind the driver) for a similar problem. I checked the lines when I got it home. I had been running the AC. The return line for the heater should have been cold since the valve should have shut the water off...it was hot, not as hot as the input, but hot. I also noticed where they had cut the plastic vacuum line and inserted a rubber splice (this was their $107 repair).

I believe that either the hot water valve is defective and not closing properly or the vacuum line is leaking someplace not closing the valve, resulting in the warm air. I also believe that because the valve is not closing, it is heating the AC lines, causing them to overheat thus building excessive pressure in the AC lines resulting in a high pressure valve opening on the compressor until an acceptable pressure is reached.

Can someone with AC knowledge confirm or reject this idea?
    :confuse:
  • Options
  • Options
    rayzjoyrayzjoy Member Posts: 1
    thinking of selling my rt. 10k miles perfect inside & out. where do i find a TRUE evaluation
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thadangerangerthadangeranger Member Posts: 2
    ok. i have an 84 ranger 2.8v6 it was running great when i came home last night but today it wont even turn over. battery reads 12.9v but when i turn the key the interor lights go out and wont come back on. the radio doesnt even come on. ive tried a jump box and jumper cables but the same thing...... i dont know where to start........
  • Options
    Try asking in the Ford Ranger: No-start problems discussion.
  • Options
    chevyman20chevyman20 Member Posts: 2
    i have a problem with my 1990 chevy beretta, it keeps acting like there is no horsepower every time i give it gas
  • Options
    Not a lot in the way of specific Beretta discussions, so I'd suggest you post in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion.
    The folks who hang out there should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.
  • Options
    furturecarmanfurturecarman Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm seeking to become a salesman at a car dealership and I'm wondering where's the most appropriate place to post this question.
  • Options
    You might want to start here: Is the Auto Sales Profession for Me?
  • Options
    jainctjainct Member Posts: 5
    Hello:

A friend of mine purchased a car from supposely a good friend for x amount of dollars. My friend was to make payments on the car which he did each month and finished paying it off 6 months later. During this time, my friend drove the car under the sellers insurance and registration.

Now that the car was paid in full (with a bill of sale) my friend tried to retrieve the title and his friend kept stalling for time but said he would will give it to him. To make a long story short, the friend has recently passed away and the friends nephew claims the title was held by a bank from another owner which is suppose to be the original owner.

My friend bought this car and as you can see made a big mistake from the beginning (just because they were friends) only to find out that his friend had no right to sell that car to him since he never owned the car. Of coure there is a lien on the car and my friend had to purchase another vehicle and take this car off the streets because he can't register without the title.

My question is, has anyone reading this post ever heard or been in this situation before or might know how to fix this problem in a legal way? If in the event nothing can be done what should he do with the car without having any problems for himself?

Thank you in advance,
    jainct
  • Options
    Try asking in the Questions About Private Sale Transactions discussion.
  • Options
    jvanasekjvanasek Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering buying an 05 Hyundai Tucson that a private party advertised as 4WD. When I asked about that they said it was actually ALL WHEEL DRIVE. But when I followed their Carfax link [in their online ad] the vehicle was described by Carfax as "FRONT WHEEL DRIVE." So I'm wondering if ALL WHEEL DRIVE is essentially the same as FRONT WHEEL DRIVE.
    Please help--thanks!
    John