Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• otis4otis4 Member Posts: 14
    abc2,
    Thanks for the info. I don't consider this steering thing a "problem" with my 04 C70 yet, but I will write your fix down in case it becomes one. I hope 10scoachrick reads your reply (he started the thread) and can use it. Sounds like good info to me. Thanks again.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    You don't actually program the fob.
    It will automatically remember the seat and mirror position when the door is locked w/ the fob.
    If anyone else uses the fob and changes the seat and/or mirrors the fob will remember the new position.
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Greetings all...been gone for a while(trip to Maui and such)...re: steering quirks---dealer serviced the steering again and lubed the stops as before and, at this moment, the steering seems to be better. As I mentioned, everyday driving does not put one in the 'turn to the limits' mode of u-turns and tight parking spots; so, it's easy to go day-to-day without noticing the ghostly noise, etc. I must say that my experience leads me to believe that the steering/front suspension are the weakest links in the C70. Our neighborhood installed the seemingly ubiquitous concrete speed humps on our streets(with some covering entire intersections) and this weakness in the C70 is painfully apparent as one makes a 90 degree turn while entering and exiting one of these concrete slabs--does NOT sound like a $40K auto. I must say that the C70 is a fantastic cruiser--top up or down--but our 9-year old Miata was quieter during the above-mentioned conditions! My comparison between the C70 and V70 comes from daily driving of our two vehicles( and the fact that the two turning circles are almost identical by specs). I'm well aware of the design history of the C70 but I'm guessing that our steering experience is not simply the result of ancient FWD engineering. Time will tell--we gots plenty o' warranty left! On another note, I hope the new C/Z/50/70/30/3.14159 can include a few items which we enjoy on our V70 and miss on the C70---steering wheel stereo controls, decent cup-holders, Homelink, ket fob seat position memory, nifty sunglass pouch on front of seat--just to name a few. Thanks to all for your responses...I'll follow up with any new info in our quest for smoother steering! Aloha! BTW, we're looking to replace the 16" tires we swapped from the V70( for the original 17" from the C70). We're probably within 5K miles of needing replacements if anyone has info on rubber that will offer grip and low road noise-preferably at a reasonable price. I've found over a $100 difference per tire on models that get good reviews(Kumho vs Pir or Mich, for ex.).
    10scoachrick...did I see 'pi' in there somewhere? Ha ha, thanks for my morning laugh!
  • starlifterstarlifter Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased for my wife an 03 Convertible HP Automatic Moondust- VERY NICE!!
    The top needs to be "conditioned" Any recommendations?
    Need recommendation for Snow tires for a C70?
    Manual calls for 195 65 15 - but am hearing that snows on 16" rims would perform better.
    Any suggestions?
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    Not sure what you mean by needs to be "conditioned". I've got a '99 and all I've ever done to the top is wash it when washing the car. Maybe the owner's manual can help you. The Moondust IS very nice.

Can't even try to help on the snow tires since it hardly ever snows in Houston.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    I suggest just a good set of all-season tires. I've been running those on my 16" wheels on my T5 for 3 pretty harsh winters now and have never had a problem.

Unless you plan on autocrossing, there is just no need to swap tires on a FWD luxo-car depending on season.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

"What's the point in designing ugly cars" in News & Views!!
    For those who are interested, Volvo has pictures of the next C70 on their website.
    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Finally Volvo has released all this information and we can stop speculating about it here...now, which one of you guys had most of the rumors correct? ...and let me say this next-gen C70 looks great! That first picture under the tree has a big "wow factor"...great shape, color, angle etc. I am really excited that my '04 C70 lease will run out in time to buy an early '07 model. Hopefully the Frankfurt show will be video streamed all over the internet as I don't think I will be there in person. Anyone know if the car mags will get a pre-production example to test drive? I hope Volvo is smart enough to get one in their hands quickly so all those potential A4 and 3-series buyers can stop before it's too late and check this C70 out instead.
  • apolloc70apolloc70 Member Posts: 13
    hey all, has anyone had problems with their AC ?
    mine might have a leak since it isnt cooling, it may be out of frillon (gas).
    at some point there was a "mist" that came out of the air vent, but it may have been some humidity. anyways, it hasnt cooled right ever since...
    if anyone has some helpful tips or advice, i'd be very gr8ful.
    abe
    Best tip would be to take it to your dealer or mechanic. There's bunches of potential reasons for not cooling, low R134, Freon no longer used, compressor not working several reasons for this, a sensor(s) not working. List goes on and on. Take it to the pro.
    Maybe I'm missing it... but I don't see much in the way of info at all. I mean, what are the engine and tranny options, for instance (if any options at all)?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

US Engine 2.5L T5 218 hp.
    Europe will get the 2.4I 168 hp engine and the diesel as well.

Both auto and manual trannies should be available.
    Darn! I was really hoping for at least for S60 T5 power ... with a 6-speed.

• modinemodine Member Posts: 1
    When I stepped on the gas pedal today, nothing happened for about 2 or three seconds, after which the accelerator kicked in. Most of the time I have no problem, but now I have to be very cautious when I'm entering the traffic flow. Any one know what is causing this problem?
  • donaldbdonaldb Member Posts: 1
    My Volvo C-70 convertible has a vibration at 45 to 50 mph which the local Volvo sales and service departments say is "normal" for a 2001 model. I have new Pirelli tires which were installed by the dealer and have had the car to three different tire places to check balance and alignment - all say tires are fine. Anyone else have this problem?
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Max: Is this the same engine that powers my 2004 XC90? (the 2.5T)

How much will the C70 weigh (and how much does a 7-seat awd xc90- weigh)?

I think it's a sweet vehicle. I'd like a niftier interior, but perhaps that will come. It needs to have an interior that is as nice as the 3-series BMW, don't you think?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    So... AWD or FWD?

Manual, or slushbox only?

When will they be available?

Anyone think it will really come in under $36K?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No, this is the engine in the S40 T5.
    The XC90 engine is 208 hp, and has a bigger heavier engine block.

XC90 weighs approx 4600 lbs
    Old C70 weighs @ 3800 lbs.
    New C70 prob 3600?

I like the S40 type interior, I think the materials are nice, esp the aluminum trim.
    I'm sure there will be nicer options for those who want them down the road.
    So far,
    FWD.
    Both auto and manual trans.

First sales hopefully in April 06.

$36k is going to be tough. I think that is going to be the base. Fully equipped should be @ $40k.
    Thanks for the info..... I think you are probably right on the price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

..how much the current S40 T5 lists for...

Since this is the basis for the new C70 convertible, I priced one out on Volvo's website..

S40 T5 AWD.. with automatic, premium pkg, xenons, cd changer... basically, everything but NAV... $36,500

The FWD model... about $35K...

WOW... that is a lot... The FWD model is about $1500 more than a comparable Acura TL.... and I'm not even sure the Volvo S40 can even compete in that category..

I think $40K could be on the low end for the convertible...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well the 04 C70 LPT listed out @ $41,000.

An 05 S40 T5, Prem pkg, Audio pkg, Sport pkg, Automatic, Xenons, Climate and Convienence pkg lists @ $33,815. $34,290 w/ metallic paint.
    This is a rare car.
    Most S40's run $30-32,000 MSRP.
    Yeah.. the price will look okay compared to the old one..

I was just surprised.. The old one is based on the S70 (or 850?)... what most people would consider a step up in class from the S40.. I was thinking that the new one might drop down a little in price.. I guess compared to the C70 HPT convertible, it might be few Gs cheaper..

And, I wasn't purposely trying to run up the price of the S40.. Just adding the equipment that is typical for the Japanese competitors.. It just kind of stunned me....

I think they'll have an easier time selling that convertible at $40K, than a full-boat S40 T5 AWD at $35K, though... Not as much competition for the convertible..

But, you probably know better.. I've only seen a couple of the T5 AWD on the road.. You sell many of these? At what MSRP are they, typically?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Being in the southwest we sell very few AWD sedans at all.
    Most of our T5's MSRP in the $30-33000 range.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Here's another video, also showing how the roof opens.

http://www.autowereld.com/nieuwsbericht.asp?artikel=2393&pa=&fr=1

the roof opening is at about 55 seconds in
  • pbburns2pbburns2 Member Posts: 1
    donaldb, greetings, drove a 00 c70 convertible today. It seemed to have the same vibration that went away above about 50. It is low miles, 22k and is otherwise in great shape.

What are your thoughts, pb
    My 99 doesn't have a vibration. Sounds like it could involve several things, alignment, balancing, tires out of round, tire pressure maybe.
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    My 01 Coupe does not have vibration either. In reading your post, I saw that you have Perelli's and that's all i needed to see. In past postings on this board, people have complained about flat spots on those tires. In my 95k miles I have had the Michelin Pilots, Bridgestone Potenzas and now Falken Ziex's.

The Pilots and Potenzas lasted about 40k each.
    I will be switching back to the Potenzas once the Falkens have worn out. Other than the 2500 mile wear in period (at which time the noise became drastically reduced) they were definitely the best of the bunch. Was like riding on rails in the rain.

Sup Tommy.
    WE recently purchased an 03 C70 HPT conv and it is teriffic.
    I heard taht there is a Fiberglass hardtop that pops on in the winter.
    Does anyone have any info?

Thanks
    starlifter
    Congrats on your purchase. :shades: Have not heard of a removable hardtop for the C70. Would seem extremely cumbersome considering the size and weight that would be involved. Removing and replacing the top on my 57 Tbird was definitely a two person job, and that was a two seater. Can't imagine doing it on a C70. Could you be confusing it with the new C70 with the retractable hardtop? :confuse:
    There is a company in Europe that makes hardtops for the C70.
    Wiesmann auto-sport.
    WOW! I had no idea. That Saffron hardtop looks good. Any idea on prices? Their website didn't list them. Their Roadster is a looker too!
    No clue, bet it is several thousand though.
    and just think about shipping such a beast overseas!
    Yikes!

As I also learned this past week, it may not be the tires at all. You may have a hub that needs to be replaced. Although, mine does have 95k on it so I would be surprised if you've lost a bearing already.

$420.00
    Ouch! The hub is something I wouldn't think would ever need to be replaced, short of an accident. :sick:
    I'd have to ask Volvomax but my initial thought is that my guys don't steer me wrong. Evidently, with the volvos, it is not as simple as replacing a bearing. I was told that because of the way the bearings and the hub are laid out, when a bearing goes bad, you are just better off replacing the whole hub as it is too difficult to only replace a bearing. Doubt, and hoping, that they didn't feed me a line as I bring them 2 dozen danishes anytime I go in for service.
    its true. the whole hub would need to be replaced (the bearing is a sealed unit). Its not all that expensive. My shop charged me $380.

Here's a valuable link. Wish I had located it before changing everything else on my car in an attempt to eliminate the vibration. Oh well, live and learn.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/FWDbearingHub.php

Not that unusual anymore for the hubs to be sealed.
    Not like in the old days when you could repack your bearings.
    I know will not be cheap. However if it works I will have a better winter car and save on a rag top replacement.
  • canuck70canuck70 Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of a used C70 HT(99 w 50k Miles), blue on blue, fully loaded. This car is going to be a lot of fun. I was stuck between the 330ci, SLK 320 and the C70, but after test driving all three, and after reading a significant portion of the posts on this forum, I chose the C70. (It also was the cheaper of the group). One of the question I have is that I will be storing the car for the winter (way too much snow and even more salt on the road), is there any special treatment/procedure that I need to consider? It will be stored in my garage, which is not insulated but away the elements. I am also considering purchasing a cover, is it worth it?
    Canuk70, congrats on your choice of the C70. I also drove several competitors before deciding the Volvo was the best deal and most car for the money. I assume you're in Canada when you talk about the long cold winters, but remember, your car was designed by Sweeds and I'm sure meant to handle Sweedish winters as well. If you have it in a garage, I expect no special prep would be required for either the top or the engine...although I would consider starting the motor once a month for oil lubrication of seals and rings. Maybe the other more mechanically inclined of this group can add ideas as well. I also have been told not to lower the top when it's wet, so I would guess cold/frozen tops should remain up as well. I guess I am lucky to live in GA where the only time I can't enjoy my C70 is mid-Feb! Have fun with your new toy.
  • bargs910bargs910 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing a 2001 C70. Can anyone tell me if they are good in the snow as I live up in the higher elevations of New Jersey and we get quite a bit of snow during the winter (and sometime s Spring!!) months? Thanks!
    Bargs910
    My S70 T5 (same thing, just 2 more doors than the c70) has been GREAT in the snow (i also live in jersey). Just make sure you put a decent set of all-season tires on there and you are good to go.

Make sure you have 16" wheels!
    What's this snow stuff you're talking about?
  • otisotis Member Posts: 12
    Well, it's over. I am sad to report that my very happy 2 year experience with my C70 has ended. My wife and I caved in to pressure to lower costs and traded out of our leased 04 black C70. It will now join the ranks of the New Jersey C70s I read about here (recently) as I have just driven it up there. A nice 900+ miles up the East Coast last weekend confirmed it's smoothness as a cross country machine that gets 28 mpg to boot! It looked great at the transfer too since I had been using the Zaino polish recommended here, I also recommend Zaino to anyone with a dark color. Take care all. OtisC70.