Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in the Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion. Please include your year/make and model and any other details that you think may help people give you an estimate.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Didn't see any discussions specific in reguards to portable GPS systems, as in price,comparisons, and accessories. There was a "portable vs preinstalled" thread... a couple others remotely related. Can we get this discussion added to the "automotive news" board?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's no reason why couldn't post any questions about portable systems in Navigation GPS Systems. Of course, you can make a request for a new dedicated topic in Automotive News & Views.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    I got a bunch of questions regarding the ANSWER site, who do I direct them to?
    Or should I post them here?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'd use the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion. Let's leave this for lost souls. ;)
  • herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    Hello,
    I am making sure I understand this correctly. I have a co-worker who purchased a 02 Mitsubishi Lancer with 51,000 miles for $11,200. I told her not to purchase a car unless has a person with her. She ended up not listening and purchased the car anyway. I notice the BB value is around $8000 (excellent condition) and of course BB value is a little bit behind. Due to bad credit she has a 15% interest rate on the car and paying $400 a month. Not only did she not get GAP insurance. She ended up getting a 6 month warranty. Is there a grace period you can return a car to the dealership depending on their policy?
    Thanks
    There's a recent blog post about this subject:

Backing Out Of A Deal?

The answer to your question is probably no - California has a used car option to return a car, but it costs money and has restrictions. New Jersey has a one day period to review unsigned lease docs. Some state and FTC links are in the What's the cooling off period to back out of my car purchase? Guide and be sure to look at the Unwinding the Deal link in the blog.

You may get some suggestions in the My Salesperson Misled Me discussion about how to unwind this deal.
  • sundance7sundance7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Dodge 360 V8 Gas Engine.
    I recently had the carb overhauled, and since then, Gas has been getting in the oil pan and I've had to change oil twice so far... and cannot drive Van for fear of damaging the engine. I took carb back to mechanic and he 're-adjusted' etc. and said it should be ok now... but it isn't. What has happened and what is cure for such problem? This is a terrible thing and within a few minutes, could completely ruin a perfectly good engine... and, after fixing this, (if fixable) can it ever randomly happen again? Thanks to anyone that can help.
    Arthur
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Look through the Conversion and Full-Sized Vans group for the most appropriate discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • kymommawkymommaw Member Posts: 5
    Hi Host! I really need your help! I'm tryin to avoid spending money that I may not have to spend on our 2002 trailblazer. But I don't know how to manually diagnostic the blazer myself.

My daughter told me to turn the key on and off 3 times without starting it and then if it's something in the elecrical system? A sensor maybe? Then it will come across where the odometer is or across the radio screen? Is this true, can I find out what is wrong by doing this?

One day I was really mad and I sped up and slowed down a couple times on the highway, yeah real dumb thing to do for sure. But all of a sudden after a few hours of drivin, I got lost had to stop and try to find my way.

Then I lost power. The accelator seemed to not do anything, like the transmission gears weren't shifting. I couldn't get no faster than 40 mph. and I was on a highway, thank God the traffic was slow due to the time of day, anyways I barely made it back home. My husband doesn't know a thing about these types of vehicles.

I really really would appreciate some guidance here if you have time!!! PLEASE!!!
    I think your best bet would be to ask the folks in Chevy Trailblazer - Loss of power.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Try asking in the Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair discussion.
  • bjc2bjc2 Member Posts: 28
    where is the fuel filter located on a 2001 elantra?
    thanks for any help.
  • lewielewlewielew Member Posts: 7
    i am about to pull ahead with the end of my 04 cadillac up-i've leased with GMAC for my last 4 vehicles 3 saturns and the cadillac. Ive never been late on a payment. However, this past 2 years ive had some financial difficulty and my credit isnt 5 star if you will.

Does GMAC have a fixed APR on their leases-i am looking at 48 mo w/15 miles again. Looking at the 08 Chevy Impala or another Cadillac CTS via GMAC.

or the Dodge Charger SXT, Kelly BB has New Car Value at 25K not sure who their leasing goes through-but they have a 2000 lease money back that i'll use for down payment.

Where can I find out what cars are in high demand?

Are the leasing APR based on your credit score?
  • boxycassboxycass Member Posts: 5
    Why can't I see an option for posting a new discussion? I'd like to post in this forum (car shopping) about the 3 vehicles I'm considering and can't seem to find a way to post a new discussion. I'm usually relatively forum savvy but am feeling pretty stupid right now. Thanks for your help!
    These three links should help:
    Cadillac CTS Lease Questions
    Chevrolet Impala Lease Questions
    Dodge Charger Lease Questions
    Post your query about each car in the appropriate discussion, and Car Man will get to you as quickly as he can with the numbers on each.

kcram - Pickups Host
    For boards where a discussion can be added, it is at the top of the discussion listing, underneath the gray page bar.

kcram - Pickups Host
    So since I can't see the add discussion in this forum, no new discussions can be added?

Any advice on where to post this topic:
    Trying to decide between Saturn Aura - Chevrolet Malibu - Saturn VUE

Thanks for your help!
    Try asking in the General Questions about Leasing Vehicles discussion.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    boxycass..

You could also try posting in:

Please help me decide between...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi boxycass! Go to the Saturn Aura group. You should see the Add Discussion button there. You can start your discussion, being sure to add all the appropriate categories (you'll see that as you go through the steps). Then KarenS, the board host, will make sure it shows up in the other two groups as well.

Hope this helps!
  • nfgrockerdudenfgrockerdude Member Posts: 19
    What do leasing companies look for in a credit report while trying to approve a lease? what are the chances of a first time buyer getting approved? what else do they look at?
  • mrfurious214mrfurious214 Member Posts: 11
    I posted these under the RSX lease forum but nobody answered.

1. I got a lease in May 2006 on a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S. I put $1300 down and my payments are $305 per month (including tax) for 36 months with 15k miles per year. Was this a good deal?

2. I have not put as many miles on my car as I thought I would be. Currently I have just under 24,000 miles. I will prob only be driving 750 miles per month going forward which will put me severley under the 45k I pay for. How does this affect me when my lease is up? Will I be able to get this equity out of the car being that it will be worth more than what it would be if I used all 45k? Or will I just lose this all since it's leased? Please explain how that will work.
    Thanks for the suggestions on where to post. I appreciate the help.
  • miamimike1miamimike1 Member Posts: 13
    What's the rule of thumb here? subtracting $1000 from "due at signing" should be reflected in a $20 monthly payment increase?

I assume this varies with the "price of money" - i.e. prevailing interest rates.

thanks
    There isn't a rule of thumb as the answer depends on both the interest rate and the terms of the loan (i.e. Number of months). $1,000 amortized over 60 months at 8% apr happens to work out to $20.28 a month so that would be your "savings." It would work out to $31.34 if amortized over 36 months.

I suggest posting your question in Questions About Financing New Vehicles for further information.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mrfurious214mrfurious214 Member Posts: 11
    I currently lease a 2006 RSX Type-s until May of 2009. I am paying for 45k miles but I will probably only have about 32k miles when I go to turn my car back in. My residual is $14,128. If I'm 13k miles under what I should be, is there anyway I can get equity out of my car? Would I be able to buy the car at the residual and sell it for a higher price (if it's worth more at that time?) rather than just turn it in and lose out? Or would a dealer just give me what it's worth (hopefully more than the residual) and I could use the value towards a down payment for another car?
  • timmerktimmerk Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to find out if it's possible to negotiate the price if I am having a car custom built at a factory? Where should I ask the question?

Thanks!
    If you tell us which make/model you're building then we can direct you to the right place to post your question. As a rule of thumb, however, everything is open to negotiation. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rowchrowch Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a new car and have the opportunity to buy a demo. I know this is now technically a used car, but what does that mean in terms of being responsible for all the individual charges on the sticker?

For example, do I still have to pay the gas guzzler tax listed? How are taxes handled? Destination charges...etc?

I am having trouble locating any rules on buying a demo car. Any help would be appreciated.
    I think Tidester's answer to Timmerk in the post just above yours would also fit your situation.

There seem to be a lot of demo posts in the My Salesperson Misled Me discussion.
  • boe747lcfboe747lcf Member Posts: 12
    How long does it take to get a reply (from the host) to a message that we post in this forum? I've noticed that some questions are never answered. Do we need to just repost?

Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The "answers" here are generally just directions to the appropriate discussions. And it's pretty rare that we don't have someplace to point you at.

So what's your question? ;)
    How long does it take to get a reply (from the host) to a message that we post in this forum?

It is extremely rare that a message posted in this particular Forum goes without a reply. If you've looked back over the postings here you should have noticed that the vast majority of responses are posted within a VERY short time of posting because all of the hosts are looking out for you.

Also, as pf_flyer pointed out, we do not provide answers to questions here. We provide help to point you in the right direction to get your question answered. Note the title at the top of this page.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You may be talking about your posts in the leasing discussions. If you don't have an answer there and your post has scrolled off, please feel free to repost.

Good luck!
  • boe747lcfboe747lcf Member Posts: 12
    Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I was mainly talking about the specific leasing questions (like this month's MF and residuals for brand xxx). I'm looking to lease a car this month and having those numbers helps a lot in negotiating a fair deal (and deciding which car to go for!). I hope these are the kinds of questions that can get answered in these forums. It's much appreciated!

Thanks!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    or are the Edmunds servers acting quite slow in the last 2 weeks???...every website I go to is almost instantaneous (new 3.0 DSL) but Edmunds is slow as molasses...posting is slow, and just calling up Edmunds is slow...

Am I the only one with this experience lately???
    You know the drill! Queries like these are received in the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion. Be sure to note the link or page you were trying to access, the date and time, the browser/version, the operating system/version, and if reloading/refreshing helped.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Thanks...since I don't often contact the Hosts in this manner, it is easy to forget the proper topic in which to query them...
  • mthompxxmthompxx Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I just leased a grand caravan yesterday under the employee discount program. My Wife's Uncle works for Chrysler. The salesman gave me the discount without any control number. I signed the lease, and I have had the van for over 24 hours now. I got a hold of the uncle, and he gave me the control number. Come to find out, nieces are not eligible for the discount. The sales man said I need to get a number now, and I should get a hold of someone who works for Chrysler to get one.

my question is that since I already signed the lease for this amount, isn't it all said and done now. Or do I still need to get a number to keep my van at this price. I would think that if it was submitted without the control number, and I signed the lease I should be in the clear now, and not have to pay the extra 1600 price difference. Any advice I can get would be great. Thank you very much.
    Matt.
    Try asking in the Question about Employee Discounts and Incentives discussion.
  • imlivin4himimlivin4him Member Posts: 2
    Today is my first day ever seeing this forum and it seems very helpful but a little overwhelming. I have been in negotiations with a local honda dealership and I am trying to make sure I get the best deal possible. They have put me on to a thing they call the Leadership Purchase Plan. They say it has all of the benefits of a lease and a purchase. Has anyone else heard of this program? I have never leased a car and I dont really want to, but this sounds so good. The deal they have put together states that the MSRP is 18,547 but they will sell it to me for $100 under invoice at 17,111. And a I had a lump sum of money to put down of $3600. That puts my payments at $168 for 36 months. He mentioned an interest rate of 6.47% and that the car had a guaranteed value of $11,200 or so at the end of three years. And at that time I could turn it in as a lease, purchase the car or trade it in on a new one using the equity towards a new one. What am I missing? Where are the hidden clauses? I would most likely trade it in after three years is this a smart move? PLEASE HELP!!!
    Try asking in one of the leasing discussions for the model Honda you are shopping.

Here's one example:

Car_man, "Honda CR-V Lease Questions" #37, 9 Apr 2006 6:34 am

You can find the other make/model leasing discussions by using the Browse by Vehicle search box on the right sidebar.
  • maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    Is it appropriate to start a discussion about purchasing Extended Warranties under the topic about the particular minivan we are considering. Right now Chrysler owners are facing unique situations in their decision as to whether to purchase one or not.
    Chrysler is in a unique position - you may want to post in the Chrysler's New Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty discussion instead of a stand-alone Vans one just to get the benefit of owners of all Chrysler products.

But there are other expensive things to break on new cars now besides the engine and transmission that an extended warranty would cover.

We have several Extended Warranty discussions over in SUVs for specific make/models and they seem to work for the owners (and potential owners), although we do wind up referring people to the broader Extended Warranties discussion in Smart Shopper. That one is especially good for non OEM extended warranties too.
  • jonarobijonarobi Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everybody,

I am in the process to buy a car to be used as a company/private car. I am now facing a very difficult choice (at least for me!) and I would like to have as many inputs as possible so I can make the right/better choice. I need to pick between the 2 following cars:

Car 1: Suzuki SX4 Crossover 2008 – Brand new!
    • 2WD
    • Normally loaded
    • 3 Yrs warranty unlimited miles/km
    • $16,000.00

Car 2: Honda CRV 2005 – Used car in very good condition
    • 4WD
    • Fully Loaded (Leather seats, CD Changer and the whole nine yard!)
    • Sun roof
    • NO WARRANTY WHAT SO EVER
    • $15,500.00

As you see the price is pretty much the same and this is why I need your help.

What would you do and why?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Jonathan
    In addition to the 2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover discussion and the topics in Honda CR-V you may want to look into our What's the best vehicle for my needs? discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ferkyferky Member Posts: 20
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this. . . . .

I'm wondering if there is a consensus on the right strategy for getting the best lease deals. I have a detailed quote from one dealer and want to shop around other local dealers to see if it can be beat (there is a lot of competition in my region). Would I be better off giving the new dealer all of my specifics and see if he can beat it, or should I make him work to come up with his own numbers?

Thanks