Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sure - it's right here now:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12d514/16732#MSG16732

For future reference, if you are in a discussion, you need to go to the LAST page of messages in that discussion (there's a "last" link above the first message, and also below the last message on any given page). When you are on the LAST page of messages, you will see a "post a message" box. You can also post in a discussion by hitting "reply" on any existing message.

I know we're different around here, but starting new threads for each individual question actually often results in your question being overlooked. If you ever need help finding a good place to post your question, just ask here, or email any host, and we'll be happy to help you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I've gone through the entire set of threads here in the News & Views, and also the archives (which there are not many) looking for an older thread. Does anyone remember the "Where in the World are you?" thread. I need to find out from whoever posted the map where they got the program to be able to place where everyone is. :confuse:

Thanks.

Odie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Sneakers did it manually.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Yea, that was something I did as people "signed in" by revealing their locations. I had almost forgotten about that. Not sure what happened to the dicussion though.

Maybe we need to do an updated version of it. Maybe with a Facebook page or something :P
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I found a good "Free" online program for doing in by using BatchGeo. Granted it used a live updating Google map and you can't change the icons to cars or anything, but it works for what I need.

Odie
  • koolerkooler Member Posts: 22
    edited February 2012
    I was wondering if Edmunds.com has a place where I can post my car (description, pictures, etc.) that I want to sell? I thought I heard they do, but I have not found any Forum that is for selling used cars.
    If I just missed it and you do with the option to pay for a Carfax, post pictures of the car, maybe put it in a forum for VW Diesel Jetta Sportwagons. Or the area of the States the car is located?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    At this time, Edmunds has no classified or "for sale" forums... Sorry!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hydrman2hydrman2 Member Posts: 1
    not sure if this will help,and going to make a long story short. we purchased a car on the 4th of feb. and well lets just say it broke down, we took it back to the dealer and they said they would make it right and fix it for us, we took it to our mech. before we took it to them and it gave us the code p0505. well after getting the car back a few days later it wasent fixed, the owner of the lot himself came out and picked up the car and said he would make it right and for us not to worry, and well one thing after another of them telling us what was wrong and them fixing things we had asked if they would get us out of the car, only because they stated if they couldnt fix it they would do that, on several occasions they stated this, we picked up the car yesturday and got 2 blocks from the lot and guess what the engine light came on we turned around and went back, he wanted us to take it to our mech, we ended up taking it to the manufactures lot and had their service guys look at the car and low and behold it came back with the same code p0505 we took it back to the dealer where we bought the car told them what the mech said and showed him the paper work, we spoke to the mech. who worked on the car and he told us he knew that was the problem but they didnt want to fix that, even the owner stated he fixed 3 of the 4 issues hoping that would solve the problem, I would like someone elses insite on what they think we should do.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A couple of places you can discuss your issues:

Check Engine light

Dealer Dis-Service Horror Stories

My Salesperson Misled Me

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • bimloverbimlover Member Posts: 8
    i want to buy a pre-owned mbz s550. the car that i want is for sale at a dealership with a not so good reputation. i want to know if i should go to another mnz dealer that i prefer and who has a much better reputation and get the car transferred or stay with the bad dealership and take my chances ? thank you.
  • victorvusavictorvusa Member Posts: 1
    Prior to making this post I searched with the following terms: automotive lease leasing negotiator negotiation

The search results bring up links with very good summaries on what information should be prepared prior to (Example: reviewed information at edmunds). However, I still want to pay a negotiator to represent me in getting favorable terms in the new car lease.

I looked at several negotiation companies online, but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find reviews that might make it easier to pick one that is trustworthy.

May I request suggestions on how to evaluate negotiation companies (beyond a simple BBB check), and perhaps, may I also ask that if anyone reading this has successfully hired their own negotiator for this purpose, then who did you use?

Thank you.
    edited February 2012
    I doubt that a dealer would be too interested in doing a "swap" for a used car. But you could tell the lousy dealer that you want your mechanic to check it out and take it to the good dealer's shop for the once over. If it's still under warranty, then you can take it to any dealer for service.

Try asking in the Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer? discussion.
    edited February 2012
    I don't recall many posts or discussions about auto brokers, much less any about a lease broker. You could try asking in the How to Negotiate a Good Deal on a Car Lease discussion. Oh, here's a thread:

thelastbill, "Stories from the Sales Frontlines" #65299, 21 Feb 2011 3:45 pm

These articles may help:

Using a Car Broker to Buy Your Next Vehicle

Should You Use a Car-Buying Concierge?
  • joserajosera Member Posts: 12
    I found an dealer (it's really just 2 guys who run a used car business) that wanted to buy my 2008 IS 350. The offer was to pay out my lease (so they would have the title to sell my vehicle) and pay me the difference from our agreed upon amount. They picked up the car from me on February 1st. We signed all the Lexus paperwork together and they gave me a check for the payoff amount and I FedExed it to Lexus. Lexus received it and told me it was not a valid form of payment. It was not a certified check.

I let the dealer know and they said they would re-send payment. It's been over 6 weeks now and I have called and emailed the dealer relentlessly and there is always an excuse or they say the check is in the mail.

They may be waiting until they sell my car so they actually have the money to make the payoff but what if they don't sell it for awhile?

They stopped replying to my emails right after they picked up the car. I guess they don't want anything in writing. I do have all the previous emails where they offer to buy the vehicle and explain how it works. I have attachments of their dealer license and they paperwork where Lexus authorizes them to make the payoff.

When I get them on the phone it's always "let me check on it and call you back." I never get a call back and now they are ignoring my calls altogether.

I've had Lexus call them directly, they told them the same story "check is in the mail."

I've contacted the BBB, the police (in case this is a scam) and my lawyer. Does any one here have any advice?
    Was in a very similar situation 15 years ago, and it did not end well for me. I ended up on the hook for the full payoff to the lessor.

Drive by the dealership... if you don't see your car, report it stolen immediately and tell the police everything you've described here. Since Lexus Financial still has the title (and won't release it until they're paid), they still consider you responsible for the vehicle. Hopefully you didn't cancel the insurance on the Lexus yet; if you did, that will make financial settlements a little more difficult (but not impossible).

You may also want to ask some of the dealership folks who frequent the forums at this discussion: Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

edited March 2012
    Unfortunately, I can not drive by the dealership. I am in NY and they are in TX. They picked the car up at my home and said they shipped it to TX.

When I google my VIN I do see it up for sale on various sites. I see it has 2000+ miles since I last saw it so I believe they drove, not shipped it to TX.

I did cancel the insurance to transfer my plates and insure my new vehicle.

I have been in touch with the police. They are torn as to whether it is a civil matter or just bad business since the dealer was answering all my calls for many weeks. But at this point, I am ready to file a criminal complaint for grand larceny by fraud.

I'll ask on the dealership forum, thank you.
    edited March 2012
    They can't sell it without the title (nor could they legally drive it to Texas without a registration), so they either did get it from Lexus or they faked one. Check with Lexus if they've been paid and whether they've released the title. If not, your criminal complaint is much stronger.

Good luck with this...

I've been in touch with Lexus daily, they have not been paid yet. They have not released the title. If they they were paid, I have no complaint. I just need Lexus to tell me it's paid in full and I am no longer responsible for the vehicle.
  • sarmssarms Member Posts: 8
    Hello, I was planning on using a co-signer that lives out of state...is this allowed by the dealer & what is the process? Would they mail the paperwork to them & the co-signer would sign & return it?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This is a good question for our Quick Question for a Car Dealer discussion. Just click on my link and post over there, and we'll see if someone can give you a solid answer.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• anitraartanitraart Member Posts: 1
    I am annoyed driving around with a poorly fitted glass is as dangerous as driving around with a damaged glass.
    While you didn't give the year, make, and model of your car, I'd suggest using the "Browse by Vehicle" section to the right to select the correct vehicle and check for open discussions regarding glass or body repair.

• pumpironypumpirony Member Posts: 5
    I'm a little confused about Salvage Titles. From everything I've read, a car needs to have damage amounting to more than around 70% of its value in order to be considered a Salvage vehicle. So how is it that I constantly come across ads that say things like "This vehicle has a salvage title due to a minor hit on the front bumper"? Clearly, a minor hit on a $8000 car's bumper is not going to cost anywhere near $5600 to fix. Are sellers like these just lying through their teeth and/or hoping buyers are complete idiots? Or is there a legitimate way a vehicle with minor damage might get a salvage certificate?
    edited August 2012
    Probably the best place to ask is in the Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion
  • trckhlptrckhlp Member Posts: 1
    Looking for some help solving an acceleration problem on a 2004 Nissan Titan. Vehicle has recently had a full service and all fluid levels are good. Vehicle was taken into the dealer and full diagnostics ran with no faults found by dealer. Failure "typically" occurs when it is hot outside. The engine "cuts" out when the engine is loaded and will not accelerate. There are three videos on this problem. Any input is appreciated. Air filter is good, vehicle runs great when it is cold out, fuel being ran is Supreme Chevron with Techron. Do not suspect a fuel pump because it never does it when it is cold out. When engine cuts out, it sounds like one or two of the cylinders are being shut down by not getting spark. Transmission is not slipping and auto transmission fluid looks and smells good. I suspect an electronic problem, maybe a wire or sensor that is getting shorted then causing the computer to limit the engine. Sometimes the fault can be cleared by turning the truck off then back on, but sometimes not. Truck has never faulted when it has been cold.
    Here are links to You Tube videos of the problem.
    http://youtu.be/6pOzMTHvG_A
    http://youtu.be/uDF-o1Uwk1A
    http://youtu.be/fJsE6L0bcrU

Feel free to email me at trckhlp@gmail.com
    edited August 2012
    Try posting your question at the Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair discussion - should find some fellow Titan owners who may be able to assist.

• dhammerdhammer Member Posts: 13
    We leased a vehicle last weekend. We received a call today explaining that the finance manager filled out the wrong lease for us and we need to come in to sign a new lease. Does this give us an "out" on our vehicle if we weren't all that crazy about it? I'm just curious.
    Try these discussions - someone there should be able to answer:

General Questions about Leasing Vehicles
    Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

And while not currently active, check this discussion as well:
    Paperwork for buying, selling, financing and leasing

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Did you take delivery of the vehicle?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I bet they ask for more money. Tell them to pound sand or take the car back.
  • dhammerdhammer Member Posts: 13
    We did take possession of the vehicle.
  • vcrt7tzwz1vcrt7tzwz1 Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a new 2012 Subaru Forester. But the dealer did not offer me the manufacture 0.9% APR financing special offer. Instead, the dealer had a bank financed us with a higher APR. Is the dealer obliged to offer manufacture financing incentive? Is there any way I can ask the dealer to fix this?

http://www.subaru.com/special-offers/index.html
    edited September 2012
    Try the Questions About Financing New Vehicles discussion. And I'd contact Subaru too and ask them to look into it. Dealers make kickback money on preparing car loan packages so it's probably all about the extra profit.
  • maggienajmaggienaj Member Posts: 11
    Hello, how often should the automatic transmission fluid in Honda Civic 2007 be replaced?
    edited September 2012
    Every 60,000 miles per the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide. That's for an EX sedan; didn't check other trims.

You can skim similar questions in the Civic Transmission Questions forum.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    What does your owners manual say?

Or, you might only have 'codes' that set on the display. That is what my 2006 Ridgeline does. But read up on these also in your manual. In my Ridgeline, these codes are very criptic, an alpha and a number. So you might see something like A 1 thru 9 and B 1 thru 9. Or something like this.

Your owners manual will tell you what kind of service these codes pertain to. The service for the transmission should be in there. In general, no service is due until one of these codes appear.
  • archie2010archie2010 Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to lease an Audi but just wanted to understand what I am committing to and what the flexibilities are.

For example: if after some time, say 15 months, in to the lease, I decide that I like another car better and do not want to wait until the end of the lease to get the new car, what are my options? What would be the cost penalties for switching?

If the new car is also an Audi, does it change anything?
  • chaozz1chaozz1 Member Posts: 49
    If I run the lease through my corporation.They want to raise the
    payment from $494 to $545.
    They said with out me to guarantee the lease they have to charge
    more.Now when I did my BMW it was not like.
    Anyone run into this before?
    $50 bucks a month just seems like a huge amount.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It looks like your corporation may have a lower credit score than you do.
    I'm not sure how it would though.Only thing on it..ATT cell phones for last 4 years which is on on auto pay..Never late and my BMW that I had to cosign for the lease.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm not sure how it would though.

Sounds like not enough credit. Just a cell phone isn't going to create credit history.
  • pgb205pgb205 Member Posts: 10
    not 100% sure if this is the right forum to ask.

My car got flooded in Sandy and is not drivable. It's a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant with 90K+ miles on it.
    I have title and all the necessary documentation. What is the proper way of going about
    selling a car in this condition. My plan is to return license plates to dmv as outlined on dmv site:

Temporary surrender of vehicle plates (surrender vehicle plates for a season)
    You can surrender your vehicle plates and reinstate the registration later.
    You can apply for reinstatement of the registration at any DMV office that processes registration transactions. The DMV office will issue a new set of vehicle plates and can charge a vehicle plate fee of up to $25.00.

This way I can cancel my insurance until I get a new car.

My question is what my steps should be after the above is done. Do I just call any junk yard to come
    and tow my car. They give me money and I give them title to my vehicle and that's that?
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure your state has a release of liability that you would mail in with new owners name.
    Junk yard may actually charge you to take the car, I would call first.

My brother had his car totaled in a wreck.He posted a ad on craigslist
    with pictures. He posted it for $500 but got so many calls he told the people best offer, He ended up with $900 bucks .
    of course you will explain in the ad car was flooded and sold as parts car only.

plus craigslist ads are free.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    the wrecking yard isn't going to give you very much for it, but it is quick and easy. Yes, that's about it---they pick up the car, write you a check, and you give them title.

You can advertise it as a PARTS CAR, as is, where is and you might get a bit more for it.

No car dealer will want it, so forget about that.
  • pgb205pgb205 Member Posts: 10
    Is the junk yard(or whoever the buyer turns out to be) supposed to give me any sort of receipt. Or is the check proof good enough. Should I ask for a cashier's check? I also have AAA. I don't suppose they would be willing to tow the car to the junk yard?

thanks for all the great replies so far, guys.
    Junk yard will give you a receipt, If you sell it on craiglist you give them a bill of sale, and fill out a release of liability
  • eddyysseddyyss Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    What do you think how lucrative is a car trading business nowadays ?
    I mean trade car's from Australia,USA, Japan etc. to Europe and back? Do you have any experience with that ?

Ed
  • dbookstadbooksta Member Posts: 1
    I want to lease a wagon, minivan, or SUV, but I will only put about 5000 miles/year on it.

How can I find out which companies/models offer credits or higher residuals for such low mileage?
  • bigram03bigram03 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,

Looking to get a car here fairly soon and wanted to ask which is a better value car to buy (new or used)

With the way the used car market is right now which would be the best way to buy taking into account that we drive our cars till they die? We plan to keep anything we buy 15+ years are have concerns buying a used car that already has a chunk of its life used up only to save a few thousand bucks. Any advice is welcome