Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The already powerful turbocharged/intercooled 2.5-liter engine in the Forester 2.5 XT Limited gets a serious boost for 2006, pumping out an extra 20 horsepower (now at 230)

So does that mean Subaru is finally reporting the true HP rating? Note that even though HP allegedly increased by 20, the torque is unchanged.

Not sure whether the revised front and rear treatments are an improvement or not ;-)

-Frank
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    There are changes to the XT engine.

Bob
    Or at least that's what Subaru is using to explain the bump in HP ;-)

-Frank
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Sorry, I prefer the look on my '04 F-XT, at least for the tail. Blech, why they have to do that to the tail lights?

-Brian
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    the seat had to be removed. (!)

???!!!
    Bu....ll
    Just push the seat forward.
    I recently added a second underseat subwoofer into my WRX wagon - a 30 - 45 min job but I took a little more than an hour cause the subwoofer wasn't meant to be under the driver's seat.

In case anyone wonder why 2 underseat subwoofers.
    I'll be converting them to powered stereo mid-woofers when I get "real" subwoofers ;-)

Oh, the sub/amp package will come with the wiring harness. Just plug-n-play.

-Dave
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    maybe, but they are saying higher compression ratio and new intake manifold.

Maybe non-premium will be definitely out now.

John
    Although it's never bothered me... changes to the brake booster help improve overall brake feel
    should make a number of people happy.

A strengthened rear crossmember increases lateral rigidly to help improve handling response. Does that mean they went with a larger rear anti-sway bar?

-Frank
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A little over an hour until the chat room opens at 8:45PM ET

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles Message Boards

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I'm not so hot on the look either. For one thing, we're missing the 17" wheels that "make the look" on the JDM models. Don't like the tail lights. the front end looks OK monotone, but I don't like the look in LL Bean two-tone. It gets cluttered and busy with the grill.

If I was in the market for a Forester, I would be finding a hot deal on an 05!! They will be an excellent value with incentives.

Craig
    Know what my first reaction was to the revised front end... Ford Escape. That's not a compliment!

-Frank
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I'm really hoping they don't start the tail light treatment on the other Subies. Where do they get the marketing data that says this is something Forester owners want?

-Brian
  • vanslamvanslam Member Posts: 4
    ""So does that mean Subaru is finally reporting the true HP rating?"" What do you meen, does subaru under rate there HP rating??

Thanks Jason :)

2005 forester X
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't like them either. I do like like the front though. And, yes, the MIA JDM 17" wheels look MUCH better than the dinky 16" units.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Saw it at the unveiling, front row seats. :-)

Looks beefier, so those that prefer an SUV look will like it more, those that see it as a sporty wagon will like it less.

I liked the front end. The current one gets compared to the Elantra, so I'd prefer being compared to the Escape instead, which is a handsome (if conversative) design.

The hood looks taller, and combined with the lift in the suspension it looks more macho overall.

Center console is genius. Loved it. That plus the rear arm rest make it a lot nicer for 4 passengers.

Disappointments? No Nav, no 5EAT, no Sportshift, no VDC, no SAC. I guess that stuff will have to wait until MY08.

Reaction from the show attendees was positive, actually. I met Mike Whelan and the same Dave from Product Planning from NAIAS. In fact Rich Ceppos was in line after me to talk to Mike, it was funny.

-juice
  • rhody_marcorhody_marco Member Posts: 21
    Wow...these pictures sure make me glad we got our 2005 Forester X.

2006 gripes...

- No more charcoal body mouldings. The shiny, body-coloured ones are a magnet for scratches in the real world. Call me a purist, but I thought the primary purpose of bumpers was to BUMP. My dull-coloured cladding will look a helluva' lot better after a year's worth of shopping carts, brush, and park-by-feel than the shiny stuff.

- Shiny, body coloured door handles = more scratch magnets.

- Frank...spot on with the Ford Escape comparison. They've integrated the front bumper with what surrounds the grille. The bumper on my 05 X is completely seperate from the grill framing - a more durable design, IMHO. After a good whack in the 06, you'll have to replace a larger - and likely more expensive - piece. I bet it's a cost-cutter at the assembly line, tho'.

- About that grill...It's bigger and seems to push the hood higher. Does that mean less visibility over the front ? I wouldn't be surprised if highway mileage drops a bit, as the new shape looks less aerodynamic.

- I do like the understated Subaru logo in the back. However, the subtle effect is offset by the teeny-bopper rear lights. The lens assemblies look fragile, to boot.

Get the 2005 models before they're gone.

Peace.

Marco
    Jason- It is widely accepted that Subaru under-reported the HP ratings for the FXT with 230 to 240 hp being a more accurate figure. I've no idea why but some speculate they did so to try and avoid cannibalizing sales from the WRX.

-Frank
  • vanslamvanslam Member Posts: 4
    makes sence, thanks!
  • rjlrjl Member Posts: 2
    I;m looking to buy a 2002 Forester L 4 cylinder 2 1/2 liter engine with 22,700 miles. I am concerned about the Engine Head Gasket. I've heard there are problems here
  • rjlrjl Member Posts: 2
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 Forester L, 4 cylinder, 2 1/2 liter, automatic, 22,700 miles. I have heard there have been problems with the 2002 Forester with the Engine Head Gaskets. Have you had problems?
  • forestercurtforestercurt Member Posts: 7
    I totally agree with your post.
    05 X Owner for alot of the same reasons you mentioned!
  • speedwagonspeedwagon Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased an 05 Forester X. I love it! Chose it over the XS because I like the black cladding and interior fabric better.

However, I'd like to replace the rear drum brakes with disc brakes. Can anybody provide guidance on what rotors and brake pads might be best? I'm considering PowerSlot and Hawk HPS.

Also, is it best to have the dealer install? What other parts/components are needed?

Thanks for your help.
  • otodoranotodoran Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I've just test drive today a Forester (XS LL Bean and XT Premium) and I remember the rear seats have a position that seemed too vertical. I know they can fold, but I'm not sure if you can adjust their "upright" position (lean them a little bit to the rear) (the salesman did not mention this).

Thanks for any input.
    Ovi.
  • woofytexanwoofytexan Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a '05 Subaru Forester XS with the 6 CD Changer. I want to install a bluetooth kit and an Aux. port for my iPod.
    I cannot locate what model or manufacturer the factory radio is in the manuals. I have looked on several Subaru boards but still have not been able to find anything. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated before I order any kits.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    ... and wasn't impressed at all. Basically, just a face lift that doesn't do much for the look of the car. The rear tail lights look ridiculous. So do the mirror turn signals. What a waste. The front end looks OK, though I prefer the '03-'05 look. The A/T shifter gate STILL hasn't been fixed - what is Subaru thinking? Interior features are basically unchanged. I don't know why they even bothered with these changes.
    woofytexan, "Subaru Forester (SUVs Board)" #16280, 26 Mar 2005 2:36 pm

It's a Panasonic aka Matsushita aka National
    The model is on the face of the unit, usually "P...something"
    There is also another model number on the top cover of the unit. That's also the Subar part no.
    Neither of those numbers will get any info on Panasonic's website.

-Dave
  • otodoranotodoran Member Posts: 2
    I went back to the dealer and indeed the upright position seems too vertical and it's not adjustable (like in CR-V, RAV4 and so on).
    Also the rear seat base is a bit short and it seems too horizontal. It is almost 2" shorter than the one in Outback.
    Otherwise I like the car. Any one has any input on this?

Thanks.
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    As for what other parts are needed, Calipers, brake lines, parking brake cables & there could be more parts that I haven't thought of. I bet your dealer won't touch your conversion. If they do it's going to cost a bundle. I'd recommend finding a donor car in the junk yard & buying all the parts there.

Chuck
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    From the first week of November I couldn't go more than 160 miles at half-tank mark on the turnpike.
    Today, 185 miles. (2001 Forester S.)
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    moe5.....if you haven't already figured out how to do installs try this site.....a lot of good info much of it applies to various models. If nothing else it is a great reference.

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/library/

Hope this helps!
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    friend, this is not an upgrade I would contemplate. You are looking at a lot more than just rotors and pads. Namely, differences in ABS components, proportioning valves, parking brakes, etc.

John
    I thought I saw somewhere that the new Foresters had reclinable rear seats. Was that my imagination? In any case, the Forester's rear seat isn't one of it's strong points so if you're anticipating carrying adults back there on a regular basis you might want to look elsewhere.

-Frank
  • speedwagonspeedwagon Member Posts: 6
    John & Chuck, thanks for the info -- much appreciated. I'll stick with upgrading the just the rear sway bar!
  • tim3tim3 Member Posts: 28
    Hello,

My parents are considering purchasing either a 05 or 06 Forester X automatic in the next few months. Their biggest hesitation is whether or not the Forester would be up to the job of towing a 1,000 pound camping trailer. We know the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs with the automatic. However, they live at 7,500 in Arizona and do most of their traveling around the West. They're concerned the Forester won't have the guts to the job, especially at higher elevations.

I should mention they are replacing a '97 Jeep Cherokee that had 160K and ran like a champ before it was stolen, used to carry illegal immigrants across the border and then totaled in a hit and run, but that's another story....The Jeep handled the trailer just fine for the most part, although they could still themselves chugging in first gear up a steep grade even with 235 lbs of torque. I should also mention that they drive 20K to 25K a year and would like to keep the next vehicle well past 200k. So any thoughts or experiences towing with a Subaru in the West?

Thanks, Tim
    The Forester X should be capable of towing the trailer but at elevation it sure won't be effortless. By contrast, the Forester XT with its turbo would thrive in the thinner air. It also has the same 235 lbs of torque but weighs almost 1000 lbs less that the Cherokee so your parents could actually pass people going uphill :-)

-Frank
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    Arghhh!!!!
  • saqsaq Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guest2:

I think you need to negotiate based on the total price of the car, not monthly payments. If you are financing, you should pay attention to the interest rate.

To me, 28800 + 3550(down) = 32350 Seems high.

Bankrate.com has the latest loan rates you can cross ref there. Good luck.

Saq
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    What you missed is the poor beacon score. He is probably baying at least 10% interest.
  • daft_punkdaft_punk Member Posts: 6
    You're getting robbed. Go to another dealership.

The daft one
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... no spamming the boards. A single posting in the proper forum is adequate.

tidester, host
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for the first of our two weekly chat sessions. Tonight we'll talk Mazda and anything else that happens to come up! The chat rooms opens at 8:45PM ET

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    2002 - if you are truly concerned about the head gaskets, avoid 99-02 models, go for an 03+. Keep in mind if you use the coolant additive you're fully covered for 8/100.

Drum->Disk conversion? I'd find a wrecked car and salvage all the parts from that. This junk yard specializes in Subies:

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

They're in New England, of course, where 95% of all Subies live.

Towing 1000 lbs should not be a problems. You're at less than half the capacity.

If power is a concern and you really want the base model, wait until the 06 models arrives, since they get 173hp and AVLS for smoother power delivery.

But I'd still recommend a turbo. At altitude when everyone else is wheezing you'll be passing them wondering why they're going so slow.

-juice
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    I'm also going to recommend the XT turbo. It will handle the altitude better than the NA motor. It should also get as good or better mileage than that Cherokee.

Chuck
  • woofytexanwoofytexan Member Posts: 2
    Dave,

Thanks for the info. I've been so excited about the vehicle that I did not notice that number. It is P130. I guess I will look in Google Groups and some of the IRC Channels to see if there is anyway to get more details about the unit.
    The main things I am trying to find out is 1) does the unit support a mute function and 2) does the unit have an aux port in the back or support one of the Crutchfield aux plugs.
    I'm actually averaging about 5 mpg better in the FXT than I managed with my Cherokee :-)

-Frank
  • tim3tim3 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the feedback about towing at high altitudes. The XT is an intriguing possibility. I’m having trouble envisioning my 67-year-old parents in a vehicle faster than a Porsche, but then they’ve surprised me before. Perhaps I’m just envisioning the disappointment I’ll suddenly feel in our 04 X, if they get an XT. I’m not sure, however, that they will like the extra cost, increased insurance, decreased gas mileage (over the X) and the premium fuel requirement of the XT (even though it will only amount to a few hundred dollars a year). And will a turbo engine last 250K or more? What they didn’t like about the Cherokee was the crappy gas mileage and the fact that it felt like it was more vehicle than they needed 90 percent of the time. Their needs/wants for a vehicle are simple and modest: it has to handle the 1,000 pound trailer, cost around $20K, be cheap to maintain, get around 30 mpg on the highway, last forever and have AWD. :) And, oh yeah, it has to be low enough so my 5'1" mother can lift her end of the canoe up on the car. (Surprisingly, the Cherokee was low enough – barely). But they’re not asking for much really...honest...

Tim
    Well the X satisfies all those requirements. Just don't expect "zippy" performance while towing that trailer. And I'll echo Juice's suggestion that they wait for an 06 since it gets an 8 hp bump.

-Frank
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I'm not sure that I'd recommend the X for towing in the mountains as it has rear drum brakes.

I don't think they want to experience brake fade going down a mountain.

Remember that the Rocky's are REAL mountains. :-)

DaveM
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Also consider an Outback with the H6 motor. It would handle that trailer better than a Forester, just because of the added size of the car. They will probably like the H6 better than a turbo H4 too.

Some of those requirements are divergent, so your parents will need to make a few compromises.

Craig
    The main things I am trying to find out is 1) does the unit support a mute function and 2) does the unit have an aux port in the back or support one of the Crutchfield aux plugs.

No, and No :(

I've heard of one or two people attempting an autopsy on the unit to see if any DIYs [Aux plug] can be performed with the External CD changer input, but I've not seen any updates.

I have the upgraded OEM sound system when I bought my WRX, and was looking in the direction you were but finally decided to go the aftermarket route.
    Anyway, I recently replaced my OEM with the Kenwood KDC-MP828 and added another underseat subwoofer with intent to upgrade with aftermarket speakers later. However, I was delightfully surprise that the OEM upgraded speakers are pretty darn good with the aftermarket HU [22watts RMS/50watts max]. Pushed the volume to 23, which is plenty too loud for me, and the speakers held without distortion.

-Dave
    I'm with Craig here, the need to tow and the 30mpg desires are kinda tough to satisfy.

Forester X comes closest to meeting all those, IMO. 1000 lb trailer won't kill the brakes, just use engine braking (3rd in an auto, 3rd or 4th in a manual trans).

-juice
This discussion has been closed.