Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• 98in_cuse98in_cuse Member Posts: 9
    Juice wrote: Did you get an estimate for the work?

Thanks for the advice - I tried to answer yesterday but the message didn't post:
    the timing belt is around $450, the "quick-fix" cylinder rebuild is $850 and the two new cylinders are $2500. If they find the clutch needs replacement it will be another $750. The timing belt would be no charge with either the cylinder rebuild or replacement.

I'm still weighing my options and hope to look at the 2006 before deciding what to do. I know the timing belt needs to be done soon as I'm pushing my luck on that.

The car may be worth about $4500 as a trade-in.

Kathy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'd pay the $850. That's about 2 car payments. Odds are pretty darn good that you will extend your ownership for 2 months, I'm sure you'll do much better than that actually.

Given the included timing belt, that's what I would choose. It's only $400 extra, and that's just one single car payment!

Given the mileage I wouldn't even object to a new clutch. But if it's not slipping I wouldn't change it.

I'd do the $850 job even if you will trade it in - the buyer will want to see reciepts for the belt.

Best of luck and please keep us posted, we'll try to help out in any way we can.

-juice
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Thanks for posting the info. I am also looking for a set for my wife's new Bean.

Back in 01 I was looking for a set for my Forester because I always have my window open somewhat. I was running into the same problem with Subaru making them but not making them available on this side of the ocean. I asked Subaru why and they said they used to offer them but stopped.

In this Forum lakepop found a dealer in N.H (Exeter) that had contact with a company that made a clone of the Subaru part. He would special order a bunch at a time and sell them for $125 plus shipping. Several of us bought some, me personally, 3 sets. My wife and I each have Foresters, my second (now her second too).

My wife misses them on her new 05, as I would :cry: , so I contacted Exeter. Alas, they have no idea what I was talking about. "Mike" seems to have left with the info. :mad:

I need to talk to a parts guy anyway, so I will ask if he has access to the Subaru part, since we now have the part number. That way it would be sort of a "group buy". I don't expect miracles but it is worth asking.

Has anyone been keeping count on how many are interested? I would assume the price would be less than $150, if available.

Somewhere I have the packaging for the clones. I remember searching for more info when I got them, to no avail. I do remember it was a Canadian company. Maybe someone up north has info, or could ask around.

Frank
    Thanks, Juice - I was leaning that way after looking around and considering the idea of getting back into car payments (4 years without them so far). I may wait just a bit more before doing this project, though, to accumulate more Subaru bucks!

The body is still pretty good - remarkable for where I live in a winter salt-saturated zone...

Thanks again for the help, Kathy
  • rdbandkabrdbandkab Member Posts: 17
    Looks like I can get a class 2 hitch with the 1 1/4" receiver for the Forester.....then I can get an adapter to get the receiver to a 2" opening. All with a tongue weight max of 300 lbs. Dirtbike and rack below 300 by 20-30 lbs. Will the Forester's suspension handle that kind of weight over the back? Or will I be popping wheelies?

thanks!
    rich
    Galvanized steel, Kathy. :)

Don't wait too long, OK? That belt could snap.

Rich: the tongue is rated for 200 lbs. So that's pushing it a little. You don't want to lift the front wheels and lose steering traction.

-juice
    Thanks juice.

I figured an aftermarket hitch could get me the tongue weight I required, but the suspension might not be up to it... :)
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I work about 10 min from that dealer (didn't buy there for a number of reasons) I will check about the vents.
    Don't be surprised if they stare at you blankly. Mike used to be in charge of parts, and was helpful AND a nice guy. The guy I exchanged messages with said that Subaru stopped making those a while ago, and we know that isn't true. He knew nothing about the clones, and didn't seem interested. He said IF they sold them he knew nothing about it. I told him there was no "if", I had bought 3 sets, 1 of which was still in the driveway on my 02.

When I first got my 01 I hated that I had to wipe water off the door armrest switches while I was driving in rain, and on hot days I couldn't leave the windows open enough to vent when parked because of possible rain, and security. I really like my wife's 05 but I would not swap my Forester for a new one if I couldn't have the side visors. I am spoiled. She misses them more than she thought she would.

Good luck.

Frank
    Juice - I forgot to mention that the estimated life of the $850 repair is 1 1/2 years, though it could be more. That's OK if I'm just trying to get it to last a couple more years for my use, but is it a liability on a trade-in if I decide to do that in the near future?

What do you think? Thanks for the input and I'm thinking more about that timing belt! :)

Kathy
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    If anyone is looking for a UK dealer, try http://www.bell-colvill.co.uk/ .
    I haven't actually ordered from them but I corresponded with them on something that I thought I needed (center caps for Euro 17" Forester wheels).

In the U.S. try http://www.cc-b.com . I ordered my wheels from them. It took over two months because they were held up with a WRX wheel group buy, but I finally got them.

-Dennis
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Just a follow up on Franks post . A few of us purchased the window vents and I for one have had zero issues with them. They are stilll on my 01 Forester and will miss them greatly when I upgrade. They were meticulously installed and have never produced any of the issues (whistling..etc) that people have said they cause. Moreover they eliminated the door /window open drip which was a huge pain.

So I reccomend them if they can be found. Hopefully I can get mine off when I upgrade.

Just my .02

lakepop
  • ishmaelishmael Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody actually seen the 2006 Forester cargo space yet? It can matter whether the loss is just a result of lower rooflines or whether the new rear seats don't fold flat. I may be able to see one of the new models this weekend and will post what I find.
    Hi lakepop, I think of you every time it rains. :)

I put on the 3 sets I bought, and I agree they all have been trouble free. As I understand it some complaints of whistling on other Subaru vehicles were the reason that conservative Subaru stopped offering them here. Too bad because they are an excellent addition to the Forester.

It is funny you mention taking them off to transfer. I was measuring both Foresters to see if they would fit. I think so.

What is a little confusing is that the current part number is different from the Subaru number you and I had for our 01s. The new ones seem to have clips too, which ours didn't have. I would hate to rip them off and then find out they don't fit. :surprise:

I would measure about 400 times and maybe make a template before I started prying. :D

Do you remember the name of the company that made our clones?

Frank
    18 months at the average car payment of $400 comes out to $7200 worth of car payments if you chose to get a new one instead.

I'd still fix it. :-)

I've driven a 2006 Forester, the cargo area didn't seem any different. I folded the seats back at the NY auto show and don't recall a big change, either. But I did not fold the seats on my recent preview drive because at the time I didn't see any need.

-juice
    Doesn't look any different to me. LL Bean has those rub strips to make loading easier.

-juice
  • toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    Juice--did you ever find out for sure about what happens when the timing belt snaps? :blush: I'm a couple thousand overdue, myself.

Subspicious--I found the missing cargo space in the Forester. They put it in the Tribeca.
  • canadianforestcanadianforest Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

Further to my previous posts ... Got my 05 XS Premium (leather & moon) last week -- great car except my wife is the one who gets to drive it (she makes more money) to work and I get the Corolla. Oh well.

But ... I am confused from previous posts to this forum on the security (alarm) system. Up here in Canada, there is nothing factory-installed on any Forester but from what I seemed to have read here, perhaps this isn't true for the U.S.? I'm scheduled to get one installed by my dealer next week, a Subaru supplied one. Debated getting a Viper system from a retailer/installer here in town (they are going to tint my windows next week anyway) but their alarm would in fact cost more than my dealer's.

If I'm wrong and the US cars don't have any alarm built in, is there anyone here who has installed the Subaru one? Not only is it cheaper but I figure would have less chance of mucking up the electrical system and hence warranty, etc.

Mike in Canada
    Not for certain, but I seem to recall the DOHC models being interference. Even if they aren't you could get stranded.

If you have more than 105k miles change that belt! :o)

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not sure if the Subaru is an "interference" engine. If it is, and the belt snaps, you can expect some serious and expensive damage to occur. If it's not an interference engine, it shouldn't be too bad, other than leaving you stranded.

Bob
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Frank....Sorry I cannot remember the name of the company that made our window visors......I seem to recall that it was Canadian....but after that ?????

Again they have been seamless for me and I cannot understand why they are not avialable oem/aftermarket. But then I cannot understand why Haynes or Chilton don't put out a repair manual.....perhaps a restriction by Subaru?

As for pulling mine...I have a bunch of minor mods I'll need to undo prior to upgrading. These include the visors/CAI/strut brace/sway bar/axle back sport muffler and perhaps the 6 disc WRX radio. Fortunately I have all the oem stuff to put back on. I'm a believer that modded cars are harder to move than stock ones...ergo the swap back.

OK...got a little off topic there..........be well!

lakepop
    Went to Exeter Subaru this morning. The parts guy said they have not sold them in about 4 years. He said that Subaru did not want them selling them as they are held on by double stick tape and it would fail and blister the paint. ( I have had a set on a jeep here in NH for about 7 years with tape and no problem). He did not know where to get them.
    That's total nonsense, because Subaru in fact uses that tape on the factory fender flares on the Forester.

I know for certain because I installed them on mine.

-juice
    I believe the XS does not get the engine immobilizer. Is that correct? I would skip the factory alarm if that's the case. I went aftermarket because one wasn't on the '04 XT.

-Dennis
    I got an email from a Subaru Dealer in Toronto Canada. The side window vents are available in Canada at a cost of $ 303 (canadian) plus shipping. The total cost would be about $ 300 US. In short, it aint happening.
    Hi Mike. My wife just bought an 05 Bean Forester so I think I can answer your question. The Subaru alarm piggy-backs on the keyless entry system, so it is a plug-in.

The X has nothing so you add the keyless and then the alarm.

The XS has keyless so you just add the alarm.

The Bean comes with keyless and the alarm.

The Turbo alarm has the engine immobilizer, the others get the starter immobilizer. They all get the usual shock and forced entry detection.

The alarm qualifies for the insurance credit here in MA.

I like the Subaru alarm for the reason you mentioned, integration and no pointing fingers if a problem in the vehicle wiring develops.

Good luck with your new Forester!

Frank
    I found that the visors were a selling point on the Foresters I don't have anymore. I would only take them off if I could use them. I WOULD take off my rear sway bar though. I also keep any Factory parts.

Frank
    Ouch! :surprise:

So, so far it is cheaper to get them from England. How much sense does that make? :(

Maybe Mike in Canada can find us a connection? Hopefully his wife will want them for the new 05. ;)

There has to be a better way if we keep picking at it. The last time I went through this subiegal (allsubaru.com) was supposed to check on getting them from an over-the-ocean connection, but she never got back to me.

With Exeter at least you got a better answer than I did. I agree it has been a while but it was less than 3 years ago I bought my last set.

I have been applying things with that double-sided tape for a LOT of years, and I have never had ANY failures, even with MA winters. If they fail it is because the surface wasn't prepped correctly.

Juice - I was going to ask you if the flares were put on that way. I remembered you doing that. Timing.

Frank
  • toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    The standard engine in '01 was the 2.5L SOHC.

Juice--you were right about DOHC engines being the interference type. Here's a link to some Subie Belt info:

http://www.troublecodes.net/tbelt/subarutb.shtml

My replacement schedule is 105K miles or 105 months. I'm only half way to my month limit and have unusually high mileage resulting from less stressful open highway driving. I can probably get away with a few more miles, but I promise to get new belts soon. Until then, I'll keep my cellphone handy and maybe some panty hose too. ;)
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Not sure if this i the same thing but here is the link to the accessory on the Subaru Australia web site

http://subaru.com.au/explore/forester/accessorydetail.asp?item=23492&accessory=18937

Cheers

Graham
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Subaru Announces Pricing On 2006 Forester Models (Yahoo News)

Nice stumble you had a couple of weeks ago, 204meca. :)

Steve, Host
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    For US spec Subaru vehicles since 1997, ALL engines are INTERFERENCE engines. Which means , if the timing belt breaks, the valves can hit the pistons and cause severe damage. On top of that, all Subaru DOHC engines can also have valve to valve interference, meaning if the intake cam rotates out of sequence from the exhaust cam, the valves will hit one another and bend, chip or damage the valve seats.
    This is a discussion which comes up on other boards. ALL 2.5L world wide are interference engines.
    ALL DOHC worldwide are.
    ALL 2.2L US spec made starting in 1997 are.
    OF the remaining EJ series (4 cyl 2.2L based engines since 1990), the 1.4L, 1.6L and 1.8L) are not. We in the US don't get to see all the smaller displacement engines.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....great to see info on the '06 Forester....

..would it be a fair statement then - - spelling it out for a basic Navy type like me - that the Forester X - with the SOHC 2.5 boxer - is a non interference engine?

...again, these threads are gold.........best, ez......... :)
    ALL 2.5L are INTERFERENCE.......SOHC and DOHC. This means ALL US Spec Foresters have had an Interference engine since day 1. The Valve angle is so acute, that there is a negative clearance if the valve is open, and the piston reaches TDC.
    There is a Subaru site for Non-dealers which has a 4-6 month old Service Bulletins, as well as archive data. So long as the moderators don't think this is a violation of the link rule, you can read the following. You no longer need a subscription or logon to get to this wealth of information.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/TBeltEWWin05.pdf
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..your input/'endwrench', MM...best, ez
  • lsternelsterne Member Posts: 2
    In the middle of a rainstorm yesterday, the front wipers on my 2005 Forester 2.5 X suddenly stopped working. The obvious solution was to change the fuse. Doesn't work. Is this a relay? I'm starting to worry about this vehicle. At 5,000 miles the car was leaking oil through the camshaft seal. (The repair was covered by warranty. I understand this problem is quite unusual, but not unique.) The rear wiper snapped off at the arm a month ago when I closed the hatch. Is anyone else experiencing problems with the 2005?
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    We had our decision boiled down to the Honda CR-V and Forester 2.5X and insuring the CR-V cost less than the Subie by maybe 5 to 10% as I recall. I figure that Subie parts cost more? Less of them sold, so less in junkyards to donate used parts? I just don't know. But, we bought the Forester anyway (greatly disliked CR-V's garage space-sucking swinging tailgate, puny manual stick shift and the Honda styling left us flat) and have no regrets whatsoever.

Asa
    (2004 2.5X 5-Speed) :)
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Hey maybe we could convince Graham to broker a group buy on those "Slimline Weather Shields" :D It looks like they'd still cost $200 US after shipping though.

-Frank
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    Has anyone noticed that the '06 Forester link, on the Subaru website, indicates that the X model will be available with the all weather-premium package OR a moonroof package? Is Subaru finally going to offer the moonroof as an option without having to pay for the premium package?

Jim
    Frankly, I agree with Frank. :D

Too bad that is not Canadian $$. :cry:

Frank
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am just getting to know my "new" 03 FXS. Gave some visitors a tour of beautiful Bellingham on The Bay & we enjoyed the ride. I am uncertain if mine has a interior air filter, but noticed that the filter is located behind the glove box (after removing 9 screws) -

I decided to ask the experts before I took the time to remove the screws! Do all Foresters have the filter box or just those with that option? I am wondering if the all come with the capacity for a filter & one needs to only put a filter in or must it have been on option on the car? Can an appropriate filter be purchased anywhere other than a Subie dealer?

Count me in for a group buy on the vent visors.
    Thanks for the insurance info asa........

My wife doesn't think the Forester looks as adventurous as our current ride..the Xterra... So my purchase plans are in limbo for now.. The only other factor slowing a Subie purchase is that I would have to get a small bike trailer for my dirt bike.

Thanks!

rdb
    I contacted Bell & Covill in the UK regarding the Side Vent Visors E3610SA000 .
    After a few exchanges of notes (and exchange rates). The side visors are about $150 us (80 pound UK) by todays exchange rate. To ship one set to the US is an additional $126 (70 pound UK). $276 per set.
    If they ship 4-6, the part cost is the same , but to ship qty 4-6 is at a rate of $165 total (90 pound UK) to One location. For this amount, they require a 'Bank Transfer'. This would bring the price per kit to about $200 US. Then they would have to be reshipped to those from a single place at a lower rate I would imagine.
    If anyone would want more than 1 set, or live close enough to 'pickup' instead of add'l shipping, then maybe they could be the US delivery point.
    I would be interested in buying a set. Anyone who knows someone nearby, or would order more than 1 set could arrange it. Maybe taking Paypal as a way to transfer monies between buyers.
    Just a thought.....but there is no easy way to get anyone's Email, without a public post, to arrange this. If someone comes up with that, keep me in mind. I will arrange to do this, but right now, I have no idea of the shipping cost from northern NJ to anyone else interested.
    The Xterra is definitely more truckish than the Forester and if you're into serious off-roading then it's a better choice. However, if you want something that handles and rides better and gets better gas mileage then the Forester is a good choice.

-Frank
    My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!! My off roading is currently getting into muddy parking fields for mountain bike or dirt bike races... Or the occasional rocky dirt road....

Now if I can just find some cool pics of a Forester!!!!!! :shades:

Thanks Frank.....
    Yes, all Foresters have the air filter box. I installed the filter in my '04 and I didn't order the filter option. I believe I purchased mine from allsubaru.com.

-Dennis
    lsterne: wiper problems are not common, not sure what that would be. Has your dealer been helpful? If not call 800-SUBARU3.

My '98 did not have the air filtration option from the factory. I bought the kit and you basically cut away an end cap that is plastic with a knife and then insert the filter.

I'll find a photo for you, hang on...

-juice
    Would have been a cool off road pic if you didn't get your head in the way. ;)

Where is the picture of the airborne Forester?

Frank
This discussion has been closed.