Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460 Lease Questions

Comments

• eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    ocautoseeker - I would agree with you that BMW has cornered the leasing market. However, BMW's lease rates are based on supply and demand. Like all manufacturers, BMW increases the money factor (interest rate) when supply is low and decreases the money factor or offers other incentives when dealer inventories are building. Residuals are also a function of supply and demand, primarily in the used car market. BMW is able to place higher residuals on its vehicles because the used car market places a premium on BMWs because they are highly desirable and typically well maintained due to BMW's free maintenance program. With that being said, Lexus vehicles are extremely reliable and excellent used cars.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Agree with you 100%
  • traubetraube Member Posts: 28
    need advice.live in ny and part time in florida.Just got call from dealer in miami who is willing to sell me a new 2008 LS460 for 7500 off MSRP.Called my dealer in ny-where i have bought 3 lexus in past and he told me it was impossible.Any ideas what price of LS460 is now in northeast.Am considering buying car in miami and driving up to NY.HELP since i need to make a decision soon.
    thanx
    traube - What dealer in NY are you working with? If you need help, please feel free to email me.
    bay ridge lexus
  • wkalexandwkalexand Member Posts: 3
    I'm in South East Fla. Here's what I'm looking at

LS460L
    Mercury Metallic
    Black/Walnut interior
    Lux Pkg
    MSRP: 82,800

48 Mo Lease
    15k miles

flawless credit (800+)
    willing to wait till it hurts the dealer...

what's the best deal with 0 drive-off?
    Well, alot will depend on what they're willing to cap the cost at. Let's assume you could get ~ $5000 off an L. For 48 months at 15k/yr with nothing down but drive offs (1st mo, tax & reg, acquisition fee) you're looking at about $1235/mo + tax.

48 mo / 15k miles residual = 38% with a buy rate mf of .00245.

The SWB carries a 41% residual and the same mf.
    Thanks much for the ballpark on the pricing. I may need to revisit the decision... wanted to stay south of 1k/mo
    You could probably get close to $1k/mo, but it's gonna have to be on a SWB.
    ocautoseeker i need your advice.have been offered 2008 ls 460SWB for 7500 off MSRP in florida.I have bought 3 lexus in ny-rockville lexus in past and they tell me that is impossible-they will take 4500 off MSRP.
    What is the real price for the 2008 LS 460-I am willing to drive the car from florida if it is legit.What are others paying for the car?Are they really taking 7500 below MSRP
    Thanx
  • charliemcharliem Member Posts: 12
    Try ray catena in north new jersey. I bought my lexus in Phila. It wasn't very hard to get 8k off of msrp. My msrp was 76800. not including the wheels that retail for 2300 plus installation. I got the wheels for 800 installed. Point is you can do better than 8k off msrp.
    charlie
    On a SWB, there's about $8400 in front-end profit. $7500 off MSRP is a fantastic deal, given the vehicle doesn't have any additional aftermarket items like chrome rims, tinting, etc... those should be negotiated seperately.

Are you leasing it? Let me know if you want me to run the numbers for you?

What's the MSRP, $68,705?
    MSRP is 72030-includes nav-mark levinson and comfort pkg
    Get me the VIN and I can pull the invoice for you (if you want), but as stated above, $7500 off is a great deal on a flagship luxury car.
  • jdm1114jdm1114 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2005 GS 300 that is coming off lease April 1. Want to trade up to a LS460-L (fully loaded) and looking at 36 months, 15,000 miles.. no $ down-- just the usual drive offs-- any idea on what I should expect to pay per month?

Am a little concerned though by what I am hearing about the LS460's ability to handle bad weather-- snow in particular... the GS AWD was fine (I live in the NYC area) but saw several LS's and BMW 750 stranded last week when we got hit here with a late in the day snow storm. Any counsel on this.. IS there an AWD LS 460 in the future.. should I wait? or possibly look at the Audi A8 or Mercedes 4 matic? ">
    jdm1114 - The Lexus LS460 is a great car and I believe that Lexus will introduce an all-wheel drive shortly. However, if you are in need of guidance and advice, I would highly recommend the Mercedes S Class. The car drives very well, is available with a 4-Matic (AWD) option, carries the prestige of the Mercedes brand, and most importantly, it was recently redesigned and is one of the most beautiful vehicles on the road (in my opinion). If you were interested in purchasing your next car, I would recommend the Lexus due to the brands long-term reliability. Since you are leasing, I would highly recommend the Mercedes over BMW and Audi. The BMW 7 Series is an amazing car, but the styling is scheduled to change shortly and is not available in AWD. The Audi A8 is a great car with unparalleled interior refinement and the Quattro all-wheel drive system, but reliability is questionable and resale values are terrible (this impacts the lease because your depreciation expense would be quite high). If you need more help or advice, please feel free to email me.
    jdm114,

Lexus' current buy rate for the LS460-L is .00245 and carries a 48% residual assuming a 36 month/15k-mi/yr lease term. Understand that rates can and very well may change in April when you're ready to lease. However, with the current numbers, I can give you a ballpark.

Assume a fully loaded L around $83,600:

I don't know how aggressive dealer's will be in NYC, but I do know they've been less aggressive on the LWB than the SWB. Let's just say you get $5k off, and they cap the cost @ around $78,600, you'd be looking at pretax monthly payments of around $1360. This figure does NOT include Lexus Financial's acquistion fee of $600, so you'd have to pay that as part of your drive offs, or it can be capped into your payments. You'll also pay 1st month + dmv fees, and possibly a security deposit of $510. Typically, Lexus will waive the SD for those that qualify for it's tier1+ credit.

Hope this helps.

As for the other vehicles, they all have their pros and cons as previously mentioned. I do like the S-class Mercedes and as also previously mentioned, it has AWD, but now you're looking at a $100k vehicle!! The current lease programs are horrible through Mercedes currently. You would definitely want to shop a secondary lender if leasing an S-class.
  • cmachacmacha Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to lease a car for the first time. Dallas,TX. I've read that .00245 is the current rate. Is that really the lowest rate for those of us with the best credit scores? I was hoping for something lower. Is Lexus Financing who most people use? or should I look for a better deal from another leasing company?
    You can compare rates at leasecompare.com.

Btw... the lowest rate I've seen LFS publish on an LS in the past year was .00230.
  • gryangryan Member Posts: 35
    Do you think multiple security deposits is the way to go with a lexus lease?

how about paying all payments in a one pay program.

The dealer offered $7800 off MSRP of 67805
  • woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    I do not like monthly payments, so I was going to buy the vehicle outright. But they offered me the prepaid lease which I calculated had an interest rate of 4.5%. The initial value of the vehicle over the 36 months of the lease was 44K (they subtracted my trade in form this), all going to disappear due to depreciation. When this came up, it was my first lease, so I calculated the amount I was payinng over time several ways, and finally concluded that I was paying 4.5% for borrowing the money that was going to disappear anyway, instead of using my money. At least that is the way I looked at it. If I had bought the vehicle, I would have to have come up with 80.5 K, and there would have been a lost interest opportunity there as well, so I considered it a wash, and went for it. One benefit was that I paid tax on the 44K, not the 80.5 K, which here in CA is (gulp) 8.5%. Would I do it again--depends on the prevailing interest rate, and whether I think I can do better investing the funds. If so yes, if not than no. At 36 mo, I can still purchase the vehicle if I wish, and I may, since I keep most of my vehicles 50k miles or at least 5 yerars, but again, it depends on the conditions of the market then. And how wealthy or unwealthy I am feeling.
  • cmachacmacha Member Posts: 2
    I'm bummed... dealer is telling me MF = 0.00325 from LFS. That is with my excellent credit. Is this BS?
    Looks like a great deal! They were very aggressive on the cap cost! The base rate mf is .00245 for LFS Tier 1+ credit, so at .00255. you're either below the required FICO for the base rate or they marked it slightly.

Either way, the deal looks good... quetion them about the rate before signing, but if they don't budge, know the deal is still worth taking.
    South Florida Market:

Here's the car:
    LS460 (short)
    -Comfort pkg
    -Navi/Mark Levinson
    -Intuitive Parking Assist
    -One Touch power door closers
    List $70,835.00

Here's the deal:
    Cap cost: $61,874
    Money Factor: 0.00255
    Residual 51%
    36 months
    15,000 miles
    $1875 due at signing
    $1053 a month including tax

Should I sign off on this deal?
    The rates I posted are the current LFS rates for Feb. Either your dealer is lying or you just so happen to live in a region that is not offering any lease support on the rates. My leasing source is out of the midwest, but typically the numbers always jive on a national scale.

Tell them that you were quoted a .00245 buy rate from another dealer and see what they say.
    i also was told the factor was .00245 and as a previous customer i could get.00235 you can also put down 9 payments or as they call them multiple security deposits. this would lower the money factor to around .00175 then your payment would be much lower and you get the 9 payments back at the end. i did this with my 2004 ls 430. you may be able to get down to grand per month
    i do feel that $9000 off msrp is great my dealer offered $8000 and i really had to push for that
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi gryan. Making multiple security deposits on a Lexus is a much better way to reduce your monthly payment than making a capitalized cost reduction. Lexus Financial Services provides a .00010 money factor reduction for each additional deposit that lessees make, up to a maximum of nine. If I was in the market for a Lexus, I definitely would consider going this route. You're definitely getting a better rate of return here than putting your money in bonds, CDs, or a savings account right now. LFS also has an advance payment option on leases. It provides a money factor reduction of .00100 for consumers who pay for their entire lease in advance.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    For those of you who are interested, I believe that Lexus Financial Services lowered its standard lease money factor, what you would have to use to lease an LS 460 right now, to .00235 for customers who qualify for its top credit tier at the end of February. This may vary a little by region though.

Car_man
    Host
  • rorserrorser Member Posts: 4
    Say, I'm being told entirely different things by two Lexus dealers. One says multiple Security Deposits means multiple monthly payments, the other says $500 per Sec Dep. That is a big diff. If I make 9 X $500 vs. 9 X $1,400 up front to reduce my money factor. Who is correct? Thanks. R
    I am told it is the equivelent of your monthly payment rounded up to nearest $25 of course by doing it your payment will go done from 1400 because the money factor will now be lower, hope this helps. one other thing is NY does not allow this.
    Good luck
    I am being told by my N. Calif Lexus dealers that for each SD I make, up to 9, that the MF will be reduced by .008 for a total of .072 reduction. I believe you quoted a different figure. Also, I am being told that a SD = one month's payment, which seems odd to me. If my payment for a LS460-L is $1,300, that's a 12 grand deposit. Can you clarify Car_man?
    Richard
    Thanks. That seems to be what most dealers are telling me, but there is one who absolutely insists that each SD = $500. I'll call him again. Thank you.
    We've seen this number vary, but the discount should be anywhere from .00007 - .0001 for each additional SD.

MSD's are made up-front.
    What constitutes a Security Deposit? I have been told everything from $500 to the lease payment amount rounded to nearest $50. This is a huge range. I have heard that each SD reduces the MF by .00008 and that you can pay 8 or 9 of them.
    But, what constitutes a SD?
    I am being offered a MF of .000310 on a 48 mo. lease with a Cap Cost of $77,330 which includes the $600 Acquisition Fee. Any way I might get my payment down beside the $1,400 SDs?
    Thanks, R
  • jim9921jim9921 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to lease an 08 LS460 on for 36 mo/15K miles. I live in Portland, Or where there is only one Lexus dealer so there is no competition and I'm only getting about 5% off MSRP, which seems low, and they are quoting a money rate of .00329, which sounds pretty high. I've read on leasecompare.com that LSF rates have dropped to .00225 with 51% residual. CA dealer are pretty quick to discount 8-11% off MSRP and I assume lease rates would be better. Couple of questions:
    1. Is there any reason an out of state buyer could not lease a car from a CA dealer;
    2. My understanding is that I would pay CA sales tax only on the portion of the cap cost, and not the full MSRP.
    3. I have a 04 430 to trade in which is valued in OR at 25K. Would I be better off using that as a cap reduction or buying down the rate with SD's, or some combination of both. I would like to get my monthly payment as low as possible.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    If you lease from a dealer in California, but with an Oregon address, you shouldn't have to pay any sales tax, provided you roll all of your upfront costs into the lease.

California taxes the monthly payment, on a monthly basis. If your car is registered in Oregon, and that is where you receive your monthly lease bill, there should be no tax due.

You might have to pay California tax on the first payment, if you make that at delivery.... and, on anything you pay upfront (acquisition fee, etc.). So.. don't pay anything upfront!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm a Oregon resident and have been looking to lease an 08 LS460 from a CA dealer. Both the cap cost and money factors are better than I can find in Oregon, but so far I've had two SoCal dealer tell me they don't lease out of state. I've been pre approved by LFS with a FICO of 792, so it's not my credit in question. I know NV dealer will lease out of state, but prices don't seem as good as SoCal. If any non CA residents have leased a Lexus in CA, would you let me know what dealer you worked with and your experience.
    I've read some of the recommendations here about buying down the lease rate by making multiple security deposits, but when brought this up with my dealer in OR, they said they don't participate in the buy down program. Have others had the same experience?
    After a lease is signed is it LFS that holds the lease or the dealer?
    One final question: does the rate for excess mileage vary from dealer to dealer or is that set by LFS.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    "I've read some of the recommendations here about buying down the lease rate by making multiple security deposits, but when brought this up with my dealer in OR, they said they don't participate in the buy down program."

The security deposit thing is coming from Lexus financial and it has nothing to do with the dealership. They are still selling the same car. In the case of leasing, they sell the car to Lexus financial and you make payments to Lexus financial. I think they either use a different lender (e.g. a bank that give them more mark up) or they simply didn't know that they can do that. I leased an 02 LS430 and 02 SC430 using LFS and 9 security deposit to reduce money factor (at the time, each deposit bring down the money factor by 0.0001). The security deposit is based on your lease payment calculation without the deposit and round up to the next $25 (so some of the 1300 number is probably accurate. But it is awefully high for 70K version of LS.. yours must be 90K+ version.). It is a very good program, with the 0.0001 reduction, I calculated that my deposit in 02 make 11-12% guarantee (assuming that I pay my bill on time 8-))) by reducing the monthly payment. The deposit is refunded at the end of the lease (I got both back without any hassle). If an accident happen and with the gap insurance Lexus provided to all lease, I can just turn the insurance check to LFS and get all my deposit back (not an actual experience but we call Lexus to confirmt his point).
    Hi rorser. Whoever told you that Lexus Financial Services' security deposit requirement is a flat $500 was wrong. LFS' charges a security deposit that's equivalent to vehicles' monthly payments rounded up to the nearest $50 increment. This only matters if you want to do the multiple security deposit program though because LFS' waives its security deposit requirement on regular leases for Tier 1+ and Tier 1 customers.

Car_man
    Host
  • tonym2tonym2 Member Posts: 5
    I am about to lease a new 2008 LS460 to replace my current 2005 LS430 whose lease is expiring in a month. Does anyone know the current ResidualValue (36 mo and 48 mo) and lease factors are for someone with Tier 1+ credit? Especially with the declining interest rates. I live in Southern california. Thanks in advance.
    2008 Lexus LS460 (SWB)

36 – Residual 50% – .00225
    48 – Residual 40% – .00225

Residual values assume 15k annual miles.
    Thanks a lot OCAutoSeeker! I have a follow-up question...

I am thinking of pre-paying for more miles (18K/year, rather than the standard 15K/year). 2 related questions:
    (1) Is the extra amount charged (for the 3K miles/year) added to the Capitalized Cost, or deducted from the Residual Value?
    (2) What is the cost (cents/mile) for pre-bought miles?
    Again, thanks in advance.
    Pre-paid miles are .15/mi as opposed to .25/mi thereafter.

It depends on how they want to structure the lease - but typically, the residual value will be readjusted for the additional cost of miles so that the vehicle will reflect a more accurate "market" value at lease-end.

Assuming 18k, the residual on a 36 month term should drop to 48% (from 50% based on 15k).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    I'm not sure how Toyota does it, but I have an example from Honda...

They don't have lower residual percentages for mileage allowances higher than 15K/yr.. But, if you wanted 18K, and the charge is $0.15/mi., then they would deduct $0.15/mi. from the residual. $0.15 X 9000 mi. = $1350.. So if the residual for 3yr/45K were 50% of $70K, then the new residual for 3yr/54K would be $35K - $1350 = $33,650.

I think this is the way most captive financial companies do it. I only know BMW and Honda, for sure.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Correct - that is exactly how they figure it. It just so happens that the math dropped the residual value 2% and I didn't feel like writing out a math equation. :)

Thanks for your added support.
  • leo7leo7 Member Posts: 3
    Hi wkalexand,
    I am in the market for LS460 in NJ.
    Your deal looks pretty good.
    What dealership was that?
    Thanks.
  • blazinginderblazinginder Member Posts: 65
    my friend just got a new LS460 $68k version with $0 down 12k miles per year for $1000/month on a 36month lease...let me know if you're interested
    Just leased a new LS460 w/comfort, nav+ml, int park etc. = 72K msrp for 63,980 in So Cal. pre-paid miles are now 0.20/mi (up from 0.15/mi), it appears, due to a new policy from LFS in April.
  • nanronnanron Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 LS430 lease expires in Dec 08. I received a message from my dealer asking me to call about a lease forgiveness program. Any advice? Should I wait un
    til a couple of months before my lease expires or start talking with my dealership now. I leased the vehicle from one of the largest Lexus dealerships in the country. Nothing down, No SD and I pay 837 per month which was about $100/month less than another dealer.

The LS 430 has navigation, smart access system, and comes with 15,000 miles/year with a 12 cent per mile excess mileage fee (which I will not exceed). It listed for around $64000 and was discounted to >$57,000 with a cap cost of around $37,000
This discussion has been closed.