Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corsica

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Tell us a bit about yourself and what you love about your Corsica!

Comments

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    We owned a 1995 Corsica for 5 years. Purchased it in the fall of 1994. Not a bad car, but we had the head gasket repaired under warranty twice. Drove the car approx. 90,000 miles and traded it in for a 2000 Saturn SL1. We got a great deal on the car when we bought it, because the 95 Cavalier was a new model and not out on the market yet. So, GM was heavily discounting the Corsica.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I’m bewildered. I just completed replacing the engine and everything is good to go, except for a popping sound underneath. It mostly happens when going around curves to the right, not to the left. When it pops it feels like it’s under my feet on the driver’s side. I double-checked the undercarriage with an impact wrench. Everything is run up tight, the undercarriage, knuckles, spindles, calipers, motor mounts, etc. I thought maybe CV joint. The car has 160k on it. But most of the time when I’ve had CV joint problems in the past, the noise would act up most at low speed like in a parking lot. Any one experiences a popping sound when driving their Corsica? Any suggestions? Thanx :)
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Wife and I bought a brand new 1988 Chevrolet Corsica and from the first month the car was an absolute disaster. The list is far too long to list here but I swore off ever owning another Chevrolet ever. Someday when I get out the paperwork and have half a day to spend I will list the problems and the lack of customer care GM and Chevrolet had for us. Good luck to anyone who ever got snookered into buying this junk.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess that's one of the reason they quit making them. They rank right up there with the Edsel. :)
  • jlapiskajlapiska Member Posts: 3
    sway bar link pins may be worn
  • gonahgalgonahgal Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    How many miles do you have on your Corsica?
    I will turn over 217,000 today on my 1996, V6, 3.1 liter, Corsica. : :D
  • emandicaemandica Member Posts: 3
    You should still be able to enjoy your Corsica for a little while longer. My 1995, V6, 3.1 liter just died the other day with 224,000 miles. After many repairs we are finally sick of bringing her back to life and are letting her go to the big scrapyard in the sky! :cry:
    That same thing was happening to me and after making a sharp fast turn, I found myself in the middle of traffic, sitting on my bumper! I ended up having to replace the ball joint......GOOD LUCK! :)
    Not only could it be a ball joint, which often sounds like a "thunk" or a "pop" when going around a corner or hitting a large bump, but you may also want to check your strut and strut mount, and you may also want to check your wheelbearings. A good piece of advice is grab on your tire outside the car and try wiggling it to see if there is any play. If there is, it's more than likely one of these problems.
  • bestboybestboy Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to put in a input in the radio of my brothers 95 corsica. he wants to play his ipod without paying the $45 for an itrip. Anyone have acess to a diagram?
  • branzack96branzack96 Member Posts: 1
    i have no idea why but when i put in coolant it spills out the bottom of the car from this little rubber "L" looking kind of spout any ideas weather it's where a hose goes or a plug
  • camaronut70camaronut70 Member Posts: 3
    91 berreta gt 3.1 stalling when warms up to temp or 15 to 20 minutes of run time. It doesn't matter what idle speed it is at either. First off, I have replaced plugs,wires,fuel pump,fuel filter,crank sensor,coil packs, computer and the box next to it. It still is doing the same thing! The starter is new, altenator hoses radiator etc etc. This is my step sons firts car and he can't even drive it due to it breaking down. He needs the car desperatly to get back and forth to school in about a week that is getting shorter. So far I have followed the advice of people and mechanics and have gotten no where but spending more money. Oh, I checked the fuses and the fusable link near the firewall as well as the enjector pulse which are fine. What in the world is goin on with this car. when it runs it has plenty of power and has no hesistation. I also, unpluged the egr valve to see if it would make a difference and that didn't help either. If you have any clue as to what might be wrong I would be greatfull. Thanks :mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • ldubldub Member Posts: 2
    I have owned Two different corsicas My first one was A 92 when i was sixteen now i own an 88 with only 80,000 miles i use them as stereo competition car but the last couple of days my car has been dying like its not getting any fuel it is not sputtering or lacking power i have no clue what it is and i love these cars and dont want to give it up can someone please help
  • ldubldub Member Posts: 2
    my name is les i live in texas and have owned 2 corsicas my first was a 1992 i got it when i was 16 in 1998 now i own an 1988 with only 80,000 miles i love corsicas because they are roomy and i use them for stereo cars they are very roomy and the accoustics are amazing i will probably end up driving corsicas for the rest of my life i will do anything to keep it running. I just wish the trend would catch on they are very wonderful cars
  • camaronut70camaronut70 Member Posts: 3
    It could be a number of things. First does it sound like it is going to start but doesn't or does it just crank over cont. without any acts of starting. If it is just cranking over make sure you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key forward without starting it. That would let you know the fuel pump is working. If it continues to run non stop or doesn't run at all it is most likely bad. Second check to see if you have spark on all your cylinders. You can unplug them one at a time and put a plug in the wire and ground it on the car (bate metal area) best if you have someone helping you so you can watch the arc. It should be blue or white. White being the best. No spark means usually a bad coil pack. the coil packs are on the front of the engine in the middle and are a bear to get to. This is to get you started to help narrow the situation down. Hope it is something simple. If you need more help let me know and I can tell you how to test other parts and what to look for. Later :shades:
  • angelbaby33071angelbaby33071 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever figure out what the problem was with the car? was it the fuel pump?
    This makes the forth starter I've had to put on it in the past year. The solenoids keep going out. Has anyone else had this kind if problem? I've replace the battery, and battery cables. The last time I had to replace it in a Wal Mart parking lot, at night, in between rains. It doesn't take long to get the job done under those conditions. :sick:
  • luvmyrustyluvmyrusty Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem and I know what it may be. I have an 89 and when it rains sometimes the ignition modulator gets wet and no matter what you do it won't start. Then a couple days later or with a lot of prodding it will start again. We have learned to wait it out, rather than replace it. Lots of people (even mechanics) will say its the starter or the battery, it's actually just the modulator getting wet. You can water proof it with spray or you can just wait for it to dry off if youre cheap and lazy like us. :);)
  • lilrebel68lilrebel68 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1996 Corsica with 140,000 miles on the odometer.. and I am wondering if the Corsica shares its platform with any other cars GM made worldwide at that time.. Thanks in advance.
  • kenrobinsonkenrobinson Member Posts: 2
    my 1996 corsica only has 69,000 miles on it . the other day it started when i hit my brakes the lights dim and i hear a clicking sound like a sensor or something. the lights dont go out just kinda blink. can anyone help its driving me CRAZZZYYY
  • rollandrrollandr Member Posts: 2
    i have a 96 corsica and having problems with it starting. i have spark but the fuel pump doesnt run all the time. when it started doing this it would sputter then die and after 20 minutes or so it would start back up. but now it only starts when it wants. i need a direction to go to figure this out. to me it seems like the fuel pump is bad but when it does start it runs great :confuse: :mad:
  • varix3dvarix3d Member Posts: 3
    Sold my Van, and get this car for great price, it run well engin is powerfull, except the suspension need to be done.
    Some people say that my frame was finish, so is it a good idea to fix it and keep it.
    It only got 160kl
    i want to change the suspension and fix the frame. ;)
  • rollandrrollandr Member Posts: 2
    i already cut a hole under the back seat to get to the fuel pump but is it possible to remove the fuel lines so i can remove it or do i have to drop the tank ?
  • 3800gogogadget3800gogogadget Member Posts: 3
    I gotta 89'Corsy H/B and that same thing happened to me. Checked each injector,found out in the end ,since my battery was dead I replaced it and I shoulda done the "idle learn breakin" to it. No more sputtering,and I also had to replace the electric fuel pump(hafta drop fuel tank and was very easy to replace. Hope any of these helped.
  • esrmanesrman Member Posts: 1
    I have a thumping sound like the strut is bad, bangs on going over ANY small or big bump.

The strut was replaced,the lower ball joint,the strut mount,the cv joint.

Anyone have any clues a sto whats causing this?

The drivers side wheel does NOT thump on a smoothe road!.
  • 7corica57corica5 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Thank you to the people who posted about spraying the spark plug wires and modulator. I did that this morning, (after I got through looking for another car) as a last result. The car started right up.
    Does anyone else's car leak like the Titanic? What to do about that?
  • dbaunedbaune Member Posts: 2

I'm wanting to put a 2.2L motor from a 97 cavalier into my 96 corsica that has a 3.1L. Can anyone give me some info or tell me if it's possible or not.