Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    Regardless of tire size, tread design (highway, all-terrain, mud-terrain), or manufacturer, a tire size that begins with "LT" (light truck) may result in a stiffer ride when compared to a tire size that begins with "P" (passenger). The LT tire has a stiffer sidewall than the P tire. The reduced compliance will transmit more more road imperfections into the vehicle. The LT should offer a higher load capacity depending which rating is chosen. I found this out AFTER buying new tires for my Jeep. The "normal" Jeep ride and noise worsened because of this difference. If winter tracion is an issue, some tires meet the Rubber Manufacturer's Association Severe Snow Condition rating and will have the mountain & snowflake symbol on the sidewall. BFG A/T ko, General Grabber AT2(studdable), ProComp All-Terrain, Goodyear Fortera TripleTred are all rated. Hope this helps.
  • rescue354rescue354 Member Posts: 4
    well the problem is I tow a 28 ft travel trailer and it feels like im driving a tanker truck full with no baffels in it swaying doesn't even start to describe it on the P metric tires. and the hts suck getting to my tree stand. in the grass and mud I can't even imagine what they will be like in the snow..
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    Based on your last post.
    1) Loss of traction while off pavement may be caused/cured by comparing tire tread design ( highway, all-terrain, mud-terrain ) and intended driving surface.
    2) Trailering issues may be caused/cured by comparing:
    a) your trailer size/capacity and truck's towing capacity (upgrade to 3/4 or 1 ton)
    b) upgrading tire load range (but not exceeding truck's tow capacity)
    c) load in trailer compared to trailer's load capacity
    d) use of torsion stabilizer bars when towing
  • rescue354rescue354 Member Posts: 4
    I do use sway bars
    the 1500 can tow my trailier weight
    its that the pmetric tire side walls are not sturdy enough
    I just want a bigger sturder tire and if the mich at 285 will fit without rubbing
  • nitro07nitro07 Member Posts: 4
    Anybody know if there would be any problems going from a 70series down to a 65 series tire?
  • daves77adaves77a Member Posts: 2
    The stock tire size is p265/70R-17 but the dealership has put on Goodyear Eagle LS2 275 -55 R20's. Is this a good thing?? I will be using them in the snow country. Please let me know if I should get them replaced with original size. :confuse:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You definitely do not want Eagles in the snow. Find a good winter or snow-rated all-terrain tire if you'll be in the deep white, or a snow-rated all-season tire if it's occasional light snow. You also want a narrower tread in snow to be able to get more downward weight ion less area; this prevents floating on the snow.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • KitmacKitmac Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 1500 4x4 with 17 in rims . Can I put 285's on this truck without any rubbing or problems?
  • hoenighoenig Member Posts: 1
    i currently have LT245 75 R16 tires on my stock 2004 silverado 2500hd. i want to get a little bit bigger tires, i was thinking 285's although i don't want to get a suspension lift. i really just need to fill the wheel wells with more tire. the 245's just look to small. so, do i get 285's or 265's?? any thoughts?
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Re post #47. I just bought an 07 2500HD Duramax Crew that has the same tires. I don't know yet what the rims are or what the lift is. Sure pulls our trailer better than the '98 K1500 did.
    I don't feel the stability issues you mention other than the width seems to cause a pull to whichever side of the chain wear valleys in the pavement I am up on. Don't notice any pull on fresh road surface.
    It is now almost six months later, have you resolved the problems you were experiencing?

Thanks
  • MichiganMaxMichiganMax Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2002 2500HD CCSB 4x4 and run 285/75/16 with the torsion bars cranked up, not all the way I don't believe. I have never had them rub at all and did not trim anything and do drive off-road on uneven terrain
  • 2008sierra2008sierra Member Posts: 1
    2008 Sierra Crew Cab / 2WD / 21,000 miles - I have experienced some cupping on the inside of both front tires. The alignment shop said the truck is in alignment and it is a shock issue. The dealer says it is a rotation issue. On my 99 Chevy I rotated once every 15-20K without issue. The dealer says I should rotate every 6k especially with the more aggressive tire tread.
    Any idea who is right?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    It could also be a tire issue. Especially if you have those cheap Generals installed.
  • marvedogmarvedog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 extended cab 2wd. It has the 5.3 engine with a 3.73 rear end. It came stock with 245/70/17 tires. An optional tire was 265/70/17. I am thinking about getting a set of tires and wheels from a friend who replaced theirs with some fancier wheels. The size is 265/65/18. They are from a late model Chevy Tahoe. They bolt on fine and do not scrub (have not driven with them). The old tires had maybe 1" of clearance from the torsion bar when you crank the wheel all the way to the side. With the new 18" wheels and tires, the clearance is down to about 3/8".

When you compare the two sizes, the 265/65/18's are only .79" wider and 1.06" taller than the 245/70/17's. When you compare the 18" to the optional 265/70/17, there is very little difference in size.

What problems might I run into by running the 18" wheels and tires?

I believe it will effectively lower my rear end gear down slightly to around 3.6. I don't know that that little difference will be noticeable as far as power or gas mileage?? Any problems with the transmission?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • divebomberdivebomber Member Posts: 4
    When I bought my 2001 Duramax 2500, the tires were old but I still drove another 23,000 miles on them. When I replaced them with E rated Goodyear Trackers, I got just 16,000 miles. The back wore out the center quickly, I understand this has to do with the torque, but the old tires still held up a lot longer. I need something more like that. I've noticed people have posted in other forums that "The tracker has to be the worst tire ever." Won't argue with that.

On an LT tire, how do I check the mileage rating? I haven't found the LT's to have the same ratings on them as the P tires do. I'd like to avoid P's on a 2500.

Oh, and the 2500 is one tough truck. The eucalyptus tree in my yard fell on it, and it took hours with a chaninsaw to cut it out. Drove fine afterward, not even much body damage.

-DOUG-
  • paganstatartpaganstatart Member Posts: 2
    will rims off of a 2003 suburban 2wd fit my 2007 new body style sierra they are boss 301 20" by 8.5 plus 14 offset 6 lug 5.5 back space 5.45
  • paganstatartpaganstatart Member Posts: 2
    Given that the dealer option lists provide the opportunity to select a different size spare tire, how much difference will not lead to damage?
    The build list of my truck indicates that the original tires were 265/75R17 and the spare was 265/75R16.
    This is an inch difference in diameter.
    Is this a problem for the 4x4 system and what is the distance you can expect to go before damage is caused?

Over the weekend, a tire was terminally damaged by road debris about 250 miles from home. Was this too far to run the miss-matched tires? I replaced the tire at a higher cost than I could have at home as I was looking at “changeable weather over summit” that might have invited the activation of four-wheel-drive, which is another consideration.

So, the REAL question here is, how close is close enough?

Thanks
    The question posted above only addresses the mechanical issues.

I know from experience years ago driving my BMW 2002 in a very “spirited” manner with a non-matching tread pattern on one tire, that it can seriously elevate the pucker factor.

So to answer the question as to information left out of that previous post; the tires on the truck when I bought it used are Nitto Terra Grappler LT285/65R18 on Diamo rims that do look good. They are the same tire diameter as the build list tires. They were also LTs, by the way.
    And yes, I would expect the tread width to add significantly to the pucker factor caused by the tread pattern. These would not be mechanical issues unless I hit something because of it…

How close is close enough in the diameter issue is still the question I am interested in.

Thanks again.
    Anyone know if a 32.5 inch diameter tire will fit in the spare tire hiding place under the bed of a 2007 2500HD NewBodyStyle short bed? Hoping I don't have to mount a tire on a rim to see if it fits.

Thanks.
  • nhpeaselnhpeasel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 GMC Sierra, have had it for 7 years with no problems with the wheels coming off. Yesterday, driving at about 50 mph the driver's side rear wheel came off. No one was injured luckily. I had a flat tire on that side a while ago and the spare was on while the tire was repaired and then the wheel was replaced. I had the truck towed to the mechanic who repaired and replaced the wheel His comment was that this particular model did that frequently. I have not found that to be the case. The holes in the rim were all chewed up from being driven when loose. Has anyone else had this problem with a Sierra or is this person just trying to get out of paying to replace what needs to be replaced? My gut feeling is that he is trying to avoid his responsibility.
  • nhpeaselnhpeasel Member Posts: 2
    Since there were no responses to my previous questions, I am guessing no one has checked the thread who knows or is willing to venture opinions.

So, for whomever is looking for what others have done...
    A year ago I bought a used 2007 2500HD NBS Crewcab shortbed Duramax with about 3 inch lift and Nitto Terragrappler 285/65R18 tires on Diamo rims.
    I have had the rear of the front wheel wells tweaked to stop the rubbing on hard turns and changed the spare to a used 285/75R16 (it does fit up underneath the bed) so all tires are now pretty close to the same approximate 32.6 inch diameter, less wear.
    The lug nuts are supposed to be compatible with the stock spare rim so when I am pulling my trailer (portable motel room) across the middle of the great open West with another tire problem (New Years Eve day something on the road cut through steel belts in center of a tire - not a fun thing), I can use the spare to get to the next berg large enough to find another Nitto tire.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm planning to go with 35's eventually. Any chance you'd be able to fit a 35er under there????
  • vormaxvormax Member Posts: 2
    :sick: ">hey i have the same problem with my 2008, i put 24's on it and it shakes like crazy cant figure out why because it doesn't do it with the stock rims and they are the same 24's i took off my 2005 that never shook... wierd situation... did u ever find out what it might have been
  • smokey26smokey26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 GMC Sierra classic 2wd. I want to upgrade tires/wheels and go a little bigger and wider to give it more of a 4wd look but dont know jack about this stuff or even where to start. Any recommendations/advice?
  • henryat1140henryat1140 Member Posts: 13
    Yes, I realize, this is a stupid predicament. I have a 2003 Sierra 2500HD with the correct OEM specified tires. The door placard has been cleaned with some kind of solvent and is not readable.

I am looking for the correct inflation pressure. I tried the owners manual, it says see the placard, tried GMC assistance line - no help (!!!!! really, they didn't know or couldn't find out)

Truck= 2003 Sierra 2500HD, 2 wheel drive, extended cab.
    Tires = 245/75R16 Load range E Firestone Transforce HT (fancy name for just an OEM replacement tire)

If you have a similar truck, could you please check the door sticker for the inflation pressure?

Thanks in advance

Henry
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 906
    According to Tire Guides, your vehicle's placard should say 55 psi front / 80 psi rear.