Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma - How many miles have you logged?

tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
My little '89 S10 pickup's odmometer reading rolled over to the 200,000 mile mark on my way to work this morning. It has been a great little truck for my daily commute of 50 miles round trip.

My truck has the 2.8L engine and a five speed tranny. I've had to have a few things replaced, like the catalytic converter, fuel pump, water pump, heater fan motor, and alternator, during the five years plus that I have owned the truck, but those things are to be expected.

I paid only $2600 for the truck, tax, license, and all. It has been VERY cheap transportation for me for over five years now.

How many miles on YOUR S10? I'll bet some of you out there have trucks with way more than 200K miles on them.

Tom

Comments

• hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    Sounds great. How often did you change your oil and filter? What type of oil did you use? :)
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Well, I bought the truck when it had 134,502 miles on it, and I can't say what oil had been used in it up until then or how often it had been changed.

For the 65,000+ miles that I have driven it, it has gotten Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 oil and mostly the Supertech filters from WalMart. I usually try to have the oil changed on 3000 mile intervals, but, since almost all of my driving in that truck is highway type driving, I don't worry too much if I go as long as 4000 miles before changing it.

Tom
    My 92S-10, 2WD, 4.3Z, just turned 200K also. I've been using TropArtic when I can find it or Valvoline 5W-30 every 5K miles. Most of my driving is highway so 5K isn't stretching it between changes. Also I use Fram TG which is suppose to be good for more miles. It doesn't use oil but I did have to replace the valve guide seals last spring.
    John :)
  • infinitecaininfinitecain Member Posts: 2
    hey there s10 fans. my girl just turned 211xxx today and still runs like a champ. when she turned, i was in a middle of a 1500 mile road trip and the only thing i was worried about was blowing a tire since i have no spare.

she's a 93 2.8 5 speed and i can honestly say shows 100% no signs of wear. i just checked my oil which was still a beautiful shade of amber and only add 1/8th of a quart after 4000 miles.

i must admit i do a lot of hwy driving but the longest i will wait to change my oil is 5000m!......and i always change my filter every time. i usually use fram TG. i also like to use GUNK crank case cleaner every 15000m or so which is why i'm sure my oil still looks so clean.

i bought her in 98 for $3600 with 67xxxm on it. i've had to do all the norm matenance, ie. plugs, wire, o2, pcv, cap, front brakes twice, drums once. some of the biggies......the heater core went at about 80xxx, then it went out again 2 days after warranty...but the fixed it for free anyway, 3 mufflers for some reason, clutch at about 110xxx, and 2 alternators.......i like my aftermarket stereo.
    she only left me stranded once but it was in the middle of the rockies and it was my fault. the fuel pump went out. turned out my fuel filter was so clogged you couldn't even suck through it which stressed out the pump. a $4 dollar part ended up costing me 3 days stranded, a $90 hotel bill, 2 days missed work, and $250 shop bill. moral of the story.......go replace your fuel filter!!

anyway, i just saw a Saab on TV that had 1million miles on it. (do the math on how many miles a year that would have to be) she might be able to do it if the body doesnt turn into dust by then. i just want her to make it to 238857m....the the distance from here to the the moon.

s-10's rock
  • boyceboyce Member Posts: 48
    Bought this truck used in 98. It had been wrecked and repaired. 41,000 miles when I got it. Used it for work commute for 4 years. Now it mostly sits, used on weekends for the occasional Home Depot trip or to haul the lawnmower. Now has 83000 miles after 8 years of my ownership. I guess compared to some of the mileages reported mine is still fairly new.

Bud

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

• pyro1955pyro1955 Member Posts: 1
    I've got over 211,000 miles on my 96 S10, bought it new, and have driven it all over. Still drive it daily to work, trust it more than my 2002 Sierra. Change the Oil every 5,000 miles, and use good old 5W 30. Nothing Special, replaced the clutch twice, on the 4th set of tires, brakes etc.. Lots of U-joints but other than that it's been a great truck. I hope to get 500,000 miles out of it.
  • mvolekmvolek Member Posts: 5
    I have an 89 s-10 that has 256k on it as we speak. But last year it started knocking and lost compression. i am in the mood to drop a v8 in it but just cant seem to find the time. By the way it has a 2.5 in it and I still drive it to work everyday.
  • barkybarky Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 S-10 has 79,900 miles. It's the most basic model, regular cab, no AC, AM/FM radio, 5-speed, and that's it. My company somehow is a supplier to GM, so I got the GM supplier discount, and after further negotiation, drove it off the lot for $10,060. Interior and exterior are good; minor scratches but GM Victory Red paint is still good. I wax it once a year or so. OEM tires were replaced at 58k miles. I change the Mobil-1 5W-30 and filter every 4,000 miles. Replaced water pump about 5,000 miles ago. I might try the Gunk crankcase cleaner mentioned above. I hope to keep this truck the rest of my life (I'm 44). It's my daily driver, but I'll probably retire it to weekend duty and get some econobox in the next couple of years.
  • dthesmandthesman Member Posts: 5
    I've had a 91 (383 stroker)127,000 when I did swap 132,343 when I hit a f*****g telephone pole,and my 88 my dad put 236,000 on that 2.5 before rebuild (and hopped up like crazy) then I got it 298,000 boys
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    My 1991 4.3 auto long bed just turned 39,000 ORIGINAL miles
  • joec10joec10 Member Posts: 5
    my 93 4.3 has 137,000 and still was running strong till a week ago, I'mm sure it will get back on the road again, change oil every 3K, my last truck was a 82F-100 and i logged 252,000 on that vehicle and it was running when I sold it..
  • mrualmrual Member Posts: 13
    My S-10 has 132,000 and running great 4.3L they dont make them like this anymore :shades:
    Ok all here my question i`ve owned my 92 S-10 4.3L drove it off the show room floor i`ve been changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles with Good Conventional oil i now have 132,000 miles on my truck NO oil leaks anywhere truck runs great gets anywhere from 22mpg to 26mpg on the highways so as you can seen everything is good.. i`ve been thinking changing from conventional oil to mobil 1 extended i`ve heard how people changing from conventional oil to synthetic causes oil leaks as i said NO leaks at all on my truck now ...
    Ok, what's your question? Sounds like your resolute in your decision.
    If you read my Question you would know... trying to figure out is it worth changing from conventional oil to synthetic as in mobil 1 extended .. and does synthetic oils really cause oil leaks in older cars???
    I'm a firm believer in Mobil 1. I have used it for several years now in my Buick. The thing I like best about synthetic is I don't have to change as often. I rack up alot of highway miles on my car.

I have over 200K on my 92 S-10. I have been using TropArtic Blend in it with pretty good luck. For the car I change oil and filter every 10K. As for the S-10, I change oil and filter every 5K. I've been fortunate in that either one doesn't use oil. However, I feel I would be pushing my luck to put full synthetic in an engine with over 200K.

Good luck on your endeavor, let us know how it works out.
    :)
  • flash88flash88 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 s-10 now has 97k miles on its engine and is running just as well as when I bought it. Besides the cheap GM plastic interior, in which miscellaneous parts have broken on me, the truck is very reliable. I change my oil and filter every 3k mi and drive about 500 mi a week, in two trips. Bottom line, its a great and reliable, American-made vehicle.
  • kevin2000kevin2000 Member Posts: 3
    I have a GMC Sonoma SLS ext with the third door, I currently have 126000m with no major problems. Oil gets changed religously at 3000 I wouldnt trade it for anything it is a great truck. 4.3l auto
  • bpbmintbpbmint Member Posts: 4
    My 98 model with it's 2.2 liter has just hit 500,000 miles on 03-07-07. This truck has been used for my delivery service here in Louisiana. I bought the truck brand new. This engine has never been into. I have changed about 6 fuel pumps, 3 water pumps belts and the usual things. I still have the original starter and believe it or not I still have the original daytime running lights. I still use this truck on a daily basis. I average about 3000 miles every 3 weeks. I use 10W40 Castrol oil. This has been the best truck I have ever owned. It could be a record.
  • the_dj_hitmanthe_dj_hitman Member Posts: 3
    my 1993 4.3L just hit 180k
    How often did you change the oil? What type of filters do you use? I think after about the third fuel pump, I would have made a removable access panel in the bed of the truck.
    :shades:
  • bpbmintbpbmint Member Posts: 4
    I CHANGE THE OIL ABOUT EVERY 21/2 TO 3 WEEKS DEPENDING ON THE WORK LOAD. I USE FRAM OIL FILTERS. I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT PUTTING A HINGED DOOR OVER MY FUEL PUMP AND THEN PUTTING THE BED LINER BACK OVER IT.
    I change mine every 5k with TropArtic and use Fram gray. Detroit could have been putting access panels on their trucks all along. But then we wouldn't be forking out $600. a pop to have the fuel pumps change out. Remember how back in the day they had access panels in the floorboard to get to the battery and another one to get to the brake master cylinder? If they could do it then they could do it now. :confuse:
  • infinitecaininfinitecain Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow s-10 owners. It's me, infinitecain from reply #5. My s-10 had over 211xxx miles on it and drove like a champ. I would take it any and everywhere without hesitation. I loved that truck and drove it for 9 years. I had plans to keep it for life......maybe something to pass down to the kids. I always wondered in what form its final demise would take shape. Well 3-9-07 I found out. I hit a telephone pole head-on at about 35mph. Her last gift to me was saving my life. I had no seat belt on, but was able to walk away with only a few bruises.
    I'm afraid i can no longer be a part of this thread. She's gone to the big highway in the sky. God rest her throttle body.
  • barkybarky Member Posts: 3
    Is TropArtic available at most any auto parts store? I've never seen it here in Colorado.
    After looking at your pics, I would say your very fortunate to walk away from that one. :)
    :) Its marketed by Phillips 66 and been around for a long, long time. Here in the mid-west, its sold by Wal-mart and Sam's Club.
  • tomcat63tomcat63 Member Posts: 82
    Hi, I run a small auto-repair shop in Düsseldorf / Germany and bought my ´95 S-10 Pickup about 3 years ago with 105,000 mls on the meter. Needed a workhorse for towing cars and hauling bulky and heavy spareparts. It´s a 4.3L TBI V6 2WD Regular Cab with manual 5-speed transmission (not easy to find among all those useless auto-trannys) and did cost me 2,500 Euros (approx. 3,200 USD), which was far cheaper than a Nissan or Mitsubishi PU which I took into consideration first. Meanwhile I can read over 150,000 mls on the clock and I don´t regret this purchase. Apart from normal maintenance work I had to replace the waterpump, front brake discs and pads, muffler and a set of tires. Frame and suspension components show massive surface corrosion due to poor factory protective coating, but this truck simply has to work and I don´t care too much about optical details. The engine works great, no problems with this old iron. I change oil every 10.000 mls (Calypsol 10-W40 semi-synthetic) and use Bosch Longlife filters. For me as a mechanic it´s kind of a relief to have a simple and easy to fix company-truck like my Chevy S-10 !!
  • philscbxphilscbx Member Posts: 33
    Wow, That was a hit @ 35. I can see where you hit the windshield.
    Pretty lucky you didn't get more injured.

One thing that's maybe not noticed is, I wanted to see what value your posted shots were, and captured them to desk top.
    To my surprise they are 1280 x 960.

So to anyone who wants a closer look at your truck, just open them from desktop to view full size.

Now to figure out how to post a shot of mine.
  • philscbxphilscbx Member Posts: 33
    He just had surgery for new radiator and cooler fittings, and man are those a pain leaking tranny oil all over town.

He's about to get a Rhino liner sprayed in and a frame coating.
    Searching the planet right now for custom heated seats to replace the stock worthless no reclining crap. How you guys put up with that is beyond me.

Other than that, he gets the usual treatment of 20-50 in summer, and 5-30 in dead of winter.
    You have to keep in mind, that w/o oil pressure gauges, you don't have a clue what weight oil to use for the temperature at which it's used in and the current wear of parts to maintain that pressure. Racer, Street Rod guys always know.

He has the best Radar and GPS to keep me in check.

To see this image at full size, open this link - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2378/2000071501_23bcf8e618_o.jpg - to view @ 1200x750
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    53 K on my 99 Sonoma bought new. No repairs after warranty expired, just fluid and filters.
  • jdininjdinin Member Posts: 3
    I hope I don't offend too many in this forum by sounding off about a Sonoma. I bought a '98 Sonoma in '05 for my daughters to learn how to drive. The price was right and they were intimidated by my '87 4WD Dakota. They did learn and fell in love with a cheap Hyundai I bought to replace a 3-cylinder Saturn ;)

So, I now commute in the Sonoma with 2.2L & AT. I have learned to like almost everything about it, just not the unlimited slip differential when my driveway is covered in ice. I have a posi-trak unit, but haven't done the job yet. I average about 27 mpg commuting >80 mi/day. Current miles: 124,700+.

It had 85,000 on it when I bought it. I took a gamble and switched to synthetic oil (Supertech 10W-30) which I change at 18-19 thousand mile intervals (the distance it will go before it is 1qt down and the 5qt jug is empty). The AT didn't like to stay in OD, especially on longer trips. The tranny is mostly rehabilitated now by replacing 4qts of the worst looking ATF I've ever seen with Valvoline Maxlife. This rehab was done a quart or so at a time (I've heard horror stories about ATF changes after the first 60,000 on original fluid).

The one problem I have ignored is the intermittent wipers (refuse to work at all after the first 20-minutes of driving in warmer weather).
  • mattys15mattys15 Member Posts: 2
    hey my odometer broke at 56,300 about a year ago on my 89 s15 runs like brand new.hey kids buy a truck off an old man, they baby them. i roughly have about 70,000 on it now.
    Got 240k on mine, still going strong. It could use a paint job. :shades:
  • livingprooflivingproof Member Posts: 2
    I bought my '96 chevy S 10 new. 4 cyl., extended cab, 2WD. I love this truck. I am currently at 214K miles and have recently developed a loud tick in the motor. I have always used Valvoline 10W30 year round. I have just changed to 10W40 to aid in the lower oil pressure. I believe it's at the end of its life. What a great truck.

I wish they sold these brand new, I would buy another.
  • mid617mid617 Member Posts: 2
    i bought truck used with 2 hundred k on it for 300 dollars was worth it drove it for 5 k miles total of 2 hundred and 5 k and it blew up rod went threw engine block i bought another cheap 2.5 L droped that engine in it was a very cheap engine 100 dollars lol from junk yard i can see it was never taken care of sparkplugs was very hard to get out they was completly destroyed. put a tune up on it. put a new oil pressure switch in it this motor has given me 6 k as of now it is a 1992 2.5 a decent motor lack of power tho i dont really care tho point A to B is fine with me. about the 87 body i live in michgian very rusty 87 but i replaced lots of body parts had to .the fuel pump went out suprising to you .lmao not to me chevy loves to drop fuel pumps .fuel millage is 20 mpg not bad but not great . runs crapy cold
    engine runs on 2 cyl when i first start it untill it is warm then it hit 4 cyl weired .lol but over all great truck awsome love my s10,s oh yeah and i beat the hell out of my tranny lol i pulled over 6000 pounds behind my truck bumper was readys to fall off i bent it down wored bad it,s bent badly lol owell i pulled alot with it i keep dumping used motor oil in it black black stuff i just change the oil filter once in a while i run 15 pounds oil pressure warm 40 cold . chevy like a rock i agree.:) :D
  • sprjrivsprjriv Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I bought my sonoma when I was 16 for 3k. It is a 94 Sonoma and I put most of the miles on it

Right now it has 245K :surprise: I hope to have a party when it reaches 250K
  • gorrufusgorrufus Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94' Sonoma, 4.3l v-6 'z' motor (non-vortec), extended cab short bed 2 wheel drive. 280,600 miles from the 200 when I bought it brand new. Paid cash back then and wont get rid of it any time soon. I have another cab from a 95 that only has one quarter panel rust hole, that I plan on swapping in. I think I'll keep the 94 dash though and the 94' column. I don't want the airbags. I removed the a/c finally this year but cannot find a non-A/C blower motor box. I plan on visiting some junkyards this summer and try my luck. I know theres not to many non-a/c sonoma out there. I'll just look for an s10 that was a work or delivery truck. I also have 2 new fenders, and I would like to convert the front end over to a 98' and up envoy headlights and grille. I need to get a new 98' core support first.

I do plan on rebuilding the engine and trans soon. I'd rather sink about 5-8 grand in this truck and do the work myself, than buy a new 30 grand truck with a payment.

I'm glad to see there are alot of us sonoma fans out there.

Peace! :)
  • primer95s10primer95s10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 s-10 bought brand new. It currently has over 168,000 miles on it. I recently took the value cover off to replace the gasket, and my friend was amazed that it was so clean and no slug at all. I change oil every 3500 miles and now I use nothing else but WIX oil filters (fuel and oil). I also use Havoline 5W 30 oil. The engine itself has not gave me trouble. Just everything else. been through 3 trannys. 2nd and 3rd one came from a junk yard. Put a different rear-end. Now it is sitting at my work with a wheel bearing scorched. Just replaced it 2 week ago. Yes it has been lowered 3 in front and 3 in rear. Why is the wheel bearing keep failing me?
  • r12isbadr12isbad Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 crew cab 4wd, bought new, and now have 197,400 miles on the odometer.
    I do soil erosion and building code inspections in Michigan so I have BFG TA's on it and average 19-20 MPG on the highway, 16-17 around town. Have used Royal Purple motor oil and Amsoil tranny fluid since new. Still running like it was when new. :)
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    to post this question, but thought this forum might work. I'm wanting to buy a used truck and see an abundance of S10/S15's for sale with pretty good prices. Can anyone out there tell me if they are reliable? I've heard that Chevy's interiors are prone to cheap parts, but as long as I can open/close, lock/unlock the doors, I can live with cheap materials. Any advice if to buy the 4 or 6 cyl.? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • littleoscolittleosco Member Posts: 11
    We have a 2000 S-10 4x4 with the 6 cylinder engine and we love it. Bought it new in 2000. It has under 100,000 miles on it and we have had very little problem with it but we keep it well maintained. As far as cheap parts inside, we did have one of the sliders on the seat base go out while it was still under warranty and right now, the 3rd door handle doesn't work. The sending unit to the gas gauge went out years back but it's $600 to fix it so right now, we just use the trip meter to determine when to fill up. Other than that, nothing big. A few years ago, we stepped up from the 15" wheels to 16" wheels with larger tires so it sits a little higher off the ground. It does awesome in the snow and tows our 16' boat with no problem.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for your time and info. Man, that's expensive for the gas gauge sending unit! :surprise:
    I've heard good things about the 4.3 V6, but not so good about the 4cyl.
    Can anyone else chime in about the dependability/reliability of these trucks?
    Thanks to all!
  • jrod777jrod777 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 S-10 and am currently looking to find new window cranks, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I was just wondering if anybody has purchased new cranks and where they found them. Thanks!
  • dienuthrdaydienuthrday Member Posts: 1
    Bought my S-10 Tahoe new in '92. 4.3L/Auto trans-2 wheel drive. I now have 471,000 Mi logged. Motor or trans never touched. I,ve only done your normal maintenance & repairs which includes: Belts & hoses,brake linings,tires,(1) starter, (5)alternaters,(3) sets of shocks,(3) fuel pumps,(3) water pumps,(4) sets of U-joints,(1)PS pump,(1)A/C comp,(1) Bearing kit in rear axle,(1) power brake booster, changed all filters on regular basis and average oil change every 8k mi, used 20W-50 Valvoline oil after initial break in & used Sick 50 every 50,000 Mi.I,ve only been stranded (1) time when the first fuel pump went out,other than that not a moments trouble. I changed trans fluid & filter (1) time @ 45k Mi.
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 95 sonoma and it had 180,000. it now has over 204,000 and i have just changed the original fuel filter and the fuel pump was just replaced not to long ago. I am having problems with gas mileage but suspect the gas tank has a crack or the seal on the pump is bad. The truck runs great but you just cant fill the gas tank up fully. It has a 4.3 vortec and the oil is changed reguarly at 3,000 miles. The air filter is cleaned and changed when needed.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    I would venture to say that shouldn't be a problem... if you want you can head over here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9950a/7047

you can post your question there, or just read through. Some of it is pretty interesting, other parts, more like a technical snore. But it might help you make a decision.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    Wow - I am still getting mine broke in :D

I have logged 105K so far. I was logging about 3-5K a month for a time and so the miles piled on fast, but now the truck mostly sits due to a career change. But even at 105K it still runs great! No major problems except an oil leak developed between the motor and tranny... gonna have to look at that. The truck is a 2001 4.3 2wd Extended Cab LS.

I have switched from Valvoline Dino oil to Mobile 1 to try and clean her out, but oil change intervals have been always 3K with basic Fram filters....
    (here's hoping the Mobile 1 didn't cause the oil leak, but I doubt it since I think I remember it leaking before I switched. It was around the same time I switched that I remember noticing the leak. I have heard rumors that a switch to synthetic at high miles can cause oil leakes because the synthetic has detergents in it that can clean out a lot of the garbage that may loosen up a seal or two, but after a lot research, I decided that since it had been well maintained at 3K interchange intervals, there pobably wasn't much build up and since I wasn't using a parrafin based oil such as Pennzoil I was probably okay (I say this with fingers crossed :D)......
  • bkellichnerbkellichner Member Posts: 2
    i bought my 93 sonoma in 94 with14,000 miles on it. its a 2.8/ 5 speed. i drive 80 miles, 6 days a week.i t-boned a van in 97 and bent the frame. the body man almost straightened it. it has never failed to start and hasnt left me stranded, ever. today its logged 337,000 miles. the motor, trans,clutch,rear end havnt been touched. i did just replace the radiator mostly due to bug infiltration. i drive nights.also during its life 1 ujoint,2 alternator,2waterpump,1fuelpump,2exhaust system,1 heater core. i use 5/30 synthetic oil changing it twice a year. rust is my enemie now. oh yea, i record my gas usage. this summer i consistently got 25.5 mpg.
  • trailerpullertrailerpuller Member Posts: 3
    1988 GMC S15, 2.8L 5 speed, Mileage today 584,018. Now that mileage is on the odometer, the engine was replaced in 1998 with a new crate unit from a GM dealer in Fort Worth Tx. engine miles is approx. 334,000, which is good in itself. I have been changing oil at 7,000 to 10,000 mile using Slick 50 and Lucas Oil additive at different times of course. A K & N Air filter has been the newest upgrade. Rear axle has 4.11 gears and I pull a Supra Ski Boat during the summer months. MPG down the highway, no trailer, is 22+. Back in 1994 I over heated the engine but I could not stop right away. Did not blow any hoses, but I know it was too hot just by the gauges. I changed the oil and coolant, but the damge was done. On start up it would make a bad noise then it would go away. It lasted 4 years! then Boom!