Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Prices Paid

Comments

• cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    Regular "poor" salespeople are usually commissioned differently than the Fleet or Internet Sales folks. Salespeople usually won't make much if any money on the deal if they sell you a car for below invoice, so why would they? Internet or Fleet compensation is usually tied to volume somehow, so even if the dealership barely makes any money on the deal they don't care and they will still sell you the car.

In contrast to rhuang, I never go into the dealership to negotiate. I only go in after I've negotiated the price on exactly the vehicle I want that is in stock via phone or e-mail and am ready to buy it. Once you are there you are on the spot as much as they are and the chance of getting pressured into a sub-optimal deal is just too high. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to negotiate the best price with Internet or Fleet sales without having to step into the dealership.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Since February 2008, I have contacted (emails) the following Mitsubishi dealers to ask them the best price quotation for a 2008 Outlander XLS AWD, no options.

Capitol, Stevens Creek, East bay, San Mateo, Concord, South Coast, Poway, Riverside, Glendale, Sacramento, San Rafael, El Cerrito, Hayward, Viracom, etc

My experience with the contacts has given me a better insight about how these “Internet” people operate. The first impression I have received was that around a 100% still think that customers are simply car ignorant and need their expertise and advice to entice you into buying what they want to sell you instead of what you want to buy. This usually happens in spite of the fact that you have clearly specified what car you are looking for (i.e. XLS, AWD, Color, 6-cyl, SUV, etc).

When you email them stating the Invoice price of the car you are looking for, around 90% of these “Internet” employees cease to send you email and simply ignore further emails. The other 10% haggle on a future deal telling you to come to the dealership to “talk” as if talking will change the color of the car you are looking for, or the price you are bargaining for, or the year of the car you want (e.g. 2008 instead of 2007). These car salesmen are using methods that are not applicable any more to a new generation of buyers. Perhaps these salesmen are thinking that everybody nowadays behaves like grandpa or grandma. Another of their tricks that is very annoying is to tell you that they accept your proposal if you buy the car inside two days but fail to tell you what car they expect to sell you although you ask them to confirm in writing the exact vehicle they are asking you to buy. All is fuzzy, blurry. When I asked a few of them to be a bit more transparent in their “Out the door price” simply they cease to email. Possible they are thinking that this customer is too clever to make a big profit. Poor the “Internet” employee that gets peanuts with any deal but the big fat money “Manager in the second floor”

Look the experience of the 2007 Outlander. You can buy this car with $3000-$2000 below invoice. Dealers are making huge discounts on this vehicle. This is going to happen next year with the 2009 Outlander. Dealers are going to make huge discount on the 2008 Outlander and this will commence around October this year. I have always wanted to know who is apparently “losing” money with this big discount, the manufacturer or the dealers. Without these discount somebody is pocketing $2000-$3000; money that is paid for customers when buying a car. For example nowadays Hyundai is offering $2000 rebate for a 2008 Santa Fe, GMC is offering a $500 rebate for the 2008 Acadia, Honda is offering $2000 rebate for a 2008 Pilot, and so on. As recession is coming people will not have money to buy even with big discounts.

May, June and July are going to be very bad time for those “stupid” Outlander dealers. Look the Outlander has to compete with the 2009 Subaru Forester (April), 2009 Kia Borrego (June), 2009 Honda Pilot (June), 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan (May), Dodge Journey (April), and so on. These greedy Outlander dealers will have had it. The more they wait for a reasonable sale the more they will lose money and this very bad strategy will just undermine the stability of Mitsubishi in the USA market.

The best quote price for a 2008 Outlander XLS AWD, no options was $24,000 + fees. This price is $300 below invoice
  • swirl_junkieswirl_junkie Member Posts: 8
    I had a dealer yesterday tell me his invoice price right outfront. It was exactly the same as the edmunds invoice price, so they are accurate. He also said his holdback on a 2008 xls was $502.00. He seemed like a very straight shooter.
    I don't know where the additional monies come from when they make a sub $1000.00 invoice deal. Maybe there are additional incentives they get from mitsubishi? I don't know.
    They sure aren't going to lose money.. no matter how long the car sits.
  • avalanchez66avalanchez66 Member Posts: 26
    I had the same experience until I got My offer from South Coast. I contacted several dealers in SoCal. Most of them quoted me either invoice or below. When I talked to the Internet manager at South Coast(his name begins with an S, that's all I can say or this post will be deleted like my previous one was), he quoted me $1000 below invoice and when I asked him what the rock-bottom price was, he told me to come in and the "general manager" would be more willing to deal if i was there making an offer on a vehicle they had. Well, after talking to this Internet manager, I felt really confident that I could get the deal I wanted, especially since I was going for a new 07'. It worked.
    I would go to the lot where they quote you the best price, make the $1500 below invoice offer and they most likely will take it.
    Even if the holdback is $500 or so, there are other incentives that the dealer gets for selling these vehicles. They work just like rebates, they are called dealer cash. The dealer may get $1000-3000 back depending on the vehicle. That is how they can sell cars and "lose" money. Otherwise, they would never sell a car at invoice or below. It's all a game to make as much as they can.
    Everything you say is OK. I have also find out these good discounts. But I should say for example that South Coast has only 2WD 2008 Outlander XLS, but a lot of 2007 Outlander XLS and LS. They have cars with few colors. They don't have for example Rally Red

I access its web page and look at its inventory of new cars. Not too many on 2008 Outlanders.

I have received a new offer from a dealer not far from Palo Alto with $400 below invoice for a 2008 Outlander XLS. I think I may settle for this offer.
    I ended up purchasing yesterday. Many thanks to all those who posted useful info.

2007 awd xls no options dark graphite blue $21,500. I know I could have done better, but I didn't feel like grinding the price down for an hour over a few hundred dollars.
    Bought from the an internet sales dept in PA.
    II have had very frustrating experience with these two dealerships, i.e. Capitol and Stevens Creek. They deceived me by asking me to come to their place to see the Outlander although they did not have the vehicle at all. I find later on when we have already agreed to a price that they did not have the vehicle I was looking for and during the whole procedure I discovered that they really wanted me to choose other vehicle. My suspicious were corroborated when I asked them for the VIN number of the vehicle they supposedly have in the stock. They simple vanished from earth and never got in touch with me anymore.
    Congrats on the new Outlander. Welcome to the family. You're going to love it. Looks like you got a good deal. The main thing is that you're happy with it.
  • carstalkcarstalk Member Posts: 16
    Batman, check current inventory of Mitsubishi Serramonte on http://www.serramontemitsubishi.com/index.htm
    website. The internet fleet "manager" is easy to work with. No false advertisement like SC and Capitol Mits dealerships.
  • beargator56beargator56 Member Posts: 35
    I went to a Mitsu dealer (Ed Voyles) here in the Atlanta area today. A little frustrating. This was my first time seeing the Outlander in person, and they happened to have one with all the options I want. Heck, it was even the color I like. I've been having a hard time finding competing brands that can come close to what I need.

Anyways... The sticker on this thing was just over 30k. Of course, they added in an "appearance package" (pin stripes) for $450, and a "protection package" for $800. I had a feeling I was in for it when I saw these added on the sticker. MSRP without these was at 29,400k. It was right there with the Edmunds build & price.

When we first sat down, the salesman starting filling out a credit app right away. I had to slow him down, and tell him they wouldn't need that until I agreed to a deal. Instead of working the deal with me at the table, he kept on leaving me sitting there while talking to his "manager" in the back. I mentioned I was looking for a lease deal, and he tried to only show me the monthly payments. I had to ask him what he was basing his payments off of. They basically removed the dealer "add-ons" so he was working off the sticker price of 29,400.

So, I asked him about negotiating the price to get to a real number. He kept trying to BS me, showing me a chart of Mitsu lease deals with down payments, saying that they were "eating" the down payment to make my deal. I was getting a little unsettled at this point. How are you eating the down payment? The down payment is subtracted from the cost of the vehicle. He was trying to tell me it goes to Mitsubishi, and they don't make any money off of it. Huh?

The other thing, is that the Mitsu lease deals they showed me had unfavorable term lengths. 42 / 48 / 60 months. Other brands are offering 24 / 36 / 39 deals. My current vehicle lease is a 39 month, which is about right for me in payment and length.

I guess I need to refrain from mentioning that I'm going to lease the car. It's a little odd, but I didn't have these problems at the Ford dealership when I looked at the Escape. Everything was on the table.

Anyone have an idea what I should expect on a lease deal for the Outlander? I've seen a few posts on here that say $1500 under invoice is what to look for in a deal. $26248 is $1500 under what Edmunds says is the invoice. Should I base my deal on that, or is it too aggressive? I'm trying to go no money down, and still have my payments in the $350-400 range with tax included.

Any help is appreciated!
  • chiefstinkytoechiefstinkytoe Member Posts: 21
    I picked up my 2008 Outlander SE with nav and deflectors on Thursday, after waiting about 3 weeks for it to come in. Purchased by local dealer in San Angelo, Texas (Randall Mitsu). I test drove the Outlander and the Endeavor. Wife liked the larger size of the Endeavor, but I liked the tech, looks, size, etc, of the Outlander. Since this was a replacement for my car, a 95 Galant, the boss let me get the Outie :)

I used my bank's car buying service, and contacted Gillman Mitsu in San Antonio. Worked with Jason there, very friendly, but he just didnt have the SE models. My local dealer, Randall Mitsu, didnt have them either, but said they would accept my bank's price, and would work with me. After a delay or 2 in getting the model I wanted, it arrived. Local guys actually had to do a dealer swap with Don Herring in Irving, TX. I had the Mitsu loyalty discount ($500) and military discount ($500). With taxes, title, and license, the driveaway price was a tick under $25K.

Exact price via buying service

When we went to pick it up, we went into the financer's office, and were out in about 30min, even with 3 kiddos in there. We were on the road, pulled all the junk out of the Galant, and driving our new vehicle in about an hour. Plenty of prep via email, phone calls, and continuous good communication with Randall Mitsu made for a pleasant transaction.

We didnt get the deflectors, yet, but they will call when they get them in. I also asked for a price on the 3rd row seat, as our SE has the storage instead of the seat. We figure the seat might be helpful for us, with the kiddos. If anyone wants to consider trading their seat for the storage, feel free to contact me at steve at zacharoo dot com.

Regards,
    Steve

SDIM3664
    Pics of my 08 Outie SE
    I think that the 2008 Outlander SE is not sold with 3rd row seat at all. If you want a 3rd row seat you should buy a XLS. Please confirm.
    The SE is not sold with third row seat, but that does not preclude me from buying a 3rd row seat from the dealer, or trading for one with someone who has one.

The SE had everything I needed, the 3rd row seat is a want. Thanks for your advice, but it's unnecessary.
  • blitzkrieg79blitzkrieg79 Member Posts: 36
    Hey guys,

New to the forum. Question, how much under MSRP did any of guys got on a brand new 2007 Outlander? Last weekend I went to my local Mitsu dealer and talked and bargained and got the price down to $22300 for a base XLS. Is this a good price? Or is there more room for improvement considering it's a 2007 model year. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You could definitely do better. I just paid $ 21,500, and I know I could have done better if I felt like arguing ( had the kiddo with me, and just wanted to get it done). My price included the $1500.00 rebate, but was on a blue outlander, of which it was the only one for several hundred miles. I didn't want to lose the deal by pushing too hard.
    It's a base xls, with no options. I think $1500 below invoice, plus the $1500.00 rebate is achievable, lots here have done it. With more options, you could do even better, but relative to the invoice.
    The car you are looking at could have been sitting on their lot for 15 months, they need to get rid of it. There's a good chance they're paying interest on it.

In my case, I had about 8 dealers within an hours drive. I found the biggest dealers had real internet departments, and gave real prices with vin numbers over email. The smaller dealers just wanted to get you in the door. They'll tell you they have stock they don't. At least in my case, ymmv.
    I got within $400.00 of my sale price on email, then went in to seal the deal.
    2007 Outlander will get at least $2000 below invoice. Today I received an email from a desperate dealer that want me to buy one of his two 2008 Outlanders at $1000 below invoice. I found later on that this dealership is to receive a batch of 2009 Outlanders. Outlanders with a VIN number with a digit 9 will start to be sold in the USA perhaps at August/September. Does somebody have heard about 2009 Outlanders? This dealer volunteer to tell me that Mitsubishi America is not distributing any more 2008 Outlanders. Any comments?
    Only XLS has a 3rd row hollow for a seat. Certainly you can do what you want with your car. Go ahead but be prepare to live with rattles all the time the car is with you.
    Swirl_Junkie, I forgot to mention, the $22300 price is for a base XLS 4WD (invoice on this bad boy is around $24202), 2WD version is obviously cheaper by around $1200-$1500. And I am interested in 4WD only as I live in the Northeast.
    I forgot to mention as well. Mine is Also AWD. I think you should be at $21,200. And that's only $1500.00 below invoice. Their hold back is $502.00 so they'll claim they are losing $900.. on the deal. They aren't. I'm only mentioning this based on what i've seen others purchase for, and what my experience was. If you live where there's little selection, you might not be able to do as well.
    I just did a search of all the 2007's within my area on another website, ( i doubt I can mention it... rhymes with pars dot com.) then emailed dealers.
    Good luck on your search. I think these dealers are really hurting, and this car isn't selling well. All things to your favor. Wait a month or two and the rebates will get fatter.

If you search back, there were people getting 07's at four and five thousand below, but they were loaded models... more room to play with numbers there.
    Are you saying the hollow for the storage compartment will not fit the 3rd row seat? I believe you are mistaken. Do you know that there is physically something different in the hollow between the SE and the XLS?

Curious,
    Steve
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Go ahead but be prepare to live with rattles all the time the car is with you.

Do you speak by your own experience? I have the 3rd row seat and it does not rattle.
    I meant third row of seats adapted someway into an Outlander SE where its geometry hasn't been made for a third seat row. If you want a third row of seats you need to have a XLS. The third row seats in the Outlander XLS does not rattle.

I have had bad experience with dealers that incorporate extra equipment in the car (e.g. options: Electronics, sounds, fog lights, leather seats, extra repeaters, etc) and wires are not properly isolated, screws left off, foam taken off, etc). Any of these can be causes of rattles. So when you said that you expect to install a third row of seats in a vehicle not designed for that then I assume that there is a high probability of rattles.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Yep, XLS here. I haven't actually heard somebody successfully doing the mod, but it the SE has the same floor geometry, then I don't see much of a problem, except the cost maybe.
    Maybe the geometry is the same, but are the holes there to attach to? I wouldn't want to be tapping holes for bolts in a brand new car. Not through the floorboard anyhow.
  • scotlafscotlaf Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. Great forum. We live in Orlando and started looking at the outies and think they are slick. We are looking at the 07 LS and hope someone may have some pricing info for our area and target prices. It looks like California has some great deals and we are hoping the southeast will as well! Thanks in advance!
    Hi scotlaf,
    Are there any options on the LS you're looking at? I was looking at edmunds invoice pricing and it looks like they've removed the pricing for the 07's. I looked at the 08' LS invoice without any options and they are $21,221 for 2wd and 22,502 for 4wd.
    Since you are looking at an 07', you should be able to get an incredible deal. I got my 07' XLS a couple months ago for $3,500 below invoice, including the 1,500 rebate. Since it is now almost April, I would think the dealers would really want to get rid of these 07's. I would make an offer of at least $4,000 below invoice and see if they take it. Also, remember that they have the following extra rebates : Mitsu loyalty, recent grad, and military.
    I am in SoCal so I don't know about the dealers out there in FL. I would email or phone all the dealers in your region and get quotes from their "Internet" managers. Then take the best offers and make them compete between each other. There may not be many dealers left with 07's so that may limit the amount of dealers you have to deal with.
    If you do happen to go with an 08' you wont get the rebate but you should still be able to get a great deal. I would offer the same $1,500 below invoice that we are getting out here in SoCal.
    Good luck and I hope you get a great deal.
  • scotlafscotlaf Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the info avalanche. You have been a great help! Trying to find one in desert sand. If we strike a deal I'll post it.
  • brandoshidobrandoshido Member Posts: 10
    ES 2WD, Option package a (820 dollar one, has the leather steering wheel, aux jack, etc), and the optional GPS add on.

Price (includes tt&l)= $22,313.25

Thanks for your help. I just want to make sure I get my money's worth.
    I am guessing that you are talking about a 2008 model, but anyway, I think the price is a bit too high for a 2008, and very high if its a 2007 model. Recently after all the dealing I got a quote on a base 4WD 2007 Outlander at $22000 (doesn't include tt&l). Outlanders are good cars in the CUV category but reality is that Mitsubishi is not selling them a lot. Mitsubishi predicted around 4000 per month sales when they released the new Outlander but they are not even close. Last month sales have been abysmal which means that if you'll be patient enough you will drive away with a new Outlander at least $1500-2000 under invoice. If I were you I would still shop around, email a couple of dealers and pit them against each other. And if the price is right it is a good idea to even go to another state and pick it up.
  • brandoshidobrandoshido Member Posts: 10
    thanks, i thought it was a good deal, but I saw an article on the internet basically saying mitsu was struggling in USA, which made me think that they would wheel and deal with me a little more. I had to call around in corpus christi, san antonio, and houston just to get that price. i guess when they call me back I can tell them and say it's still a little to high.
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    Hey guys just wondering if you could help me out on pricing for a 2008 SE 4WD Outlander. I have seen numbers on these forums as low as 22000, not really sure if that is feasible. I would only qualify for the recent grad rebate. Any help would be great.
    Anyone got advice for pricing on a 2008 SE Outlander 4WD? I know invoice is ~23,200 and I have gotten pricing for the same amount. I've seen ppl go below invoice?
    Where are you located? Out here in SoCal were getting as much as $1500 below invoice on 08 XLS. I would check several dealers in your area (Internet mgrs) and get quotes. You should be able to get at least $1000 below on the SE.
    XLS is prob different than the SE not sure if there are any deals the dealer has for the XLS are your models 4WD? I would love if I could go down to 22,500 for the oulander se
    It shouldn't matter which model, XLS, SE, LS. None of them are selling well so if you contact different Internet managers at various Mitsu dealers they will compete with each other for your business. Don't be in a hurry. There is no reason you can't get at least $1000 below invoice on the vehicle of your choice. Good luck!!!
  • cr1973cr1973 Member Posts: 7
    If I were to offer say $1000 under invoice, would I still be able to get the $1000 cash back incentives... which then puts it at $2000 under invoice???
  • cbk2000cbk2000 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in Utah and I'm about to make an offer of 23K on a base 4WD XLS. I've got price quotes from two dealers about 100-200 below invoice (24.2K and 24.3K). I'm counting on the dealer who is stuck with 47 Outies on the lot to make it happen somewhere in between, then take the $1000 rebate and put it in the 22s. I'll post the results. :)
    I bought 2008 Outlander XLS V6 with 4 packages (sun + xenon+ Navigation + protection) at $31,000 all included (on the road). The price was $500 below. The dealer took advantage of the $1000 rebate that I did not know about it. Do you think this was a fair price to pay?
  • bradmc26bradmc26 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone suggest some good, reputable Mitsuibishi dealers in these states?
    Yes. With the rebate you go out and negotiate the best deal you can get, lets say $1500 below invoice. Then the rebate is given and your total savings would be $2500. I would offer at least $1500 below invoice on any Outlander you are looking at because they are still sitting on the lots and they will still make money with dealer holdbacks. I got my 07' back in Feb. for $4000 below invoice including the $2000 rebate. Good luck.
    Well, my plan didn't go so well. I don't know if SoCal is just a great buyer's market with so many dealers competing, but my dealer in Utah is holding fast at a price of $24,160 on a base XLS, about $180 below their invoice on the car. They did come up $550 on my trade, but after all their BS fees, they're still $1100 over my desired OTD number I want to finance. They did call me back a couple hours after I left, but luckily I wasn't by my phone, so I'll let them sweat a little before I call back. I think they're just trying to convince me to come up with the difference in my down payment. I can't, though, so I guess they're not selling a car. I don't know how much leverage I'll have with other dealers who have a lot less cars on their lots, trying to convince them to drop $1200 off invoice and/or waive destination charge and other fees. We'll see. :mad:
    Make them sweat a little. The price they are giving you is way too high. They would make a ton of money if you paid that price. Are there any competing dealers within a reasonable driving distance(say 50 miles?). I went about 60 miles to get the best deal and it was well worth it. If they are the only dealer around, I'm sure if you tell them you are going to wait or go out of town for a deal they will come around. Obviously the Outies are still not selling well or they wouldn't have started giving $1000 rebates on the 08's already. Just don't be in a hurry and you will get a great deal. In the end, you will be happy that you waited.
    They called today and came down about $215, with the implication that's all they can do. There are two other dealers not too far away, but they have much lower stocks, and presumably aren't as desperate to sell. I'm happy to try with them, but do I go in with my desired OTD number and say take it or leave it, or use the number from the first dealer and get them to beat it? I don't have that number in writing, and there's no telling what they'll offer me for my trade.

I guess I can just wait a couple months. I don't imagine they'll stop the $1000 rebate on June 30. Maybe they'll up it to 4 grand like the Endeavor.
  • beargator56beargator56 Member Posts: 35
    I leased my Outlander in May, right after they offered the $1000 cash back. My dealer said they weren't offering the rebate on the lease. Something doesn't seem right about that. I know it says that the rebate isn't available with special APR offers, but what about leases? I didn't take any special lease deal that I'm aware of. The only one they're offering is $229/mo on the ES. I got the XLS.

Anyone have a clue?
  • rdawgrdawg Member Posts: 15
    This is the first price quote I got from an email request for an 08 4WD XLS. It looks like they took the $1,000 rebate off the invoice price.

MSRP: 25,785.00
    Invoice Price: 24,346.00
    Price: 23,346.00
    Anyone know if there'll be more rebates coming after the current $1000 one expires this month? I wonder if I should wait until next month or thereafter before buying?
    I highly doubt that Mitsubishi will increase the $1000 rebate it is offering this month, they just started the rebates on 2008 model, the 2009 Outlander should become available in October/November and thats when you'll see larger rebates on 2008 models, same thing that happened to 2007s when the 2008 came out. Currently in my area you can get a brand new fully loaded 2007 XLS 4WD for around $23500 (original MSRP is over $31K). If you are looking to buy a car within this or next month then I wouldn't hold my breath for more incentives but if you are willing to wait 2-3 months then you'll see greater discounts.
    Thanks. Do you know if the 09 outlander will look much different than the 2008s?
    Thanks. Do you know if the 09 outlander will look much different than the 2008s?

From what I know, current 2008 Outlander SE has a lot of styling cues that will become standard on all 2009 Outlanders (chrome on the exterior and a new speedometer display). I think Mitsu will add a rear view camera to its navigation display. Also, Japanese Outlander V6 received a minor grille redesign so it is not far fetched to think that 2009 US spec Outie also will receive a new grille. Of course all of this is just educated speculation but Mitsubishi did some improvements from the 2007 to 2008 Outlander such as redesigned interior door panels, heated mirrors on 4WD models, or a more efficient air conditioning system so you'll probably see some other minor improvements on 2009 but I don't think any of it will be classified as major.
    Thanks Man!