Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Clutch Questions

wsustudentwsustudent Member Posts: 35
I have a 2003 Civic EX 2 dr. coupe with 76,000 miles thus far. I've been having some issues with the clutch making a lot of noise when depressed/released, like a creaking sound if you will. This happens intermittently but frequently. It does not seem to affect the performance of the overall vehicle or transmission. Has anyone else had this problem and know a fix for it, or if it something I should really be concerned with? I don't want to have to take it to the dealer if it's really not going to ruin anything. This has been happening since about 39,000 miles (of course right after the warranty expired). Thanks in advance for any inputs or similar experiences.

Comments

• disappointed03disappointed03 Member Posts: 2
    Well welcome to the world of "will never get fixed". I purchased a 2003 Civic DX in March of 03 new. In June of 04 my master cylinder went - replaced under a service notice at the dealer where I purchased and serviced my vehicle in November 04. From this time on I have had a constant problems with my clutch - squeaking and clicking both engaging and disengaging. Changed dealers and after constant complaints they replaced again, the master cylinder in August of 06. Well here we are November 06 and back to the same old same old. Will have to take it back in again! Mileage done - less than 35,000 km and 2 master cylinders. Honda Canada does not want to do anything about all the defects I have had on this car and rest assured there have been way too many - they say their only obligation is to fix the problem. I guess I bought a lemon and although it's under extended warranty it's still my inconvenience and my problem. This is only one of many ongoing problems I have had with this nightmare. I guess maybe Honda is not all it's made out to be - certainly not a quality vehicle! Had less problems with my 12 year old Cavalier with 200,000 km on it! Sad isn't it.
    Good Luck :lemon:
  • sinikoosinikoo Member Posts: 1
    I love my blue civic but not the noise! I too have a squeaky clutch problem with my 2003 Civic Sport model. It started about a year after I bought the car new. The nice service man was happy to replace the assembly after I complained for two years, they tried oiling it a few times first. Yes it was still under warrantee! After 24 hours of it being "fixed" it started to squeak again. But of course it doesn't squeak all the time (it took three trips to the dealership for them to hear it) only when you are in a border line up for hours or when it's raining or when you have a headache etc. The rest of the car is fine, never had any other mechanical problems. But what is my next plan of attack? I think I'll have to contact a TV consumer reporter to get satisfaction. :sick:
  • gabbadabbagabbadabba Member Posts: 10
    I'm having an ongoing "discussion" with a friend who says he won't ever let me borrow his car because when I'm at a stop light, I keep my foot all the way in on the clutch -- in gear -- ready to go. I was taught to do that.

I was told that the problem comes when one rests their foot on the clutch while driving, keeping the plates(?) only slightly apart.

He pointed out that I had to have my clutch replaced at about 120,000 miles and he has never had to replace his -- coincidence? Or could he be right?

G
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You have two things that are happening when you do that, the 'throwout' bearing is engaged and spinning, and the clutch plates (depending upon their adjustment) could be slipping/wearing.

When the clutch is out, the throwout bearing is not normally engaged nor are the ball bearings spinning. Unlike a wheel bearing or engine bearings which are made to handle a lot of pressure and spinning all the time, these aren't. With you sitting there with the clutch in, you are forcing those bearings to engage and spin. If it's a long time in traffic, put it in neutral and let the clutch out.

When you have the clutch in, and the transmission in first gear, then you know you are depending upong the clutch to slip (since you are in 1st gear, but you have the brakes on and don't want to move). There isn't a whole lot of pressure on it however. You get more wear when you are actually letting the clutch out wanting the car to begin movement. It's overcoming the inertia of a stopped vehice, and getting it to move.

Friends right, let the clutch out in neutral.
  • gabbadabbagabbadabba Member Posts: 10
    If there isn't a whole lot of pressure on it and most of the wear comes when the clutch is let out to begin movement and overcome inertia, doesn't that wear happen regardless of whether the clutch has been in while stopped?

I always feel safer in gear because I can move fast if I need to.

My mechanic said it's OK to keep the clutch in with the car in gear at a light as I do, but my friend was not buying it so I posted here.

Anyone else want to weigh in?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    The point is, there is wear going on while you are sitting there engaged in gear, and not moving. If you want no wear, then put it in neutral and let the clutch out. If you are okay with this wear, then keep doing what you are doing. The wear is way smaller than while you are actually letting the clutch out in first and beginning to get the car to move, but it's still technically wearing. There are so many other clutch wear factors that would have a larger impact on the clutch plate than this...you're focusing on a minor item.

I'd personally be more worried about the throw out bearing, than the incremental wear of the clutch plates.

It's your car, if it makes you feel safer doing what you are doing....continue doing so. Worst that can happen is that you might have to do a clutch repair service earlier than someone else, thats not the end of the world...it's only a car.
  • canada740canada740 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. The squeeking clutch pedal is very likely related to a faulty spring design. Honda issued a bulletin about this for a range of years. My 97 Civic has the same problem. I purchased the spring, but the job looked ugly. Maybe I'll ask the garage guys next time the car is in.
  • sasao456sasao456 Member Posts: 1
    I can start my 1994 honda civic dx 4dr but when i try to put it in a gear it just grinds i have been to auto shops just too see what answers i can get and they all say bring it in i know i can fix the problem but can never get the right answer some mechanic told me it would cost 800 bucks and i looked at me and laught i just need to know what needs too be replaced some say the clutch or the slave cylinder or the master cylinder if theres anyone out there that can help it would be awesome the gear feels like it is engaged PLEASE SOMEONE HELP BECAUSE ITS GETTING READY TO START SNOW WHERE I AM AT AND I AM NOT TRYING TOO CATCH THE BUS thanks if anyone could help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pinoysrule88pinoysrule88 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone,
    I'm relatively new to driving manual transmission, with about 2-3 months of experience. I was just wondering if there are any bad driving habits that I am using. I wanted to know if it's recommended to hold the clutch in without the gas when I am cruising around corners at a low speed. Also, I am not sure if it's worse to downshift to a stop or to just pop it in neutral and cruise to the stop using the brakes. On that topic, though, I would like to know the proper way to downshift. Thanks.
  • wsustudentwsustudent Member Posts: 35
    There are many different ways you can drive a stick and still maintain longevity of the clutch/transmission. The biggest thing you want to remember is that while driving, do not rest your foot on the clutch when cruising, but rest your foot on the dead petal next to the clutch. Leaving your foot on there while cruising may cause premature wear on the clutch because you may be putting a small amount of pressure on the clutch which may leave it slightly engaged. As far as coming to a stop, there are many different opinions on this subject, by my driving habits do not include using the transmission to bring the car to a stop. I just use the brakes and keep the car in neutral. My 03 Civic got 64,000 miles on the front brake pads before replacement was needed using this method.
  • suvanisnearsuvanisnear Member Posts: 4
    that noise should be the throw-out bearing so you'll have to get that replaced at dealer or at any other mechanic shop...
  • quietspiritquietspirit Member Posts: 27
    I've seen a few owners looking under the hoods of their Hondas or Toyotas on the streets and thought, "Hmm. I guess Japanese cars aren't 100% reliable afterall". Then again, any old car will breakdown eventually. I wouldn't look down on the car models just because of that. I've test drived one built in 1998 and the other 2000, and they were still pretty good. I was told that Toyotas and Hondas are expensive because many consumers think they're reliable for the most part in San Francisco. It's good that you mentioned that your 12 year old Chevy Cavalier with 200,000 miles has been very reliable. Now I can trust in finding a similar model that'll still run.
  • ampeg500ampeg500 Member Posts: 8
    I'm also having this problem! I tried WD40 and it worked for a day or so. The dealers are such a hassle, I've just lived with it for the past 8 months.
  • wsustudentwsustudent Member Posts: 35
    Ya the dealers just give you the runaround because I believe its like a $600 job and I'm sure they don't want to fix it under warranty. Apparently it's the slave cylinder that needs replacement. Mine started squeaking at 37K. Of course it was out of warranty. However, now it has 122K on it and is still running fine. So, it's a matter of how much it really annoys you. I just got used to it after awhile. I'M BUYING AMERICAN FOR MY NEXT CAR as soon as this bomb dies. (This is obviously not the only problem I've had with this car). :mad:
  • jayrel985jayrel985 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 89 honda civic lx with a 97 civic motor the transmission is the original transmission in the vehicle, I wanted to know if I would be able to hook up an 89 clutch kit to it or if i would have to get a 97 clutch kit
  • nikki61018nikki61018 Member Posts: 1
    this morning i was driving to work i was getting on the on ramp when i went to switch to 3rd gear the gears sounded like they were grinding and the clutch stiffened up on me its hard to push the pedal down (feels like a big spring ) i pulled to the side of the road and tryed over and over to switch the gears and they wont and the clutch wont hit the floor is my clutch definatly done? lol i know nothing about cars but how to put in gas an oil lol
  • dave452dave452 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 1994 Civic EX, and the clutch just won't engage. I have no problem putting it in gear-- it feels like it is in 1st-- and there's no grinding or anything, but it just doesn't engage. I was at the top of a hill, I thought I'd put it gear, but when I took my foot off the break it just started rolling backward. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
  • tomf27tomf27 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    When I first start my car and try to put it in gear, it is very hard to put it in gear and the clutch feels like it doesn't engage and disengage until it is really close to the floor. Then If I pump the clutch for a bit it will go in gear easier, and as I drive it gets smoother and the point that the clutch engages and disengages seems to get better, as in I don't have to push the clutch in as far.
    I believe my head gasket is also blown so would that have anything to do with the clutch? (sorry I don't know very much about cars)