Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460 Navigation System

dgmcdermottdgmcdermott Member Posts: 10
The 2006 NAV override (volume button sequence) that allows you to make NAV entries with the car in motion, does not work on the 2007 LS460. Does anyone know the button sequence?

I suspect there is one-since the 2007 Avalon with the same NAV version (6.1) has an override for the joystick version (does not work for a touch screen NAV like the LS)

Comments

• egusmanegusman Member Posts: 15
    the 5th generation 6.1 disc(U30 at 2 oclock.)( has the overide disabled due to govt regs probabvly. the 6.1 avalon is still 4th generation computer so not disabled. the 5th generation 5.1 disc has u30 number around 2 oclock. still works but id has been declared defective and being recalled. getting rid of the overide button means us citizens are unbale to multitask apparerently but japan has tv tuners movies and overide button still.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    There is no known override for the LS460.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    do you really want to give override ability to a citizenry that can't even spell or type?
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    do you really want to give override ability to a citizenry that can't even spell or type?
    Very cute.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239

America is obsessed with preventing idiots from hurting themselves, or someone else. From Helmet laws to seat belt laws to cell phone laws - we do our damndest to keep you safe (and the manufacturer insulated from litigation). Which is one reason why we made no private aircraft in America for a couple of decades. Seems, the lawyers think they should be made to never wear out. Ridiculous.

Yet - you can still smoke legal,highly addictive poisonous leaves. You can still drink highly intoxicating beverages and drive your car (with your seat belt on, your airbags on standby, and your cell phone off).

Yes, I want an override. In any other country but this one, you can operate your system while in motion, or your co-pilot can do it, if you're smart. You can't make this world idiot proof. Idiots are going to drive. Get over it.
  • dgmcdermottdgmcdermott Member Posts: 10
    well stated. I too think this is an absurd Lexus feature
    > You can still drink highly intoxicating beverages and drive your car

What kinds of beverages are you talking about?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think the point nvbanker is making is that nothing physically restricts someone who has been drinking alcohol from operating a motor vehicle, therefore why should there be a physical restriction on the navigation system. I am not saying I agree with this point of view, just telling you what I think he meant. Nvbanker can certainly correct me if I've misunderstood. :)
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    The issue with Lexus providing features on their automobiles that are available in other countries, but not in the US, has to do with Toyota's view of the American Legal system. The Toyota Executives are afraid that there will be a tragic accidents and the victims or victims families will sue the manufacturer(Toyota)for an alleged malfunction. Can you blame Toyota? Where else in the world can a knucklehead sue a restaurant because they spilled hot coffee on themselves. Anyone hear the latest, a guy sued a dry cleaner for losing the pants to his suit for $56m. The guy lost, but the case actually went to court. The problem is not Toyota, it's us!
    The problem is not Toyota, it's us!

Oh, I agree - it's the Lawyers.
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    Yup, that's how John Edwards made his millions.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It's how a lot of people made lots of money, but this isn't the right place to get into that. ;)
  • sandy_eggosandy_eggo Member Posts: 7
    Hi All-

I am a Lexus owner that is "mad as hell" that Lexus took away the override without even telling their customers.

I have started Lexus Override as a way to re-establish this nontrivial feature to us, the car owners. Please sign up and be counted so Lexus recognizes how many of us are not going to take this lying down! Your email will be kept confidential.

Lexus Is Not My Mother
    Hi sandy_eggo, I tried your links but they gave me "404 Not Found". So I googled lexusoverride.com and got to your site immediately. And signed up.

Try this link: http://lexusoverride.com
    Well, they probably didn't tell their customers about it in the first place. How long has the override been public knowledge?
    Yes, they never told us about the override, it came out of the skunk works department and was passed along. Personally, I do not use it (yet), because you must do it every time you start the car - and that's not good enough for me. I do firmly believe that I am responsible enough to use it carefully, and my co-pilot would be working it anyway. Can't be any more unsafe than eating a burger, lighting up a cigarette, or talking on the phone, which you can't do because the function blanks out when you're moving! :mad:
    Hey nvbanker, that gives me an idea. Why don't they disable the cigarette lighter when the car is in motion? Wouldn't that be consistent with their idiotic policy?
    Now, ur talking!!
    Can't be any more unsafe than eating a burger, lighting up a cigarette, or talking on the phone...

I'd agree its not any more unsafe, but as you said, it is unsafe. A driver really shouldn't be doing those activities either since they distract from operating the vehicle.
    It could be potentially unsafe, as any activity could be, listening to a CD can be distracting, so can daydreaming, or looking intently at the Tachometer. It's part of instrumentation, and can be safely used by the driver, and certainly the passenger, as any of the instrumentation can be.

I've been talking on a cellphone while driving since 1986 extensively. No accidents. I think I can use Navigation safely too.
    It would be nice if they could devise a test for drivers so that those who are able multi-task could be licensed to use their cel and nav system, and those that couldn't would be prohibited.

Those people would have to have a bumper sticker on their car stating, "If I'm on the phone, watching a DVD, eating, reading, or putting on make-up, call the State Police"! :D
    I noticed today that Lexus has added a new option, if you have registered on Lexus.com, to submit a missing address or business, check to see what is available on the current map disc, check city listings and verify which DVD map disc fits your vehicle.

Go to www.lexus.com and click on OWNER at the top of the page. Just register and you will have unlimited access to these features. Remeber, you must have your VIN to register.
  • roddmod11roddmod11 Member Posts: 55
    I have seen more posts on Nav in cars that make me wonder if anyone has heard of Garmen, you know like the Nuvi 360 portable with bluetooth, voice for your phone, take to your other car or friends cars, walk down the street and find restaurants and stores. Plug into your computer to update,not have to go to the dealer, set your destinations in the house then in my case use the suction cup mounting and stick right next to the gear shift and go. No problems with using it while driving,will never be outdated (throw away and by a new one) does not have the distracting screen in the dash, which you have to play with for other functions in the car. When your hard drive crashes what else will you loose? Why would you not go portable?
  • terry79terry79 Member Posts: 27
    I could do without the nav, but have to have the ML. Wish
    they had ML with a suction cup.
    I use a portable Magellan (similar to the Garmin) for my Harley (attaches right to the handlebar), and I've also used it when I've gone cross country skiing. However, as good as it is, it doesn't hold a candle to the Lexus nav system. Also, you don't have to throw away the Lexus system, your dealer can easily update it yearly.
  • chasfjchasfj Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone actually had the mapping SW on the LS460 updated? I'm told by the parts guy that unlike the LS430 which just involved replacing the DVD, the LS460 mapping software is on the hard drive, and is updated through a firewire port via some sort of memory stick ($265 plus labor). Can anyone confirm any of this, or provide some details around how the Nav is updated in the LS460?
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    I can confirm what you say--mine was updated by the dealer to ver. 7.1. Don't know the cost as they didn't charge me.
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    When did you buy your car? Does Lexus cover the update for a period of time?
    How do you find out the version of the software?

I just got my 2008 LS460 (previous car S500), I feel the Nav system works pretty well, including the voice command.

My only problem so far is after I program security gate clicker successfully, it somehow didM not work. I wonder if anyone has any experience in this matter?
  • sandy_eggosandy_eggo Member Posts: 7
    After a *lot* of complaining, I got a rebate for the cost of my Nav system. Here is a link to my check -- www.LexusOverride.com --. Copy it and take it to your showroom and fight to get yours too. I have spoken to Lexus about getting a rebate to all www.LexusOverride.com registrants - so far without success. But if they gave a rebate, they must know at some level it just isn't right!
    sandy_eggo,

I'd love to get the rebate too. I do I have to do to get it?
    I have registered with override.com.
    I am not planning to go as far as asking for a rebate from Lexus, but I do hope that a lot of readers of this forum will register with http://www.lexusoverride.com/ to make it clear to Lexus that they should try to find a solution to this problem.

We (or our passenger) should be able to enter a Nav destination without having to get off the highway.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    There is an override kit from Prestigious Society that works. It's a plug and play module that lets you use the system in motion. It's about $299 which is pricey but it does do the job.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/pdfs/DVD_nav_overide_pamphlet.pdf

For some information and chung@prestigioussociety is a good information. If you live in LA they can install it for you. It's actually a Japanese kit but they happen to be the US distributor for it. They are a great company to deal with. It works with the 7.1 and the 8.1 map updates for the LS460, LS460L, and the LS600HL.
    Did anyone else get the email for the $199 map disc? It says its until the end of the month.
    I got an email from lexus@sewellparts.com offering the new Nav update for $199. It also indicates that the update for the LS460 is now in the form of a USB memory device. My dealer says installation cannot be done at home as it requires 4 different special tools, and their change is $120. Does anyone know if that's true, and if not how do you install it?
  • cyberbuffcyberbuff Member Posts: 1
    The NAV System on the LS460 in any year Prior to 2009 is a Gen 5,
    This CANNOT be upgraded to Gen 6 without a Susbstantial HW Upgrade...(in excess of $10K)...

Bob
  • marcusmacmarcusmac Member Posts: 1
    Boy, I just encountered the exact same thing today. Did you ever get any help on this?
    I got no help from this site, but in the meantime my dealership has changed hands and the new one (South County Lexus of Mission Viejo) quoted me "about $250", although they are not yet set up to do it because their computer system has to be updated. It sounds to me like the price has to cover the cost of preparing the data, not the cost of the installation. I'll let you know the final when it is done.
    So they (South County Lexus, Mission Viejo) got their act together and installed the Nav update on my 08 LS460, charged me $199 for the software and $60 for the installation. That seems to be the fair price for the update.
    What's new in the update from 2008 version?
    There are no new features. Just updated roads and interchanges, addresses (where new houses were built), and of course business changes. I would think in areas that have been fairly stable you wouldn't need to update. But here in Southern California where they're building a new mall and a new freeway every other week you need it :-)
  • fbr3fbr3 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '09 LS 460 AWD. Nice car with some slight issues (slight but noticeable hesitation at about 40 mph, and odd noises from under the hood on deceleration). I find most anything done with the LEXUS NAV system overly complicated and tiresome to deal with. NOT a simple system. Especially if you AND your wife each have a Bluetooth enabled cell phone!

GMC must use a similar system in their Denali's as the voice and screen are similar, just not as deep in functionality. They, too, do not trust us to have our travel partner (my wife in this case) update NAV entries, etc. This is our Government in action, not LEXUS. Still aggravating though. A company or two have some fixes to allow entry while driving for most cars. The LS 460 not being one it seems.

I have an '02 Corvette convertible with no NAV system other than the GARMIN NUVI purchased for travel in it. GARMIN seems to feel that with a hold harmless warning we do anything while driving at our own risk. Good enough for me. In this society of law suit crazies, I am not sure I blame LEXUS or GM for their caution. They should, however, offer GARMIN's hold harmless soluton.
  • corderbocorderbo Member Posts: 1
    I was at Sewell Lexus in Ft. Worth yesterday and they informed me that the software to do this update is delivered in a thumb drive (USB device) and that it's cost is $165 with the installation cost being $120. It has to be downloaded from the thumb drive into a computer which is then connected to the car and installed. I seriously doubt that this will ever be a home installation setup. It would be very easy to do with a DVD that is pre-programmed to update the onboard computer and install the update when put into the DVD player built into the automobile. The only DVD's I have seen with this setup are about 7 gig's in size which means that we are now talking about a Blueray player which these cars do not have. Another way to keep those U.S. dollars flowing toward Japan. :^(
    I don't disagree with anything you said, and am grateful for the info, because I was interested in doing the same thing, and wondered about the cost. Now, at least, thanks to you, I have some numbers to go to my dealer with in case they want to gouge me, a favorite passtime of our dealer. However, I will mention that a combined cost of $285 for the total update isn't out of line really. The DVD to update my 05 and 02 LS430s, cost me $250 from Sewell, and I installed it myself, but still, only $35 difference all in all. My Fords DVDs cost $200 to buy, with self installation. I expected frankly to pay a lot more, since this is a "captive update system" now. Thanks for the info, again. Very helpful.