Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L News, Views and Opinions

Comments

• cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    One of the guys I play tennis with changed his mind and decided to go with the S550. He was going to go with the LS460L. He previously owned an S500. BTW, he had this vehicle in the shop rather frequently. Of course he brought up the recent C & D comparison where the LS460L came in last place among the 5 luxury cars tested. In particular, he mentioned the breaking distance from 70 to 0 as pretty awful. I tried to tell him that this was a pre-production model but he does not believe me. He picked up the C & D magazine and read the review and he claims that it does not say it is a pre-production model.

Here is where ljflx can be of help. lj, about 10 days ago you stated that this C & D comparison is a joke and I agree with you. You also said that you really had to look hard but in a subtle message the C & D revealed that the LS460L was indeed a pre-production model. I read the article through a link this past hour, but I cannot find this subtle statement. Where exactly is it located? I did see that the test was done on August 29 with a stated curb weight of 4700 pounds. How can this not be a pre-production model?

After some thought, I have come to the conclusion that the real reason my tennis buddy decided to go with the S550 was for prestige. In his mind, he will look like more of a "big shot" with the S550. After all the trouble he had with his S500, I am very surprised he went to the "dark side" ;-).

Merry Christmas and a Happy, healthy New Year everyone!
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Merry Christmas Cyclone and everyone else. Been real busy so I have'nt been reading up much the past week.

In the exerp below (which comes in the LS review part of the story) here's the only time in that review that you see mention of the car as a pre-production car. If you're not paying close attention you read right past it.

"The steering mechanism rotates as if on roller bearings (it might well be), and the sound levels are low enough inside that imperfect door seals on our preproduction vehicle produced wind noise that seemed hurricane-like in comparison"

Now compare that to how they went out of their way to let you know the A8 was a 2006 model right out of the gate before you even get into the A8 part of the review:

For 2007, the A8 has a new direct-injection 4.2-liter V-8 with 350 horsepower; unfortunately, only a 2006 with the 40-valve, 335-hp V-8 was available for this test. So keep in mind that the specification, performance, and pricing information are for the 2006 A8L. Expect the ’07 car to be a smidge quicker and cost about $1000 more.

Now shouldn't the quid pro quo (if you are reporting objectively) have been to state that "unfortunately, the LS 460L we tested was a preproduction model etc" and for that to have been made crystal clear in the article upfront. When I see bias like that I dismiss the whole report on the LS immediately whether it's pro or con. Of course it had no chance to be pro and that's why they made the notation of preproduction as hidden as they could.

Here's the whole story:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12081/2006-jaguar-super-v-8-vs-2007-merc- - - edes-benz-s550-vs-2006-audi-a8l-quattro-vs-2007-lexus-ls460l-vs-2006-bmw-750li.h- - - tml

BTW - I mentioned this review to a high source at my dealership. His response - which may be predjudiced or may be accurate - is that many auto reviewers are not happy that Lexus is selling $80-100K cars. As well the expected rollout of the L650 and the sportscar - which will be priced at $150K and the pre-orders of the LS600HL at over $100K are making it even worse. Most thought that when LS prices bumped against S550 prices and leapfrogged 7-series prices LS sales would falter. Instead people are bypassing the reviews and lining uo for the cars. As a poster pointed out earlier the car is difficult to even test drive because it is snapped up so quickly. I've heard a few reports about the LS460L going $5K or more over list now.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I've driven the 460, and it won't feel that much different to you, and unless you get the L, it won't park itself either. The seating feels the same. It drives smoother, quieter, and easier than the 430. I'm with you, power isn't an issue, my 430 has plenty, but once you get inside, you'll be greeted with a nicer array of instrumentation. Similar to what you have, but better and more attractive.

I say, you can afford it, get one and boost the economy a bit. You won't be sorry, and you'll enjoy the car tremendously. I'm going to, but my current model is an 05, and I'm waiting probably another year or so.
    Thanks again lj! I wonder how many others actually saw this word (preproduction) as they read the article. I certainly missed it. I am not even sure that people on the HELC board saw this with their own eyes. This is so incredibly sneaky on the part of C & D. It will be a real pleasure to point this out to my tennis buddy. I can't wait to see his explanation now.
    It's why the C&D report on the LS is a joke. I've been in the publishing industry and know many editors. You only write like that if your intentions are NOT to be objective. I've driven the S550 and the LS460L several times. They are very much alike.

OK - I've got to get back to Christmas before my wife and kids kill me.
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    OK, there have been a few comments posted that have helped crystallize my thinking. A casual read of reviews and comments would have one believe the 460 is a revolutionary design product. I think this is what has bothered me all along.

The 460 is not revolutionary at all; rather it should be viewed as a refined, heavier, smaller inside (SWB), and restyled version of the 4XX product line. For those of us who own/drive an earlier version of this series have long learned to appreciate the many wonderful attributes of the vehicle, and coupled with an examplary reliability history there is little reason to change except for emotional considerations. The changes being hyped probably are not cost effective if one is currently driving a late model 4XX. Thanks guys.

BTW, I think the 9-spoke wheels of the 460 are dopey...anybody else bothered by this detail?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I think your analysis is a good one. I'm trying to rationalize trading my '05 LS for the new LS, but it's not going to be a rational decision if I decide to get one. As far as the wheels are concerned, I think the chromed 5 spoke 18s on my LS look better than the new standard wheels. (and the new optional wheels don't look so great, either)
    Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You have to put it in perspective. In my opinion the 460 is a better car and regardless the new model is going to cost more money. You don’t have to go LWB, it’s not inherently better and it doesn't seem like you need it or want it. Since you have an 06 430 I don’t see what the issue is. You knew the new model was coming, so why are you compelled to squander money on a 1-year trade in? You’re not going to be left in the dust by keeping the 430 and you're not going to win a Nobel Prize by buying the 460. Keep your 430. It’s a good car, it's practically new and most importantly you like it. And if you don't just kiss the money goodbye and don't look back. It’s that simple.
  • dan67dan67 Member Posts: 51
    Decision:

I'm Going to keep my nice looking, reliable, 65K 2001 LS 430 for 6-12 more months. During this period I'll decide what options and color I want for the 460. Dealers will start to deal and all (any) glitches will be fixed. My 430 won't depreciate much more. I'll see the new variations including AWD and the hybrid if they come out.

Besides the other pluses I'll save about $1200 A MONTH by waiting just this short period.

My ego won't be too bruised as my brain wins this little battle. Input here from all of you was helpful. :)
    This is precisely what I am doing with my 2004 LS430. I am waiting to see what the LS600hL has to offer in the Spring. If the trunk capacity on the 600 is as small as the current thinking, then I will wait until the LS460L comes in AWD.
    Very wise decision IMO. Good strategy, financially as well as practically.

I'm keeping my 05 for a couple more years myself - until it starts to look worn anyway, it is exactly what I want in a car.
    Emotionally, the S550 is more attractive to me than the LS460, but then things happen that draw me back to Lexus. A case in point: this morning I was at an MB dealer and I sat in an S550 for the first time. I asked the salesman how you adjusted the lumbar support. He hadn't a clue (and he'd been working there for a year.) He asked a salesman who had been there for 20 years, and was told that you adjust the lumbar support through the COMAND system. Isn't this just totally ridiculous?!
    Does anyone know where oak has been the past month or two? I miss his comments.
    Emotionally, the S550 is more attractive to me than the LS460,

Oh, me too, absolutely!! Everything about the S-550 is more appealing to me. The size of the steering wheel, the seats, the power, the drive and the looks. However, COMAND is a nightmare, always has been. Every time I test drive an S-Class, there are numerous things wrong with it that "I can bring it back to service to fix at my convenience" if I buy it. It's a ton more money than the Lexus, and it would be worth it, if it gave me the same type of reliability as the Lexus does, but it doesn't even come close. And lastly, you're exactly right, the sales people don't get it. I go in in my suit, driving my Lexus, not exactly looking destitute. The salesman I'm talking to in the showroom, assigns me to a salesbabe to take me on a "test ride" where I get the "turn right, turn right, turn right" treatment right back to the dealership. Upon arrival, the salesman who was too busy to go with me says, "How do you like it". My reply; Well, I really don't know from 4 right turns in a quarter mile. At Lexus, they tell me to take it home for the weekend and let them know on Monday. So far, I've bought every car I took home.

MB is arrogant, and so are their people. For the money, value and service, I like the LExus.
    You and I are thinking alike, nv. However, the wife doesn't think like us, and she's been lusting after an SL500/SL550 for a long time, even though she's never been in one. (Actually, I've never been in one either.) I bought an SL550 for her as a surprise gift yesterday, and take delivery on it tomorrow. I hope the ownership experience turns out to be a happy one; I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Her SC430 will be going up for sale soon. It's been a wonderful car for nearly 6 years.
    The SL will disappoint in a lot of areas, but not in performance, handling, comfort or noticeability. That, she'll love. You, will hate the service department, and the cost of frequent visits there.... But it's a hellova car.
  • arizonamikearizonamike Member Posts: 4
    Lots of Lexus and car experience here. Had new 90,95,98 and 01 LS cars. Drove all 100k miles+. Just got my new black, black LWB with touring. Gave up the best car I have ever owned when I sold my Black/Ecru '01 LS ULTRA to my 28 yo son. That was a great car! Dealer offered me $17k. It was worth $30+ to me. I leased that car 3 yrs, extended the lease at end and then bought after 5 yrs because I could not part with it. More options than my 07 L with MSRP of $82,407. Learned that if you wanted the touring pkg, you could not have all the back seat upgrades. I have a my own list of minor details that the 01 Ultra had that the new, not quite loaded car does not have but I will not go into it now. I am slow to adapt and usually dont want change; starting to like the 07. Soon son and I will hit some back road and do our own stopping test with the 01 just to see how the brakes compare. The 01 had fabulous breaking reviews; comparable to Porsce as I recall. I think my 07 stops real well but not certain if it is as good, worse or better. Waited 3 mos for Black, black, touring and got $500 off MSRP. Leased for 3 years/12,000 miles for $1370.59/mo plus AZ sales tax. Did 3 yrs rather than longer in case I get attracted to something else. At 61 the number of new cars I will buy is dwindling.
    Dont know how to make my Mac I pod or Xm satellite work, nor have I started to dig into the 3" thick manual. Still on first tank of gas. Slow learner. I think i will miss the rear AC now that I have a bigger (LWB) car, no side shades, black interior and live in the desert. But I think I will be able to stop better (than the standard car)and the bigger wheels/brakes will be more adaptable to 20" after market wheels if I so decide. That was a trade off I made when I got the touring. I too read the C&D review. They compared a Lexus with dual AC and deducted for smaller trunk which is mandated by the second AC system. Did not use touring car with bigger brakes and deducted for longer stopping distance. Tested a pre production car, not a full production model. Did they plan to sabotage the Lexus? If so, why? Read the report days before I took delivery and could have cancelled and bought a Merc 550 but my 15+ years and nearly 500,000 miles of absolute trouble free ownership gave me pause. My 2003 SL55 has been in the Mercedes shop 2x and both times the experience was totally unsatisfactory. I have much more to say but I have taken up enough space. Merry Christmas, Happpy New Year and best to all. Mike@Tucson.
    I, too, have had wonderful experience with Lexus vehicles and Lexus dealers. I've purchased 6 of them in the last 9 years, and all have been nearly trouble free and the service experience has been outstanding. I'll probably get an LS460 eventually, but I am put off by the fact that, to get all of the features of my '05 Custom Lux LS430, the new one will cost me about $10K more. I am also put off by the fact that I have to look twice to tell the difference between an LS460 and an ES or IS. My favorite story of MB dealer abuse is the time I took my new S500 in for service (to the dealer where I had purchased it) and they gave me a Geo Metro loan car. To add insult to injury, they inspected it very carefully for damage before and after I took it out. Mike, I am also in Tucson. (I should add that the experience I just described was in Dallas, not Tucson; I've had pretty good experience with the Tucson MB dealer.)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to CarSpace, Mike! Looking forward to hearing about you getting to know your new LS. :)
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Mike: How's the ride quality with the Touring Package? And the handling? I'm always concerned with the noise level of "summer tires". Is that OK?

Incidentally, by coincidence I talked with the salesman you bought your car from this morning. It's a small world.
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    Since 1989 , I have possibly owned more Lexus Automobiles than any one person . 88 including sons , daughters , partners , parents , siblings , and on .
    Currently , i do own the LS 460 std , and a partner owns the LS 460 long . the LS swb has about 400 miles on her , and the Long has 2200 miles .
    The swb is a $ 67.2 List , and the Long = $ 81.8 .
    SIMPLY PUT : THERE IS NO CAR IN PRODUCTION , NOW OR EVER
    WAS EQUAL TO THE 2007 LS .
    I do own a few LS 400's and 430's . ( one of the LS 400's has 900 miles on her... a 1990 ... the 39th car shipped to n america )( no : not 4 sale ) ...
    AS A CUSTOMER ( non dealer ) I HAVE SOME REAL TIME EXPERIENCE , AND ADMIRATION FOR THE LEXUS AND IT'S CREDO .
    ----------
    THERE ARE TOO MANY ISSUES AND QUESTIONS ON THESE PAGES , TO GO ABOUT ANSWERING BACK & FORTH .
    I WILL RESPOND TO "SPECIFIC QUESTIONS " FROM ANYONE ABOUT THE "07 LS .
    ---------
    I WILL OPENLY SAY : SIMPLY : THE 2007 LS , IN ANY FORM , SHORT OR LONG , SPOKED WHEELS OR HUB CAPS PLATED IN 24 K GOLD , IT IS THE FINEST , BEST , MOST ENJOYABLE MACHINE
    TO HAUL MY BUTT FROM PLACE TO PLACE .
    OK, mitchell. What about the '07 LS do you consider to be the most significant improvements? Are there any changes which you consider to be a step backward?
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    I have had the 460L with Touring (silver/black) about 2 months now and have no noise issues with the 19" Bridgestone touring tires that came on mine. Some of the Touring ones may come with Dunlop Sport Max performance tires and it would be interesting to hear feedback on those tires. I have found the handling and ride to be excellent and of course with the adjustable air suspension you can set it to float over the pavement or go more with the sport mode which is my default setting. No road harshness in any setting imho.

I'm just up the road a bit from the Tucson duo at our Scottsdale house for the holidays driving our Infiniti 35 Coupe which is certainly a very fun alternative to the LS which is back up in Seattle so haven't had the pleasure of driving the LS yet on the AZ roads.
    hello : happy holiday's rcf8000
    i disliked the 18 " wheel / tire set up which was an option on the "05 and "06 LS430 . in the market where I live , the dealers who have a coercive meeting together , before the card are ordered , agree to order all their cars with the same options . therefore , the 18" wheels / tires were a mandatory option in my neck of the woods . first the option was $ 200 , then it became $ 1800 . the 18's with the dunlop d 5000's were what i called the " wandering
    desert rats " . the car drifted from side to side , and favored a right drift . there were all kinds of factory fixes , that never made the car go straight . additionally , the wheel balance on the 18's with dunlops , was next to impossible . certain roads were the worst . i finally threw away the d5000's and put on bridgestone torenza's . the stone's worked in a straight line , and ran ok in the rain . the dunlop 18's slipped in the wet like silicone .
    the LS 460 swb , that i acquired has 18's in bridgestone's from the factory . also , they are a fatter size , with more tire on the ground , like the 17's on the LS 430's .
    summation : the LS460 swb with 18" stone's runs true , hold's in the wet , and are stiff .
    Other improvements : heated steering wheel , satellite radio built into the radio , higher roofline for head room , larger rear seat area , control of rear hot seats
    from the front or back , much hotter and wider headlight beam / vision , tire pressure by digits on the dash , more pleasing and brighter interior lighting , trunk that open and closes itself like the rx's , doors that close themselves , an even quieter ride , and finally some noise from the engine when it's running .
    additionally , like the SC430 coupe , the leather is outstanding with heavy stitching and detail work worthy of a fine english automobile .
    more power from a dead stop , no noticeable gear shifting from 8 forward gears , a larger fuel tank , and a center
    console that shuts itself .
    that's alot for one answer .
    mitchell rowe
    Thanks for your observations. My '05 has the 18" wheels with the Dunlops, and I have not noticed the problems you describe. Happy New Year!
    Interesting - neither have I. In fact, I'm pretty impressed with the Dunlops, and Consumer reports rated them the highest of all in that size class. However, if I need to replace them, I'll likely go for Michelins. I'll also likely never buy Bridgestones - because I'm bitter over the Firestone scandal, and the way Bridgestone would not accept responsibility, even after it became completely apparent that they had put out faulty tires from at least one plant.
    Bad, arrogant Japanese business, and I'm not over it yet.
    good morning & happy new year mr. banker
    question please :
    your statement published as follows :
    Bad, arrogant Japanese business, and I'm not over it yet.
    IF THIS IS HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT OUR JAPANESE FRIENDS ,
    WHY DO YOU BUY AND DRIVE LEXUS ?
    mitchell rowe
    re your experiences with LS 430 18" wheels/tires...did those cars have the factory Sports Suspension package?
    mr. tricky :
    re : 18' wheels + dunlap 5000's
    are on the standard model LS430
    don't know what the factory used as rubber / wheels on the sport option ...
    i do think the wheels are 18' , but the tires are
    SUMMER TIRES - NOT ALL SEASON ....
    probably not the dunlop 5000's
    happy nerw year
    mitchell rowe
    mr. tricky : reply # 2
    note : on the 2007 LS 460 ,
    the wheel nut torque has been INCREASED SUBSTANTIALLY
    from the ls 430
    CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FOR PROPER TORQUE
    FOR YOUR MODEL
    PROPER TORQUE ON A " NEW CAR " , INSURES
    SEATING OF THE ROTORS , AS TO NOT WARP .
    mitchell rowe
    Mitchell...my '06 LS 430 with Euro Suspension was delivered with Bridgestone Turanza P245/45 R18 96V tires, and I am quite pleased with tracking, wear, and braking of this machine. No comment re torque; I haven't tried loosening any lug nuts, but I feel the brakes are among the finest I have experienced on any car. Not for panic stops necessarily, but just for every-day feel and performance. How would you compare the brakes of the 460SWB to the 430?

If you look at my posts for the past 2 weeks, I have been seeking feedback from those who have owned/driven both models...not just from readers of magazines who seemingly are more interested to compare the 460 w/MB products, rather than earlier Lexus LS 4XX series.

Thanks and Happy New Year
    mr. tricky : hello again :
    please accept , these are my personal opinions , from personal experiences . i am not a graduate technician / expert .
    TORQUE : I WAS SPEAKING ABOUT THE LS 460 ( new model )
    the new model , LS 460 , requires a higher torque on the lug nuts ( higher than the LS 430 ) ... for the LS 460 please see the owners manual for proper foot pounds .
    BRAKES : YOUR LS 430 HAS BRAKE ASSIST . THE BRAKES ARE
    THE BEST THEY CAN BE ON A PRODUCTION CAR , WITH NO FADE IN A PANIC STOP .
    BRAKES ON THE LS 460 COMPARED TO THE LS 430 :
    the brakes on the LS 430 , are more sensitive to the touch of the foot , but i do not think they are different in any technical or operational respect .
    the "brake hold function , by "pushbutton " is an extremely helpful , functional addition to the vehicle .
    for one thing , you can't forget to put the emergency brake on or off , as the automobile does it for you .
    ( safer )
    COMPARE WITH MB PRODUCTS : i cannot / will not compare a lexus to a mercedes . as a previous multi mercedes owner , all i can say is : it's a great car , if you have a spare car to ride around in while your mb is being rebuilt , rewired , and re programmed .
    You have a " great car " in your LS 430 , enjoy it . it is the best there is . When the time comes , you'll be in an LS 460 soon enough .
    Oh ! Tires : glad you have the stones for your shoes .
    mitchell rowe
    IF THIS IS HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT OUR JAPANESE FRIENDS ,
    WHY DO YOU BUY AND DRIVE LEXUS ?

Decent question, Dr. Here's why. A) Toyota didn't do what Bridgestone did, and B) Lexus is the best at what they do, IMO.

If Toyota stonewalled like Bridgestone, I'd probably avoid them and distrust their products as well.

Look, I'm just being practical here....someday I'll consider Bridgestone again, when I feel their cause is just and their product is superior. I have no such evidence of that quite yet.

Lastly, you haven't asked yet, but I know you're wondering; my comments about Japanese business practices being arrogant wasn't really intended to denigrate the country - it's just kind of a way of life there, that first, they don't like to believe they have screwed up, and therefore are loathe to admit it, and secondly, they have a low opinion of Americans generally, thinking we're fat, stupid and lazy. I don't take it personally, I respect them for what they do well, and I'll buy Japanese goods, cars, etc without reservation except where there is direct evidence of abuse, as in the Firestone incident.

Thanks for asking ;)
    I previously stated I had said my piece of this subject. Please indulge me with one more comment.

I drove a SWB today and was generally disappointed compared to the LWB driven previously (having air suspension, etc.) It is a noisy car, the steering feels numb, the backseat leg room is less, the rear window seemed to have less visibility, and driver seat seemed less comfortable (new pair of shoes syndrome?). It was shoed with Dunlop tires.

I still have a LWB on order with the touring package and hope it renews my enthusiasm compared to today's experience. The dealer had a 460 displayed with the optional (Telios??) wheels and they are quite an improvement IMO over the standard 18"...the price was increased $2,995 for this feature. I have seen the 19" 5 spoke wheels on the TP and they look quite nice for my taste.
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    "they don't like to believe they have screwed up, and therefore are loathe to admit it, and secondly, they have a low opinion of Americans generally, thinking we're fat, stupid and lazy"

In Japan when an executive screws up they resign. Contrast that with American executives. Also Japanese executive compensation is much more in line with the overall employee compensation. Their newspapers
    Japan Times, Daily Yomiuri, Nikkei, (English versions on web) etc. are as open, and maybe more so, than any American newspaper. I go to Japan once or twice a year on business and have never experienced any anti-Americanism . Here is my judgment of Japan:
    1. Japan is the most civilized country in the world.
    2. Japan is populated with quality fanatics
    3. The Japanese aesthetic sense is remarkable
    When Mitsubishi was found to have serious defects in their cars a few years ago, sales dropped precipitously in Japan and still haven't recovered. Nothing much happened to Mitsubishi in the USA.
    Bridgestone tires: I have all season run-flats on my GS450h. They are noisier but perform beautifully in fast cornering without squealing. They came with the car. If the car came with Dunlops I would have asked the dealer to replace them. Although now owned by Bridgestone, Firestone tires are American.
    Addendum: Just found this on the IHT review of Mitsubishi after writing the message above:
    "But not every Mitsubishi company is enjoying a renaissance. Mitsubishi Motors, which has struggled since a defective product scandal in 2000 hurt its image, has registered sizable losses for three years in a row and is not expected to turn a profit for the year that will end in March."
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/29/business/wbmitsu.php
    I go to Japan once or twice a year on business and have never experienced any anti-Americanism .

I wish I could believe that were true. Certainly not been my experience - clearly you don't go where I go. But as I say, I wish it were true.

I was involved in several cases of litigation over the Firestone tires made in Decatur IL, that were shown to be defective. Ultimately that plant was closed, at least for a time, but it was months before Bridgestone would admit that Explorers were flipping over ONLY on their tires, even when NHTSA proved it was so. I wasn't impressed with the integrity shown there by the CEO of Bridgestone. Any manufacturer can have issues. But as with Mitsubishi, Bridgestone also didn't not want to own an obvious issue.
    Toyota was reticent to admit to their V-6 sludging problem, and although stepped up on some replacement engines, to this day they admit no engineering flaw, and attribute the entire phenomenon to "improper servicing" of the engine.
    Honda put out some faulty transmissions in 04 that went into Accords, MDXs and Odesseys. Do they admit that they manufactured bad transmissions - not really. They have been good about replacing them if they blow under warranty, and most of them did.

I'm not a Japanese bigot - obviously, if I drive their best car, but they have faults, they're not perfect, as a culture or a people. My gosh, they attacked us for Pete's sake, and that was the stupidest thing any people could do! Their banking system and economy has nearly failed recently so, though they have their strengths, they're not the greatest IMO.

Eventually, I'll get over the Bridgestone thing. May take a couple years.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I am also not a bigot but I see your point and I happen to agree with you. I love Japanese cars but I certainly do not aspire to live or work there. Their society is not nearly as open and free as ours is. They do not have our diversity which is both good and bad for them. They are very single minded people and they work very hard. Just not a lot of imagination.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    are always dangerous ...

In any case, we're here to talk about the LS 460 itself.
    21% gain for the year and that's with a weak LS year. Lexus shipped just under 3900 LS460's in December - highest amount I ever saw for an LS - and I still can't find one. They are holding one for me for March but I'm going to have to deposit it by the end of the month as the car is now sold out here thru March.
    mr. ljflx : i don't know the #'s on how many 460's were shipped .
    i do know there are no cars for sale , and a march car is an early delivery . i know people who are promised july
    august . they are selling above list in the auto wholesale community . i have one , and it is truly an experience for the senses. there are rememberences of the LS400 and 430 ,
    but the 460 is it's own car , in it's own world . one could easily say it is the first LS that is not "mindless" . it is a machine for those who appreciate an automobile .
    About 9600 LS 460's shipped since mid October. October was only a half month. Generally they're averaging around 3800 a month. I also have no doubt that Toyota is reporting the LS460 (probably other models too but I've only checked the LS460) on a one month lag by playing games with dealer title transfer.

Toyota, Lexus and Scion full year sales:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007010356633
    Look @ AUTONATION dealers in the Tampa/Clearwater area; they are currently showing 20 LS 460s' in inventory with small discounts advertised on some models. Also look (again AUTONATION) at Cerritos Lexus in Southern California; their inventory shows 11 cars...what shortage ??
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    There have been reports of some dealers advertising or listing inventory that they have a bunch of LS 460s but in fact they are pre-sold or may be coming to the dealer in the future but aren't actually at the dealer's lot for sale. The only way to really tell is to call or better go to the dealer to really see what they have. The advertising of inflated inventory is to get you there so you will place an order with a deposit.

That's not to say some dealers don't have a few cars but be aware of the frequent inaccuracies of reported inventories.
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    I bought my 460 last Saturday from one of the largest Tri-State (NJ, NY, CT) dealers for Lexus.

Originally was going to get the burgundy (something like Nobel - something) with a back up of a black with cashmere.

Went and saw the Nobel outside and did nothing for me or the wife. As they say, I smiled at the car and it didn't smile back. I asked when the black with cashmere was coming in and they went to check. We then saw a black on black and thought is was the one we wanted.

Was told it just arrived and was not even on their delivery sheets. Bought it immediately.

Now, I had already been told they were getting list, but insisted getting a discount. After 3 hours on the phone, back and forth, was given a 3.5% discount (This would be the 4th Lexus in the last 3 years). I was told that they normally would not give a discount on the black/black, but would honor our discussion. New wheels were $2999 and they gave me $500.00 off.

Now this is a huge dealership and they have hundreds of cars on the lot and normally have a large number of LS's. They were literally selling the LS's when they were being delivered to their inventory yard, sight unseen and whenever they got one/two extra, they were selling immediately when they got to the showroom. The Nobel went during the 3 hour period I waited for snows to be installed.

My sales person said she set her own personal record with 42 cars during December.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Which dealer?
    Prestise Lexus - Ramsey, NJ
    Prestige Lexus.

Should have used spell checker......:-)
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Thanks.
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    I checked the Elte of Lexus dealer list and Prestige Lexus is not on it.