Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L News, Views and Opinions

Comments

• mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    hello mr. tricky :
    reprint from your past entry : -------
    Has anybody noted the latest J.D. Power survey indicating Lexus is no longer the top rated luxury vehicle and how Korean products are filling the niche in the mid and ------

what is the top ten order from the J>D> Power survey ?
    who is on top now , if not lexus , etc ?
    mitchell rowe
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    It is a rather lengthy article...refer to the 6/14/2007 story on http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/
    Oops; a typo...should have been the 6/6 article highlighting Ford's improvement. Must be that damn 80 year old brain malfunctioning again!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    .........Must be that damn 80 year old brain malfunctioning again!

Tricky, I'll be ecstatic if my brain functions as well when I'm 80. I enjoy your posts; please keep them coming.
  • dan67dan67 Member Posts: 51
    Almost everything gets rated. People, Governments, Locations, Hotels, and a million other things including CARS. I just have a few thoughts about ratings:

1. Time: The best opinions are those given from experience over a considerable time. Quicky opinions are very suspect as ljflx posted earlier here. Opinions of new "owners" are often prejudiced as they prove how smart their decision was.

2. Prejudice: Better opinions are those given without compensation or preconceived bias. Thus I trust opinions posted here more than car magazines and especially companies paid by those seeking a rating.

3. Annactdotal Opinions can be useful but are best if backed up with numerous concurring opinions. From what I see here I'd say the new LS 460 is a terrific luxury car.

4. Fools: As Mark Twain once wrote: Each of us knows it all, and knows he knows it all--the rest, to a man, are fools and deluded.

Happy fathers day to all you fathers out there. :)
  • woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    I was aware that holding the open button for an exteneded period would open all four windows and the moonroof. The question is can this happen due to stray signals, say someone's garage door opener, or perhaps if another lexus in the area. No big deal in my garage, but what about outside just before it were to rain. So far this has not been repeated, so it is a theoretical issue. I was playing with these functions the night before, but the car was buttoned up so to say when I concluded.
    I am more suspicious of random code being generated somehow within the 460's command network. My understanding is these functions are all controlled by (several) microprocessors rather than being hardwired to the individual devices waiting for an analog signal to initiate the function. My thesis is based a habitual habit of my departed 460 of windshield wipers activating in bright sunshine for no apparent reason; my sister-in-law 3000 miles away experiences exactly the same behavior with her 460.

These are the things that really annoy me about Lexus management...the reason I keep harpng about reliability. Why won't they listen, and create action to improve the product rather than continuing to hawk that silly park-o-matic feature? Did anybody else notice the repeated commercial on yesterdays' U. S. Open with the 2 champagne tower parking episode?
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Is it possible that the button was depressed accidentally while sitting down in the house? I have set off the car alarm in another vehicle more than once by bumping the remote in my pocket. I have owned LS430s for five years now and not had that happen to me. Hope it's not a "gremlin" running around in the LS460s electrical system. [A gremlin is a folkloric creature, commonly depicted as mischievous and mechanically oriented with a specific interest in aircraft. Their origin is found in myths among airmen, claiming that the gremlins were responsible for sabotaging aircraft.]
    In our house, anything is possible. I will look at this possibility if it happens again. Thanks for the thought.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have never heard of it happening to any car. LExus is not the only car with this "windows down" function.
  • mcolekymcoleky Member Posts: 1
    We are considering our first Lexus. I like everything I've read about the 07 LS460. Actually, the LS460L sounds great, but a tad much.

We have no particular time schedule. Will the prices drop significantly later this year as the 08 models are available? Or, are the deep discounts I read about on this thread related more to the change from the 06 430 model to the 07 460?

Thank you for your help.

rlc
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    My guess is the prices will not drop significantly because a) there is not a lot of inventory out there and b) there are a number of buyers who would not pay MSRP for the car who are just waiting for the end of model year.

Probably your best deal will be on a demo. Good luck!
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Instead of buying a 460, have you considered buying a late model low-mileage 430 with all the Ultra-Lux features? It would give you things like air suspension, dynamic cruise control, cooler box, etc. which you would not get on the SWB 460, and I'm sure it would cost a lot less. It would also be quieter, if that is at all important to you.

Best luck on whatever you decide.

Renny
  • ginonrocginonroc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Lexus LS460 L and just returned home with all my windows down and the sunroof open, but the doors were still locked. Of course we had a severe rain while I was gone. I've had this car 3 months and no problems. To open all the windows and sunroof requires depressing the hand-held key twice and holding it down for 10-15 seconds to fully open and somewhat difficult to do by accident. Also had a MB E320 CDI and I am use to this function. Neighbor across the street (100 yards) also has LS460. Any ideas?
    I am still suspicious of random code generation in a faulty microprocessor, although it is difficult to explain how this happens if the power is off (i.e. sitting idle after a few seconds.)

One reason for trading my 460L were these quirky experiences. I became convinced such occurrences could not be solved by the local dealer, and Lexus HQ did not show much interest even with their claim for the relentless pursuit of perfection. It was torturous getting them to diagnose and repair a demonstrateable fault when my inside trunk release failed. That experience required 3 days and repeated demonstrations to varied service personnel before action was taken..."are you sure you haven't disabled the switch within the glove box?"

The most frequent malfunction on the car I traded was the windshield wiper activation for no apparent reason. My sister in law has exactly the same behavior from her 460 and she lives 3000 miles away.
    mr. ginonroc :
    i am sympathetic to your problem ('s )
    as you might know , i sold my LS460 with 2200 miles
    and all but two lexus automobiles in the second quarter .
    i am not in a position to give advice of any sort , however i can say , on the microprocessor vein ...
    BE CAREFUL WHEN IN DRIVE , AT A STOP , WITH FOOT ON THE BRAKE , THAT THE ENGINE DOESN'T GO FROM IDLE SPEED IN GEAR TO + 200 OR SO RPM'S HIGHER . this action can cause
    physical repercussions . it happened to me many times without notice . mitchell rowe
    that Toyota/Lexus put this vehicle out there without sufficient testing to catch these errant faults. Admittedly, they are random, therefore hard to predict and fix, but this is not the track record LExus has had in the past, and it's disturbing. When Ford can put out a vehicle with no apparent first year flaws (Edge, F-150 to name a couple) but LExus can't put out their new flagship without these issues in the first year - I'm amazed, shocked and appalled.

Bottom line for me is; if I buy another LExus, it'll be an 08, not an 07.
    "I am still suspicious of random code generation in a faulty microprocessor, although it is difficult to explain how this happens if the power is off (i.e. sitting idle after a few seconds.)"

tricky73, I think the power is not totally off, there must be some power to certain circuits, else how could the car respond to the remote door control? And as long as power is still available to a microprocessor, it seems possible that some design error (hardware or firmware) could cause such a malfunction.

Renny (ex-hardware-and-firmware designer)
    Thanks for the reminder; older mechanical types like myself need refreshment from you more-nimble electronicers!

As I have said for several months, the disappointing thing is the seeming disinterest on the part of Lexus HQ to catalog such reports and query this database occasionally to see what needs attention. The excellent reputation established by the LS 4XX series has (rightfully) been achieved from many years of experience and attention to problems reported by their customers.

I doubt the handsome "L" grille adornment will be the only attribute needed to remain on top of the heap in the future relating to reliability and customer satisfaction.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    How do you set up the phone book so that the incoming caller's name and phone number appear on the nav screen when they call you. I have downloaded all my names and numbers from my phone, set up my speed dial etc. If I make the call, the name & number apppear--but if that same person calls me from that same phone, His name and number do not appear on my screen. I have had an 04 LS 430 with Nav and an 06LX 470, set them up the same way and could see the name and number on the screen when one of my contacts called me. I also remember reading something about a "1+" set up, but can't find it. Help!
  • dan67dan67 Member Posts: 51
    I could be wrong but I remember the Lexus expert telling me if I wanted it to show names and numbers of people calling I had to remove all the "1" in front of each number in the memory.
  • jsandsjsands Member Posts: 3
    I'd like some advice. Since the touring and luxury packages are mutually exclusive, which is the best bet? Does the better leather really look that much better than the "standard"? Is the handling appreciably better with the touring package? I should add I mostly care about aesthetics and I am not terribly interested in road feel unless the touring package makes a vast difference in handling. Thanks.
    I think you just answered your own question - clearly the luxury package is for you (and for me) if you're not into the "driving" experience. The Touring package is designed to give you a little more "BMW experience".... Sounds like that's not your thing.
  • leza2279leza2279 Member Posts: 10
    There has been quite a discussion on various owners forums regarding the wind noise issue on the LS460.

I just got finished a phone discussion with the Service Manager of Newport Lexus and I am in a state of shock. I was informed that there is NO fix for the wind noise problem for the LS460. The service manager stated that they had a meeting with the Lexus district manager yesterday and he officially advised that Lexus has tried a number of fixes for the wind noise issue and none of them was successful - and that included replacing the windows and molding. After expressing my dissatisfaction, I was told to take the matter up with Lexus corporate.
    Has anyone been told something different??? Any thoughts on how to proceed?
    Your experience sounds very familiar to me.

Based on experiences I had with the 460 I became convinced this design is not ready for market, and dumped it in favor of a 450h. I too had wind noise in addition to numerous electrical problems, plus an intense dislike for that damn park-o-matic feature that didn't work. To Lexus' credit, they did refund $700 paid for the parking assist. Before a howl arises from numerous cheer leaders on this thread, I admit perhaps I got a bad one; but apparently I am not the only one disappointed with Lexus' attitude on this model, and hope owners with more years left to fight Corporate than I have will persevere.

Again I would advise those driving an LS 4XX if you are satisfied with it, be cautious in replacing it with a 460...you may be quite disappointed if it ever requires something more complicated than an oil change.

• cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    According to some folks on the Club Lexus forum, the wind noise issue is being addressed right now. There is a fix according to several there and it is being repaired as I write this message. Please check it out.
    mr. leza2279
    you wrote : quote : The service manager stated that they had a meeting with the Lexus district manager yesterday and he officially advised that Lexus has tried a number of fixes for the wind noise issue and none of them was successful - and that included replacing the windows and molding.
    Any thoughts on how to proceed?
    YES ... i have many thoughts on how to proceed .
    the most prominent thought is internal ; as follows :
    Keep the windows and molding , but ..............
    throw out the rest of the poor excuse for a car .
    mitchell rowe
    I have not tried this, but the business data base is accessable by the telephone number. Plug in the phone number and the system will guide you to the business. I believe that I was instructed not to enter the 1 when entering the 10 digit number. Perhaps that is where the skip the 1 before the number came from.
    Anyone hear anything from under the vehicle when going over a large bump slowly, such as a speed bump??
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Yes, check out CL as several are reporting Lexus having successfully addressing reported wind noise or leak-like sounds.
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    Perhaps to many cocktails...........what is CL?
    "what is CL?"

clublexus.com
    For those of you who had an LS430 with Bluetooth phone and now have the LS460, how would you compare the sound quality of the phone sound when it comes through the car's speaker system? In my 430, the sound seems to come from just one speaker, below the steering wheel, and it is not very high quality. Often it is hard to understand clearly what is being said.

By contrast the outgoing sound, picked up by the two microphones above the rear view mirror, seems to be very good. People have told me that they can hear me very clearly.

Just wondering if the 460 improved the incoming sound quality.
    The people receiving my calls tell me the sound quality is better. My incoming call are better now that I know how to adjust the sound quality and volume. (link below is to youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVhZOy3zqVQ
    Sid, before you adjusted the sound quality, how did the 460 sound compare to the 430 sound? In other words, if the sound is now better than before, is that because you adjusted something or because the 460 has better incoming Bluetooth sound than the 430?
    I would not say the 460 originally had a better sound quality--I did not notice it being any worse either.
  • gq2007gq2007 Member Posts: 2
    Has any one experienced the air leak noise at the rear windows or otherwise with 460L? I am about the pay big dollar amount to buy one. Any suggestion.

Any opinion on applying the Magna Shield for ext. paint and interior protection?

How about buying into three years extended warranty?

Assitance is appreciated.............. :confuse:
    Do not waste your money on Magna Shield or extended warranty--as to the wind noise--do not buy one that has wind noise. Try to find a latter build dated car, as mine was built in may07 and does not have wind noise.
  • gq2007gq2007 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your kindly advice. Saved me lot of thinking and 3k..........
  • newrnewr Member Posts: 24
    Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Lexus 460.. but there's a lot of discussion about this "wind noise" problem. I test drove one the other day which was shipped in July..so I guess the newer ones built. What exactly is the wind noise.. is it just wind noise we usually hear with cars in high speed or is it something different? I did notice hearing some wind blowing but is it a defect or is it just normal for a car.. cuz I can here wind noises on Audi or other cars in high speed too?

Thanks for your help.
    The 460 literature mentions infrared sensors to determine passenger temperature in order to adjust the climate control system optimally. Does this really seem to be working?

On my 430, most mornings I set the temp to 74, and in the afternoons I change it to 77. That has given me the best results. Does the 460 still need this kind of attention?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I'll say no because I can't even remember the last time I changed temp settings. The interior air temp has been so perfect that I haven't even thought about it since the day I got the car. So whatever gizmo they put in to keep cabin air temp uniform seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks Len, for your reply. Another little PLUS in my accumulating decision matrix.

Renny
  • omfstmjomfstmj Member Posts: 5
    this is a major problem...i and my business partner bought 2 new cars. the noise has been a real issue. we have done all of the "fixes" they do not work.

Lexus wants us to BUY new cars and trade the old cars in for a depreciated value.
    When I spoke to the birmingham general manager...he yelled at me on the phone and they refuse to let us talk with the district manager
    major problem with lexus 460. the car makes a terrible wind noise from the driver's side window and they can not fix it.

the repairs don not work and the district managers will notrespond to requests for action.
    it is a major problem. the noise sounds like a whistle. they are unable to fix it.
    I live in Birmingham alabama and I have the same problem. My business partner bought the same car and has the same problem. The dealership offered to swap the car for another one. When he tested the new car...it did the same thing. Now they are very resistant to doing anything biut yell at me over the phone. Do you know of anyone who gas begun any legal action ???
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Renny,

Have you driven the car yet? Keep in mind that my comments about the ride and handling are on an air suspensioned car with the car mainly driven in sport mode. I get the feeling Lexus is making the air suspension car easier to get in 2008. So you may want to try and test drive one. If I remember right you have an air suspension ultra don't you?

BTW - I don't know of anyone that has a wind noise issue and I know 8 LS460 owners in my town. Clearly some folks seem to have it on early edition cars. But on my car the only way you'll get a wind noise is to open the window. Car is as quiet as a mouse and is a dream ride.
    i know you wrote your message a while ago...they have not come up with a fix that works.....the noise is just as bad
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Speaking of poor service, let me tell you about Pohanka Lexus. I placed an order on July 5th, for a 2008 LS 460 SWB. At that point, the sales person explicitly told me, "you will have the car late/September or early October." A few weeks ago in Mid September I inquired about the delivery date of my car. The Sales Mgr. has no idea, does some research and comes back and tells me, "your car will be built in late October or early November." He also says, "he does not have a delivery date of the car. UNBELIEVABLE. I go from expecting to be driving the car in late September to having it built in November. Two and a half months after I placed the order, they tell me they have no idea when the car will arrive at their dealership! "We won't have a delivery date until it's been built. DO NOT BUY YOUR NEXT LEXUS FROM POHANKA, they are arrogant and incompetent.