Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Accord - Manual or Automatic?

stikitstikit Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Honda
I think this car deserves its own discussion

Comments

• stikitstikit Member Posts: 3
    Just turned in my 2004 civic si. Decided I needed to grow up a little bit, having a family of 5. If the 2007 accord 6mt is growing up then I'm there. hoping there are more grown ups like me out there who still enjoy driving a stick with some power!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .... hoping there are more grown ups like me out there who still enjoy driving a stick with some power!

...a few of us survive - -(not nearly enough to convince Toyota - for example - to offer more 5M/6M vee-hicles....).

..best, ez./././
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    to make this discussion a little broader and more encompassing.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I already don't like stop and go traffic. If I had a manual transmission I would hate it. Too me, an automatic is so much easier. Everyone has his or her own priorities though, so what I like, is not necessarily what you like. Only you can decide which is right for you. My truck is a manual, and it's just a hassle IMO.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    To offer the flip side (but not to disagree with elroy)... I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic and I love the manual. Lots of coasting, especially when going downhill. I find that my mileage doesn't suffer nearly as much as I thought it would.

However, I'll bet I'm in the minority on this one. Of course, I'd be bored to death with an automatic. :)
  • kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    I have a different reason for not buying the manual and that is resale value, Even though the MT and AT are the same price new(V6), I have to believe in 3 or 4 years the manual will be worth at least $1000 less than the AT. I know this is speculation however it's a demand issue, The demand for the AT is much greater. Just couldn't justify throwing money away on a manual.
  • stikitstikit Member Posts: 3
    For me it's ez, performance and fun. I looked at a few other cars in the price range ie: mazda speed6, although equally oufitted the mazda goes up to $32k+, the acura tsx and the subaru impreza. none of these dealers could come close to the lease deal I received on the honda. Even so, I love the combination of sportiness and luxury the Accord comes to the table with, and that's without any options.
    That hasn't been my experience... there is always someone who is looking for a manual. Of course, the auto costs more up front too.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Actually, in the V6 Accord, the 6-speed manual is the exact same price as the 5-speed Automatic.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    ... of "shiftless" people who have better things to do than coordinate five or six perfect shifts and clutch actions while trying to avoid some ditzy, self-absorbed soccer mom with a cell phone growing out of her ear and repeatedly weaving her foam-rubber suspension Lincoln Terminator across three lanes of traffic on her way to a sweat session (?!) with her personal trainer.
    True... I was thinking of the I-4.
    True... i think the auto in the I-4 models cost $800 or so extra.
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Then you have to consider the persons with health problems; like bad hips and knees who don't like coming home in pain after a long drive constantly having to clutch and shift in bumper to bumper traffic in Hotlanta. You just know that the AUTO is what you have to have so that you can tolerate living!!! :);)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Once you get used to it, you have to coordinate the clutch and gas about as much as you coordinate walking and breathing.

For me the stick is a no brainer. Cheaper, faster, more efficient, better in the snow, more control (esp on hills), push starts are possible (if you drain your battery), better weight distribution (and slightly less weight) and most importantly - more fun.

Thankfully Honda offers a choice.

Anybody read the new CR test of small cars (not the Accord). Interesting that some of the cars were 3 seconds faster to 60 mph with the stick than with the automatic. That is a huge difference. It is probably only about 1.5 seconds with a more powerful vehicle like the Accord (4-cyl) and less still with the V-6. Also the befefits of ABS were quite pronounced.
    Once you get used to it, you have to coordinate the clutch and gas about as much as you coordinate walking and breathing.

Getting used to it is not a problem ( I do it every day myself). But doing it ( shifting a manual ) is a hassle when I want to just relax, and drink my coffee on the way to work in the morning. A manual is only fun about 5% of the time, in my case.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    I can't imagine wanting to drive my wife's 5 speed I4 Accord if it had an automatic. Then it would just be an appliance to get me from point A to point B.

Life's too short. Enjoy it every chance you can. Even on those crappy drives to work.

Especially on the lower powered cars, the stick makes such a big difference in make use of all available power. I might feel a bit different if the manual was notchy or balky, but Honda make such snick-snick smooth shifters & clutches it makes it a joy to drive.

I agree on many cars, an automatic is the way to go, especially those that have no sporty pretentions at all (like trucks, which are immensly useful, but have the driving dynamics of, well, a truck).

I'm so glad that Honda doesn't pull stupid crap like other manufacturers (Nissan is famous for this) and require an automatic if you get certain, often minor, options. Honda gives you a choice across the board - stick or auto.
    I agree. I could have made a great deal on an EX-L w/Navi that was on the dealer's lot. I drove it but found the automatic lacking. They don't make many fully loaded manuals but I found one and it was well worth it.... for me. :)

I'm sure that if you drove just the automatic it would be fine for most. Then there are the people who can't drive a stick or don't want to learn. As others have stated, they find the auto more convenient. After driving both, I found a huge difference. Ain't choice grand??
    Especially on the lower powered cars, the stick makes such a big difference in make use of all available power.

I have the V6, so I'm not exactly lacking power. I can do without the extra hp a manual would have. I see an automatic as a luxury, because it makes driving so much easier and relaxed. If I had an S2000 that would be a different story.
    Of course if you have a stick you don't need the power of the V-6. ;):)

The 4-cyl with stick is also amazingly efficient. My brother has one (I don't - yet) and he averages nearly 38 mpg for his commute - mostly highway with some city, and can get over 40 mpg pure highway driving.

I hope Honda keeps offering the stick on all trims with the new generation.
    The 4-cyl Accord with any transmission will not hang with my V6 :D . I get 33mpg on the highway doing 80mph, so that's good enough for me. :D
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    True, with the 6, you don't need a manual to have a good amount of power. Heck, even with the 4 an automatic is sprightly enough for most folks.

I think your last sentence though sums up some of the difference between folks who want an automatic ("easier and relaxed") vs folks who would prefer a manual (I'll say "spirited and involved").

BTW, if this car had been primarily for me instead of my wife, I would have gotten the V6 w/6speed. A wolf in sheep's clothing, or what is fondly known as a Q-ship. :shades:
    BTW, if this car had been primarily for me instead of my wife, I would have gotten the V6 w/6speed. A wolf in sheep's clothing, or what is fondly known as a Q-ship.

I'm sure the V6 6speed is a fun car to drive. Of course I would have a hard time controlling my fun, and that would probably mean "speeding tickets". So maybe I'm better off without a 6speed.:surprise:
  • wcskjbwcskjb Member Posts: 10
    Couple more items on manual vs. auto from a huge manual fan:

1. Notice the number of complaints here from Accord AT owners? Even adjusting for the relative numbers, manual complaints are next to nil.
    2. My college kid has a Accord LX manual. No one borrows his car for the trek to local watering hole. A big comfort to me.
    3. Police will tell you they hardly ever see a stolen manual car except high-end sports cars. Don't know whether manuals get an insurance premium break in cities, but they should.
    .... Police will tell you they hardly ever see a stolen manual car except high-end sports cars.

....interesting post. I think you've just made my day.

..ez..
    Yeah... maybe I'll give my insurance company a call. lol :shades:
  • jet123456jet123456 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 honda accord ex-L v6 with AT. On the shift control itself I just noticed that at night with lights on - there is no illumination on the shifting device to make it easier to see you move from N to R to D etc. I know there is a indicator on the dashboard - but should those little indicators on the shift also light up? Just curious because mine do not. Thanks
  • falmouthfalmouth Member Posts: 30
    I also agree with this. I have a '96 EX sedan w/5 sp and it has 287K miles on it. Original clutch. Also have an 01 and just bought an 07 this week. All manuals and 4 cylinders. I have heard so many problems with the 7th Gen automatics that I'll stick with the 5 speed. The better contol of my car in snow and rain is also a plus. Traffic jams are the only time an automatic would be a plus.
  • chirocatchirocat Member Posts: 73
    I have a 98 Maxima with a manual and V-6. I absolutely turn my nose up at auto cars, my fiance' does as well. I am looking to trade in my Maxima for a 07 EX-L V-6 and I will not even consider a auto for a second. Not only is a manual just pure joy to feel the engine power directly, it also can save your [non-permissible content removed]. I saw a report of a woman that got carjacked; the perp pushed her over to the passenger seat at gunpoint then saw that it was a manual. He Told here, "YOU DRIVE" and he got out and ran around to the passenger side. Before he could get there she had the doors locked and was driving off. :surprise:

I once drove my car into the entry of a Sears Auto Center to get my tires rotated and the service advisor ( a black man in his late 40-early 50's I think) took one look and laughed. He asked if I could drive the car to the hoist, he had never driven a manual in his life. :confuse:

With there being such a small percentage of mid-range sedans with manual trans, it's easy to think that a thief would just move along. I also like the Q-ship persona, it's fun to sink unsuspecting dorks with your quiet, reliable, "invisible to cops", fuel efficient near luxury ride. ;)

Wish me luck, I have started the quoting process with the dealers!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    There were two recent car jacking reports in the news, and in both cases thieves did not know how to drive stick.

Here is one:
    http://www.theregister.com/2007/06/21/stick_shift_dummies/

"Two US would-be car thieves failed dismally to make off with a Honda Accord after discovering it had a mysterious manual gearbox, RTÉ reports.
    Having menaced the owner with a gun outside a pizza restaurant in Georgia, and relieved him of his wallet and car keys, the pair of teen master criminals prepared to make good their escape. However, according to an employee of the pizza outlet, "they could not start it because it had stick shift".

The eyewitness recounted: "The kid was just sitting in the car trying to start it but he had no idea what to do. He looked dumbfounded. The only thing he had going was the radio."

While dumb and dumber wrestled with the problem of how to drive a car with four on the floor, restaurant staff called the cops who cuffed them as they tried to leg it into nearby woods."

I can't find the other, but I heard it on the radio just the other day.
    Have you considered the fact that one day a manual may have the opposite affect. Say mister car-jacker was planning on making your wife get out of the car, and just take the car. But then when he finds out the car is a sick shift, he is forced to take your wife along to drive. I have a manual truck (I drive to work), and I would much rather drive my automatic car. I don't see what the big thrill is to exercise your left leg and right arm in heavy traffic, when you don't have to.
  • chirocatchirocat Member Posts: 73
    If my wife is that careless maybe it's time to trade her in.

I don't drive in heavy traffic unless there is a wreck. My commute is 23 miles each way and usually averages 80 mph on the interstate portion. The amount of times I have been stuck in traffic and cursed my manual is low and it NEVER made me even seriously think about getting a lame auto box. I would move closer to work before I would give up the joy of having a manual.
    The amount of times I have been stuck in traffic and cursed my manual is low and it NEVER made me even seriously think about getting a lame auto box.

I don't drive in a lot of heavy traffic either, but that doesn't mean I want a lame exercise machine. And I have never cursed my automatic. Enjoy your workout. :)
    Have you considered the fact that one day a manual may have the opposite affect. Say mister car-jacker was planning on making your wife get out of the car, and just take the car. But then when he finds out the car is a sick shift, he is forced to take your wife along to drive. I have a manual truck (I drive to work), and I would much rather drive my automatic car. I don't see what the big thrill is to exercise your left leg and right arm in heavy traffic, when you don't have to.

What if the car jacker does not know how to drive period, but has a gun.... your argument does not hold here....

As to excersise, have you ever driven a Honda manual?

It is far from excersise.

Going along the same lines, why bother excersising the right foot (gas and brakes) and arms (steering) when one could take a bus?

And yes, AUTOs are lame.
    I consider a manual having many advantages over an automatic but worrying about carjacking, exercise, or about my car being stolen had nothing to do with my purchase.

Driving a stick becomes second nature and I'm sure many auto-only drivers will never completely understand how the flow works. It really isn't any different than your right foot coming off the accelerator and applying the brake. You react; you do it. You don't really THINK about it, do you?

My left foot and right hand react just the same to any adjustments I need to make, whether I am just anticipating or experiencing a crisis.
    Driving a stick becomes second nature and I'm sure many auto-only drivers will never completely understand how the flow works.

I have a stick in my work truck, so I know exactly how the "flow" works. I just don't see the big benefit of shifting manually, when the car can do that for me. Sure, a manual can be more fun, at times, but most of the time it's just extra hassle.
    Sure, a manual can be more fun, at times, but most of the time it's just extra hassle.

I couldn't disagree with you more... but ain't it great we have that choice so we can drive what we like?? :shades:
    I couldn't disagree with you more... but ain't it great we have that choice so we can drive what we like??

Right! To each, his own.
    When you are used to it, shifting is about as much exercise and hassle as breathing. ;)
    ...When you are used to it, shifting is about as much exercise and hassle as breathing.

- - obviating the clutch would deny our auto driver the hands on experience of appreciating just how well Honda puts to shame many, many manual shift transmissions.

.... not really impressed with my 6M coupe's clutch. The transmission - however - is flawless (IMHO).

..best, ez..
    I have a stick in my work truck, so I know exactly how the "flow" works. I just don't see the big benefit of shifting manually, when the car can do that for me. Sure, a manual can be more fun, at times, but most of the time it's just extra hassle.

Does your truck have triple cone synchronyzers?

If you consider shifting a hassle, what do you consider excersising 3-4 times a week? :D
    Does your truck have triple cone synchronyzers?

I haven't the slightest idea. It's a chevy. If a tranny with triple cone synchronizers still has a clutch and a shift lever, I'd rather have an automatic.

If you consider shifting a hassle, what do you consider excersising 3-4 times a week?

I get plenty of exercise every day at work, thanks anyway. I'd rather relax while I'm driving. Many car reviewers have mentioned how well the Accord's automatic works (always seems to be in the right gear).
    My 5 spd. truck is a royal PITA in the bumper to bumper. Just aweful. Slow torture.

Drive a Honda stick. You keep bringing up how bad your truck's stick is. What is it? a Mack?

Why does a sports car have to have the benefit of having superior transmission, but the grocery getter can not?
    When I need to really MOVE though, there's no wondering "could I drop to second without redlining? It might be a close call, I better make it third" only to find out that third was too tall of a gear. In some situations, the automatic's computer programming can think faster than the driver.

An automatic means I don't have to be left wondering. Sure, automatics "dumb down" the driving experience. I'll be the first person in line to tell ya that. No argument from me. it is a "safe" option though, in my opinion. If the driver is not thinking clearly, the automatic is.

I have to admit that I have not driven the new 5 spd auto extensivley, I did test drive the 2005 CR-V auto and manual. Auto took forever to shift down when I pressed the pedal to the metal on a test drive.

Besides, automatics are a REACTIVE system, they react to what HAS ALREADY happened.

Manuals, because of the direct input from the driver, are PROACTIVE systems. They react BEFORE the event.

I confess, I owned an automatic vehicle, a 2001 CR-V. It was horrible, to get it to change speed you have to press the gas all the way into the floor, wait 5 seconds before the engine spun up, then another 5 seconds for the tranny to shift. By that time, the opportunity was lost and I had to brake so that I don't hit the vehicle in front of me.

Manual, is much much easier in that aspect. I see an opportunity in my rearview mirror, I select the gear that I will need to merge into "the opportunity" and hold the engine at the higher RPM to maintain the current speed and wait for the "opportunity" to get closer, as the "opportunity" is in place, I just punch it, and I am in. No waiting for the engine to spin up, no waiting for the tranny yo decide what gear to use. I have Pre-emptivley selected the proper gear and was done with it.
    I confess, I owned an automatic vehicle, a 2001 CR-V. It was horrible, to get it to change speed you have to press the gas all the way into the floor, wait 5 seconds before the engine spun up, then another 5 seconds for the tranny to shift.

If it took ten seconds from flooring it to downshift, you had a major transmission problem.

That gen of CR-V was particularly slow with the 2.0. My aunt had a '97 and it was DOG slow. She traded it for an Odyssey which was much more powerful. You are comparing a 4-speed automatic from a ten-year old design... things have improved since then (I still say ten seconds to drop gears is a MAJOR exaggeration unless your car has problems).

I have a fairly quick car, an Accord, and have never been the type to need to "squeeze" into a hole in traffic to pass. If I needed a pre-emptive drop to third gear on the highway, though, I'd shift to D3 while waiting on my "hole" to appear. Always though, punching the throttle drops me two gears very quick.

I like manuals, trust me. They're a hoot. I'm not arguing that. But automatics aren't the slow-as-christmas pieces of crap that some people (not necessarily anyone here) like to make them out to be.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I owned an automatic vehicle, a 2001 CR-V. It was horrible, to get it to change speed you have to press the gas all the way into the floor, wait 5 seconds before the engine spun up, then another 5 seconds for the tranny to shift. By that time, the opportunity was lost and I had to brake so that I don't hit the vehicle in front of me.

Now we know why that CR-V would do 0-60 in about 10 seconds. :P
    Well of course! It's not even into 2nd gear by that point. It probably did it in 25 seconds if the car thinks 10 seconds before shifting each gear!
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    According to Blue Book and Edmunds, the 2007 Accord V6 Sedans have an identical private party resale value for either transmission. Both starting points are $21891. Private party sale is the best way to sell a manual.

I guess not offering the V6 manual isn't because of depreciation as they appear to be identical. Without a doubt, there is a smaller market for the manual so Honda may not think an additonal model is worth it.

Of course there are also 80 used V6 auto sedans within 300 miles of me and only 4 V6 manual sedans. My experience is there is less demand, but also less supply. Actually in my experience, as Hondas/Mazdas/Toyotas age the demand for manual used cars begins to outstrip supply at a rate far greater than autos.
  • ahsanman99ahsanman99 Member Posts: 28
    in my opinion manual is better and stronger than an automatic tranny.i have owned about 8 honda accords and never had to replace the clutch and all of my cars were between 200k miles to 500k miles with origanal cluthes,tranny and engine.honda make one of the best cluthes.I just sold my automatic 1989 honda accord for $1200 with 400000+ miles.check it out."WWW.HONDABEAT.COM".And click on high milage club
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    How was the auto over the 400k? Thanks.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    According to Blue Book and Edmunds, the 2007 Accord V6 Sedans have an identical private party resale value for either transmission.

I don't think it is as much a matter of resale value IMO as it is to find a buyer. It may be a non-issue when trading in, but likely when going private.

For sports cars, exactly the opposite may apply. A friend of mine is struggling to sell her Boxster with auto.
This discussion has been closed.