Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac XLR and XLR-V New Owner Reports

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited April 2014 in Cadillac
Now that you've had a chance to cruise around in your new XLR, tell us about your experiences -- handling, comfort, fit & finish, quirks, surprises, etc.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    I've been reading about top troubles with the XLR? Can anybody confirm/deny? Were there issues with the top on just the first model year XLRs that were resolved?

How's your XLR doing?

Better than the Patriots, I hope. :cry::cry::cry:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• charleszcharlesz Member Posts: 1
    I have had my XLR since the spring of 2005 and have never had any problems with it. I was told that the original problems were only with the first run in 2004.
    I love the car. I have owned over the past few years Cadillac STS's and several BMW 5 series and 3 series cars, all factory new. None of those automobiles can compare with the experience and comfort of the XLR. The car is a real head turner, you cannot go anywhere without answering questions about it.
    My overall description of the car is that it is a luxury Corvette on steroids. You will not be sorry.
    Thanks, Charles. I guess that confirms the adage of being wary of a first model year car... I don't think I'd buy a new BMW 3 hardtop convertible right out of the box, their first foray into the hardtop convertible arena. Now GM has some experience, XLR, SSR, G6.

Actually, your description of the XLR is oft-mentioned in XLR reviews, a Corvette that has gone to "finishing school" or something as such.

I continue to window shop, trying to figure out how to work one into my life. Hitting the Mega Millions would be a major first step!

Keep enjoying your XLR and please post any updates you'd like to!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• swoop2swoop2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2004 XLR with 10,000 miles (old rich guy owned it, never drove it much). I have to say it is a great vehicle to drive, much better than my Honda S2000 I traded in. And everybody loves it, I receive lots of positive comments on it. While I will miss my S2000, the XLR has quickly become the favorite vehicle in the family!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    I have some advise for cadillac, please change the wood in that car! Its so horrible, it looks like it came from an old coffee table!

I mean this only in the XLR-V.

They should have a separate wood trim that is only on V-Series models, save some green and use 1 wood trim, but make it look good. THe STS-V trim is not too bad, that should be in the XLR-V.
    Hmmm. I don't mind the wood so much (except I dislike the light Eucalyptus wood...). It's the general design and appearance of the interior that is continuing to give me pause as I debate treating myslef to a mid-life crisis toy.

• exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    If you don't mind the wood color on the V, then the V series is problably the best car in its segment. The gauges are BLVGARI (spelling?), the materials are really sweet, and the powerplant is ver nice. The weight is very light (a lession for other GM designs) and the chassis is corvette.

If you can pick one up, I don't see why not :D
    "If you can pick one up, I don't see why not."

No purchase, no matter the item or price, is easy for me! If I'm buying for someone else, much easier for me to process. But buying for myself: a slow and painful process... :sick:

One of the issues (and this is strictly my opinion) is that the XLR started out of the gate well over-priced. Therefore, even the used cars are too pricey (imho). Using EBay Motors & Autotrader, looks like used '05 can be had in the mid $40s, '06 about $10k+ more...? Surely a nice deal for a car that started out life with a sticker in the mid $70s, but still a rather large cash outlay.

At this price point ('05), there are a wide variety of brand-spankin' new cars that might quench my mid-life crisis, hard-top convertible, thirst: MB SLK, Vovlo C70, BMW 3, Miata (no interest in the VW EOS or Pontiac G6).

If I decided I wanted an '06 (or new?) a whole new can of worms opens up: Used MB SL? New 'Vette? Or do I just say the heck with it, you can't take it with you and raid the 401K for a Jag XK??? Porsche 911, Cayman or Boxster? Et al...

I like the concept of the XLR. The exterior, Northstar engine, 'Vette chasis and, of course, the hardtop convertible. The interior? Again, mho, in design and execution not up to the price of admission. Not a show stopper, but a pause button still. The gauges may be BVLGARI, but they do not appear very elegant to me.

So, I'll continue to ponder and fret and deny myself...

But, hopefully y'all are enjoying your well deserved toys and will occasionally post your experiences!

So, back from a week in SoCal: Santa Monica, Westwood, Pacific Pallisades, Malibu and San Diego. I saw 'em all: Bentleys, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lamborghini, Porsches, Mercedes of all shapes and sizes, BMW-a-gogo, Vipers, Vettes and Prius'! Even a Qvale Mangusta! But not one XLR! Not one!

What's up with that? Where are y'all?

• partsman427partsman427 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me why the production of 2007 xlrs is listed as 1505
    when 2004-5-6 xlrs is near 4000 each year? :confuse:
    Is that a production number or sales number? Either way, I'd have to believe that the answer is: demand!

As, I believe, the XLR is produced in Bowling Green alongside the 'Vette, perhaps they bled off production time for the 'Vette. I'll also believe that there is higher demand for the 'vette... Just a theory, though.

• ron89ron89 Member Posts: 2
    I've been with Benz's fo the last 10 years and now am considering replacing my SL with a good low milage XLR. Has Cadallac REALLY arrived again or is it just press. I left the American car market in 78 wih a vow to never buy another one ever, then I saw the XLR which is just drop dead beautifull. It also has a lager trunk than the SL,is much cheaper TO BUY. Qustion is, is the quality there??? Thanksin adance for any input..Ron
  • xlr_loverxlr_lover Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new contributor, and I'd like to talk a bit about the XLR & XLR-V.

I first purchased an '06 XLR, loved it! I should also mention that my five previous cars were Vettes, starting in '86.

No other car I've owned has gotten so much attention, age, sex of the people didn't matter, everybody had questions, the most common: "What kind of car is that?"

Well, after owning the X for awhile I had to jump to the V, and I can tell you, it's a different car!!! Very different, it handles great and has power to spare! Actually, I can see myself getting another in a couple of years.

So, if any of you are on the fence and wondering if you should take the plunge, do it! Don't hesitate!!! You'll love the V. If money is tight I would still recommend the X, it's great car,

One word of caution, if you buy used stay away from '04s and be sure to get one that is Certified by a Caddy dealership.

Happy motoring!!

Floyd
  • jojagjojag Member Posts: 1
    We are in the process of buying an 2005 xlr and wondered about the extended warranty. It is not a Gm dealer but an independent one. They are offering a plan by vehicle one. It is a GM company. What does anyone think?
This discussion has been closed.