Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Impala Paint Problems

bugley1bugley1 Member Posts: 10
I just got my car back from Power Chevrolet after having them paint the hood and the trunk both for having thin transparent paint they didnt have the emblems so i still had to wait for those i got in the car and the tire monitor light was still on after them having my car for 2 weeks needless to say i was upset.. to make a long story short they FINALLY after 4 trips to the dealer Fixed my Remote Range, Tire Monitors and the off and on working of the remotes. I was told they had to call GM and go through how to program the reviever with them. They also have a Buliten Reguarding this GM has changed the part for the remotes (because of the problems everyone is having) so it will need to be changed around NOV 20th once the part is available. As for now the car is FINALLY working the way a new car should!

Comments

• Options
    susanm5susanm5 Member Posts: 21
    I have a red Impala SS with 9300. miles that has over 70 paint chips on the hood. The Dealer won't fix it. Is anyone else having the same problems?
  • Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Not even close. My black 06 SS has maybe 5 or so. Sorry to hear about your car. :sick:
  • Options
    mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hi there susanm5

I have a Black '06 2LT with approw 4,ooo
    on it. Maybe...just maybe, only 2 - 3 chips
    on it. Sorry about yours !!! They generally won't and don't cover stone chips, but will, if the paint is defective.Where do you fall here...??
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    I believe the paint is defective!!! There is no way 70 stones hit my car! I don't even drive it in the snow. Any Advice?
  • Options
    Does anyone on here have defective paint which seems to chip for no reason? On the hood mostly.
  • Options
    Hi susanm5...is it Susan ??

I'm not too sure what you have done up to this point or what your experience is here...??? But, this is what I would do if i thought my paint was defective as apposed to normal stone chips...And, it would be in this order.... go to >>>>> service advisor first, then service manager, then dealership owner/president, then ask to seethe regional GM rep responsible for that dealership, etc. etc. until you get some satisfaction. You need to be Be quite firm here...!! They certainly are a rare breed... :sick:

Hope some of this helps.. :blush:
    Let us know how you make out
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    I have the "06 in red (maroon)..but the '06 red is not the same as the "07...my red or maroon I understand was discontinued in May of '06...I have no chips as of yet....
  • Options
    wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    Oh yeah, I sure do. Mine's maroon and I've had it for 6 months. About 2 weeks after I bought it a rock hit it and knocked 2 chips right in the middle of the hood. Made me sick, but I thought oh well, I'll have to get it touched up. Haven't noticed any rocks hitting after that, but now I have about 10-15 chips on the hood and some on the forward part of the fenders. In the chips you can tell the paint is really thin. Also, if you open the doors and look up at the opening, there are white streaks that look like scratches all along the opening. Not just a few, a lot. I definitely think it is defective paint or not enough coats or something.

Had to take it in this morning anyway (key fob fix - yea!), so I showed the chips to my service rep. When I asked who to talk to about it, he said probably GM customer service and offered to give me their 800 number. I'm going to call today. I'll let you know what they say.
  • Options
    I already called Customer Service and the area rep denied my claim-said the 70 nicks were due to stone chips! My husband went to talk to the salesman today and he said he would try to do something. I filed a claim with the BBB and we will see what happens at the dealer.
  • Options
    They might be due to stones, but if the paint were done right and thick enough, I wouldn't think you'd have as many. Seems to me if you can't hear the stones hitting, they shouldn't be hitting hard enough to chip the paint. I have chips on the fenders and side-view mirrors. I think I'd at least hear one hit my side-view, but haven't heard one hit but once.

I just talked to CS about 30 min ago and the guy asked if I was seeking financial assistance with getting it fixed and I said no, I you to paint it free of charge and do it right this time. He said if I'd shown the dealership the faded paint in the door openings they might have dealt with it there. He's calling my dealership and is supposed to call me back. We'll see if he does. I'll keep it posted as to what happens. Let us know if BBB is any help.
  • Options
    Just heard from GM CS. Same store they told you susanm. Stone chips not covered. If I think it is defective workmanship or paint will have to take it and let dealership body shop check it to see if they agree. Seems they forget so quickly that I told him it is at the dealership right now! Geesh!:mad:

Interesting that mine is the red as well. Do you know where yours was made? Mine was Oshawa Canada. Could be in our favor if they were both from there.
  • Options
    Wbow99.... IF I am not mistaken, all the impalas have been made in the oshawa, ontario, Canada plant since 2002.
    I wonder what Good 'ole Ron is going to say about this one ??
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    Thanks Frank. I didn't know that. Showing my GM ignorance but I don't feel too bad...apparently the CS guy didn't know either because when I asked he had to look it up by the VIN number. It would be interesting to know if other maroon 06 owners are having the same problem Susanm and I are having. Maybe more will speak up if they've just been watching like I did for a while.
  • Options
    Could it be that Frank works for GM and did all the red paint jobs?.. :confuse: ...it's just a thought!!!...ggeeeeezz..
  • Options
    Now we know. Hey, Frank. You owe me a new paint job. :shades: Maybe I shouldn't have said that. He'll probably come throw rocks at me and I'll have more chips. :D
  • Options
    Bryan,
    Have you checked for the paint issues mentioned in your door jams? I know your mileage is pretty low. Hopefully this problem won't affect you too.

Frank,
    I only pick on you when you're hiding out like you're too good for us. :) Now that you're back in full participation, all is well. ;)

Later guys (and gals),
    Ron
  • Options
    Mine is an '06..their talking about the "07's..and the red for the 07's is a different shade than mine....but, no, I have nothing as far paint chips or anything in the door jams....so far...
  • Options
    axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    Hi

I have a 06 impala LTZ silvertone metallic and i have numerous stone chips on the hood , bumpers , side mirrors, and even on the trunk but I do alot of highway driving, so I don't think you can blame it on any one colour. I guess its just the nature of the beast. Good luck in trying to get GM to admit to a problem with their paint jobs. BTW I am fed up with my impala. I have had the car in numerous times for the remotes power steering hose TPM ( twice in one day) popping noise in the dash, loose driver side window, I'm on the fourth thermostat ABS upgrade and the list goes on. Just thought I'd vent ... i must also add that i am a GM worker in ST. Catharines ON and we assemble part of the transmission that goes into the Impala and it is probably one of the only things that works properly on my car OK enuff. Bye
  • Options
    The GM Customer Sevice called today and wanted to discuss the case I filed with the BBB. I only filed it the night before! I guess that got their attention. I am trying to document some problems if any of you have any. My car the hood is missing 70 pieces of paint and a few on the quarter panels. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Where do you live and how did you get the dealer to paint your car? A bunch of us are fighting with Chevy and need some help!
  • Options
    Ok, nice try guys...!! :P Ya , sure would try to blame this whole paint chip thing on me..!! While the GM plant is only about 20 minutes away, I distance myself from it entirely..!! It seems that this impala paint thing is growing by the minute here. Hey Ron, NAAAAAAAAAA..!! Would never,ever think i'm too good for here , just a humble Canadian guy, you know your good friends to the north where your Impala was Made..!! I just needed to take some time to let my wrist heal entirely.
    Well...I better say here, that I just love my chevy or I will be in big doo -doo..
    Thanks guys for some levity.. :P
    Later....
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    OK, Lets see which red paint is the culprit here. My '06 has the Sport metallic Red which is more of a burgundy/maroon...that was the only red the '06 Impala's had. The "07 Impalas have 3 different reds...Red Jewel Tintcoat, Precision Red, and Bordeau Red Metallic.....Can we zero this down to a specific red?............talk later ...bryan
  • Options
    My 07 has Precision Red on it. Well I should say it HAD Precision Red on it until it chipped off!!!! Any one else have problem with Precision Red? My car was made in Oshawa,On Canada.
  • Options
    Someone posted that they used defective BASF paint on her 2003 Impala which the paint started chipping off 1 week after delivery. Are they still using BASF paint?
  • Options
    Back in '89 I had a blue S-10 pick up that had defective paint and they recalled that particular color and repainted all trucks with that color................so they (GM) have been known to recall lousy paint jobs.
  • Options
    Ok, here's my book about it. I talked with GM customer service Friday about paint -- see mssg #9. After talking to dealership they said that the body shop mgr was going to check my car to determine if pain was defective. Ok, so when I went to pick it up, the service mgr says it's stone chips and not covered. Only thing the body shop mgr could judge was whether clear coat was coming off. Duh! I knew it wasn't that. Anyway, when I showed him the door openings where the paint that is coming off he says that's just the rubber stripping on the doors rubbing. I say, yes, and is that supposed to happen? He didn't answer but said he would get the GM regional rep to look at it. I said he must not think it should be doing this since he calling in the rep. He said he wasn't saying because I might use that against him later with the rep.

Since then, while washing the car Sat I discovered chips on the roof (guess a rock dropped from the sky) and one of the door handles. I also have a spot in the middle of the hood that looks like the paint is bubbling up. It's about as big around as a pencil eraser. Had not seen that before, but I've been washing it in a car wash because of the colder weather. So, hood has numerous chips (very small to really noticeable size), front bumper, both front fenders, side view mirror, door handle and roof.

I also noticed that the bumper below the trunk and around the door handles has some slight scratches. Only thing I can figure is maybe when I leaned in to take something out of the truck my clothes rubbed it and maybe I had something in my hand when I opened the door. They will buff out since they are not deep, but I wouldn't think it would scratch that easily.

Oh, and on top of that, there is a small protruding spot on the driver's door where something from inside the door has pushed it out. I want to hear them say that is my fault somehow.
  • Options
    Hey, axle, maybe you can help me with something. I get almost a hiccupping if the speed limit is 30-45 and I have to maintain that speed. It's around there that the trans is switching from 3rd to 4th and doesn't seem to know which one to choose or something. It is worse going up slight grades. I also get a bouncing feeling in the car while this is going on. It was suggested during those times I put it in manual 3rd and let it ride there while having to maintain this low speed. Dealer says they can reprogram it, but it will cost me gas mileage. Anything else you can offer?
  • Options
    Bowl, is your car Precision Red also...Susan's is precision Red...there are 3 different red colors for the the '07 impala.....
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't repeat from early message that mine is an 06 sport red (maroon). Another one that seems to be having problems.
  • Options
    Ok, well, I'll have to keep an eye on mine...I have an '06 Sport red also....no problems as of yet.
  • Options
    lucky you. It's disgusting to see all the chips after only 6 months. You'd think I'd been driving gavel backroads behind big trucks or something. I only recall hearing a rock hit the car once and I know which chip it was.
  • Options
    By chance have you looked at door opening as I mentioned? In the opening on the car body I have white showing where the paint has rubbed off and I have red paint on the rubber/plastic stripping on the doors. I also noticed that on the passenger door the stripping is already cracking.
  • Options
    Good News! I just heard back from GM and they are going to paint my car all of the sudden! They deny the paint is defective,but they are going to paint it! So, all you people should file a claim with the BBB and you may get results also! Good luck and I will let you know how I make out with mine! File with the BBB !!!!!
  • Options
    Wonderful!! As soon as the regional rep turns me down, I'll file right away with BBB. Good to know there might be a recourse that works. Are they painting the entire car or just the areas where the chips are?
  • Options
    I have gone over my car with a fine tooth comb, kind of paranoid right now...but have seen nothing, inside the door pillars, inside the hood, trunk lid , every place, as mentioned 1 tiny little stone chip on bumper. also my car sat on the dealers lot 13 months before I bought it...snow, ice, heat, etc. for a year, if something were going to happen to the paint, it would have happened by now!.........As I mentioned in another forum, I know what it's like to have a lousy paint job and have to have a new car repainted....1989 was my turn.......my only complaint was the dealership did the repaint and as is with all dealerships and their union boys ( morons), they did a lousy job as I remember..and the truck never did look right!!,,If you can get them to let you take it to a REAL auto body shop and have it done right, that would be in your favor!!
  • Options
    What are the chances that they would be willing to let a regular paint/body shop do the work as opposed to their dealership shop? If they do allow a repaint, I just assumed they'd require it to be dealer done.
  • Options
    Hopefully , your dealership doesn't do body work and they have an outside source that does it.....best of luck...
  • Options
    Most dealerships outsource painting now. Between EPA regulations and other things, it's just too expensive to maintain a paint shop for occasional use.

Good luck to you all. Just thinking about your trouble is p!ssin' me off. I would hope all of you are taken care of. GM can't afford more horror stories and I've been pulling for them for the last two car purchases! :sick:
  • Options
    Hi there wbow199

Our friend Ron has made a very good point in his post to you that... " Most GM dealerships now outsource their body and painting work ". Yep, this is my experience also around these neck-of-the-woods. As a matter of fact, most of all the car dealerships here ,regardless of make, do the out-source thing... So, while you are probably going to get your wish for your car to go in to a regular body / paint shop for a re-paint, I can almost guarantee that it will be a shop that they frequently use and have a relationship with. So, Please don't think for a minute, that it will be shop of your choice.
    Hope everything works out....
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    Hey susanm5
    Ooooops....My message was supposed to be addressed primarily
    to you as well as wbow199. Somehow your name got dropped...!! :blush:
    Keep the faith...
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement, but I don't think I'll get that lucky. Dealership has a body shop and service mgr even told me when we were talking about it that he hopes they do agree to paint it because he will make lots of money doing it. . . :( Oh, and I discovered a new chip on the back quarter panel while gassing up last night and when I put groceries in the trunk 2-3 on the trunk lid. Didn't see those when I washed it Sat afternoon. :sick: Guess that would disspell the mgr's comment that if it was bad paint it would be chipping all around the car and not just the front area. Of course, he'll probably think I did them myself because he said that.
  • Options
    Today was a beautiful 60 degree day here in jersey...so...I washed and waxed my baby. Of course I looked every inch of her over looking for paint chips!! Nothing to worry about at this time , except I'm getting that feeling that I want to get those SS GM wheels for it......hold me back!!!
  • Options
    When they paint your cars, are they going to repaint the whole car?..or just the chipped surfaces? I ask this because with my chevy truck that had to be repainted they just painted the Damaged surfaces (hood and roof)...that was not a good thing!!...just never really looked right....and if they paint the whole car will they do the door jams? I ask this because I went thru this and I refused the paint job, refused to take the car off the lot and they eventually settled up with me by giving me $1500....I still had a lousy looking truck, which I gave to my 17 year old son at the time (17 year olds will drive anything)..and that was in 1990..they had their computer generated paint booth etc...if they paint the whole car and not in the jams and you want to sell it someday....some people can notice an "over-paint'...like having a car that was in an accident....just be careful....
  • Options
    I'm sure hoping they will paint the entire car since I've now seen chips on the trunk lid, roof and back quarter panel as well. The paint is rubbing off on the weatherstripping in the door jams. I can rub the red color off of them. The GM 800 customer service called me back today as a followup. Asked if they could call again next week to see if the dealership had yet followed up on getting the regional rep. I let them know that I knew they were painting Susan's and that if I didn't get satisfaction I was ready to go the next step. I just didn't tell them what that next step would be.
  • Options
    It will be hard to paint door jams and such because that is all done before the car is assembled. It might be a better option to get the car replaced although I don't know if that's something they would offer. Definitely take Bryan's advice because it will never be a "factory" paint job and will likely result in a lower resale value.

If the new paint is done well, and you plan to keep the car indefinitely, it may be a non-issue. But, plans can change and you may be forced to eat a loss in value.
  • Options
    Hey there Bry and all,

Me too...!! I washed & waxed my '06 girl yesterday and also went over her with a fine tooth comb. You know, mine is almost flawless. I have maybe 2 or 3 very minute stone chips on the bumper by my front license plate. I really feel sorry for all those who are having this GM paint problem...it's very frustrating on a new car !! When my georgous black beauty is clean, it looks absolutely spectacular in my opinion. Love my Chevy!! :blush:
    Here too....!! It was 59 degrees F when I did mine !!
    It's very strange how one day it can feel like the Artic here at -2 to -3 degrees F, than only a few days later it's +59...Oh well, spring is coming...hurrrrray !!!
    Have a geat day all you '06 & '07 Impala lovers out there.

Frank ;)

P.S. You know Bry, that feeling isn't going to go away here and I can almost guarantee you that you will likely kick yourself in the backside down the road if you don't. You will always wonder...???
    So, let me encourage you to bite the bullet and go Get 'em....they are great lookers !! :shades:
  • Options
    Definitely advice to consider. I usually drive one into the ground so to speak. Parked the 94 Camero for this one. It had 211K miles and numerous things were going wrong ... rearend, flywheel, possible trans problem w/overdrive, and the list goes on. Few problems up till then, but all these happened almost simultaneously. Figured it was time for a new chevy. With all the Impala problems I'm having, I'm wondering if I'll make it as long. But back to the paint... I worry about overspray too; especially with door jams. Not sure what else to do with all the red showing up on the weatherstripping. I mentioned asking them to buy it back, but I'm not sure they will with it not being a safety issue. What are your thoughts folks?
  • Options
    I went to drop my car off to get painted yesterday and gave the Body Shop Mgr. my list of chips that I had found on the car-which are over 100 in number. He said he was only authorized to paint the hood and would have to call GM. I waited to hear from him and finally went to the dealer and he said the rep hadn't called back. I went home and called GM Business Center and they said they would call the dealer and try to help me. Then I got a call from the dealer to come get the car because it was going to take a couple of days to decide what to do with my car. Then GM called and said that the GM rep said that my damage was due to stone chips and they would only paint the hood. So, I faxed the paperwork to the BBB and now we go to Arbitration. I am not backing down until the whole car is painted. I requested a meeting with the GM rep and they haven't gotten back to me. The Body Shop Mgr and his paint man both said that the paint was defective. What do you Canada boys recommend?
  • Options
    Good ole red blooded American here but I'm with you. Those chips all over the car weren't caused by stones. It's a shame because anyone with common sense should be able to determine that but this fighting over something so obvious just further tarnishes their reputation.

Good luck in your battle...
    Ron
  • Options
    Hey Susan

Way to go girl....dig your heals in, jump up and down, and don't give up !!!! :mad: This is one Canada guy that is with you all the way .....!!
    Carefull not sit back and wait too long for GM to get back to you though. At this point, obviously they won't be in too much of a hurry to give you a total re-paint. Remember that 'ole saying about the "squeeky wheel......" So, all the best and keep us posted as you go through this... There are quite a few out here with a similar problem that are routing for you..!! Susan, be encouraged here that You may be the catalyst that will finally get them (GM) to do something about this problem and pave the way for others....

Lots of Luck......
    Frank ;)