Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier Repairs

Comments

• shadavshadav Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2004 Buick new and paid the horrible price for it that everyone else did. Being a single mom, I wanted something reliable. My uncle was a GM dealer for 50 years until his death. He insisted that all of the ladies in his family drive Buick's because they WERE so reliable. Not only is this the first Buick I have paid full price for, it has been the worst one I have ever owned. GM really messed themselves up with this and have lost a lot of long time customers for failure to resolve all of the issues that exist with this vehicle. When it hit 60,000 miles everything started going wrong with it. It is currently in the shop and the repair man is having trouble identifying the problem. Every time I put it in the shop, they have to keep it for a month or more to try and fix the problem. I have had the following repairs done:
    Instrument cluster replaced
    Air Conditioner replaced twice
    Transfer Case
    Rear Differential
    Suspension Air Bags
    Radiator
    Alternator
    Wiper motor
    I am having the problem with the binding when I turn. I took it to the dealership and they told me that crow hopping was normal. Please . . . that is not normal. Now I have taken it somewhere else because the dealer obviously cannot fix this car. Every time they "fix" it, a whole new set of problems seem to develop. I asked them to put new brakes on my car and every time they gave me the little sheet back showing my brakes were fine (green check box) until I had to have the rotors replaced. It cost me an extra 300 bucks because they did not want to do their job.

At present, this trip to the shop is up to $2600.00 and they do not have it fixed yet. The sad part about it, when I put it on Craig's List to get rid of this money pit, I will be lucky to get $5000.00 for it. It has 107,000 and the transfer case and differential problems have happened within the last 10,000 miles. Then of course there is the ever present oil leak. Luckily, both of my boys have vehicles because I have been totally dependent on them to get me to work over the past two years. My car has been in the shop and parked in my garage for the majority of the past two years.

Having owned Buick's for the past 30 years, I will never purchase another one. My son has a 98 Ford Ranger that has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever seen. The great thing about it, it is super easy to fix. Takes a trip to Auto Zone and thirty minutes of your time. You can pretty much fix anything on it.

GM you should be ashamed of yourselves for charging such a huge price for a piece of crap. You should suck it up and refund the owner's of these vehicles part of the purchase price back for the countless hours they have spent trying to get these vehicles repaired. You continue to refuse to take responsibility for this mess. All of the ladies in my family know about all of the problems I have had. Since my uncle is now deceased, they are all turning to Ford, Toyota and Honda and other vehicle makers. I cannot wait to rid myself of this money pit. I traded in a Buick Rendezvous that had 218,000. I had minimal problems with that vehicle. I wish every day that I had my Rendezvous back.
  • billy2423billy2423 Member Posts: 2
    I am having a lot of this type of problems also. Did gmcustsvc help with this???
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Billy2423,

We look at every issue on a case by case basis. If you are having concerns please emails us at socialmedia@gm.com. Please provide me your name, address, phone number, vehicle identification number, current mileage and what issue your experiencing.

Thank you kindly,

Jessica L.
    GM Customer Care
  • mom0423mom0423 Member Posts: 15
    No offense, but NO ONE from GM gives a hoot about what we're going through with the Buick Rainier. Once they hear that you are out of warranty (and seriously who has one that isn't at this point???) they graciously say they are sorry about your luck and wish you well with your predicament. I just got mine back from the shop, it was there from December until May. There are STILL problems which we didn't repair because we'd hit our wall of expenditures on this vehicle. You should be ASHAMED of the fact you haven't RESOLVED this with customers and haven't declared the Lemon Law.
    Needless to say. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER BUY ANOTHER GM PRODUCT. EVER.
  • angryinct1angryinct1 Member Posts: 25
    Maybe we should all contact the NTSBA and request a recall on this vehicle
    Sorry nhtsa.
    With all these problems I'm surprised that no one has contacted the NHTSA.
  • billy2423billy2423 Member Posts: 2
    found out that U must have the proper size TIRES on this car or u will have clanking, hard turning with clanking, and more. Found this out as I bought a size down cause they where cheaper and started to have problems. Went back to 245-65-R17 and my problems went away. I can even pull my camper better now also. Hard to believe but so true. Hope this helps with some who have not damaged their cars as yet.
    I did all that and had tccm put in and still the hard clunking noise even while going straight not just on turns.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Also, low tire presssure will cause this.
    Already had it checked and it was the ring and pinion gears went bad with 83,000 miles on it, bought it with 72,347 miles on it.
    Took it to the dealer and they put transfer case fluid in it and told me to drive 100 miles left and right until plates seperate when that didn't work they changed the tccm which had already destroyed the front diff cause they didn't know what he problem was in the first place.
    Hello,

I see that you've been to the dealership for a past repair. I hope they were able to correct the problems you were having with your vehicle. If there's anything we can look into for you please don't hesitate to let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    No help yet, can't get car to dealership because the front diff is so busted up from them not fixing it the first time I brought it in.
    Had problems with this vehicle ever since it was purchased and was always told nothing is wrong with it and now tht the warranty is up no one wants to help, so sad that after financing this vehicle for $19,000 and a year later I would have this much trouble with it.
    Next time I will know better, thanks for your response. To my txt.
    Hi angryinct1,

I understand your disappointment with your vehicle and apologize that you've had problems with it for a while now. If there is anything I can do to help with or if you decide to take your vehicle into the dealership, please feel free to reach out to me.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • pensketech1pensketech1 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my 05 Rainier in November of 2012, with 60000 Miles on it. Since then I have had to replace the engine (at 68000 Miles and a cost of $4k to do myself), I am having issues while turning at low speeds, The heater control module went out ($100 repair) and now, the security light comes on at random and I can't even start the vehicle.
    When my engine blew, I contacted the GM dealership where I purchased it (Owned by my uncle), and he put me in contact with their factory rep. He said "sorry about your luck". I contacted my own factory rep (Yes I have one) and was told the same thing. REALLY????? Never mind that this vehicle has such low mileage and the engine is BLOWN. I work for one of GM's largest customers and suppliers. You can't do anything for me?? Sorry about my luck??
    It's a good thing I am a mechanic and can make these repairs myself.
  • mstowersmstowers Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2005 Buick Rainier with 93,000 miles that has all kinds of problems! My AWD doesn't work? The rear slides when it's wet and I'm turning and, I absolutely cannot drive it when there's snow on the ground. Last winter it was snowing and I was making a left turn very slowly. The car just started sliding and I landed in a ditch. A car coming in the opposite direction came inches from hitting me! Thank goodness I didn't get hit, hurt another person or myself and my car didn't get damaged! Also, when I'm backing up. The rear of the car makes this grinding noise? Maybe it's also the AWD? I'm not sure?I've had my car checked out by 4 different mechanics and they all say they can't find anything wrong? I take that back. One said my wheels just aren't turning at the same time, but that's normal and there's nothing to worry about but...there is something wrong with it. A major problem when myself and others can be killed, I can't drive it in the snow or rainy weather and...it's my only car! My gas gauge and speedometer also doesn't work! I've had 2 tickets due to the speedometer. I gauge my speed by other cars. I write down my mileage and how many gallons I put in my car, but I've still ran out of gas several times. How inconvenient, embarrassing and risky getting in strangers cars to go get gas! Here's the break down of the problems with my piece of junk Rainier.

- AWD doesn't work.
    - Rear grinding noise when turning to back-up.
    - Gas gauge doesn't work.
    - Speedometer doesn't work.

Please help me and reply back on what I need to do to repair these problems. Thank you in advance for you help.
    Your issue with turning at low speed is the transfer case control module, I had the same issue and after they put transfer case fluid in and it didn't work they changed the TCCM and it worked fine but it was to late for my front differential it destroyed it, so make sure they change your TCCM.
    Check WWW.GMBUICK.COM for recalls on your year and make and model of your car I think I saw on GOOGLE that there is a recall on the speed odometer and the gas gauge.
    Pensketech1, Thank you so much for your reply and advice. As you can tell. I don't know much about car repairs, so is the Transfer Case Control Module expensive and/or complicated to repair? Do you know where the TCCM is located on the car? Do you have any advice regarding my other car problems listed? I'm so sorry it was to late to save your front Differential : (
    Angryinct1, thank you for your response and advice. I am searching for recalls now. So far I have found a couple and hopefully will find more. I will list the recalls that I find in hopes of helping other people as well. Thank you again.
    All recalls/problems listed for 2005 Buick Rainiers. The list also includes Trailblazers and Envoy.
    I believe 2004 - 2006 is the same model.

Recall list - Must See
    http://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/search/?year=106&make=35&model=828

Driver side door module causes fire:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/16/gm-recalls-over-230-000-more-trailblazer-fami- ly-suvs-over-door-e/

Faulty Gas gauge - Fuel Sensor Recall
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/06/fed-closes-investigation-into-gm-suv-fuel-sen- sors/

Windshield Recall:

Vehicle Year Make Model
    2005 BUICK RAINIER
    2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
    2005 GMC ENVOY
    2005 ISUZU ASCENDER

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action;jsessionid=k7pzS32YxkNf- MD45yQF3PlgvnyhyDlcm3wg8cvLGjMv73hv2BNmQ!1507103805

Fuel Gauge Recall - Replace Fuel Level Sensor
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action

Search for recalls and/or file a complaint:
    http://www.safercar.gov/

I will list more recalls as I find them. I know this helps me and I hope my research helps you too. Good luck.
    The cost of the control module is between $120 and 180 and it is located on the transfer case which should be under the drivers side and it should only take 20 minutes to replace and install . Hope this helps you.
    Thanks
    Yes, it does help a lot and I sure do appreciate it. As you may have seen? I found and posted several recalls...a couple of the recalls are free and others you have to pay 50%. I'm not sure if some or all is still active recalls, but I'm going to call a dealership soon and find out? I will post my finding as well. Do or did you own a Buick Rainier? If so, what problems are you having or had? Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated : )
    I sent them a complaint with all my problems last night. Hope they can help?We'll see what happens? I'll post their response when/if I hear back?
    I still have the 2006 buick rainier and I still have problems with the front differential.
    Did u get a response yet ant If so was it what u wanted to hear?.
    I think this vehicle should of been recalled long ago.
    I agree. These should have been recalled or there should be a class action suit in the works.
    Among all of the other issues I have had with my Rainier, my front differential just blew. Luckily, I can replace it myself. I just got a used low mileage one for $400.
    In the 11 months I have owned this vehicle, I have invested $5000 in repairs. Added withe 10k I paid for it, this has cost me over $1 per mile to own.
    What a piece of junk.
    Sorry to hear about ur front differential, I have had this problem now for 4 months and no resolve from gm., I paid $19000 for this vehicle a year ago and am so sorry sorry I bought it I had a Chevy impala 2005 and gave it up cause I had 4 granddaughters so needed bigger vehicle. So upset with myself for getting the rainier.
    Where did u get a used one (1) for $400?.
    I did get a response and no, it wasn't all of what I wanted to hear. The only recall is a safety issue for a free windshield. It was not installed/adhered correctly. I listed the response below.

I don't understand? Everybody on here is having the same problems, which all should be recalled due to the number of owners with the same issues! Maybe we all should email/call the NHTSA at the same time with all of our same problems and then maybe they'll do something about it? We just need a way to get the word out there to email/call them. These repairs is costing us WAY to MUCH and we should not be having all these problems or...pay for them!

Here's the recall:
    CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 212, 'WINDSHIELD MOUNTING.' THE WINDSHIELD URETHANE BEAD MAY NOT HAVE ADHERED TO THE BODY IN CERTAIN AREAS DURING THE CURE PROCESS.
    CONSEQUENCE:
    IF A CRASH OCCURS, THE WINDSHIELD MAY NOT BE RETAINED, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY TO A VEHICLE OCCUPANT.
    REMEDY:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 10, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.
    Same response I got from them and it is sad that they know about these problems and don't care, I will contact them tomorrow , the NHTSA.
  • ladygapeachladygapeach Member Posts: 2
    I am so very disheartened by all the problems with the Buick Rainier. I took mine to the dealer on June 14 when I started having problems turning at low speeds and backing up. My 2006 Rainier has only a little over 56,000 miles and have had no problems until then. I did experience the bumping noise periodically which I understand now is a precursor to the transfer case going out. I have even written to GM about the problem to see if there was any way they could provide assistance with the problem as I am only able to pay $300-$500 each month on the $2400 cost of repairs. They responded stating it was outside of their means to do anything. The dealer has been patient and working with me and I have no ill feelings toward them but it seems this is a constant problem that GM isn't willing to acknowledge as a persistent problem with these vehicles. I purchased this vehicle originally because I had a Trailblazer LTZ but like how the Rainer was a better kind of version or more luxury version. I am begging to wish I had kept my Trailblazer of almost 200k miles to my Rainier of only 56k miles. I am currently without a vehicle and having to humble myself to catching rides to work with co-workers, taking taxi or even at times walking to work and to the store. I am so frustrated! The resources I thought I would have to help with the cost of the repairs I do not have. On top of that I am fighting with identy theft from when someone stole my wallet two months priorbto my transfer case going out.
    Sorry lady, we are all having this problem and are unhappy with GM and BUICK thought they would honor their product but found out they made this lemon knowing it was a piece of garbage and still delivered it to the same people who bailed them out. We are all contacting the NHTSA on Monday I suggest you do the same.
  • ladygapeachladygapeach Member Posts: 2
    I filed my complaint with the NHTSA today. I hope we will at least be able to get enough complaints to where this will be a recall.
    We hope this sends a message to GM to not neglect their customers who didn't neglect them when they needed help, it's a shame that it had to come to this cause they knew.
  • scooby78scooby78 Member Posts: 2
    I will contact NHTSA tomorrow as I just read this. I am so upset that I bought this car after reading all these things. I Googled binding as I am having issues when backing up, turning, and now even going forward. My mechanic serviced the rear differential and transfer case(?), and it has gotten a little better, but still not good. I also have a leak in my air ride suspension, and had to replace the battery also. I just got it in August, and now $1,000.00 and two months later, I am just reading this forum. I do not know what the NHTSA is, but I will find out and report the problems I am having with this car to them. Thank you everyone who posts here for the alert.
    @ scooby78: NHTSA is the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.
    As far as the binding when turning at low speeds is concerned, have your front differential inspected. I was experiencing the same problem just before mine went out.
    I got a used fully inspected diff from my local rebuilder. http://www.partsbyweller.com/ they have anything you need used or rebuilt and they will ship to your door.
    As I said, mine was used and fully inspected with new seals and a 90 day warranty.
    I have dealt with them for over 20 years and trust them completely.
  • bob192bob192 Member Posts: 19
    we had this problem with our 2004. they fixed it by replacing the "transfer case actuator" around 500$ at that time. later the speedometer quit 700$ luckily I had opted for an aftermarket warranty so it cost me 100$ copay per incident. Later the car was hit while parked and totaled by the insurance company. Best thing that could have happened. What a lemon! Cured me of Buick and GM unless they make radical change to the way they warrant their products. Both of these happened around 50000 miles and were not covered by any kind of recall. I always buy late model used and I wouldn't do so again without a warranty of some kind. NHTSA is a place to vent but they're only concerned about safety issues.
    How much did it cost used?
    Used differential was $350 plus a $50 core.
  • scooby78scooby78 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much, I will talk to my mechanic about it. Also, thank you for the NHTSA info.
    Thank you
    Do u know if the 04 front diff fits the 06 ?.
    Yes it does