Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type Check Engine Light

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited March 2014 in Jaguar
Post your "engine light" problems here and how you solved them, or ask questions about what to do.

Comments

• stype1stype1 Member Posts: 1
    My light is on and my dealer told me that he "think" it could be gunk in the engine causing it.

I can't understand that because I change the oil every 3K.

The car only has 45K on it.

Any thoughts? I heard that Lexus is having problems because the oil is turning to a gel.

stype1
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well sludge should be readily diagnosable by just popping a valve cover off. The dealer should get on this right away.
  • clehbergerclehberger Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 S-Type just had an engine light at 76,000 and it was leaky gaskets for the (plastic) intake manifold. Replaced the gaskets and it's fine.
  • yog1yog1 Member Posts: 2
    There is a vacumm elbow under intake that will colasp and have to be changed by taking off intake. Not as bad as it seems. but first listen to engine at idle for a hiss
  • johndahliajohndahlia Member Posts: 7
    My 2000 just went into "Fail Safe Mode". Luckly my wife was not far from the house. She limped it home. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? The nearest dealer is 84 miles away.
    This could be triggered by any number of problems. There's no one cause for "limp mode" Did the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) light go on, on the dash? You may need to flatbed it to the dealer.
    I don't know, I'm stationed overseas and she said there was a engine symbol that was yellow and then turned red. When that happened she said it said "Fail Safe Mode". Sorry I can't be more specific.
    Yeah that's probably it. I sure wouldn't drive it that way. The engine can shut down for any number of reasons....might be serious or it just might something like low on oil in engine or transmission....or a bad sensor giving a false alarm. It's hard to say...but, obviously, the system has shut down to protect itself....that's why they install such a thing rather than just a warning light....they want you do stop driving it...
  • tjp720tjp720 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I have a 96 XJS convertible which I am sorry to say I have to sell. The car as approx. 100,000 miles and runs/drives very good. However the "check engine" light stays on and has stayed on for quite sometime. Now I have had the car checked and without spending mega bucks the local shops and the dealer have told me they cannot find an engine problem, must be an electrical problem.

Can anyone help me on how to get this stupid light to stay off?
    Thanks
  • modes1modes1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 s-type has a hissing sound still coming from around the intake manifold area. I replace the vacumm hose connectors that were cracked, replaced the top 6 ruber caskets but still the hissing persist and at ideling it dies. Is there one who may have an idea what could be the cause of this? or a site to display the diagram of the intake system?
  • dryden57dryden57 Member Posts: 8
    I have the exact same problem with the hissing and idiling eratic then dying if you found an answer or anyone knows I would appreciate some help. I have the plenum off I guess I'm going to take the fuel intake off and see whats under there.
  • jagtech1jagtech1 Member Posts: 3
    your vehicle must be a 3.0 litre and the hissing is not coming from your intake gaskets but coming from a hose that is underneath your fuel rail.

the rubber hose is connected to your oil seperator. it not that easy of a job to do so i would take it to your nearest jaguar dealership.

good day to you :mad:
    Thanks for the info but i took it all apart and the hose was collapsed, so I replace it and now it runs great. I actually thought it was easy and would not recommend takin it to the dealership so they can charge you 400 in labor for a dollar hose. I am used to working on the xjs and xke
  • toy4xttoy4xt Member Posts: 4
    My engine went into Failsafe Engine Mode with an amber light and after 2 miles the red light came on and the car would barely move. I was able to pull it over to the shoulder, screamed, then waited about 3 minutes and the car drove normally as I took it into the shop. They said it was the accelerator pedal sensor ($400.00). this is one month after I've gotten a new engine, and two weeks after that had my transmission rebuilt...that's why I screamed!!!
  • fflowersfflowers Member Posts: 3
    My light has always been on and they say it's from the gas tank not being shut right, or it's dirt in the cap...It's been fixed over 11 times and it's now been on for over 3 weeks...gong strong!!! LEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fflowersfflowers Member Posts: 3
    I purchased 2005 s type..From DAY ONE it's been nothing short of a nightmare..You name it..from the gas tank not shutting, the glove box broken, the fuel tank leaks, the automatic brake locks up and shuts off the engine while driving on the hwy in traffic!!! The engine light has been on over 15 times or more and it's now been on over 3 weeks!!! LEMON LEMON LEMON!!!!! Jaguar has been my biggest nightmare ever..GAUDIN JAGUAR IN LAS VEGAS NV sells LEMONS!!! Oh let's not forget the BRAKES that has to be changed every 6-10 months!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 2000jagman2000jagman Member Posts: 2
    where exactly is that hose located, someone said it was under the fuel rail and it was connected the oil seperator . i have the same issue with the hissing noise. and im trying to change it myself if i can find the hose
    take the plenum off then the fuel rail, there will be the black rubber connector hose that has collapsed. if you look by the mass air flow sensor there are 3 hose inlets the one facing back towards the engine is connected to ur problem, so either clog that hole to see if the hissing stops or run your hand back that plastic hose until it connects tl a metal u shaped hose in the back the rubber hose that failed is connected to the metal u shaped one
  • 2000jagman2000jagman Member Posts: 2
    is the plenum and the fuel rail under the hood or under the car . what is the plenum ? would i have to change the hose from under the car when i find it ?
  • ladykarengladykareng Member Posts: 1
    On a Jaguar 2000 S type 4.0, the Fail Safe Engine light has started to come on whenever I turn on the air conditioning. If I do not have on the air, the light does not come on at all. When the light is on it drives very slowly, but then picks back up after about 3 hrs after I have turned off the air.

Can anyone give me give me an idea what to do....
    So you aren't getting a high temperature signal or an overheat warning on your message board?

I think you need to have the car scanned for trouble codes first off and let us know what codes are stored. Autozone can do this for free in most cases.
  • rgroskirgroski Member Posts: 6
    my check engine (yellow) light came on after my car sat in a torrential downpour saturday night. The car ran ok to about 40 mph and then it started hesitating/lightly bucking on my 55 mile trip home.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
  • angiejangiej Member Posts: 1
    I have three questions...LOL 1)Where in the world is the fuel filter? 2) Where is the transmission dipstick? 3)Have a problem starting the car after 20-30 minutes. Like it isn't getting fuel, then when it does start smells like it is nearly flooded.

Thanks,
    Angie
    Question number 1, The fuel filter is in the gas tank. 2) The transmission is sealed, there is no dipstick if you have to have this looked at the Jaguar dealer will have to do it. 3) You car is fuel injected, have the dealer check your ignition coils. Hope this helps. :)
  • rpaulrpaul Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 s-type the check engine light came on,went to auto zone the read out was idle control module ,they reset it was good for 2days,but came back on.Now when you put on the gas heavy the safe mode blinks but doesn,t effect the car.this car doesn,t have a idel speed control module does it.Any help.
  • rpaulrpaul Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 s-type the check engine light came on,went to auto zone the read out was idle control module ,they reset it was good for 2days,but came back on.Now when you put on the gas heavy the safe mode blinks but doesn,t effect the car.this car doesn,t have a idle speed control module does it.Any help.
    To All:

Ignition coils were the problem. I replaced all six of the for $526. :shades:
    Did a trouble code tip you off on that?
    When I brought the car to Autozone the code was a bad piston which tipped the dealer's repair service to mention to me that it may be a bad coil. It turned out that 3 coils were bad so I replaces all 6.
    Yes people often think that the code tells you which part is defective but that is not true. It only shows you the circuit/system in distress. A mechanic's experience tells the rest of the story. Glad you solved it, hope it wasn't TOO painful. :sick:
  • markj13markj13 Member Posts: 6
    i have an s type 2002 2.5.the management light is on,i have scanned the car and its showing trouble code p1699,has anyone any idea wot this code is????cheers.
    Not showing a 2.5 engine in my resources.

P1699 = CAN ECM / A/CCM network malfunction

Causes:

CAN open circuit fault – A/CCM to ECM
    CAN short circuit fault
    A/CCM failure
    ECM failure

I have no idea what all that means at the moment.
    thanks for the help,no i dont have an idea what they mean either.have you any chance of finding out for me please??cheers
    I wouldn't even know where to look. My resources don't even show this code. I had to Google it. Some kind of data link problem between the ECM and some system I can't identify.

I'm in over my head here. :blush:
    this might be a long shot but the air con on the car doesnt work at all either so do you think the a/ccm stands for air con control module which isnt sending a signal to the ecu so its knocking the light on??cheers
    That sounds about right. The a/ccm stores a fault code I think. Maybe it is a dirty, or faulty pin connector at the a/ccm or the ECM plug in?
    yea sounds right that does,its just funny how the air con doesnt work and that code about the a/c comes up.any idea where the a/ccm is located on the car??cheers
    No, ALLDATA doesn't tell us where it is, only that it costs $815. :sick:
  • rearwingrearwing Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone!

Just scanned my newly acquired 2003 S Type R and found the following:

P1647
    P1000 (Pending Code)
    MIL On
    Monitors:
    4 Incomplete
    Comp
    Catlyst
    Evap
    O2 Snsr
    4 Ready
    Misfire
    Fuel
    O2Htr
    EGR

I reset the MIL after noting these codes/messages, but the MIL came on again. I will be able to scan the OBD again this afternoon to see if I have any changes.

Just prior to purchasing the vehicle, my dealership took the car to the local Jag dealer and told me the MIL was a bad O2 Sensor. This would seem to line up with what I'm seeing on the scan. The dealer said they had changed the O2 sensor, but I have a funny feeling they did not.

Any help, especially on the P1647 code would be much appreciated!

Al.
    L : DTC P0051, P0052, P0151, P0152, P0153, P1647. BANK 2 HO2S.

L1 : CHECK THE CONSTANT CIRCUIT OF THE BANK 2 HO2S FOR OPEN CIRCUIT

1. Disconnect the bank 2 HO2S electrical connector PI12.
    2. Disconnect the PCM electrical connector, PI01.
    3. Measure the resistance between PI01, pin 108 (N) and PI12, pin 4 (N)

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes
    Goto L2

No

Repair the circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

L2 : CHECK THE CONSTANT CIRCUIT OF THE BANK 2 HO2S FOR SHORT TO GROUND

1. Measure the resistance between PI01, pin 108 (N) and GROUND.

Is the resistance less than 10,000 ohms?

Yes
    Repair the short circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

Goto L3

L3 : CHECK THE CONSTANT CIRCUIT OF THE BANK 2 HO2S FOR SHORT TO BATTERY

1. Connect the PCM electrical connector PI01.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    3. Measure the voltage between PI12, pin 4 (N) and GROUND.

Is the voltage greater than 5 volts?

Yes
    Repair the short circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

Goto L4

L4 : CHECK THE VARIABLE CIRCUIT OF THE BANK 2 HO2S FOR OPEN CIRCUIT

1. Disconnect the bank 1 HO2S electrical connector, PI12.
    2. Disconnect the PCM electrical connector, PI01.
    3. Measure the resistance between PI01, pin 107 (G) and PI12, pin 3 (G)

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes
    Goto L5

No

Repair the circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

L5 : CHECK THE VARIABLE CIRCUIT OF THE BANK 2 HO2S FOR SHORT TO GROUND

1. Measure the resistance between PI01, pin 107 (G) and GROUND.

Is the resistance less than 10,000 ohms?

Yes

No

Goto L6

L6 : CHECK THE VARIABLE CIRCUIT OF THE BANK 2 HO2S FOR SHORT TO BATTERY

1. Connect the PCM electrical connector PI01.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    3. Measure the voltage between PI12, pin 3 (G) and GROUND.

Is the voltage greater than 1 volt?

Yes

No

Install a new bank 2 HO2S. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation. If the DTC is repeated, INSTALL a new PCM.
  • aba040aba040 Member Posts: 1
    My vehicle has been in storage for 3 months. The battery was dead. I jumped the battery. Now the check engine light is on. What does this mean?

Problem with gaskets? Oil gunk up in the engine?

There was no problem before the vehicle was placed in storage.

Can I reset the indicator/circuit? A problem does exist?

I welcome suggestions.
    You'd need to read the code. Or you might disconnect the battery again, then re-connect after waiting a while, then drive the car around and see if the light goes out.

But reading the code will give you direction for your diagnosis. Might be something minor like a stuck valve in the evaporative emissions system, a loose gas cap, things like that.
  • wiegelstypewiegelstype Member Posts: 2
    I have a check engine light and scan the above 2 codes. These are bank 1 and bank 2 Catalyst below threshold. I had the dreaded and apparently common vacuum leak under the intake manifold. fixed last week. I got these errors driving home the following night. I don't believe they are related, but I'm not sure. The car has about 90K on it, and I believed this could be the result of one or more failed O2 sensors. I reasoned they would probably need to be replaced soon anyway, so replaced all 4 of them. All were pretty sooty. It is obviously running very rich. I reset the light after replacement, and thought it was running better until tonite the check engine light is back. Any ideas?
  • wiegelstypewiegelstype Member Posts: 2
    have a check engine light and scan the above 2 codes. These are bank 1 and bank 2 Catalyst below threshold. I had the dreaded and apparently common vacuum leak under the intake manifold. fixed last week. I got these errors driving home the following night. I don't believe they are related, but I'm not sure. The car has about 90K on it, and I believed this could be the result of one or more failed O2 sensors. I reasoned they would probably need to be replaced soon anyway, so replaced all 4 of them. All were pretty sooty. It is obviously running very rich. I reset the light after replacement, and thought it was running better until tonite the check engine light is back. Any ideas?
  • snjenkinsnjenkin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 S-Type. The Odb 11 gave the check engine code P1584. The code is TCU Detected IPE Circuit Malfunction. What does not mean? How extensive is the repair? Help!!!
  • bugdocbugdoc Member Posts: 1
    So did you find out how to "cure" this problem? I have the P0420 code on an '02 Jaguar S-type 3.0L and would like to make it iright.

Did the car have any other symptoms as it ran?

Thanks.
    It was the gas pedal sensor ($800 at the dealer).
  • kpringkpring Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing going on with my 2002 4.0. Did you figure out what to do on yours.
    Kevin
    Yes Gas pedal sensor...$800 at dealer
  • jagneedshelpjagneedshelp Member Posts: 2
    My s-type check engine light is on can I manually recieve trouble code? My '80s series camero I could close two terminals on the computer input with a wire to get codes to flash can you do this with the jag?