Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jaguar X-Type: What's the Best Gasoline to Use?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited April 2014 in Jaguar
87 octane? Premium? What works best for this Jaguar?

Comments

• Options
    oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    had an 03 2.5 model and now have an 06 3.0. I'd use premium 93 octane only in them. Lower octance gas causes them to run a bit hot, cuts fuel economy, and reduces performance.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • Options
    aixaix Member Posts: 30
    For US specs cars I believe the recommendation is minimum of 91 octane (premium).
  • Options
    has anyone else experimented with using 89 or 87?
  • Options
    eurotrash1168eurotrash1168 Member Posts: 5
    Yes. I have an 02' 2.5 X-Type, with 47,000 miles. 80% of the time, I use 87 or 89 octane rated gasoline. It runs the same temp, and I get 30 mpg highway on trip, 24-26 mpg combined ( while not in sport mode ).

I have noticed no difference in mileage or temp of engine. The rather crude OEM guages would make that a rather difficult task at best anyway.

I do add a quality fuel inj. cleaner to tank every 10,000 miles, and regular oil changes at 3-4,000 miles.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    hyundai_slsmnhyundai_slsmn Member Posts: 57
    I do add a quality fuel inj. cleaner to tank every 10,000 miles, and regular oil changes at 3-4,000 miles.

with a 7qt oil pan that is a complete waste of money and oil. I have gone every 10k between oil and filter with Mobil1 and the engine has 95k and still gets 32 hiwy mpg @60mph and usually a 28 combined overall

as far as the gas goes I would stick with atleast 91 octane. these engines have a type of vvt system that will actually be deactivated if the ecu senses too low an octane of fuel. if the butterflies in the intake do not open and close often enough they will stick and become useless and the engine will run like crap
  • Options
    dfciiidfciii Member Posts: 12
    I just bought my 2004 Xtype 3.0 and the owners manual for US cars calls for 91 octane or higher. Anything less will not only void any warranty you may have, but it will start causing engine troubles. It might cost a little extra, but if you never have to see the repair bill on a jag, then it is worth it. They are a bit pricey. Just look at the $400 "kitty cat" on the hood, and you will see what i mean.
  • Options
    The car's computer can adjust the engine time to accept a lower octane fuel. That's what the knock sensor is for. They can't void your warranty for that. If they claimed the gas caused the engine damage, they'd have to explain why the computer failed to protect the engine as it should have. Further, they'd have to prove the engine damage was the direct result of using a couple points lower octane. Lotsa luck proving that. It's not like you're trying to put diesel fuel in there or racing gas.

You can't harm your engine using pump gas, say 87 or 89. What changes is your performance. The car will be more sluggish and you'll probably press on the gas more, thus negating the money you saved using lower octane! :P
This discussion has been closed.