Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Engine Problems

13»

Comments

• rbright13rbright13 Member Posts: 10
    check the computer to make sure it is grounded the kick panel . There is a plastic bracket that holds it into place, behind the computer is a spring that keeps it grounded . sometimes it will not ground .I had some of the same problems I made my own ground wire from the computer to the body of the car and never had another problem since
  • rbright13rbright13 Member Posts: 10
    sounds like a crank position sensor
  • broken72182broken72182 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L v6 about 2 years ago and the car has had this ticking noise in the engine ever since I have bought it.

When I start my car the ticking starts high, then dyes down a little, then gets the loudest, then gets low and goes away after 3 minutes of starting. When my car makes the ticking noise I have noticed my rpm gauge jump between 1000 to 2000 and the loudest ticking makes the rpm go higher... Dont no if this has anything to do with the ticking but when I turn my car off i hear this noise that sounds like dropping drops of water on a hot surface. I looked up under my car and noticed water dripping from ( Im guessing its called the resonator) If I even spelled that right; anyways its the part that connects the muffler. Also noticed I have a very light cloud of white smoke but its rather unoticable unless you look at the tail pipe.

Please help me! Im a rather clueless female and I no nothing about vehicles.. So if you respond can you please explain in detail what I need to do... Thanks
  • shaggysissyshaggysissy Member Posts: 2
    motor knocks high oil pressure shuts off 1990 4 cyl mustang auto please help
  • walkercaleenawalkercaleena Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Mustang V6 and the engine started acting up. I was driving down the road and I hear like a snapping sound similar to what is sounds like if you run over some little twigs in the road, then I noticed my car was shaking and did it worse when I was stopped. Kinda like when your almost outta gas and your car start shaking and stalls....thats what mine does but it doesn't stall it acts like it almost does. The check engine light is not on and i replaced the spark plugs. what could be the problem???
  • gotaloveyercargotaloveyercar Member Posts: 2
    It is possible that a wheel is out of balance, it is also possible that you need an allignment.
  • gotaloveyercargotaloveyercar Member Posts: 2
    If you're burning coolant there should also be smoke in your exhaust. White smoke I think.
  • hhds113hhds113 Member Posts: 2
    Warning : 1999-2004 4.6 liter engines have been known to have the spark pug blow out of the cylinder head . Its happened to me and alot of other people . Ford didn't put enough treads in the cylinder which is aluminum and they will blow out. Now its going to cost me about 2,000.00 - 3,000.00 dollars to have the engine tore down and replace the heads or have inserts put in . Not a happy camper when I only have 30,000 miles on my 1999 mustang GT Convert. show car. ** Buyer Beware**
  • papasam1papasam1 Member Posts: 84
    There are companies that will come out and it without a taking the engine down. lady that comes into the hobbyshop had hers done in about two hours.
  • thechiefsthechiefs Member Posts: 9
    Here a youtube video of a woman having a difficult time getting her Mustang started. The first crank lasted rougly 11.5 seconds. The second crank went 13.5 seconds. The third at 21 seconds and the forth crank ran for a total of 23.5 seconds. Here's a link of the video below.

Here's link to the clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0i3pwJRDYI

Is it possible that if someone crank the car (or any car in general) that long that could it lead to the car/engine catching on fire as someone mentioned as an reply to this topic?

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/821649-woman-having-hard-time-starting-he- r-mustang.html. Post number 16.
    Without knowing the history of the car its hard to tell just what is wrong but heres are a few things that could cause this. The computer gone bad, The EGR value gone, the run fuse blown, coil bad, The ECM modular bad, timing belt broke/jump timing, cats gone bad and clogged
    Could very well be a broken timing belt/may have jumped time. how many miles does the car have. A timing belt could be changed about every 80K miles and change will last alot longer. Have your timing checked.
    Need to know more about the problem
    You are aware that in these year starters that there are two types, One for the auto tranny short nose and the long nose for the manual tranny. Is the spacer plate in between the motor the and tranny.
    To change the head gasket is the best way to go, but both gaskets not just one. the other one is the same age as the blown one. need to know what part of the country you are in ( not your address) just the part of the country.
  • hhds113hhds113 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    JUST HAD MY 4.6 MUSTANG HEADS REDONE WITH INSERTS IN ALL THE SPARK PLUG HOLES PUT A NEW VALVE IN THE CYLINDER THAT HAD THE BLOW OUT -NEW LIFTERS AND ALL THE REST AND IM STILL GETTING A TAPPING NOISE FROM THAT CYLINDER ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
  • lasamitchelllasamitchell Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I am having issues with my 2000 Mustang. It will start and idle just fine. Will also run fine when you rev it up but if i try to slowly press the gas, in gear and nuetral it will act as if it is going to stall. Any ideas on where I should start??
  • trench12trench12 Member Posts: 5
    2011 V6 coupe,6sp manual, 3.31 gear. 3500 mi. on car, 1000 miles on replaced engine. I am somewhat disappointed in the mileage on this car. I have the perfect test track at my disposal, I-80 in eastern Iowa. Cruise on, apx. 60 mph I agree the car will achieve the claimed 30 mpg. Shortly after hitting the secondary roads and driving as conservatively as possible I watch the mpg's take a drastic plunge down to apx, 19 (as rated). There is no in between. Any stop-go, shifting or anything but 6th gear uninterrupted cruising results in terrible results. Is this the norm? It would be impossible to drive anymore conservatively than I do. Thanx for any input. :confuse:
  • 94mustangbtt94mustangbtt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 mustang with a 3.8. It has been knocking and bucking. Changed the plugs and replaced wires. Checked Ignition control module and changed out the coil pack. When I get it running it smells like pure gas is coming out of the exhaust and really thick blue smoke. The oil on the dip stick smells like gas. Any suggestions?
    Sounds like It may have jumped time and fouled number three plug, how many miles on it over 100,000 miles check the timing.
  • paulynatorpaulynator Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Girlfriend's 98 Mustang has cooling system gremlin. Only on the way home from work after freeway driving she stops at a couple of traffic lights, the temp creeps up to 3/4, her a/c starts blowing warm, and she says the car "surges" once. This has happened multiple times.

I've flushed the cooling system. Radiator fan is running. Replaced thermostat. Could the belt be slipping without squealing and the charging system light coming on? (Her 'stang has a battery meter; hopefully an idiot light, too.) Thanks for any ideas as to what's causing this.
    you amybe having the first signs of a head gasket problem, you air conditioner has sensers that will shut it off but I dont know if that would cause your problem of over heating. With the engine cold open the radiator and watch to see if there are alot of boubles that you should not see normally,if there is alot it could be exhaust blowing into your radiatorwhich means a blow head head gasket.
  • ralivaraliva Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford mustang, 3.8... Ever since i bought it a year ago, it has this proplem of vibrating. Im not sure if its from a miss fire or timing isnt right. I put new motor mount nd change one of the exhaust manifold that was licking and it help a little, but it still vibrating. Also it eats up an excissive amount of fuel. The engin light is on, but when scan it only show one fulty code, witch is the secondary air flow not wright....
    please can you help me solve the proplem let me know..... thx
    run a check on your coil packs amd mass air flow sensor
  • mustang_gal3mustang_gal3 Member Posts: 1
    Had my 2005 V6 Mustang heads redone with inserts. Now cylinder 4 in missing on cold start. Anyone have any ideas on why that would be happening? Its been in the shop for months and they cannot figure it out.