Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Electrical/Lighting Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Discuss Impreza electrial & lighting issues here.

Comments

• rhadleyrhadley Member Posts: 1
    We pick up the car from dealer after a routine service and upon entering our garage and stopping the car the parking lights did not go off in spite turing off and on the headlight switch on the turn indicator.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    Check the top of the steering column -- there's a parking light switch there that's frequently accidentally turned on at car washes, etc.

Bet that's the answer. It's a minor thing, but I can't believe Subaru hasn't reengineered the switch after all these years.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    I'm looking at a used Impreza (99) and there was a small pushbutton switch hanging from under the left side of the dash. I know the seller personally and they are not the type to do any mods. Is this some sort of reset button?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    This might be the alarm reset button, though usually that button is attached to the left side under the dash. If so, it would typically be used only in the event of a dead, disconnected, or replaced battery.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • damientomo1damientomo1 Member Posts: 1
    hi, does anyone know how i change the parking light bulb on MY99 rb5 impreza? i cant seem to get to the bulb holder from the engine compartment. cheers.
  • enpro17enpro17 Member Posts: 1
    My Daughters 93 impreza lost its rear running lights., Good fuse, front ones work and both rear bulbs are good. Relay or switch issue???
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Did you replace the fuse? Some burned fuses don't look burned.
  • dl1934dl1934 Member Posts: 3
    The headlights on my new Impreza 2.5i are dim in comparison to my old Acura Integra. Subaru dealer says they are fine. Consumer Reports says they are poor. What can I do to get better headlights?
  • moraleamoralea Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am not a car savvy person and I took my car into a garage today and after looking at my problem, they suggested I google to find an answer. The problem: A couple of weeks ago my radio started coming on only sporadically, the dash part would (and still does) light up, I can change stations, it looks like it is on but there is no sound. However most of the time it worked just fine and this problem would only happen every few days. Now it has stopped working at all while I am driving but if I stop the car and have the electricals running off the battery, it works great. Which is not much comfort on a long trip. Any ideas that I can suggest to an auto repair to get it fixed?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    On your Impreza, is the power switch in the volume control knob? If so, it might be that control that's the problem. I have a 626 that has a similar problem, and it seems to be related to the power/volume knob. If I jiggle it, turn power on/off a few times, I can make it work and can hear the radio. Ift that's it, it's possible it's dirty and maybe spray cleaner (made for such purposes) could fix it. I haven't tried that yet, since my son drives it and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it.
  • sdb172sdb172 Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas on this one I have 99 impreza and the parking lights front and back stopped working. I checked and replaced all the bulbs the fuses seem ok. Is there a hidden fuse or relay I should check.
    I have been playing turning on and off the parking light switch sprayed the connections with contact clear. Help anything will be helpfull I dont want to replace the entire assembly.
    All the other lights work fine.
  • lorettsloretts Member Posts: 21
    My 1996 AWD 2.2 Impreza has been making some odd door lock, I think, noises. After getting in the car, starting the engine and driving off, nosies like the door locks are being flipped occur from the passenger side door, but the lock level is not moving. This will happen sporadically and if I flip the door lock on the drivers side back and forth the nosies go away. Also, when the car is parked and not running, I have heard this noise also, again coming from the passenger side. Do I have an electrical gremlin and do I need to worry?

Thanks
  • cdunbarcdunbar Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

First post on the forum. I have a 1999 Subura Impreza Outback. Recently, the hazard lights began to blink and the hazard light switch won't turn them off forcing me to disconnect the battery during long periods of not using the car. I had this problem many years ago. It began after some wonderful Walmart employees changed my oil (my first mistake). They couldn't fix it. It was also around the time I had a stereo installed so I took it back to car toys and the technician there fixed it. I don't remember what the original problem was but it was a simple fix (not a major electric issue). the technician said it was something the Walmart employees inadvertently did. I seem to remember he fiddled with something in the drivers seat (other than obviously the hazard switch).
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    I had that with my 98 Forester and a simple lock/unlock cycle with the keyless entry fob fixed it each time. It happened whenever I disconnected the battery.
  • gonzorfgonzorf Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Subaru Impreza AWD. I am having an issue with both my radio and my tail lights. They would work fine for a while then i would hit the breaks and my radio and my tail lights would shut off. My fuzes are all good. i have replaced them all. My turn signals work fine and all. I have tried disconnecting the battery a few times and all. I am at the end of my rope about this and cannot figure out anything. Any help would be awesome! I am also having problems with the brakes. I have no brakes. I recently replaced the master cylinder and i dont think i bled the brakes properly. Are there any other ways to bleed the brakes with just one person? I need alot of help! LoL!
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    then i would hit the breaks and my radio and my tail lights would shut off

That sounds like a bad common ground connection for brake lights, tail lights and radio. I don't know where that ground point is located; perhaps someone here does.
    You need a brake bleeder to do the job yourself.

I suggest bribing a friend with a few beers and pizza, and getting help.

My daughter started helping me when she was just 6 years old. If they can push the brake pedal, you can do it. Just make sure you top off frequently, else you end up with air in the brake lines (that's probably the case now).
  • vtx962vtx962 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Impreza door locks won't work with the remote or in the car the locks will open fine. In addition the light for the key stays on all the time.

Thanks
    Must be a short somewhere.

First try disconnecting the battery, see if that resets it.

Maybe then search for "single point ground", a fix for electrical issues like yours.
  • vtx962vtx962 Member Posts: 2
    I disconnected the battery and i still have the problem i will try to check for ground with my meter tomorrow.

Thanks
  • makkybarrmakkybarr Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, its makky here from MS, my brother bought a new GMC pickup and it’s my first time to have a car. But I bang it last night for I was drunk. So can anyone tell me where I can acquire for replacement items that in the latest turn of the month included a new auto lights assembly and a pair of exterior rearview car mirror assembly? I will be happy to hear from you. Thanks and God Bless! :sick:
  • jkelly3jkelly3 Member Posts: 2
    I have this problem too where my clock and tail lights aren't working and my radio is flashing on and off.
    What was the solution?
  • jkelly3jkelly3 Member Posts: 2
    I too have this issue. What was your solution?
  • kaiekaie Member Posts: 3
    I am about to buy a 2007 Subaru Impreza. It's a hatchback and standard. It's a reconditioned car with a mileage of 25000. Reading these reviews, I have realised that people have had many problems with subarus even new ones. I was thinking that i would a few years before having any problems. Unlike you guys, I WOULD BE BUYING THIS CAR WITHOUT A LEASE. I do not have the option of taking it back. Additionally, it costs US 24000 here. I just like the look of the car but am not interested in the speed nor grip, etc. i don't plan to be driving fast and I live in a tropical country so no snow. i am a novice when it comes to cars so i am seeking some advice and you all know more about subarus than i do. Would you advise me to purchase it still or not?
    Absolutely, the head gasket and wheel bearing issues were resolved well before the 07 model year.

Take a long test drive, and turn the radio off. Do a figure-8 turn as tight as you can and listen to the driveline, make sure everything sounds smooth. Inspect the block for oil stains (signs of oil leaks), and if you want to go a step further, do a compression test on the cylinders.

It's under warranty so I think that's overkill, to be honest.

The good thing is that a Subaru that has a problem will make itself known, you'll either see it or hear it. If you're not mechanically inclined, take a buddy with you who is.

Good luck.
  • rybreadrybread Member Posts: 2
    only have hazard lights and door locks......why 1999 impreza rs
  • red81red81 Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sat idle for one day. When I went to drive it, the remote did not unlock the door. The security light on the dash was not lit. When I put the key in the ignition, the motor did not start, no noise, no lights on dash. When a meter was put on the battery, it registered 14.22. When the car battery was jumped by tow truck driver, car started reluctantly. Car towed to dealer. The next day the service department found the car had died again. Service department seems stumpted. Any ideas?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    edited February 2012
    14.22?! That's not good. A 12-volt battery, fully charged, should register 12.6 to 12.8 volts. If it was registering 14.22 while the vehicle was not running, then it is likely the unit is being severely over-charged. It should be at 14.22 (or close to that) while the car is running due to the incoming charge from the alternator. If the voltage regulator on the alternator is malfunctioning, it could go two or more volts higher than that while charging. This, in turn, can cause the water in the battery to boil off through overheating. It will still register voltage, but usable current could be very low due to reduced surface area within the battery.

Did the shop perform a load test on it? Did they check the charge voltage while the car was running?

Next question... did they try it with a different battery? :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250