Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Comments

• paul122paul122 Member Posts: 1
    any ideas on how to trace it down
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    P0138 is high voltage in oxygen sensor 2 located rear of catalytic convertor. Possible causes:
    1 Faulty oxygen sensor
    2 Short in sensor circuit
    3 High fuel pressure (not very likely but keep this in mind)
    Check O2 sensor and look for short in signal circuit.
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    kcram, thank you. I had the 04 cummins 3500 with no rpm above idle, I had some sickness, and am late answering you. My fan WAS turning. I switched the throttle position sensor (AFT??) with an identical truck, and now BOTH are fine. Thank you.
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    On a recent trip, I drove my 2004 Ram 3500 Diesel (Auto tranny, 95,000 miles) about 400 miles, no problem. I ate lunch and resumed my trip. 2 miles later, truck would not pull away from traffic light. Added 2 qts tranny fluid, which ran out below truck. Hauled truck home, replaced front tranny seal. At engine start, place in drive, after 3-5 seconds Truck has strong first or reverse, but what should be a shift to second is instead neutral. Kill and restart, and again I have a strong first or reverse for 50 ft, then neutral . Especially welcome comments from kcram and dustyk. bobwinner
  • tiger38tiger38 Member Posts: 6
    I HAVE A 1998 DODGE 2500 DIESEL . MY ABS LIGHT AND MY BRAKE LIGHTS IS STAYING ON.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS ? HOW DO YOU CHECK THE CODES ON MY TRUCK ? AND MY SPEEDOMETER IS ACTING UP TOO IT WON'T MOVE UNTIL YOU REACH ABOUT 30 MPH HEN IT SHOOTS UP REAL QUICK, ANY IDEAS ?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Depends on how long that seal had been leaking (or if that's not the only issue). You also want to look at the lines to the radiator/cooler - if those have failed, they can take the trans with it if not addressed in time.

With only first and reverse (and for just a short time each time you try to run), it sounds fried. When the fluid you added came straight through to the ground, that was likely a sign that you were dry and the major damage was done.

I have the same powertrain (Cummins and 47RE) in my 05 3500, and so far, my trans has been just fine [knocking on wood]

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    typo there... 48RE, of course.

• 800bomber800bomber Member Posts: 1
    how do i test the leak detection pump on a 02 ram with a 4.7 a/t 4wd , there are no evap leaks
  • henr001yhenr001y Member Posts: 1
    Year Make Model: 2000 DODGE RAM VAN Wagon B2500
    Engine: 5.2L V8 SFI OHV 16V

leaking AC gasket won't hold freon
    Some lights on dash remain on at all times
    Doesn't chime when headlights are left on while van isn't running

How do I change the gasket?
  • frukfruk Member Posts: 1
    I had a engine light come on about 2 years ago and it was a o2 sensor problem. The engine light has come on again, how do you check for a code without having to go to the dealer? I tried the ignition swith to on,off,on,off,on. to no avail. Pep boys?

Dodge Ram 1500 quad Cab
    2004 5.7 ltr hemi
  • htrevorj39htrevorj39 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 dodge extended cab with 160000 miles, this past week the ABS light and Brake light indicator lamps came on at startup as always, however the lights will not go off. Brakes and everything is working fine, I am sure it is a sensor, but the parts houses are telling me that the abs is a different system that the check engine light. They want to sell me an ABS computer to check the issue.. I find it hard to believe that all of this is not monitored through the same computer.... Is this true or not, and does anyone know what sensor is the likely culprit...The Speedo is working fine, so I know its not that one
  • ebroadyebroady Member Posts: 3
    Go to any auto parts store Advance, Auto Zone, Napa or Pep boys and they can check for the code.
  • aznchicmollyaznchicmolly Member Posts: 3
    Located to the right of the brake light is a TRIANGLE SHAPE LIGHT. What does it mean when the triangle light is on? Is it a service light, if not then what is it?
  • aznchicmollyaznchicmolly Member Posts: 3
  • wesbrillwesbrill Member Posts: 1
    The engine light came on,I took it to Advanced Auto parts,they told me the code was EGR fault.i know this is a dealer part.Can I put this on myself?May this code clear itself up?i put fuel injector cleaner in.
  • admireadmire Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone help me with what this is or how to fix it. I have tried things like the gas cap, but the code comes back after a few days.
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Same thing happened to me, not the gas cap, some sort of canister. Is covered under warrantee if you have one.

Ski in TX
    Egr position sensor performance.Since it's part of 5/50 government emission warranty you may be able to have the dealer do the repair. If not, it is located behind the alternator attached to the front of the right cylinder head:
    http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/JHoop/2008-05-21_154616_codes.pdf
    Corkscrew
    Thank you for your help
    Thank you I have ordered the EGR valve and will try that.
  • netmanxpsnetmanxps Member Posts: 1
    Got a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 and had massive sensor problems. Three hundred and plus dollars later I suddenly get a MIL warning. The Scanner pulls up a P0740 Code.
    Anyone got a solution to this problem? Never had a torque converter clutch circuit malfunction before...
  • boogs1boogs1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a dodge 2007 1500 ram 4.7 v8 all of a sudden if wont get out of 2nd gear. Took it to a zone it read out The trans input rpm does not match the out put rpm. What is this? My son put super chip on it for gas saver, but put it back to stock could this have anything to do with it? :sick:
  • rerobirerobi Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2004 RAM 2500 4X4. Auto Zone was kind enought to plug in and let me know why my Brake Light, ABS and Check Engine light was on. In addition, my AC button light will not illuminate, nor will my mirror defrosters. His little gadget told me I had a P0501 code and after he checked his system for a part, he indicated he didn't have the one called out for a vehicle Speed Sensor - and that I need to get it from the dealer. However, he did have the Transmission speed sensor for like $16, but not the "vehicle speed sensor". Does this make sense that there are two different speed sensors? Anyone else run into this? Where would the vehicle speed sensor be located? Thanks for any help!
  • rerobirerobi Member Posts: 2
  • bulldog77bulldog77 Member Posts: 8
    I'm a new member. I have 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ the Cummins diesel. A few days ago, I got a "no bus" message on my odometer, and none all of my gauges/instruments stopped working. The low fuel, ABS, check engine, and airbag lights also came on. On the overhead display, all readings showed "CCd", except for the elapsed time. The truck still started and ran fine, but the warning lights listed above would come back on shortly after starting each time.

Yesterday, all but the check engine light went off and the gauges started working again. Then, today, the check engine light went off. All seems fine now, but I'm wondering if the symptoms described lead anyone to conclude what the problem is/was (Gremlins!).

Thanks,
    Martin
  • kbettorfkbettorf Member Posts: 2
    Did you find out what this was? My husband has a 2002 Dodge Ram as well and had the exact same thing happen this morning to him. Thanks!!
    Haven't had any replies yet, but what I gather from reading other posts in this forum is that the "no bus" message means that the instrument cluster or the part of the system that communicates with it isn't getting getting a signal to the instruments. What may have fixed my problem (besides prayer) is that I checked all the wiring connections from the fuse module under the hood to the ones under the dash. When I got under the dash, the main connection (located toward the outside of the dash or door side, and fairly obvious due to its size) had come loose from its bracket. I made sure the wiring connection itself was securely connected and then placed it back in the steel bracket. I don't know if there is some kind of grounding connection required that is established by the bracket or not (I doubt it), but it was the next day that things started to work. I also recall reading somewhere in the posts in this thread that it takes a few starts and shut-offs or a few trips over a certain speed to clear some of the warning codes and lights, so perhaps the jiggling and re-bracketing the main plug like I did fixed the issue(s) and the lights just took 1-2 days to clear.

Hope that helps. Hopefully, one of the gurus like Dusty or Kcram will get on and give you some help. You might also consider taking it to a reputable shop (if you know of one) and having them just run a diagnostic (hooking it up to their computer) to get a start on the diagnosis. I think prices for that run the gamut, but it shouldn't cost you more than an hour of labor just to rn the computer check.

Regards,
    Martin
    rerobi,

Try this post - #833 of 1168 Re: no speedomiter [orman] by dustyk, in the "Dodge Ram Transmission Problems" thread. It's on page 43 of 59 I believe. It may help. They may be referring to the rear wheel speed sensor.

Martin
    I'm a new member. I have 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ the Cummins diesel. A couple weeks ago, I got a "no bus" message on my odometer, and all my instruments stopped working. The low fuel, ABS, check engine, and airbag lights also came on. On the overhead display, all readings showed "CCd", except for the elapsed time. The truck still started and ran fine, but the warning lights listed above would come back on shortly after starting each time.

Last week, I checked all the wiring connections in the fuse box under the hood, and the wiring connections between there and under the dash. The only thing I found was that the largest of the plugs, toward the drivers door under the dash, had come loose from its "mounting bracket", so I put it back in the bracket.

The next day, all but the check engine light went off and the gauges started working again. Then, the day after that, the check engine light went off. All seemed fine until yesterday, when a couple of hours into a trip, all the lights came on again and all the gauges went to zero.

The truck still runs fine and the cruise control even still works, but I'm getting no "data" from the truck. I've read through several other posts, including the one on Engine codes and transmission problems, but can find very little info on the "no bus" message. Anyone have any ideas? DustyK are you still out there?

Thanks,
    Martin

Thanks,
    Martin
    "No bus" means your dashboard has lost connection with the computer. The truck will continue to run because it doesn't require the dashboard to do so, and the computer is maintaining info such as mph and odometer in its memory.

This was a common occurrence on Rams of that timeframe... a trip to the dealer will cure it.

kcram,

Thanks for the response. Any idea if it may be something I can fix myself, or am I going to need the (dealer's) diagnostic computer to tell where the problem is?

Thanks,
    Martin
    If it's the most common cause, it's a loose connection in the electrical box under the hood. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight inside the box, and try restarting the truck to see if the gauges respond, If not, then it would have to be traced.

• seif63seif63 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1994 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4 AUTOMATIC TRANS.NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH TRANNY. I STOPPED TO GET GAS ON MY WAY HOME,LEFT THE GAS STATION AND WENT APPROX. 1/2 MILE AND THE TRANSMISSION WENT INTO NEUTRAL,I COASTED TO A STOP,SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AND RESTARTED IT,PUT TRANS IN DRIVE AND IT TOOK OFF AGAIN. THIS HAPPENED LIKE 4 OR 5 MORE TIMES ,SO THEN I CALLED FOR A TOW TRUCK.IT ALMOST SOUNDS ELECTRICAL BECAUSE WHEN YOU SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AND RESTART IT.IT WILL GO INTO GEAR.SPOKE WITH A TRANNY SHOP AND THEY SAID THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED--- :confuse:
  • lowrider01lowrider01 Member Posts: 1
    my battery went dead and the red light came on and started blinking and wont turn off replaced battery still blinking then on the mileage display gascap come on then the check engine light come on I replaced the gascap still wont turn off how do I fix this hopefully with out having to take it to dealership? please
  • malachi4_6malachi4_6 Member Posts: 5
    I have a Dodge 2002 Ram Van 2500. The speedometer is not working, the ABS, engine and brake light stays on. I changed the speed sensor and still same problem. I ckecked the wires and there is no current going to the sensor wires. The code is P0500 which is sensor mulfunction. Any ideas what else I can do?
  • sevencowssevencows Member Posts: 1
    When I had the same problem I replaced the spark plugs and wires which fixed the problem --BUT- I later found I had a bad wire which cause the misfire which burned up my catalytic converter. $600 to fix,
  • langhorseslanghorses Member Posts: 1
    my truck has an error code of 0431 which is listed as( warm up efficiency below threshold (bank 2) ). Does anyone know what that means?
  • erichbeifusserichbeifuss Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what this is about and how much of a problem it is? It is for a 1998 Ram 1500 5.2 litre
    I have a 2002 Ram van and had similar problem. I changed the speed sensor but find out that a rodent had chew my wires.
  • erichbeifusserichbeifuss Member Posts: 3
    That helps. Is it something that a reasonably handy person can change themselves or do you need to be a mechanic/special tools
    On a 1998, the sensor is located on the left side rear of the transmission and points slightly down. Clean the wire and sensor, check wire for damage, remove the plug, then remove the sensor. A reasonably handy person can change it, just be ready for tranny fluid to come out.
    Corkscrew
  • graydodgegraydodge Member Posts: 2
    Can any one tell what to do with this code? I was told it is the EGR, but i dont want to replace it if its not bad and the light wont go out.
  • tiger38tiger38 Member Posts: 6
    yes this is the egr valve. i replaced one a couple days ago. not hard to change. to reset the light ,disconnect the battery for 2 minutes after you change the egr valve. it cost about 48 dollars
  • graydodgegraydodge Member Posts: 2
    thanks
  • cabover30cabover30 Member Posts: 8
    My check engine light just went on in my 1999 2500 with cummins diesel. This coincided with my temperature gauge never coming up from cold so I think they are related. I see all of this talk about how to fix certain codes but I'm not sure how to get the codes.

Can someone tell me how to get the codes?
  • cabover30cabover30 Member Posts: 8
    OK, I just read through all of the posts on this topic. I went out to the truck and did the on - off - on - off - on sequence and nothing changed in the odometer display. I changed the odometer to the trip odometer and did the sequence again. Still no codes.

Is my truck to old for this type error code display?
    The preferred method for getting codes is to have them read. There is a 16 pin connector under the instrument panel on the drivers side. I have read of those people who can't pull up a code for one reason or another. If you can't get your code by cycling the key within 5 seconds, Auto Zone and Pep Boys usually read them for free.
    Corkscrew
  • hailofaguyhailofaguy Member Posts: 2
    We have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 V8 Gas and the Check Engine light came yesterday. When I did the On/off/on/off/on test it flashed 12 - 31 - 55.

Does anyone know what code 31 is?

I found another site for Dodge Neon that said Code 31 was the "Evap purge flow monitor failure or evap solenoid circuit", but I am not sure if Dodge uses the same codes for all their vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Do a google search for Dodge Computer Codes and you'll find several places that gives you this. Here is one:
    http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html
    Hope this helps.