Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I have no rattles or squeaks in my OBS (now 6 months old). If I did, I would head to the dealer and ask them to fix them.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• oldladydriveroldladydriver Member Posts: 15
    Have the same, or similar, problem with my 2008 Impreza 2.5i auto transmission. After it has moved into 3rd or 4th gear, really have to gas it to get it to downshift - and until it gets around to downshifting, there's a lot of vibration - and engine pinging. I've had the transmission "relearned" twice at the dealership - with no luck. I think it must be a design problem with these models - the shifting is unpredictable. I've had a bit of luck with tapping the accelerator to get it to downshift when I need power - but it's really annoying to have to do this. If anyone has any luck getting this fixed - please post the specifics here, I'd like to hear more.
  • shobsonshobson Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem. A vibration sound when accelerating up a slight incline at around 40mph. Sounds like it's it too low a gear and needs to shift up quicker. Also does it when on on-ramps joining highways. Was really quite loud and was doing it a lot. Took it to dealer who replicated the problem. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong and then took the loaner car out, which made the same noise. So they then said it was 'normal' to make this noise as the loaner car was doing it as well. Think the mechanic reset the memory and it does make it less now, but I think it's coming back more. This was 8 weeks ago. Had the car 6 months now. It's a 2009 Impreza automatic.
    I traded in a 2003 Impreza outback sport that also made the same noise, very loudly. It didn't start to make this noise until a few years old though, and I didn't expect the brand new car to start having problems.
    Did you take it to the dealer - What did your dealer say?
  • marti875marti875 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I took it to the dealer this morning. I had recorded the sound on a hand recorder, which we listened to before the drive. I took the tech for a drive and reproduced the sound at about 1500 rpm and around 40 mph. He did something to a heat shield, which he said was touching an exhaust pipe where it shouldn’t. He also said there was something in the Subaru system about the air box causing noises so he worked on it too. It didn’t make the noise on the way from the dealer to work this morning. We’ll see how it does over the next week. They said to bring to bring it back if it's still making the noise and they will keep it and give me a loaner. I don't have the fail codes with me that the tech entered into the Subaru system with me. If you need them, I can post them.
  • marti875marti875 Member Posts: 4
    The fail code that the Tech entered was EYA85 and a note that the exhaust heat sheilds were readjusted. It was considerably quieter this morning on the way to work. It still has a bit of a low vibration/growl if I coast into a low grade and put a load on the engine. So the shifting is not what I would want...it should downshift sooner...but the vibration is much lower. I am guessing that the only true fix is for Subaru to put a 5 or 6 speed auto in the car instead of the 4 speed auto. I am going to unplug the battery, which I think should reset the CPU. I think that is what the Techs are doing when they say that they relearned the computer. My tech had never heard of it.
    has come at 6 months/5000 miles: the other night the cruise wouldn't set. The dash light was coming on as if it was setting but the speed just kept dropping when I let off the gas. Sigh. I hope this doesn't become a chronic problem with this car, as I use cruise a lot.

Turning the whole system off, waiting, then turning it back on cured the problem that time. Hopefully it was a one-time glitch.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Keep us posted.

That is odd though. Noone else has reported an issue like that on the current Impreza/WRX/OBS/Forester platform.

No other electrical symptoms at all? Does the battery struggle to start the car?
    Nope, the battery does not struggle at all! ;-)

No repeats since then, it has worked just right every other time I have turned it on.

• jerryfarinajerryfarina Member Posts: 10
    oh hi everybody. I had forgotten to check back at this forum about the problems with my Impreza. Well part of me is glad that I'm not the only one having this problem. For a moment I thought maybe I was being a little too picky about the car. But since many people are having the same problem it sounds like a design flaw. I'm taking my car to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked out. My fear is that they will say this is "normal," which they might. The other problems I'm having is that there are rattles coming from the driver side door, driver side pillar and various places along the front dash board when I go over any sort of bump. I may be being too picky about that but I definitely can stop the rattling if I hold the plastic with my hand. It's really annoying. Anyone else have THIS problem too?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Interior rattles are pretty typical these past few years. I would take it in to have the rattles addressed as they will only get worse.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • hatethiscar7hatethiscar7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm so relieved to see others having the same problems, so I don't feel picked upon. I have the same loud vibration noise going uphill at 40 - 45 mph. I've had my '09 Impreza (less than 4 months old, 5700 miles) in for this problem 3 times now. My local dealer's service manager has been very condescending to me and no help what so ever. He told me the first time that it was a tire noise. The tires were way out of balance, but I couldn't accept this diagnosis, as the noise is definitely coming from the engine compartment. (The tires are another issue - they're been balanced twice, and are out of whack again.) I even took the mechanic for a ride with me on one visit so that he could hear the noise. He says it's probably one of the heat shields. When I picked it up yesterday, the service department told me, once again, that they can't find the problem, so they can't fix it.

At least, you can sometimes get your car to shift by pressing the gas - my Impreza doesn't always respond to the gas pedal! Four or five times now, I've depressed the accelerator to - nothing. The car continues at the same speed it was going for a few seconds before deciding whether or not it wants to go faster. :lemon:
    to the Subaru ownership experience is having to deal with the Subaru dealers for service, especially if you have something that actually needs fixing..... :-(

Ugh, yea my dealer was no help either. They took it around for a drive, but of course they couldn't replicate the problem so they did nothing. Also I posted earlier that the front left pillar was rattling when I go over bumps..well now the whole dashboard rattles..middle and right side too. Perhaps I was expecting too much from this car. I realize it's an entry-level car and not a BMW. But it's brand new and only has 3000 miles on it. I'm glad I'm leasing it though because once the lease is up, I'm giving it back and probably not getting another Subaru. I do like the size of it and that it's a hatchback. Maybe the AWD will come in handy this winter. But perhaps I should have gotten the Rabbit / Golf instead. This is my first car. Are these problems to be expected?
    VW has more reliability issues than Subaru does.

Work with the dealer, they've helped Forester owners with similar complaints.
  • vrungelvrungel Member Posts: 7
    hi All,

I'm considering getting a 5 door manual Impreza , either 2.5i, 2.5i Premium or Outback Sport. Just trying to see how they are different. Can i live with base model or there is something great i would be missing?

Also, if I put third party alloy wheels on the base 2.5i , would that convert it to 2.5i Premium? :)

Thanks in advance.
    Greg
    The Premium package is a bargain. So much so that it actually increases residual values. At least get that.

The OBS has the AWP I believe, so in cold climates, I'd want it.
  • rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    The premium adds alloy wheels, 10 speaker system, sunroof, 6-disc in-dash cd changer, auxillary audio jack. You can compare the models on Subaru.com. Base model is doable if you don't want the above items. It's truly a matter of money and preference for features. Best of Luck!
    Thanks! is sunroof standard or optional? i absolutely need alloy wheels but could get good ones from tirerack.com. 10 speaker (vs. 4) is nice, sunroof is nice too. but who would need a CD changer these days? i stopped listening to CDs a long while ago, auxillary audio jack does the trick

anyone has experience with exterior heated mirrors? My previous car had heated seats - i used to flip it on in the summer to get my g/f uncomfortable. :P That was the only thing it was good for.

also, think Outback sport suspension is different from base models. Is that true?
    The heated mirrors are the best (and probably only useful) feature of the AWP. The heaters will dry off water spotting from rain/mist and clear off fogging/icing due to morning frosts or elevation/humidity changes. Unfortunately, they are tied into the wiper and rear defroster switch (which I think is a little annoying). And, they do it very quickly! I doubt it takes longer than a couple of minutes to completely clear them when iced or wet, and even less time if they are fogged.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The moonroof is optional, on the Premium model only.

The 10-speaker stereo is so much better than the crappy base Subaru stereo, there just aren't words to describe it. But you could also visit a reputable aftermarket car stereo installer....

I am not the type to ever opt for frippery like heated seats, but they came as part of the deal on my Outback Sport, and after my first really cold morning, I would never be without them now. As mentioned above, the heated mirrors can be very useful too, and I don't find it a big deal that I have to leave the rear defroster on to get the mirrors cleared.

Subaru SAYS that the Outback Sport has "heavy-duty raised suspension", but I have never really believed it. It has like 0.4 inches more ground clearance than the other Imprezas, and I bet that is because of the 17" rims. All the non-WRX Imprezas need a rear sway bar IMO, and none of them have one. The Sport has a somewhat less squishy ride than the Premium and the base Impreza because of the lower profile tires.

I am one of the last people out there who prefers the two-tone paint of the Sport, and that with the factory 17s that I really like convinced me to go with that trim instead of the Premium. But don't discount that AWP in the Outback Sport - the heated seats and mirrors are a definite bonus.

I don't find it a big deal that I have to leave the rear defroster on to get the mirrors cleared.

In warmer weather, this is not a problem. It is when the temperature drops to cold, such as perhaps 10F and lower (which is most of the many months of winter here), that it is annoying. Having the rear defroster on only serves to create large amounts of ice on the rear window and obscure the rearward view. This phenomenon is a result of blowing snow coming up behind the car, melting briefly on the glass, and then freezing. The wiper is useless to correct it and the glass must be scraped off periodically.

In the past, the mirrors had their own switch (a discreet little button on the dash) which was far more practical.
    thank you, xwesx &nippononly. this was all really helpful

I myself don't really like two-tone paint of the Outback Sport and that is something a dealer was trying to sell to me. :cry: If anything, I'd go with Obsidian Black, but that's a matter of personal preference. You are saying you like OM 17s wheels - how does it corner on those?

Also, Impreza is one of the heaviest cars in it's class. Any comments on this? how does it handle? I had a test drive but they don't really let you "test" it.
    Consumer Reports said it is the best ride among small cars.
    Regarding the test drive, insist on taking the Impreza out by yourself. If the dealership doesn't allow it, then find another one. I agree, color is a matter of preference. I chose dark gray metallic because it has a black interior, no beige for me too easily soiled. The weight I feel doesn't effect its handling, in fact it's a car that's fun to drive and not boring. This will be my 5th Subaru, 2nd Impreza. I've done a lot of research and test driving and for the money Subaru makes a very safe and fun car. I chose the premium for the alloy and didn't like the two-tone paint either. Liked the 16in wheels, a bit cheaper to purchase than 17in which I have on my 08 Legacy. I can have my choice of any car out there and I still keep coming back to Subaru. Take your time and enjoy the process. :)
  • impreza2008impreza2008 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2008 Impreza with the dark gray metalic exterior color. This paint system is flawed and chips very easily. I suggest you buy with another color. My dealer applied a hardner at no cost to me to make the pain more durable. After a year it needs to be reapplied.. very costly.

Sol
    I have an 08 Legacy dark gray metallic and I have found the same thing. From what I understand about the new paint with most car companies is that by going "green" the lead has been taken out. I have searched other forums such as Toyota and Nissan for ex: and owners are complaining about paint chipping easily. I thought about what color might show the least and found the dark gray to be best, though I think all colors will show to some extent. Maybe Mercedes doesn't have this problem :P
    For a small car it has a nice ride on bad pavement and out on the interstate. However, if you are a canyon carver like me, you will find it a bit wanting as the back end tends to call out that lack of a rear sway in hard cornering.

You will never want for grip though - you just might be slightly uncomfortable with how far the car is canted over, and you have to watch it when it wags back as you straighten out. For anything less than manic (like my driving!) you will be fine, and it has a way smoother ride than any of the other compacts. You could also install a rear sway, and then I think it would have an almost perfect balance between ride and handling.

Yes, it's heavier than other compacts, because of the AWD. If you don't need or really want AWD, there are better handlers on the market which will also go a bit easier on gas. But they will generally cost more than $20K, and the higher Impreza trims can be had for significantly under $20K. And Impreza is the only real CAR available under $20K. Everything else in that price range is just a plastic appliance.

They stopped using solvents, and we shouldn't be surprised if they slowly move to low VOC paints soon, also.
    you hit it right on the eye, nippononly. :shades: Impreza is an unique combination of safe ride and fun ride with the price tag below 20K.

I finally realized what my problem was - part of me wants more performance and handling and I'd rather had a lighter car giving up AWD. The other part of me wants it to be very safe as my g/f will be driving it as well. I still have to teach her how to drive stick (told her that automatic transmission is not even offered by Subaru :blush: )

I'm leaning towards 2.5i Premium - should be ok w/o AWP as i live in tri state area. I only hit snowstorms occasionally when going on skiing trips.

BTW, the dimming rearview mirror is a must - guys, make yourself a Christmas gift. It worth so much more than CD changer there are no words to describe it.
    I'm looking at a blizzard's worth of snow outside, so I know what I'd rather have right about now. :shades:
    Yup, I got my OBS at a tidge over $18K, and for that money what are you going to buy? A Corolla for goodness' sake?? The only thing near it is the Mazda3s, which is comparable in many ways. But:
    - the 3's shifter is worse
    - the 3's steering has less feedback
    - it's FWD, the worst possible configuration
    - resale and service are worse
    - the 3 has had several systemic complaints in the last few years, and who knows if they have all been addressed by Mazda. Of those, one - weak A/C - would really bug me, enough to be a deal-breaker. My sister has a 3 in which the compressor already seized, before 60K miles, causing the belt to burn which started a minor underhood fire. Both before and after the compressor replacement I found/find her A/C to be very weak - on a hot summer's day in LA, you might as well just open the windows, you will sweat less.

Having said all that, if I had had to pay the full $21K on the sticker of my Outback Sport, I would definitely have been choosing between an SI or a GTI for the same money, and Subaru would have been off my list. But for some fun and the AWD for snow trips (of which I do many) at $18K, the OBS was it for me.

Ok, what is your secret for scoring an Outback for 18k? Is it a manual? Edmunds TMV for a 2.5i premium w/auto is 20,147. I didn't even add auto dim mirror. My dealer would laugh at me with much negotiation, well at least that's what I think. I dislike haggling over price, but want more money in my pocket in the end. :) It seems you even barely paid over invoice? I'm intrigued.
    Mine is a manual, yes, so that's $1000 less than the automatic on the sticker. I think I got mine about $1000 below invoice, and of that at least $500 was a factory rebate.

Inventory is pretty lean in my area, so I'm still waiting. I was told that the North East region is only getting the premium w/ special edition pkg. unless I want to build my own without it that's the only way they're coming. I'm not crazy about sunroof/possible leak, fog lights don't help much, heated seats and side mirrors, eh over rated. I've had all these features on my last three Subarus, didn't even use or need them. Yes, I live in a very cold climate/loads of snow. Have any of you experienced sunroof leaks, or can see the value of the other items? It's turned in to more of a rant, I know. :)
    I got the answer straight from Subaru today. The North East region gets the 2.5i premium w/spec. ed. pkg included so I have no choice unless I want to make a special order. Hmm..the 2.5i is looking better and cheaper except need to buy allow wheels.
    I was curious what the special edition package was, so I went and looked it up, and it's only $500! And it includes a moonroof and the cold weather package? Seems like a real bargain unless you hate moonroofs, which of course you may.

Me, if a moonroof could have been included in my car for only $500 more, I would have jumped at it.

Indeed, it's such a bargain that the residual as a % actually increases. Belive it or not, it may actually cost less to lease one if you ADD that package.

So you sort of pay *not* to get a moonroof and heated seats/mirrors/wiper de-icer.

Get it.
    I believe that I'll special order one since I don't want a sunroof,
    that is worth knowing if you are considering one: it has a really twitchy tire pressure warning system. My warning light came on and stayed on at 28 mpg - the recommended pressure is just 32, and that is cutting it pretty close IMO. That means that if I have a 40 degree swing in outside temps from week to week (and I did have a 20 degree swing just prior to the light coming on recently), the light could come on even if I had just checked the pressure.

On these cold mornings lately, the light has been illuminating briefly when I first start the car in the morning, then going out about a minute after it would normally go out. Not sure what that means, but I think I am going to have to check if it monitors the spare too.

Had a chance to have four full-size adults in the car this weekend, and I am now officially uncomfortable with how soft the rear suspension is. At freeway speed, the rear end was bottoming out over gentle dips in the pavement. Plus when the rear end would come up over a rise, it would go flying up higher than I am comfortable with too. There just wasn't enough control in the struts back there. But then I was out on an extensive piece of rutted dirt road today, and the soft suspension and lack of sway kept me from getting my back fillings knocked out. So I just don't know what to think....I want it to be able to do both well!

I'm considering the 2.5i base and was wondering if anyone had problems with the wheel covers popping off easily. For example how many times have you had to replace them because they fell off while driving? Also, are you happy with the 4 speaker system vs. the 10 speaker in 2.5i premium model?

Thank you :)
  • biomedrobbiomedrob Member Posts: 1
    I live in NJ and just scored a 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5dr. 5spd. for $18.6k. The car came with the moonroof, fog lights, stereo and all the extras. They also added lifetime drive train warranty and side body moldings. To make the deal sweeter they gave me $2.5k for my old 99' 4dr. civic w/200k mls. I can't wait to pick it up. I also looked at and drove the Mazda 3s and Hyundai Touring. Both good cars with better milage but also cost more and didn't have AWD. Lets face it everyone, your not going to find the one car that does everything perfectly in the $20k range.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE UNDECIDED PEOPLE OUT THERE!
    Congrats, that model is the best value in the lineup, IMHO.

Funny when a Hyundai costs MORE than a Subaru, eh? :confuse:
    Congrats on a sweet deal! You know, I've complained a little about my '09 Impreza, it's not a perfect vehicle by any means, but I did just come back from Florida where my wife and I rented a Kia Forte and I must say that coming home to the Subaru was really nice. I've also driven other Kias, owned a Honda Civic and other cars in the Impreza's price range and I must say that for the money, it is the most fun car you can buy, with maybe the exception of the GTI. And I still love the hatch and when you want a hatchback, there aren't many options out there.

I don't think my next car will be a subaru, however, as I want to get something more fuel efficient. I will probably get a TDI Jetta Wagon or whatever new is out at that time. Subaru has a diesel in Europe and I do hope they bring it to the US as that would be very appealing to me.
    Both the GTI and TDI are nice, especially the interiors. They get a lot of upgrades from the base Golf models, though, and they're not cheap.

Subaru offers more bang, VW offers more comfort in the mid 20s (WRX vs. GTI).
  • hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I'm trying to decide between the 2 cars.
    The lowest price I found for the Outback Sport is 18,623 with:
    Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink
    Bumper Cover
    Center Armrest Ext - Ivory
    Popular Equipment Group 3B
    Security System Shock Sensor.

The 2.5i Premium with Special Edition Package is 17,661 and comes with:
    • All Weather Package
    • Cargo Tray - Ivory
    • Fog Lights
    • Power Moonroof
    • Special Edition Package

Not sure which is the better deal. Both way below invoice.
    I like the armrest extension and the bumper cover, those things will come in handy and make the ownership experience better.

I also think the AWP and moonroof will do the same for the SE.

The bottom line is do you like the two-tone of the Sport?

Both are good deals. People pay that sort of money for lesser cars every day.
  • dstarinieridstarinieri Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2010
    Traded an 06 BMW for an Impreza! I no longer worry will my BMW start, and if if needs a repair will I have to drain my savings account. Have a 2010 with premium and special edition package and a few other goodies for 19,600 plus tax, etc. Great value for the money. The armrest extension is a must.

I have gone 3000 miles in 3 weeks (I'm in sales) and the ride is great. Not stiff like my BMW, the seats are great. Could use a bit more power is my main complaint.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I have been a frequent poster on the Subaru boards, having owned new 05 Outback, 06 Tribeca and now have 09 Forester.

My 09 is "ok" now have 31k on the vehicle in 14 months. It's just too much of a "rattle trap" but otherwise fine.

Daughter just turned 19 & wanted to get something "safe and reliable" so yesterday pulled the trigger on 09 Impreza premium with 10k for $15750. I hope I did the right thing -- spent some time looking & couldn't get a better deal elsewhere. What cinched the deal was $2000 for trade in of 1997 Isuzu Oasis. It ran good but didn't look too great but I was not thrilled with the prospects of having to sell it on my own. Besides, got the advantage of another $125 sales tax advantage as I traded it in.

I expect the Impreza should be as reliable as my Forester has been, hoping that the mpg will be a little better than my Forester. Since day one, I have kept good track of mpg on Forester and have averaged close to 25 mpg, The trip computer on the Forester a little too optomistic, that shows about 1 mpg higher.

Any comments from anyone on price I paid, as well as comments on the vehicle itself?
  • hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I picked up the SE hatchback on 4/30 in satin white. Whats funny is I had 3 appointments on that day. I bought from the first dealer I went to as they had the color I wanted. As I was closing the deal, I notified the other dealers that I was in the purchasing and I could not meet with them. Both called/e-mailed me with lower prices, but didn't say the price, except dealer #2 dropped the $200 off the price on the Outback Sport. The next day, that same dealer dropped $475 off the same car. I should have waited...oh well, I'm happy with my new Subaru!
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like you got a decent deal - I wouldn't pay a dime over $16K for a 1 year old with 10K on the clock, and you didn't!

I am just turning over 10K in mine, and contemplating getting the short shifter and the rear sway from the WRX installed in my OBS when I go for the oil change + tire rotation.

I have no idea why Subaru continues to insist on putting 4-foot-tall truck shifters in these cars, but it sure does slow down shifting. As for the rear sway, the thing just about lifts a front wheel, it keels over so hard when you are at 70 mph+ and go around a curve on the highway. The super soft rear end makes for a comfy highway ride, I'm sure, but it just compromises handling too much for my tastes. It's like there's nothing holding the back of the car up except handfuls of marshmallows.

I wonder how much the dealer will want for those additions.....