Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Subaru
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2195....

Subaru Forrester - Continued II. Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    we could get the name right the third time around?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    OK, let's hurry up and post 1000 items so we can try the spelling again ;)

On the carrier - you have several options. My soft carrier was $50, and I've been happy. No excessive wind noise, it proved water proof in 5 hours of rain, and no scratches. It folds away and takes up no space, too.

You can also get hard carriers. The Subaru one is expensive, but Sears has several options, and they're bargains. These lock, but they are rigid so odd shaped items may not fit well.

A Forester should easily make it through dental school for you. In fact, it would be under warranty the whole time, while most competitors would not.

As for parts, I buy from Qsubaru, a wholesaler whose prices are extremely competitive. They're OE parts at good prices, and shipping is free, plus there is no sales tax outside of TN.

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I took my new baby Forester S+ on a long weekend trip. At the end of the trip it felt like front seats are too short, that is, I did not feel my legs supported in the way they were in my old Loyale. I did not measure the seat length, but I wonder if you guys ever felt the seats are too short?

Thanks!

--Kate
    Did you try the seat height adjusters? There are two knobs, for front and rear height.

I like the front all the way up, for thigh support, and the rear a bit lower. That tends to hug me a bit better, like a bucket seat should.

On longer trips I usually adjust the lumbar setting every few hours, too.

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    yes, I did adjust the seat; I also like front up high and rear at the lowest...
  • joelbjoelb Member Posts: 16
    I have a '99 S with a single CD player. Unfortunately, I find a lot of static while listening to some of my CD's.

These same CD's sound fine in 4 other CD players I own. Some of my CD's always make this noise, while others will do it only on rare occasions during long 2+ hour trips.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    I'd have a dealer check it out. I wonder is there is a loose connection somewhere.

-juice
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    the posts on how to affect a long-term treatment of the Forester hatch rattle (marble noise). Help, please. Not too bad yet, but I want Rufus to be a happy ride.

Ross
    I think the latch can be adjusted, but I haven't looked at it closely.

On a different note, here are instructions to install the rear diffy protector and the trailer hitch.

I did both myself and took pictures to share with you guys. Both peices impressed me, they're sturdy and offer a nice, custom fit.

The skid plate can be done in an hour or two, the hitch takes longer. I did manage both by myself, though I skinned a knuckle or two.

The skid plate was $55 from
    Darlene. The hitch was close to $190, and the bike carrier was $156 or so. It costs more than the roof carrier, but it's more versatile since I can now haul a trailer.

I'm happy as a clam because I'm heading to the OBX this fall and now I can take my mountain bikes and all the gear can still go on the roof.

-juice
  • flotflot Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I just bought a Forester L with the standard radio/cassete. I would like to add a CD player. Does anyone have any recomendation ? Do I have to go with the dealer option ? Is there anything compatible in the market ? Will I have to go with the RF solution ?
    Thanks for any info,
    AJS
    The OE CD player is a bit expensive. It invoices for around $250.

You can get an entire head unit for that much in the aftermarket, or even invest only a tad more in a CD changer.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    AJS,

The best solution would be to go to a professional installer and have them take a look at your Forester. I'm sure they could give you advice on which models will fit. RF solutions usually aren't great. You probably could find a unit that fits under the passenger seat or goes directly into the OE stereo space.
    Check out crutchfield. They'll even tell you what head units fit in the stock location, and offer kits so you don't have to splice any wires.

If you're more comfortable with a professional install, a lot of place offer if for free if you're buying higher end audio equipment.

Whatever you do, please share it with us.

-juice
    I don't know how many of you guys know about that, but there is a computer standard format called MP3 where you can store music in CD quality in a CD. I have dozens of CDs in this format, and a friend of mine has a personal CD player that plays standard CDs and Mp3 CDs. That would be the dream for my car. So far I haven't found any car solution - besided the tape that you can connect to a portable CD player. If I cannot find a in-dash solution, probably I'm gonna stick with the tape adapter.
    I'll keep you guys posted.
    Thanks,
    AJS
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Anyone put a lift kit on a forrester?
    Good, bad experiences?
    Plenty of guys on the Yahoo Forester Club have, and swear by them. Springs give about a 2" lift by themselves, though there are kits than add another 2" or so. That's a whopping 11.5" of ground clearance, more with bigger tires.

Check out ISR's site. They went to the extremes, 4" lift, huge tires, spacers for the wheels to clear the spring base, you name it.

Problems? Well, lifts will deteriorate the sporty on-road handling and create a higher center of gravity. In extreme cases (4" or more), the driveshaft angles are affected, but people seem to have home-made fixes for that.

I'm considering the springs alone myself. The full lift is too much.

-juice
    I found a MP3 CD car player: Aiwa CDC-MP3, but there are others: http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/featured/car/?mc=hwlc02
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Thanks for the response.

I was concerned about the drive shaft angles and premature wear.

11" of ground clearance, now thats the ticket!

My worst case scenario is getting to a favorite camping area which requires going across a small creek bed (the old small bridge has been washed away) with slippery rocks, etc.

Of course, if it has been raining really hard the water level would be too deep to cross (for me anyway).
    There is a "pool" near this spot so one needs to be careful not to drive in the wrong spot. A friend of mine, drowned a full size '85 Blazer with 33" wheels and 4 inch lift. oops

Sporty on road handling doesn't really concern me too much. I don't zig-zag around in traffic.

I think this car will pretty much fit the bill for my needs.
    I'll check out that website...thanks.
    Check out the Yahoo Forester club for the photo album. Even the Outback Sports make it across streams, and they're an inch closer to the ground vs. the stock Forester.

Go for a the taller springs. They'll give you 9.5" and still reasonable on-road handling.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Juice

Your trailer hitch, is that the small Class II receiver (1.75"??) or the larger 2" receiver? The unit on my Explorer is the larger Class III 2" unit. Do you have a (actual) trailer hitch w/ball, or just the hitch receiver?

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Bob - The OE Forester hitch is a Class II hitch with a 2" receiver. It comes with everything but the actual ball.

-Frank P.
    Are you sure? I was under the impression that Subaru trailer hitches used the smaller "square" hitch receiver. I may be wrong.

I've got the "larger" square receiver/tow ball (Class III) on my Explorer. I don't think that my square hitch would fit Subaru's square hitch receiver. Am I incorrect?

I'm not sure what size my hitch "ball" is. I think it too is the larger size. The 5'x8' utility trailer I pull has a 2500 GVW rating.

Bob
    Bob- The outside measurements of my receiver are 2" square. The hitch from the Class III receiver I had on my Jeep fits just fine. Same goes for the ball.

-Frank P.
    Thanks for the info!

Bob
    Bob - I think it's 2" square, and I do have the hitch, all that's missing is the ball itself.

Hutch has an aftermarket Draw Tite hitch and the OE Subaru receiver on mine is bigger.

Folks, I got the chance to test the Forester ALL OUT at Edmunds Live, and was extremely impressed. I can say without a doubt that I have no regrets.

It was 2nd in acceleration only to the 5.9l Durango, while beating a 4Runner, RAV4, CR-V, and Grand Vitara.

In the slalom, it was in a class by itself, blowing away the others. Surprisingly, the 2nd best was the Grand Vitara!

In the off road section, Hutch touched bottom a few times, but not hard, and I went slower the 2nd time and made it without touching at all. Our CR-V and Grand Vitara actually hit bottom more. The torque was great. The CR-V and RAV4 were wanting here.

Finally, in the ride section it was among the best, maybe 2nd or 3rd, and the brakes were fantastic: short and straight stops. The Grand Vitara and Durango locked up badly.

We had a ball. Go if you can.

-juice
  • mr_markmr_mark Member Posts: 4
    I bought the Subaru hitch for my 2001 Forester S and had the dealer install it. It is a class one receiver type hitch (2000 lbs. towing, 200 lbs. tounge weight). The draw bar is 1 1/4" square. The 2" draw bar from a class three hitch will not fit.

Hope this helps!

Mark
    Hmm, I'll have to measure mine again.

-juice

PS Do you measure the opening, or the outside of the receiver?
    Does your hitch receiver look to be the same size as those used on Jeeps, Blazers, Explorers, etc.?

I haven't seen the Subaru receiver (in person), but from the pictures I've seen, it appears to be smaller than those used on the above mentioned vehicles.

Bob
    Check out this photo:

http://thejuiceman.homepage.com/bike.html

It doesn't look 2" wide. I'll try to e-mail you a photo I have that is zoomed in much closer.

-juice
    Okay...the Subaru receiver accepts a 1.25" hitch (Juice the correct measurement is the inside opening). I looked at the 2" hitches at AutoZone and they look huge in comparison. However, the Subaru receiver is the same size as the Draw-Tite Class III I had on my Jeep and it handled several Uhaul trailers. Bob- I recall seeing a 3rd receiver somewhere that looked very small (1/2"?). I think this is the one you're worried about not handling your trailer.

-Frank P.
    I did measure and it is indeed 1.25".

Bob and I will test it on Saturday with his trailer, and we'll let you guys know how it goes.

-juice
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I think you can buy an adaptor that will allow you to use the 1.25" receiver with a 2" tongue. The smallish hitch is probably a class I (practically useless) for a passenger car.

The nice thing about having a hitch is that you can buy a tow strap which can latch on inside (to the pin). No need for any tow hooks at the back. Oh BTW, I strongly recommend a locking pin since the non-lockable ones almost always get stolen.

Drew
    True - when installing the hitch I removed two tow hooks (Subaru calls them Tow Eyes).

The latch provided has a clip but no lock, but I keep it inside anyway, with the cover on the receiver to keep it clean.

-juice
  • gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    I just took my '01 Forester in for its 3K service today which was nothing more than an oil change, and noticed that after this they recommend a service at 7.5K, 15K, 22.5K, etc. Do people really go that long between changes? I was always under the impression that it should be done at 3-4K or so
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    gouldn,

Frequent oil changes are probably the best preventative maintenance you can do for your engine. While it probably could go 7.5K without any problems (certainly wouldn't void any warranties!) I like to stick to a 3-5K schedule.

Oil changes are $20-30. They're even cheaper if you DIY. That's pretty cheap insurance compared to a costly repair down the road.
    I'd say it depends. I'm on that schedule (every 7.5k) and have no problems whatsoever, and my 26+ mpg average proves it's running smooth.

However, I take a lot of trips, and part of my commute is done on the higway. Plus, I'm rarely in dusty conditions.

If you drive in the city or dirt trails and take frequent short trips, I'd do it more often.

-juice

PS My Forester towed RSHolland's 700lb trailer nicely. Felt the weight, but I made it up to speeds easily within reasonable time. I don't know if I'd pull more than the 2000lbs Subaru specs as the limit, though.
    That's a 1000lbs, if you're using my trailer as a gauge. Remember, trailers without brakes (mine), the limit is only 1000lbs. So, that leaves you with a bit over 300lbs. payload.

Bob
    My plan is for a slightly smaller, lighter trailer, and perhaps 500-600 lbs payload. Unless I can find one with brakes in a similar size.

I was just offering a reference of how much weight I was pulling at the time with the 2.5l engine.

BTW, mine is the Phase I engine, so the newer Phase II ought to do better.

-juice
    OK, as promised, I finally added a page for the trailer.

I've included some tips for those considering one.

-juice
    Did you use any sort of lubrication for the trailer hitch receiver ball?
    Only for the harness. It came with a special grease to prevent rust.

Though I should have. The chrome on the ball looks scratched a little on the top/front.

Any suggestions to clean it? It's very minor, but I'm nit-picky. Also, what lube would help?

-juice
    Your auto parts store should have some lube (usually some type of grease) for the ball. This is so that it doesn't get all scratched up while you're making turns. I also recall that some company (maybe Reese?) makes a ball that rotates on ball bearings so that no lube is required. I think I saw it on the Shadetree Mechanic TV show.

Drew
    Thanks, I'll at least check out the grease.

Oops, have to buy my trailer first! ;)

-juice
  • mat5xmat5x Member Posts: 1
    I've seen some links for the S-turbo and
    the C/20 Special Foresters from the Subaru
    japan site. It looks liek the S-turbo is
    for europe only? is it available at all in
    the US or canada? Do its specs really give it
    an advantage - it also has a DOHC. (im not that
    much of an engine buff).

its got a torque of 24.5 kg-m (which is 167 ft-lbs) @ 3200, and 125kW of power (at 745W/hp
    thats 167HP) - these numbers seem to be what
    I see on the specs on the US/Can websites - so
    is the Forester S a turbo? I dont see a DOHC
    listed on the specs tho...

And there is NO info on the C/20 Special in
    english on the subaru JP site - anyone got
    any info?
    ...the North American market is often the last to get (if at all) Subaru's good stuff, such as the Forester Turbo.

The Forester is scheduled for a redesign in 2003, most likely to be built off the new 2002 Impreza platform, which is due here next spring. There's a good possibility that it may receive the H-6 then. Let's hope so.

Bob
    The US and Canada are unique in that they get the bigger 2.5l engine for effortless torque at low revs. Gas is cheap here, too.

In almost all other markets, a 2.0l is used for fuel efficiency and because big engines are taxed heavily, a turbo is added for the performance models.

Though the numbers are close to our 2.5l, the turbo easily outruns ours. A Euro magazine tested a Forester turbo against the new Volvo XC and Audi Allroad and they chose the Forester! They hit 60 in 7.9 seconds, which is about a full second quicker than our 2.5l.

DOHC vs. SOHC? The phase I 2.5l was a DOHC, it's the engine I have. Double over-head camshaft means there is one camshaft controlling the intake valves, another the exhaust valves, allowing for precise control of the valves, especially at high revs. Hence the redline in the DOHC engines is higher, 6500rpm.

The 2.5l Phase II engine came out in 1999, and it made more torque (166 vs. 162) with the same hp (165). They lowered the redline to 6250rpm and went with a simpler SOHC design, for better low rpm torque. Americans love torque, so here a SOHC makes sense.

In other markets, DOHC is fine. People don't mind revving a bit higher to make power.

-juice
    With the Boxer style layout of the Subaru 4-cylinder engine, wouldn't it actually be quadruple OHC for the Phase 1 engine, and DOHC for the Phase 2 engine? ;-)
    Well, sort of.

The Phase I did have 4 camshafts total, but it's still dual over-head cam design, since there are two cams above each bank of cylinders. You could call it a Quad Cam, though.

In the same way, the Phase II is a SOHC, but there are two banks of cylinders so it's a Twin Cam.

I guess you just can't say "over head".

-juice
    Yes, I know. I was just being silly :-)
    I had a feeling you knew, but just had to make sure the non-techies understood.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.